PDA

View Full Version : Good Ol' Battle o the Bands

imamackay
02-Aug-05, 13:24
Does anyone remember playing in the Battle of the Bands' competitions at school many years ago? I remember I played Bass (not very well) in a band with Dawn Mackay in Thurso High School but don't remember who else was in the band. The only thing I can remember is that we got disqualified!! Ooops... Think it was about 1995-6.

Was just reminiscing about bands that were really good then, Isaac Sutherland was just starting a band then. Here he is pretty good and still in Caithness...is that right??

moncur
02-Aug-05, 13:36
Aye Isaac was doin the sound for a battle of the bands in the viewfirth a few weeks ago. Yeah i remember e battle of the bands. Ah those were the good ol' days!
Big Hint: dont go on stage wearing a kilt and sit on the monitors at the front of the stage otherwise you will get curious folk lookin where they shouldnt be looking!

imamackay
02-Aug-05, 13:42
Big Hint: dont go on stage wearing a kilt and sit on the monitors at the front of the stage otherwise you will get curious folk lookin where they shouldnt be looking!

Think the judges were looking where they shouldn't, that's why we got disqualified....could also be because our singers got carried away with "Fever" and their very short skirts!! Ooops

theone
20-Aug-05, 02:39
Anyone got a list of winners through the years?

94? Stuart Connaghan, Isaac Sutherland and Andy Cuthbert? Can't mind their name?
95? Rubber band, went on to be buddha crush without the singer
96? A Queen Tribute band
97? New experience, great lot of local lads gigged all over the place for a while
98?.............

Thurso High used to have a great music scene. Whatever you could say about old watson he certainly managed to fill that hall every second month with a concert. Heard the music dept is defunked now with only colin frame left?

moncur
20-Aug-05, 14:33
im not too sure of the years but previous winners were:

1999 - voodoo queen (ian maclean, david horne, logan and a few other boys)
2000 -silverstone (ben sutherland, paul gunn, andrew manson and another boy on guitar)
2001 - goldrock (ben sutherland, kev macleod, richard shanks, jamie riddel and paul gunn)
2002 - andy macleod, brian wade and hamish. not sure if their name was acid inc, zinc or something similar.

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Aug-05, 05:45
Mr. Watson, eh? If ever there was someone who scammed a living cruising down easy street it was him. It was a scandal and a perennial slap in the face to students, parents, tax payers, the world of music and the teaching profession that he should have dominated (haunted) Thurso High School's Music Department for what seemed like aeons. His condescending nature, utter incompetance and complete inability to teach were unmatched by any other teacher during my time at High School. People measure success in many different ways; I'm glad to say I became a success in music without his help. Unlike the Murphys... :D

doreenhedgehog
21-Aug-05, 19:32
I became a success in music without his help. Unlike the Murphys... :D

Tee-hee.

The Pepsi Challenge
21-Aug-05, 21:06
Forgive me, I should have said "unlike doreenhedgehog."

zebedy
29-Aug-05, 20:30
There singer was callum mackay.. he was a scary that cud sing KoRN slang singing ttly peachy! they were awesome!

zebedy
29-Aug-05, 20:31
and jeid i hink.. that was when he wore a bra and pants on stage... wat a hero! :roll:

Jeid
29-Aug-05, 22:33
i never won battle of the bands

theone
30-Aug-05, 11:09
Should it not be the running around in bra and pants you deny Jeid?

Jeid
30-Aug-05, 19:45
hell no, that was ace. i had a pretty awesome blonde wig too. couldn't see anything though. i was a pretty hawtt chick