PDA

View Full Version : Another Scottish Hero

George Brims
12-Sep-07, 18:37
I don't suppose it got much attention in the UK, but Dario Franchitti of Scotland has just won the IRL (Indycar) championship in the US, after a season that included winning the Indy 500 (last Scot to do that was Dario's hero, Jim Clark).

Jeemag is probably the only other orger to notice or maybe even care, but I thought I would bring it up.

Jeemag_USA
12-Sep-07, 18:40
Oh yes, I noticed, I watched :Razz I was going to drag up the old thread I had on the Indy 500, but couldn't find it and not many people seem bothered anyway.

Craig Ferguson did the presentation ceremony along with some other Scots, Dario got soaked in his suit again for the second time this year [lol]

Moira
12-Sep-07, 18:48
Did a forum search & found it for all our Indy fans :-
http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=26652&highlight=Indy+500

Margaret M.
12-Sep-07, 20:27
Dario and Ashley seem like a lovely couple -- didn't they get married in Skibo Castle?

George Brims
13-Sep-07, 18:26
Yes they did. She gives Dario great support, not just attending races but often acting as the best looking pit board holder in racing! How many women would stick their head out a hole in a fence as cars go past at 230mph?

She attracted some negative press on Sunday for criticising Milka Duno, the South American driver, for being too slow. She was hitting at the IRL too for not black-flagging Duno, who was a hazard all day. I'm sure many people resented the comments coming from an actress rather than a driver, but she was dead right. At one point Duno was passed by seven other drivers in a single lap, and Scott Goodyear, the former driver now commentating on ABC TV, said if she was going any slower they would have to assign her car a zip code!