PDA

View Full Version : Best Way To Fake It

ashaw1
08-Sep-07, 20:05
I am really fed up with looking pasty and thought i'd cheer myself up with a bit of a tan, can't afford a couple of weeks abroad so i decided it would need to be the d.i.y option. But what is the best way to do it?

Sunbed?

Self Tan Moisturiser?

Self Tan?

Spray Tan At Salon?

golach
08-Sep-07, 20:13
Do you really want to take the risk?
http://www.suntan4u.co.uk/goodnbad.html

karia
08-Sep-07, 20:13
Hi ashaw1,

Could you tell us what skin type and colouring you have as it is horses for courses.

I am fair and really like Piz Buin medium, it doesnt streak, looks natural, and is easily topped up.

Karia

anneoctober
08-Sep-07, 20:17
self tan moisturiser and possibly a friend to get at the , um, akward bits! There's some really good ones out there now. If I could muster up the nerve, I'd be in that spray booth faster than David Dickenson... :lol:
I first tried fake tan many years ago, burnt orange was the colour that springs to mind.....NOT a good look when you're 7 months pregnant :eek:

ashaw1
08-Sep-07, 20:21
Hi! I have fair skin, blue eyes and freckles, i have used sun beds before and don't really go that brown but i do burn fairly easily. In the past i have used fake tans but i really don't want to end up orange or streaky. I have an important event coming up in 3 weeks and really can't risk it.

karia
08-Sep-07, 20:29
Hi! I have fair skin, blue eyes and freckles, i have used sun beds before and don't really go that brown but i do burn fairly easily. In the past i have used fake tans but i really don't want to end up orange or streaky. I have an important event coming up in 3 weeks and really can't risk it.

You have time to experiment!

I usually start off with Johnsons holiday skin, which conditions your skin as well as making it a wee bit brown.

I top up this with piz buin as it doesnt peel or flake...and..it's not orange!:)

I must confess to returning to a 'whiter shade of pale' now that Autumn is here....but a big day's a big day!

As Golach says..sun beds..nah!:mad:

K.

anneoctober
08-Sep-07, 20:36
You have time to experiment!

I usually start off with Johnsons holiday skin, which conditions your skin as well as making it a wee bit brown.

I top up this with piz buin as it doesnt peel or flake...and..it's not orange!

I must confess to returning to a 'whiter shade of pale' now that Autumn is here....but a big day's a big day!

As Golach says..sun beds..nah!

K.
yup Johnsons is good and Dove do one too - Karia, isn't orange an "Autumn" colour..........[lol]

karia
08-Sep-07, 20:50
yup Johnsons is good and Dove do one too - Karia, isn't orange an "Autumn" colour..........

Yes Honey..but so is purple![lol]

There's a thought!:eek:

K.

Dadie
08-Sep-07, 20:56
no matter which fake tans you go for remember to exfoliate beforehand!

if you do go streaky ..go swimming the chlorine in the pool helps to get rid of your fake tan then start again..

Julia
08-Sep-07, 22:36
Boots have an awful lot of tanning moisturisers at rock bottom prices in Wick at the mo, my friend tried one and it worked really well, her tan looked quite natural and built up quickly.

A spray tan is probably the best option for an 'instant' tan.

karia
08-Sep-07, 22:59
hi Julia,

All of the chemists have reduced their tanning products..there is a message in that!;)

Karia

WeeBurd
08-Sep-07, 23:08
Not one to learn from my previous, well documented mistakes, I decided just to give my legs a spot of the fake-stuff for going to a wedding a few weeks ago. I thought I looked great as I went out the door that night.... then I saw myself in the cold, sober, morning light :eek:. How I wished I hadn't stayed until the lights went up at the end of the night <blush>.

Three words: don't do it!!:lol:

Lolabelle
09-Sep-07, 05:03
I have seen others who can manage to use a tanning lotion successfully. I am not one of those people. I end up orange, and streaky, no matter how hard I try, I've even conned Dave into putting it on for me and still ended up a patchy orange and white thing! :eek:

This year I might try a tanning salon where they spray it on, but I give up on the do it yourselfers.
Oh and if you do have a go at it for yourself, don't apply it the day you're going out, the distinctive aroma, will give you away everytime. [lol]

itsteven
09-Sep-07, 10:30
i go to the sun beds but i use the build up tan but u can get that stray tan at the sun beds place and its really good price what ever u think its best for ur skin u will know x hope u can make up ur mind x :D

Thumper
09-Sep-07, 12:01
I use a spray tan by ambre solaire it is very good and in all the time I have been using it I have only had one disaster and that was my fault as I decided to do my tan after a few glasses of vino :eek: needless to say I spent a longtime in the bath the next day exfoliating it all off!It looks very natural and definately doesn't leave you with the "glasgow tan" look and it also really moisturises your skin.It costs £8.99 but you get at least 4 all over applications from one tin and is way healthier than a sunbed.If I were you I would buy one now and give it a go a couple fo times before the wedding as it does take a few days to wash it all off x

EDDIE
09-Sep-07, 12:22
I am really fed up with looking pasty and thought i'd cheer myself up with a bit of a tan, can't afford a couple of weeks abroad so i decided it would need to be the d.i.y option. But what is the best way to do it?

Sunbed?

Self Tan Moisturiser?

Self Tan?

Spray Tan At Salon?

Well my other half got a tan sprayed on i think it was about £25 thereabout u can get different shades of tan she liked it and would go back again and she did look as if she just came back from a hot place it was real looking and what happens when get sprayed it gradually wears of
And what you should do is if u havent tried then try it why not and if you are scared that you might not like it then go for a light coloured tan thats what they recomend u to do if its your first time.When she got it done it did suit her and strangely enough when u get sprayed it does not colour your body hairs as well for some reason

Margaret M.
09-Sep-07, 15:06
I've tried them all and finally this year I found a self tanner that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE and it totally looks like the real thing -- Monne Sun 2000 Express Tan Liquid. It's an Australian product but easy to find. Since it is tinted, you will see how it looks the minute it goes on so it is impossible to have streaks. It contains lavendar, rose hip oil and other herbal ingredients to nourish the skin and eliminate the usual self-tanner smell. One should not shower for a couple of hours after applying but you can put clothing on right away. It wears off naturally in about 3 - 5 days depending on activity/showering, etc.

http://www.sun2000.com.au/pages/product5.htm

Spray tanners are OK but doing it in the home leaves a messy residue in the shower and getting it in a salon is cost prohibitive if you want to have a tan all summer.

BRIE
09-Sep-07, 15:10
i was a sunbed worshipper for years until my other half kept complaining how I would end up with cancer! I tryed the spray tan but always ended up streaky & it doesnt last long also tryed johnsons but if you have dry skin it does tend to go orangy in them places. so im now a san tropez user yes its pricy but its a great colour that looks natural & the mousse is really easy to use plus if you over do it they sell the remover too.

Ash
09-Sep-07, 15:23
the tanning cabin will help, they have sachets of tan that u put on then go into the booth, its good

George Brims
11-Sep-07, 20:41
hi Julia,

All of the chemists have reduced their tanning products..there is a message in that!;)

Karia

The message is that summer's nearly over so the time for pretending you took a holiday abroad is also almost past. Some of the shops here in the US already have stuff on display for Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas!

This all reminds me of one of the funniest episodes of "Friends", where Ross keeps turning the wrong way in the spray tan booth and gets darker and darker on the front while remaining white on the back.

lady penelope
11-Sep-07, 22:39
I use Garnier Ambre Solaire face spray bronzer every second/third day. You don't have to rub it in, looks natural and people have stopped asking if i'm feeling okay:eek:

I use the body one if i've got an occasion.I always use 'scrub' gloves and dove body wash to exfoliate. It stops streaking and dry patches.

Whitewater
11-Sep-07, 23:08
Don't agree with any of the options in the poll. Natural sun tan is goood for you, it is the main source of vitimin D and if you get a good tan you get a good dose of vitimin D.

The best way for the vitimin enhancement is to have as much of yourself exposed to the sun as possible, without any protective creams or tanning oils, but you must be sensible, short exposure/small dose often is the way to a good tan, as soon as anywhere on your body shows any sign of turning red you must get covered up immediately, and not expose yourself again until the redness has gone out of your skin.

I guess I'm lucky I tan easily and don't have to worry too much about burning.

philupmaboug
07-Oct-07, 18:40
I've heard that there is a girl who is now doing mobile spray tanning within your own home. Sounds good to me as I live in the country and find it costly and time consuming to travel into the town to visit a salon.

I'm trying to find out the details at the moment but will let you all know when I do.

saffy100
07-Oct-07, 20:40
The tan towels from Semichem (£1.99) are great, they dry quick, you don't need to exfoliate and are a great colour, very easy to apply too.

xx_chickie
08-Oct-07, 11:14
I find L'oreal Nutrisummer brilliant! It lasts for ages (used many many times on arms and legs and still going! - i'm no dwarf either! 5ft 8), smells lovely and looks natural! I don't see the point in risking health to look a bit browner in sunny caithness!!

trix
08-Oct-07, 22:23
The tan towels from Semichem (£1.99) are great, they dry quick, you don't need to exfoliate and are a great colour, very easy to apply too.

im gled ye think so saffy!! i just cana apply at stuff at all.

i always end up lookin lek a reid indian!! :eek: whether its a wipe or lotion or anythin else.
even johnstons and dove, i look lek streeky bacon in e mornin!! :lol:

i took a gee aday an went up til dempster street til top up on ma milk bottle sel. ten menids = 5 kwid

at'l do me for anither year...

angela5
08-Oct-07, 22:37
I Noticed a woman today who was bright orange, rather like she had been tangoed. Wonder how many bottles she applied!:eek:

trix
08-Oct-07, 22:56
i took a gee aday an went up til dempster street til top up on ma milk bottle sel. ten menids = 5 kwid

at'l do me for anither year...

OH MA GAUD...!

iv just went til put ma jamys on an ye should see e colour o me!!
i am lek a reid indian!! :eek:

ye can see where ma chain hes been an can actually see, kwite clearly e shape o a pentacle on ma chest. im bright reid an hot...

am no goin back til at things again...no way...

come til think o it, i thinks ats why i da use them, by time a year passes il hev forgotten aboot iss an think its a good idea again...

mind ye, i suppose a reid indian is better than streaky bacon [lol]

Anne x
09-Oct-07, 13:17
Exfoliate !!exfoliate !!!exfoliate !!!! That is what they say to do I did all the right things and knees still looked like two orange Ice lollies !!

given up !!! Just go with the glow of windburn