PDA

View Full Version : Horrible Woman

Ash
12-Sep-07, 11:03
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/sussex/6989969.stm

some people are so sick, i have a cocker he has a tail, i dont see why some people find it such a deal

corgiman
12-Sep-07, 11:36
I absolutely agree but we also need to tackle the mindset of people who cause this by only wanting docked pups and while there are people still willing to do it to sell their pups the problem won't go away.

Ash
12-Sep-07, 11:46
two of my relatives have cocker spaniels with docked tails, and when i got my alfie i just realised how bad it is, he has a normal tail, its very long, cant imagine him with a docked tail, i dont know why anyone would only want a puppy with a docked tail![disgust]

corgiman
12-Sep-07, 11:54
just because some people cannot understand why anyone would want it, it does not stop the fact that people do. I know people who had a litter of Jack Russells and had an awful time rehoming them as people did not want them with tails and some people went as far as offering extra money if they would do it, which of course they refused.

macdf
12-Sep-07, 14:51
i to own a cocker spaniel who has her tail. had 1 previously when i was wee n she did not hav her tail, she used 2 shake her bum violently when she was excited! :)
i do not blieve in docking tails unless they are goin to b used for working dogs! if they r just goin 2 b pets i do not c the point in it! n if its goin 2 b done it should b done properly!
these people who wil not buy a dog if it has got its tail r pathetic!

Rheghead
12-Sep-07, 15:28
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/sussex/6989969.stm

some people are so sick, i have a cocker he has a tail, i dont see why some people find it such a deal

It is practice in Caithness to dock tails of lambs with just a knife, no anesthetic or owt. It will be safe to assume that lambs feel the same amount of pain and distress as a puppy on having its tail docked. Of course this is done for the animal's welfare but docking for puppies is also done for the same reason if they are gun dogs.

brandy
12-Sep-07, 23:04
very good point rheg.
is it not animal cruelty to dock a lambs tail with a knife?
sounds like mutilation to me.
whats good for the goose is good for the gander.. or not as the case may be.
i could not imagine taking a knife to bubbles tail ... however it is quite dangerous for her to have it.. she nearly knocks you down with it!
but seriously.. that is disturbing docking any animal without anistetic.. and pain relief.

rockchick
13-Sep-07, 19:33
I must admit I do not understand the Brit's desire for docked tails in dogs, although I can understand it in working dogs...

BUT

I was gobsmacked when I went to the vets with my wee kitten asking them to declaw the front claws when they snipped her...apparently that is never done in the UK unless there's a reason (infection, etc.) but where I come from (metropolitan Toronto, Canada) it is done on a regular basis on cats that are going to be indoor cats. Here it's apparently an indictable offence!!! but why? it makes living with cats so much easier...no destruction of your furniture, and they can still defend themselves with their back claws if necessary.

My cats in Canada were perfectly capable of climbing trees and defending themselves against dogs with just their back claws...but they didn't have that annoying clawing tendancy that cats have, so our furniture stayed in one piece.

corgiman
13-Sep-07, 19:36
I just clip our ragdolls nails every couple of weeks :D

_Ju_
13-Sep-07, 21:31
....and they can still defend themselves with their back claws if necessary.

To draw a comparison, an unfortunate amputee of both arms is still able to kick to defend themselves, but when confronted with able bodied people, is he/she really as able of defence? The answer is no. Cats do not use their hind legs/claws to fight/hunt. The use primarily the front legs. And though I am sure you commit to your cat for life, there are too many people who do not, and the declawed cat will have been given a permanent disability. That is why it is illegal and (in my opinion) more cruel than tail docking(though I endorse neither).

blondscot
13-Sep-07, 23:16
I have a springer who is docked but he was meant to be for working but things changed and i also have an old english sheepdog who is not docked and it did take a whiley to get used to her with a tail as they are normally docked but i dont think it has hindered her in any way as she uses it as a whip across your legs when you come in from work!!
I too do not agree with declawing a cats front claws i have several cats and all have their front claws and my furniture is still intact i just give them their own scratchers to use and have never had a problem, well done the vet for refusing to do it! (only my opinion!)

Wellies
14-Sep-07, 01:09
Brandy I take it that you have never seen fly strike then you would realise why lambs have their tails docked. It is one of the most cruel and disgusting things I have ever seen. Docking lambs is not to make them look pretty, the main reason is to prevent fly strike. When a sheep scours and has not had its tail docked it stays on the tail or hips then blue bottles lay their eggs on the area. I feel I do not need to explain further but if you wish I will.

Oddquine
14-Sep-07, 06:13
I wasn't aware that lambs' tails were cut off.......I always thought that it was tied off with a band to cut the blodd flow and allowed to shrivel and die.............a bit like the umbilical cord on a baby.

Come to think of it........that would be a handy way to "treat" paedophiles but substituting another part of their anatomy for the tail.

brandy
14-Sep-07, 06:42
im not saying it dosent need to be done. all im saying is that if.. (and by no means do i know anything about the subject) a lambs tail is just docked by taking a blade to it.. without any numbing or pain relief.. its no dif. that docking a dog without numbing or pain relief.. it dosent hurt any less.

Thumper
14-Sep-07, 13:34
I hate to play devils advocate here but is docking at birth any more cruel than circumsion at birth?Jewish boys have this done within days of being born and as far as I am aware they have no pain relief.Dogs and /or other animals that need it done for health or work reasons should be allowed to be done,if it's purely cosmetic then no there is no need for it.I have a docked dog and when I see one with a tail they do look strange to me BUT I wouldn't get it done just for the "look" it creates only to allow a dog to safely do what it is trained for x

Mr_Me19
14-Sep-07, 17:49
I'm with you, Thumper, on this. My dog also has a docked tail and I see nothing wrong with it. There are plenty of reasons to have it done. I don't see the need for it being done for cosmetic reasons either though. That is just cruelty. If there is a need then I can see why it is done. And just for the record it is not always done without anesthetic.

lady penelope
14-Sep-07, 23:16
When my mum's dog had pups the vet docked thier tails. They squeal and cry and for a few days after the iodine dabbed on the wounds must sting.
This was a long time ago and the dogs would not have been KC registered if they had their tails. I am so glad the law has changed.