PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Names

Mandy Clarkson
11-Sep-07, 20:42
Can anyone help with the female name Jessie. Is this a shortened version of a name, and if so please can you tell me what it might be.

Thanks in advance for any ideas

Mandy:D

coastown
11-Sep-07, 20:53
Jessie is a shorter name for Jessica as far as i am aware :)

Lindz
11-Sep-07, 20:57
I may be wrong, but I seem to think its Jamesina. I'm sure there was a great great aunt in my family with that name!

Greenrunner
11-Sep-07, 20:59
Also used for Janet in past

Mandy Clarkson
12-Sep-07, 18:53
Many thanks for your replies, I will look under the suggested names

Mandy:)

Angela
12-Sep-07, 19:03
Jessie was used interchangeably with Janet/Jannet/Jennet throughout my family. :)

Big Jean
12-Sep-07, 21:16
Jessie was used interchangeably with Janet/Jannet/Jennet throughout my family. :)

Mine also . Was this a common thing to do ?
It does make things more difficult ... well perhaps 'interesting' would be a better word .

SAMITCHELL7
12-Sep-07, 23:11
Its very confusing isn't it my Granny's name was Jessie
Yet my Auntie is Shiela and she is also known as Jessie, My mum often told me i was named after both my granny's Jessie and Ann, but my first name is Shona. Something to do with The Gaelic meaning of Jessie....must try and find out

pamela fayle
24-Sep-07, 12:20
In Scotland in the 17-1800s, Janet and Jessie were interchangeable as were Jean and Jane. It is very common.

Anne x
24-Sep-07, 13:04
JeZebell or Jesebelle was another most Jamesinas were called Ina

htwood
24-Sep-07, 23:21
My grandmother was called Jessie or Jess, and her real name was Janet. Yet her own grandmother was also Janet, but she was called Jenny.

robynaus
25-Sep-07, 01:22
JeZebell or Jesebelle was another most Jamesinas were called Ina

Always thought Ina was short form of Rosina my daughters second name after her GGmother. regards robyn

Angela
25-Sep-07, 12:40
Lots of "Ina"s in my family, shortened from Hughina, Robertina, Christina, Donaldina, Jamesina, Johnina...and so on. It's caused me quite a few problems finding them at times....and telling them apart :roll:
My mum was called Alexandra after her grandfather Alexander -thankfully not "Alexanderina", which you do find as well.
The most unusual "ina" ending name Ive found so far in my family is probably "Malcolmina" -poor girl, what a mouthful! :eek:

Anne x
25-Sep-07, 13:48
one that got me for a wee while was Elizabeth >> Beth Betty Bessie Liz Or Lizzy /Lis or Liza eventually got there

airdlass
25-Sep-07, 14:52
I think sometimes it was a case of "anything goes" when it came to sticking "ina" on to the end of a name.
I have among mine - Neilina, Davidina, Anderina, Charlesina, Benjamina, Edwina, Tomina, Alexanderina/Alexina, Jacobina, Robertina/Robina, Dolina/Donaldina, Georgina, Williamina etc etc..........

I also have Euphemia/Effie/Effy/Sofia/Sophia: Elizabeth/Isabella/Eliza/Bella

Angela
25-Sep-07, 15:18
airdlass, do you remember it was you who found my great aunt Hughina Mowat's marriage for me?
Not only did she appear as "Ina", she also had the temerity to get married as far away as Helmsdale.....!
With that info as a starting point, I've managed to find out a lot more about her life ....thank you VERY much! :D:D

airdlass
25-Sep-07, 15:37
airdlass, do you remember it was you who found my great aunt Hughina Mowat's marriage for me?
Not only did she appear as "Ina", she also had the temerity to get married as far away as Helmsdale.....!
With that info as a starting point, I've managed to find out a lot more about her life ....thank you VERY much! :D:D

You're very welcome Angela. Only too happy to help.

Yes our ancestors like to keep us on our toes sometimes! All part of the fun.

marionq
26-Sep-07, 20:02
On the subject of the many versions of male names with "ina" tacked on the end............ as I understand it this is a corruption or anglicisation of the Gaelic for "daughter of" which is nighean. It sounds quite ugly in English at times with names like Murdochina but "daughter of Murdoch"" has a certain family charm about it said in Gaelic in particular. My grandmother used the Gaelic versions of our names and they sounded quite different to what was on our birth certificates!

Marion

Angela
26-Sep-07, 20:10
On the subject of the many versions of male names with "ina" tacked on the end............ as I understand it this is a corruption or anglicisation of the Gaelic for "daughter of" which is nighean. It sounds quite ugly in English at times with names like Murdochina but "daughter of Murdoch"" has a certain family charm about it said in Gaelic in particular. My grandmother used the Gaelic versions of our names and they sounded quite different to what was on our birth certificates!

Marion

I agree, Marion. My father's family were Gaelic speakers from Wester Ross and all their names sound quite beautiful in Gaelic....:)

justine
26-Sep-07, 20:28
hope this helps a little...Jessie comes from the Hebrew yishai 'Riches' or a Gift..,The form was most promently used as a male name but it became a popular name in scotland for females.It is a variation of JANET...Other variants are jesse, jessica, and jasmine.....

robynaus
28-Sep-07, 01:56
Thanks to everyone with the "Ina" information. genealogy is facinating and so much information comes from this site even if I wasn't looking for family connections regards to all robyn

Stephen
04-Oct-07, 00:17
Male Name - Origins in Israel. Jessica is a female name with origin in Israel. Jessie may be a female derivative of the male name Jesse.

/R

Mamie_2
10-Oct-07, 15:25
All my Jessie's in Caithness are Janet's

Mamie

Stephen
10-Oct-07, 23:28
Imagine that! It'll take me a while to figure how Janet morphed to Jessie!

caroline
10-Oct-07, 23:40
Thanks to everyone with the "Ina" information. genealogy is facinating and so much information comes from this site even if I wasn't looking for family connections regards to all robyn

Here is some of my aka names in my family tree

Alexanderina or Alexina Cennie
Isabella Cybil, Iris or Bella, Bella is another name which gets added on to names
Mary Cissy
Margaret Peggy or Pearl

Will never be able to work out how the aka names came about.

Bonnie Parker-Duke
14-Oct-07, 23:08
Were Margaret and Mary ever interchangable?

My g,g, g grandfather and mother were Alexander Farquhar and Margaret Harper. However, in the first census (1861) after their apparent marriage and their first child's birth, they are listed as Alexr Farquhar and Mary. Could Mary be the same person as Margaret? I can't find a record of Margaret's death, her marriage to Alexander or Mary's marriage to Alexander.

I would appreciate any light anyone could shed!

Kingetter
15-Oct-07, 01:39
Were Margaret and Mary ever interchangable?

My g,g, g grandfather and mother were Alexander Farquhar and Margaret Harper. However, in the first census (1861) after their apparent marriage and their first child's birth, they are listed as Alexr Farquhar and Mary. Could Mary be the same person as Margaret? I can't find a record of Margaret's death, her marriage to Alexander or Mary's marriage to Alexander.

I would appreciate any light anyone could shed!

I wonder if this group can help -
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Farquhar_Genealogy/

James.

Bonnie Parker-Duke
15-Oct-07, 02:03
James, thank you! I think you may be close to a genius if not a full-fledged one! I have signed up for the Farquhar forum on Yahoo and am waiting for approval! Thanks again!

caroline
15-Oct-07, 18:27
I wonder if this group can help -
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Farquhar_Genealogy/

James.

Does the following group have Farquhars from Staxigoe. My g grandmother was a Farquhar from Staxigoe and her family lived at Elzy Cottage

Mamie_2
15-Oct-07, 18:51
I have Farquhar's from Staxigoe on my database.

Eric Farquhar and Mary Davidson. I have them from 1841-1861 censuses.

'course we may have been in contact before as I do have a note that a Caroline is descended from David F. and Helen Bremner.

Helen's brother Benjamin married my great grandaunt Margaret Dunnet.

Is that you?

Mamie aka Maryann

Kingetter
15-Oct-07, 20:14
Does the following group have Farquhars from Staxigoe. My g grandmother was a Farquhar from Staxigoe and her family lived at Elzy Cottage

Caroline,

I'm not a member so cannot answer your question. I saw it whilst browsing and thought it worth passing on. It is a group however, not a message board / forum like this, and you would have to join to find out. I do expect that there will be some very proficient researchers (and helpful) so why not join and ask? Nothing to lose and its free.

James.