PDA

View Full Version : first a whale, now a shark

Tugmistress
02-Aug-05, 17:52
if you want to see some piccies of a Basking Shark cruising around the 'Karen' from last thursday evening, they are in my gallery now under the 'wildlife' section.

Kenn
02-Aug-05, 18:30
Thanks for the link..now do you think you can keep the whale sharks around the bay for a few more weeks so I can see them for myself?
Enjoyed the pics and will check the sight regularly from now on.

kas
02-Aug-05, 19:07
There was a shark at Scrabster about 5o'clock last night.
Boyfriends mum seen it first, I only got a quick glimpse of it. The same as your photos, you could see the tail fin and the dorsal fin. She could see it swimming under the surface only meters off the beach.

How big was the basking you saw?

This shark didnt seem too big. We had heard a portbeagle was in Dunnet bay on Sunday, so we thought that this was maybe it. There was large shoals of mackerel in the harbour mouth at the same time.

Still minkie in the bay as well as loads of porpoise and some white beaked dolphin.
Keep putting all this stuff on your web pages its great.

tisme
02-Aug-05, 19:58
Nice little site you got there. I will be coming home in a fortnight, what's the chances of me seeing any sharks or whales? Never have in 20 years. Only sharks I spot will be taking my money from behind the bar no doubt.

Tugmistress
02-Aug-05, 20:45
There was a shark at Scrabster about 5o'clock last night.
Boyfriends mum seen it first, I only got a quick glimpse of it. The same as your photos, you could see the tail fin and the dorsal fin. She could see it swimming under the surface only meters off the beach.

How big was the basking you saw?

This shark didnt seem too big. We had heard a portbeagle was in Dunnet bay on Sunday, so we thought that this was maybe it. There was large shoals of mackerel in the harbour mouth at the same time.

Still minkie in the bay as well as loads of porpoise and some white beaked dolphin.
Keep putting all this stuff on your web pages its great.

Hi Kas,
Unfortunately we did not see the Basker in person, but we were given access to the video footage of it and turned it into digital for the stills in the gallery. The gap between the dorsal and caudal fins was estimated at about 8ft so that would put the whole thing roughly about 16ft.

The Minke and Porpoise etc should be around a while yet as the water is still warm here and a large part of their diet at the moment are the large macky shoals we seem to be having compared to a lot of the UK.

The Macky have really only just started coming close in and will also probably be around a few more weeks, though i would expect everything to start making its way off to wherever by mid september

If you or anyone ever gets any pics of the marine life around the bay here, be it dead or alive, then please email me and let me know or even call if you see something that may be of interest.... my mobile is 07869 231 723

Tisme

hopefully the above answers your question too :D
and thank you ... glad you like the site :D