PDA

View Full Version : Injured Gull

teenybash
10-Sep-07, 15:18
Does anyone know if there is a bird sanctuary or rescue centre for a gull with a broken wing.
He came down yesterday after being tossed into overhead wires. He is eating and quite happy in my old caravan at the moment. Any info appreciated.

carasmam
10-Sep-07, 16:42
I would phone the SSPCA at Balmore, they will keep you right. Sorry I cant think of anything else that may be helpful :(

teenybash
11-Sep-07, 21:25
The injured gull now seems to be on the mend...eating a little, plooping A LOT and sitting up on a bag of barley looking out the caravan window. It is also able to move the injured wing which I tried imobilising. So far so good. Any advice on his care will be greatly appreciated.:Razz

Shabbychic
17-Sep-07, 16:07
How is the gull doing now? Hope it is on the mend.

Dog-eared
17-Sep-07, 21:17
does it drink water ?

teenybash
24-Sep-07, 00:58
The injured gull seems to be doing fine...eating loads and is quite fussy. Going through pilchards, sardines and white fish like crazy....I am having to stock up. {*;*} I though they ate anything but, not this one!!!! Lovely character and very gentle taking food from me. The wing is still tied [I don't think it will mend enough for flying] and seems happy enough at the moment.
Does anyone know if they get on with chooks, or will they fight I would like to put him outside in a pen....Anyone know.
So kind of people to ask about him/her. Could do with giving the gull a name.....any suggestions?

luskentyre
24-Sep-07, 23:16
Glad to hear the gull is doing ok. It's so good of you to care for it so well.

As for a name... how about Gulliver?!

pirateeye
26-Sep-07, 00:52
me and my friend rescued a gull 7 weeks ago and he had a broken wing,really bad, he won't fly again we don't think but he is doig very well has eaten lots from day one and he doesn't eat a lot but enough. goes through much water though. he eats pilchards and cat food but don't forget for your gull to soak his dry food in water. like never give him dry bread. and you can give him cat biscuits, once they have been soaked in water. birdy should e fine if you keep his wing tied and bandaged but remember to check for infection regularly and let him keep it dry (no baths) until he is fully healed. i am looking forward to when my gull who i cal noddy can have his first bath. he has only bathed i a small bowl before so he won't get his wing soaked but he will be very excited on his real bath day
hope birdy is still doing ok

teenybash
26-Sep-07, 17:58
Gulliver is doing fine...kepps pulling his bandage off. Eating well and has even been outside in a little rough enclosure [chickenwire propped against stakes] and had a shallow bath in a Tesco basin.
He is very curious about the hens and hopefully with the passing of time they will accept him....and not dab at him.
Thankyou all for sending happy kind thoughts for him.;)