PDA

View Full Version : A tip for thickening soup

Lavenderblue2
10-Sep-07, 12:13
Well today feels like the middle of winter so I've made some chicken and leek soup - now I often throw in a small handful of rice to thicken it but today I put in a few discs of Auntie Bessie's mashed potato and it worked a treat.

I only have A/B's mash in my freezer becasue a relative told me how good it was but when I tried it last week out of couriosity I felt it had the texture of wallpaper paste - YUK!
I will continue to buy it now though to thicken my soup with from time to time.

LB

rockchick
10-Sep-07, 18:24
Smash, or those powdered potato flakes, works as well (and you can store them in your cupboard and free up some freezer space)

Lavenderblue2
11-Sep-07, 07:52
Smash, or those powdered potato flakes, works as well (and you can store them in your cupboard and free up some freezer space)

Now Rockchick, I always thought Smash WAS wallpaper paste :lol: but it would do same the task, so that's another good tip.

However, I'll stick to A/B's or better still, the good old Kerr's Pink for my soups.

The main thing of course, is that we continue to make our own soups as often as we can, no matter what we put in them.

LB

hotrod4
30-Oct-07, 08:44
To thicken soup I often use a "silver lining" or scouse roux.
Mix some flour and water together and add to thicken
So called a Silver lining by one of the chefs I worked with because if one of the prents did something wrong he would say "every cloud............. and voila it was fixed :)

donsinc
27-Nov-07, 18:58
I like to simply peel and shred a fresh potato into the soup and let it continue cooking for a half hour or so. It thickens it nicely, improves the flavour and adds to the volume of the soup.

gem1982
28-Nov-07, 00:06
I usaully use a wee bit of cornflour in soups or stews or anything like that to thicken them up - add it, let it simmer for a bit then hey presto thick soup no taste! You have to watch with it though because a little goes a long way so if you add too much well it turns mega thick!