PDA

View Full Version : McCanns legal fees...

justine
12-Sep-07, 12:18
I came across this which is now the breaking news on sky.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,91210-1283762,00.html

Now the real question is should they be allowed to use the money or not. I dont think it would be very fitting for them to use the fund money and i hope that the right decision is made....

johno
12-Sep-07, 12:26
if it turns out that they are innocent i dont see any reason why not.
but if they are proven guilty i think any money,s used in this way aught to be paid back in full, it appears that they have hired a top legal team at a cost of £500 per hour. its not going to take a rocket scientist to figure out that in a year the £1.3 million is going to make a few lawyers a lot better off

Tristan
12-Sep-07, 13:07
The money was donated to find Madeleine not to be spent on lawyer's fees. Under no circumstances should they be allowed to use it for their defence.

Ash
12-Sep-07, 13:29
i agree with tristan that the money shouldnt be used for legal fees at all

just saw on sky news that they want kate mcanns diary, surely if she had something to do with madeline going missing she wouldnt have written about it, :confused

quality
12-Sep-07, 13:39
From The Daily Mail online today @1 oclock.

The board controlling the Find Madeleine fund has decided against letting Kate and Gerry McCann use the money to pay their mounting legal costs.

porshiepoo
12-Sep-07, 16:08
And that's the correct decision.
Guilty or not, the fund is the 'Maddie fund' not the 'Defence fund'.

Julia
12-Sep-07, 22:44
I too am relieved they are unable to use it. Has it been used to fund their long-term stay in Portugal?

Rheghead
12-Sep-07, 23:30
There is a moral quandry here. Money will provide the best defence, so should we aprove the decision to deny the the access of the fund money even if it frees the McCanns to search for Madeleine and it gives them the the best legal defence? Personally, I would approve the release of monies to provide a legal defence.

Tristan
12-Sep-07, 23:53
Has it been used to fund their long-term stay in Portugal?

I imagine it has, but I would think that is in keeping with the spirit of the fund.

JAWS
13-Sep-07, 00:33
The news last night was that the McCanns themselves had sought legal advice to see if the Fund could be used for their legal costs and had been advised that it could not.
Today there has been a great display of the McCanns assuring people that "they" had decided they would not use the fund for legal costs.
Later there were statements that the Trustees had discussed the matter and decided they would not allow the Fund to be used for the McCanns legal costs.

There is, however, no reason that I can think of why the McCanns should not ask the public to contribute towards their defence using a different fund. I'm sure that with all the sympathy people are showing towards them that there would be no shortage of donations.
That being so I don't see the original Fund should need touching for that usage.

Rheghead
13-Sep-07, 08:43
Well jaws, I heard a conflicting report on sky news last night that the McCanns hadn't sought financial help from the fund for their legal defence.:confused

Has our news let us down?

2051donna
13-Sep-07, 09:07
i agree with tristan that the money shouldnt be used for legal fees at all

just saw on sky news that they want kate mcanns diary, surely if she had something to do with madeline going missing she wouldnt have written about it, :confused

Exactly, why would she write about it in her diary?!? U just wouldnt do it if u had something to hide, I think they inoocent enough altho its not looking good for them.. They have been watched constantly throughout their stay in Portugal that had they buried her somewhere surely someone would have noticed..

Ash
13-Sep-07, 09:17
Exactly, why would she write about it in her diary?!? U just wouldnt do it if u had something to hide, I think they inoocent enough altho its not looking good for them.. They have been watched constantly throughout their stay in Portugal that had they buried her somewhere surely someone would have noticed..

i know it just doesnt make sense, on sky news they said that its not a diary but a large notepad she wrote in about how she was feeling when madeline went missing, also they are taking gerrys laptop, i just hope they have had nothing do with it, she needs to be found, they should still be looking for her:~(

TRUCKER
13-Sep-07, 09:28
If they had been allowed to use the money it would put people off of giving money to other appeals.

nanoo
13-Sep-07, 12:28
According to todays papers a group of wealthy businessmen have got together and they will pay all legal fees for the McCanns.