PDA

View Full Version : Haunted Hotel Rooms in Caithness

The Pepsi Challenge
09-Sep-07, 00:31
Hey Folks,

I saw a movie called 1408 recently - it's based on the Stephen King short story of the same name. In short, it's about a sceptical ghost writer who takes up the challenge of staying in America's most haunted hotel room. For a bit of fun, I decided to stay in one of Scotland's most haunted hotel rooms: Room 5 at the Cross Keys Hotel in Peebles. I wrote a feature on the experience in the Daily Record - here's the link:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/features/tm_method=full%26objectID=19753426%26siteID=66633-name_page.html

Now, I know of several other haunted hotel rooms in Scotland, but if you know of any in the Caithness area, please point me in the right direction. (Am already familiar with one at the former John O' Groats House Hotel.) I am hoping to include one from the county in a new book. Thanks.

Cheers,

TPC*

Jeid
09-Sep-07, 01:39
Aha... so it was your face I saw in the paper today... I just flicked through very quickly and saw ginger hair. Was too busy today though and people kept nicking my paper off of me at work :(

sassylass
09-Sep-07, 01:57
goodness me Jeid, I keep trying to squash the bug that's your avatar!

The Pepsi Challenge
09-Sep-07, 01:57
Couldn't have been me you saw then - I've got bleach-blond hair :)

Fran
09-Sep-07, 03:59
Aha... so it was your face I saw in the paper today... I just flicked through very quickly and saw ginger hair. Was too busy today though and people kept nicking my paper off of me at work :(

I have been trying for ages to squash a beastie running about on my screen and now realise it is your avatar, ha ha.....good one.

newpark
09-Sep-07, 07:15
I hear room 8 at Tulloch Castle in Dingwall is haunted. Not Caitrhness I know but close.

The Pepsi Challenge
09-Sep-07, 07:37
I hear room 8 at Tulloch Castle in Dingwall is haunted. Not Caitrhness I know but close.

Cheers! I'll look into it - many thanks.

Jeid
09-Sep-07, 09:38
Sorry about the bug... it seems everyone is trying to squash it..

botheed
09-Sep-07, 10:55
huna house hotel:eek:

katarina
09-Sep-07, 12:12
Sorry about the bug... it seems everyone is trying to squash it..

get rid of it! i hate the things!

htwood
09-Sep-07, 16:34
A few years back, sassylass and I stayed at a B&B on Orkney, an old mill. I could get the name if Orkney is close enough for your book. I gotta tell you though, the man was proudly showing us the room where he said he saw a ghost come right thru the ceiling, but neither sassy nor I felt any presence. Our door was rattled good in the middle of the night, but it was the owners wife coming in from a night out LOL so it was that other kind of "spirit". -H

Douglas Cowie
09-Sep-07, 17:11

I have stayed at this hotel in the room next to number 8 and there is certainly an atmosphere about the place. I slept sound enough (probably due to a copious quantitly of red grape) but there are stories of guests fleeing the room in the middle of the night in absolute terror.
The hotel does a ghost tour and the story behind why the hotel is haunted is quite disturbing if you contact the hotel they are quite happy to talk about it and promote the hotel as being haunted.
Aside from the ghost story it's a beautiful building and a very good quality hotel ( I was on expenses!)

Julia
09-Sep-07, 21:59
Relatives of my Grandfather used to work at Ackergill Tower, I think she was the housekeeper and he was the gardener, we are talking a long long time ago here, anyhoo their dog would always refuse to enter one room in particular in the tower. It's reputedly haunted by 'The Green Lady', she is the ghost of Helen Gunn who leapt to her death after being kidnapped and held captive in the tower.