PDA

View Full Version : Is a '1984' scenario inevitable?

mostlyharmless
09-Sep-07, 20:15
What parallel's a moral decline? The break up of families and communities?
If so are more and more laws,fines and camera's to be introduced to force us to be a 'proper' community.

DNA samples to be taken from everyone ? This seems like the final nail in the inevitable trail.....

j4bberw0ck
09-Sep-07, 21:43
Good point. There are those of us who wonder if it isn't so much the State cracking down on a moral decline, as the State cracking down on trying to control everything that leads to the moral decline.

It's an interesting chain of thought. But you are right; 1984 is here; the "turbo" version isn't far behind.

balto
09-Sep-07, 21:50
there is no disapline anymore with the kids that is whats going on, you cant even give them a good slap(it never did me any harm) now my daughter has been informed that if you shout at them then thats child abuse and that came from a teacher. well all i can say is hand them the knives guns drugs now and let them get on with it as we have no power to control our kids

Mr_Me19
10-Sep-07, 07:46
Well we do have Big Brother and Room 101......

Ok so they are TV programs but its still the start of things? Maybe thats what happened in the novel? Lol. :lol:

Lolabelle
10-Sep-07, 07:54
I was thinking "Microchipping" ? That should keep governments happy. They can even link it up to satelite, we could have built in navmans. :evil

Thumper
10-Sep-07, 09:40
Hey Lola that might not be a bad idea after a few too many drinkies we could at least find out where we were when we wake up :).....only joking!!!!!

Andrew C
10-Sep-07, 13:27
What parallel's a moral decline? The break up of families and communities?
If so are more and more laws,fines and camera's to be introduced to force us to be a 'proper' community.

DNA samples to be taken from everyone ? This seems like the final nail in the inevitable trail.....

The more laws you make, the more people will want to break them. Someone already commented elsewhere that even things like ASBOs are treated like medals. No, I don't believe legislation, cameras etc get us anywhere...they all just treat symptoms instead of getting to the heart of the issue.

Most sociologists would probably tell you that a way to improve a community is to build it up...create opportunities for it to come together, build a sense of unity, support families, support children and youth. More than that, give a community a good sense of 'pride' in its acheivements and a strong sense of identity. Thats why the org and the local newspapers are great tools.

I've spent the last 10 years or so living in or near large cities in Scotland and England and Wick has a whole lot more to offer in terms of community, but I'm sure there are still a tonne of stuff that could happen to make things better.