PDA

View Full Version : Old South School

Jimbo
02-Aug-05, 18:36
Can anyone tell me which year "the old South School" ( Kinnaird Street/Macrae Street) closed and when the building was pulled down?

tisme
02-Aug-05, 20:03
I'm not too sure when it closed, I remember playing 'hoosies' in the foundations for the new houses when I was about 8-10? My dad salvaged one of the pupils chairs before they were all tipped, and it still sits in his bedroom, although it's painted the most hideous green colour it's still in one piece.

tisme
02-Aug-05, 20:07
Doh - which would have been about '70 - 72 :eyes

trinkie
03-Aug-05, 07:25
They began to dismantle the school in 1964.

SD

tisme
03-Aug-05, 08:28
Your right SD, thought about what I had written last night, and realised I must have been way younger than 10, probably nearer 5!! Must be old age playing tricks with my mind. Asked my dad this morning and he said it was early '60s.

ronmck
03-Aug-05, 12:54
I started school at the old South School in 1955. I then went to the old Pulteneytown Academy (Assembly Rooms) for Primary 2 and then back to the South School for Primary 3. It was then back to the old Academy for Primary 4 & 5 it was during Primary 5 (1960) that we moved to the new Pulteneytown Academy in Seaforth Avenue, this heralded the closure of the old South School. As I recall it lay empty for a few years and if I remember correctly the Wick Players used to store their props/costumes there. I agree with the last post which suggests that it was demolished around 1964.