PDA

View Full Version : Laurie/Lawrie

lindadorren
10-Sep-07, 15:41
In my Family tree I have Margaret Laurie, born 25 December 1826 in Olrig to Thomas Laurie and Margaret Durran.
Margaret married James Sutherland in January 1849 and they had 12 children while living at Bower. Both are buried in Halkirk graveyard. There is a fine gravestone, currently lying on the ground, which was erected by their son Gilbert Laurie Sutherland, from Canada. Does anyone have any more info on this family or the Laurie family from Olrig?

Thanks for any help.

Linda

Rosemary Skea
12-Sep-07, 05:40
In my Family tree I have Margaret Laurie, born 25 December 1826 in Olrig to Thomas Laurie and Margaret Durran.
Margaret married James Sutherland in January 1849 and they had 12 children while living at Bower. Both are buried in Halkirk graveyard. There is a fine gravestone, currently lying on the ground, which was erected by their son Gilbert Laurie Sutherland, from Canada. Does anyone have any more info on this family or the Laurie family from Olrig?

Thanks for any help.

Linda

Afternoon Linda,

You will find the Lawrie family in the 1841 census in Olrig with children Margaret, Jane, Janet, Gilbert, Elizabeth and Jemma, who is Jamesina. A son James was born in 1843. You will find all this info on FREEREG. Their mother was Janet Durran - not Margaret.

You will find the family in 1851 still in Olrig, in 1861 and 1871 they are at Whitefield in Bower. All this info is on FREECEN.

In the MI for the Dunnet burial ground I found - Thos Laurie 1.1875, w Janet Durran 4.1885 das Annie, Ina.

Rosemary

Rosemary Skea
12-Sep-07, 06:37
I forgot to say in my reply that the Sutherland family is at Stemster Bower in the 1841 census and 1851 census - blacksmiths by trade. James's father and mother are buried in the adjoining grave in Halkirk - Don Sutherland smith Stemster 29.4.1860 74, w Isa Budge 4.7.1866 78.

My Caithness family is Budge but I don't think there is a connection here.

Rosemary

thatscat
12-Sep-07, 21:57
Hi Linda

Thomas (Thos) Laurie was my (maternal)Gt Gt Grndpa. My records also show him marrying Janet Durran in Bower on 10.2.1826. I visited their (it also refers to their daughters Annie and Ina) tombstone in Dunnet this August. He died Jan 1875 and Janet in April 1885. Their son James was my Gt Grndpa - farmer and land law reformer in the area. Let me know if you want more info on this side of the family.

Catriona Price

Rosemary Skea
12-Sep-07, 22:44
Hi Linda

Thomas (Thos) Laurie was my (maternal)Gt Gt Grndpa. My records also show him marrying Janet Durran in Bower on 10.2.1826. I visited their (it also refers to their daughters Annie and Ina) tombstone in Dunnet this August. He died Jan 1875 and Janet in April 1885. Their son James was my Gt Grndpa - farmer and land law reformer in the area. Let me know if you want more info on this side of the family.

Catriona Price

Morning Catriona, Thomas and Janet's marriage was also registered in Olrig . Their intent to marry was dated 12/1/1826 and married on 10/2/1826.

Rosemary

lindadorren
12-Sep-07, 23:21
Ladies,

Thanks very much for both your replies. I tried out FreeCen for the first time and foud it veryuseful. I then spent a fair amount of money on Scotland's People following things up!!
I'll take some time and digest the info and see what I can add. A photo of the Dunnet graveyard would be great. When last in Caithness I didn't visit it but do have photos somewhere of numerous other graveyards including Halkirk, Reay, Trostan etc.
Somewhere in the mists of time we might well find that we are all distantly related - Caithness isn't that big!

Linda :)

thatscat
12-Sep-07, 23:29
Hi Linda

By chance I did take a digi photo of the Thos/Janet TS in Dunnet churchyard (not the churchyard itself) if that was of interest ?

Catriona

Rosemary Skea
14-Sep-07, 02:54
I have found a Lawrie in my family as well. Christina Lawrie was married to John Mackay who was a blacksmith at West Side of Dunnet. They had 6 of a family between 1786 and 1797 and their youngest son JOhn married Elizabeth Budge in Dunnet in 1823. She was my 2nd great grand aunt. The only info I have on Christina is her name on her son's death certificate.

Does she come into any of your Lawrie family trees ?

Rosemary

thatscat
17-Sep-07, 20:37
Rosemary
I am only in the early stages of my family history search, but in my digging around the other evening went back another generation to my Gt Gt Gt Gt grandfather a Gilbert Laurie (m. to Jannet Brotchie) who had 6 of a family, one of whom was a Christian Laurie c. 2.6.1754 Dunnet. As names are not always "transcribed" correctly, could this be your Christina, I wonder? I still have more cross referencing to do on this generation to verify the name.
Catriona

lindadorren
18-Sep-07, 09:50
Catriona,

Looking through my Laurie info which is very limited I appear to have a Gilbert Laurie married to Jane McDonald who then had a son Thomas in 1796 (mentioned in my first post in this thread). He would appear to be my 4th great grandfather. Does this tie in with any of your Lauries? Previously you said you had a digital photo of a graveyard, would you mind PMing me with a copy of it?

Linda

lindadorren
18-Sep-07, 10:01
Catriona,

Looked again at my info and realised that your James Laurie and my Margaret Laurie are brother and sister - so I suppose we are somehow distantly related. I don't have any info on your branch of the Lauries but do have some on the descendants of other family members. Would you be prepared to share your family info in exchange for anything I have which you don't?

I'd really like to solve where Gilbert Laurie Sutherland went in Canada and what he did but haven't had the time to tackle him.

Linda

thatscat
18-Sep-07, 20:10
Hello Linda

Yes, your Margaret Laurie and my (Gt Grandfather) James Laurie were brother and sister on my records too, therefore, we are distantly related. I am v happy to share records with you although I am not entirely sure the best way to go about it, what did you have in mind?

My records for Margaret Laurie Sutherland's family are sketchy - only those passed down to me from my grandfather - I believe they had 7 children (Gilbert, Tom, Willie, Margaret, Isabella, Mary & Jessie) - the only details I have on Gilbert is same as you, he went to Canada and nothing more.

I'll get the photo of Dunnet T/S for Thomas & Jannet asap.

Do you have any records of other siblings of Thomas Laurie B. 1796?

Look forward to hearing from you.
Catriona:)