PDA

View Full Version : songs sung today which remind you of your chilhood

Murchiemannie
12-Sep-07, 19:18
I was brought back to my childhood through a tune on a toy belonging to my newest grandchild today.
The song was "you are my sunshine" and if I close my eyes I can see Ted the banjo strumming away as he went round the streets of Wick.
As kids we would run into the house and badger our Mums to give us a penny to pass on to him. I always remember his craggy weather beaten face which always had a smile for all the children.:D

pat
12-Sep-07, 20:35
I remember Teddy going around playing his banjo, always seemed to be sunny, he was always so happy and the youngsters all used to rush to hear him play, the more pennies we could get the longer he played. What would happen now if someone came round the streets like Teddy did long ago. I remember Teddy playing Teddy bears picnic and all the youngsters mesmerised. Oh dear Murchiemannie - you take me back a very long time.
Whenever I hear Eddie Calvert playing Oh My Papa, it reminds me of my uncle who used to play it on his windup record player, he died not long after he bought the record.

catnip
12-Sep-07, 20:38
There is a girl at my work who will burst into Morning Town. That song takes me back to playschool, I remember they had one of those record players in a box and now and again they would play some tunes, somehow Morning Town is the only one I remember.

ROCKING ROLLING RIDING

trix
12-Sep-07, 22:20
cud'n bree, cud'n bree, far d'ye get e bairny?
i got it fie a tinkler wifie walkin doon kinnairdy!!

i herd a mannie singin it e ither day an could hardly stop masel fie laffin. now i ca get it oot ma heid!! it brings me bak til when i wis a bairn, i hevna herd it for years.
dis anyone else ken at song??

Julia
12-Sep-07, 22:35
Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep by Middle of the Road? That's probably my first earliest memory of music....

trix
13-Sep-07, 00:53
Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep by Middle of the Road? That's probably my first earliest memory of music....

e person who sang at song wis called katie kissoon. shes sung vocals for roger waters (fie pink floyd) durin his live concerts. she hes got some voice on her :eek:

brokencross
13-Sep-07, 07:37
Being of the older ilk, one song which very much reminds me of my early childhood is "Scarlet Ribbons".

marlyn
13-Sep-07, 07:58
'one more step along the world I go' this really takes me right back to primary school assembly - I used to love singing this one!

Rheghead
13-Sep-07, 08:49
"Lily the Pink" :lol: Dunno who sang it though:lol:

I was born under a wandering star.

Thumper
13-Sep-07, 09:36
My Dad used to sing all the time so there are lots of songs thatremind me of my childhood he also used to write and sing his own songs which were great but he refused to write them down so they all went with him sadly :( He used to sing "the mucking of geordie's byre" and also one called "annie get your gun there's a worm in the garden" never did find out if that one was made up or a real song lol! He also did a great version of the old rugged cross and it still gets me to this day x

nannydip
13-Sep-07, 09:53
"When Irish eyes are smiling", my dad used to sing it when he had a dram.

lassieinfife
13-Sep-07, 10:25
"Lily the Pink" :lol: Dunno who sang it though:lol:

was the scaffold who sang that ....

poppett
14-Sep-07, 16:46
You are my Sunshine and Daisy Daisy

bluelady
15-Sep-07, 01:53
This was my favorite hymn in primary and has remained so til this day - 40 years on. It reminds me that no matter how poor we are, we always have riches in other ways
Jan Struther, 1901-1953
1. Daisies are our silver,
Buttercups our gold:
This is all the treasure
We can have or hold.

2. Raindrops are our diamonds
And the morning dew;
While for shining sapphires
We've the speedwell blue.

3. These shall be our emeralds
Leaves so new and green;
Roses make the reddest
Rubies ever seen.
4. God, who gave these treasures
To your children small,
Teach us how to love them
And grow like them all.

5. Make us bright as silver:
Make us good as gold;
Warm as summer roses
Let our hearts unfold.

6. Gay as leaves in April,
Clear as drops of dew
God, who made the speedwell,
Keep us true to you.

Jeemag_USA
15-Sep-07, 01:57
"Lily the Pink" . Dunno who sang it though:lol:

Yes it was The Scaffold, one of my favorites too. Anyone remember the Kircudbright Centipede :P

And one two three four five once I caught a fish alive, six seven eight nine ten then I put him back again. Pretty silly really [lol]

dunderheed
15-Sep-07, 07:18
the one song that i always remember is ali bali , my great granny used to sing it to me with her teeth oot.

on the subject of that song does anyone actually know if there was a sweet manufacturer in the old days called couter?

trix
15-Sep-07, 20:41
hey dunderheid,
ats funny cos i wis winderin at masel. i wis singin it wi e auld chile last nite when i wis drunk :D

i googled it for us an apparently it originated fie a toon in e scottish borders called peebles. john coulter an his wife maisie made toffee for their bairns an when they wisna fit til run e farm anymore they moved intil e toon.
they were really skint so he made toffees, wrapped them up in wax paper an went roond e toon an selt it e bairns for a bawbee - which is half a croon ;)

the charlatans
15-Sep-07, 20:56
Peggy Sue by Buddy Holly takes me right back to my mum and dads kitchen when the telly was off with the winter storms and my dad on the guitar.

Or 'Theres noone quite like Grandma'. i'm sorry but i bought that for my own Grandma.

glad i've got some taste now.

obiron
15-Sep-07, 21:01
one day at a time - lena martell. my grandpa always used to sing this when he had a sherry or two.

Aaldtimer
15-Sep-07, 21:09
hey dunderheid,
ats funny cos i wis winderin at masel. i wis singin it wi e auld chile last nite when i wis drunk :D

i googled it for us an apparently it originated fie a toon in e scottish borders called peebles. john coulter an his wife maisie made toffee for their bairns an when they wisna fit til run e farm anymore they moved intil e toon.
they were really skint so he made toffees, wrapped them up in wax paper an went roond e toon an selt it e bairns for a bawbee - which is half a croon ;)

The song is called "Coulter's Candy", and Trix A bawbee was a halfpenny! It would have been gey dear toffee at Half a Crown!!

trix
15-Sep-07, 21:14
aye, yer rite. da ken fit i wis thinkin :roll:

karia
15-Sep-07, 21:46
Thanks trix,

I had forgotten all about (mac and) katie Kissoon, you brought back a lot of memories.:D

I was but a child mind!;)

karia

trix
15-Sep-07, 22:09
hi karia,
lek i said before, i wis born too late!! :mad:

Snarfer
16-Sep-07, 01:06
Got the Traveling Wilburys Collection the other day and on it is a song called Nobodys Child. That took me back. My dad used to sing that at the new year when he'd had a dram or two.

sam
16-Sep-07, 02:12
lol i remember that song ali bali (ali bali ali bali bee sittin on yer mamies knee greetin for a wee boobee to buy some coulters candy ) dont know if the spelling is right also remember nobody's child, I still sing it to my little one :eek:

Aaldtimer
16-Sep-07, 02:16
The two songs I used to dread at Hogmany/New year gatherings:-Nobody's Chiyeld & Honky Tonk Angels...Aaargh!

marlyn
16-Sep-07, 07:17
[QUOTE=Jeemag_USA;271966]Yes it was The Scaffold, one of my favorites too. Anyone remember the Kircudbright Centipede :P

Jeemag strangely enough I was singing along to the wee kircudbright centipede just yesterday!! It is on a 'singing kettle' cd that we have in the car - don't know about the kids but it is one of my favourites! LOL

Anne x
17-Sep-07, 16:46
Waters of Kylesku and Grannies Hielan Hame was the songs in our house at New Year with Forty Shades of Green thrown in every now and again as our next door neighbour was from Limerick

trix
22-Sep-07, 13:29
when i wis a little boy,
ma grandma made me a brand new toy,
3 little bells, on a string,
she said it wis ma dingalingaling

ma dingaling, ma dingaling,
i want ye til play wi ma dingaling....(etc)

when i wis climbin up e wall,
i hed masel a little fall,
when i fell, i herd a bell,
id landed on ma dingalingaling

i wis singing at at ma work e ither day an ma boss telt me it wis innapropriate!! :eek:
i hed til sing e words til her in her office til show her that it wisna me who hed e dirty mind...[lol]

anneoctober
22-Sep-07, 14:07
was the scaffold who sang that ....
OMG! I remember the auxiliary nurses singing that after my appendix op, in the Bignold hospital, except one sang Lily the Pig :eek: and they all fell about laughing......did n't do my wound any good.....[disgust]

trix
22-Sep-07, 14:43
[quote=trix;271123]cud'n bree, cud'n bree, far d'ye get e bairny?
i got it fie a tinkler wifie walkin doon kinnairdy!!quote]

aw, i just found oot that cud'n bree wis a real mannie that lived in wiek years ago. he wis playin chicken wi e waves doon at e lifeboat shed one day and a beeg wave came over an swept him awie. apparently his body wis niver found :(
poor cud'n bree...

golach
22-Sep-07, 15:52
i got it fie a tinkler wifie walkin doon kinnairdy!!quote]

aw, i just found oot that cud'n bree wis a real mannie that lived in wiek years ago. he wis playin chicken wi e waves doon at e lifeboat shed one day and a beeg wave came over an swept him awie. apparently his body wis niver found :(
poor cud'n bree...
Trix, when I was little, the words that were sung to me were
Pudding Wife, Pudding Wife, far d'ye get the bairny?
Pudding Wife, Pudding wife, far d'ye get the bairny?
I got him from a tinkler wifie, comin roond the cairnie

karia
22-Sep-07, 16:20

Blimey!

If Social Services had been around all these songs would be lost to us.;)

karia

trix
22-Sep-07, 16:39

i wis singing it til ma auld wifies short ago and they say there are a few different versions.

i did feel a bit bad aboot poor cud'n bree. ma grany telt me e ither day that ma grandfaither (whos deid now) kent him weel.
i lek til think he widna be offended if he kent we wis singin aboot him.
least til a few he's gone, but no forgotten!

rest in peace, cud'n bree

mccaugm
22-Sep-07, 23:06
i got it fie a tinkler wifie walkin doon kinnairdy!!

i herd a mannie singin it e ither day an could hardly stop masel fie laffin. now i ca get it oot ma heid!! it brings me bak til when i wis a bairn, i hevna herd it for years.
dis anyone else ken at song??

Could you translate as I have no real idea what this poem is about? Thanks...

Torvaig
22-Sep-07, 23:56
hey dunderheid,

Don't think a bawbee was that valuable; I remember it as being a ha'penny!