PDA

View Full Version : Excess Baggage!

karia
08-Sep-07, 14:07
Afternoon folks

How much unnecessary 'stuff' do you cart about with you in bags or pockets?

From my handbag it would seem that I feel the need to have every possible scenario covered and carry suncream, umbrella, extra layer, camera, book(for boring bits!), magazine, newspaper(for shorter boring bits!),pen, notebook, medication, tissues, make-up, hairbrush, wallet, keys, phone, perfume....etc:roll:

I'm sure that I used to just grab keys and cash!;)

So are you like me...one shoulder buckling under the weight?...or do you travel light?

Karia

johno
08-Sep-07, 14:45
Im a lightweight, car keys mobile, phone & wallet. if im just walking then its just me & some cash. :cool:

Thumper
08-Sep-07, 14:51
I am a bit like you karia and seem to get a bigger and heavier handbag all the time! My friend is even worse...if we are out anywhere and need something 9 out of 10 times she can pull whatever it is you need out of her handbag lol! x

j4bberw0ck
08-Sep-07, 15:26
From my handbag it would seem that I feel the need to have every possible scenario covered and carry suncream, umbrella, extra layer, camera, book(for boring bits!), magazine, newspaper(for shorter boring bits!),pen, notebook, medication, tissues, make-up, hairbrush, wallet, keys, phone, perfume....etc

By 'eck, chuck, I've owned rucksacks and suitcases that wouldn't have carried as much as that.

Is carrying that lot a form of penance?:lol::lol:

jsherris
08-Sep-07, 15:28
Afternoon folks

From my handbag it would seem that I feel the need to have every possible scenario covered and carry suncream, umbrella, extra layer, camera, book(for boring bits!), magazine, newspaper(for shorter boring bits!),pen, notebook, medication, tissues, make-up, hairbrush, wallet, keys, phone, perfume....etc

So are you like me...one shoulder buckling under the weight?...or do you travel light?

Karia

Right, we're off to Ireland for a week tomorrow.... I'll just use your list for my bag karia - it'll save me writing my own out! ;)
Julie
x

BRIE
08-Sep-07, 15:52
mines mostly weighed down with baby items these days, nappies, wipes, cream, toys, juice, bibs then ive got my purse,phone & my keys no wonder ive broke the straps on two bags since the wee one came along!:lol:

paris
08-Sep-07, 17:20
Ive got excess baggage on my hips LOL !:lol: Ive brought myself a new bag today as my old one is rather big now and as i don't have all the kids things to carry about Ive downsized ! Jan x

Tugmistress
08-Sep-07, 17:58
What's a handbag? ;)
pockets generally contain wallet, mobile phone and car keys .... guess i'm a light traveller

karia
08-Sep-07, 18:12
Hi tugmistress,

A handbag..or hand sack more accurately, is what us girlees use to cart our high maintenance lives about...whilst, (and this bit is imporant!;)) not spoiling the line of our outfits.

Good grief woman, can you imagine what I would look like if I stuck the contents of MY bag into my pockets??:lol:

Karia

Tugmistress
08-Sep-07, 18:27
Hi tugmistress,

A handbag..or hand sack more accurately, is what us girlees use to cart our high maintenance lives about...whilst, (and this bit is imporant!;)) not spoiling the line of our outfits.

Good grief woman, can you imagine what I would look like if I stuck the contents of MY bag into my pockets??:lol:

Karia

hmmm, ok point taken lol.
I'm araid i am too much 'me' to be bothered to do anything like make-up etc every day of the week, i prefer to use it when i go out and then it makes an impression, or that was what i was brought up to believe lol

scorrie
08-Sep-07, 18:32
From my handbag it would seem that I feel the need to have every possible scenario covered and carry suncream, umbrella, extra layer, camera, book(for boring bits!), magazine, newspaper(for shorter boring bits!),pen, notebook, medication, tissues, make-up, hairbrush, wallet, keys, phone, perfume....etc:roll:

Karia

Just as an aside on Ladies' Handbag contents. There was one of those Satellite TV phone in quizzes that had an investigation by Ofcom. The quiz in question was a challenge to name likely items to be found in a Lady's Handbag. The top two prizes were not won and I think I might know the reason why. The second top prize answer was Rawl Plugs!! and the top prize answer was A Balaclava!!

Now come on Ladies, fess up. Do you regularly carry Rawl Plugs, perhaps in case of an emegency need to fit a TV bracket? Or are any of you closet bank robbers, ready to don the old Balaclava and menace the staff into giving you a decent rate on your mortgage?

Ofcom decided that the two "answers" given constitued an offence.

Fluff
08-Sep-07, 18:35
I recently decided to get a new bag to take my lunch to work in. when i was clearing out the old one, what a pile of rubbish i had! i now have a mini rucksack that can just fit in my lunch, a drink a small magazine or book and my umbrella at a squeeze.
my hand bag i try and clear out at least once a week, the amount of very old recipts i have found in there isnt even funny!

karia
08-Sep-07, 18:52
Just as an aside on Ladies' Handbag contents. There was one of those Satellite TV phone in quizzes that had an investigation by Ofcom. The quiz in question was a challenge to name likely items to be found in a Lady's Handbag. The top two prizes were not won and I think I might know the reason why. The second top prize answer was Rawl Plugs!! and the top prize answer was A Balaclava!!

Now come on Ladies, fess up. Do you regularly carry Rawl Plugs, perhaps in case of an emegency need to fit a TV bracket? Or are any of you closet bank robbers, ready to don the old Balaclava and menace the staff into giving you a decent rate on your mortgage?

Ofcom decided that the two "answers" given constitued an offence.

Evening Scorrie,

We are versatile and prepared for all eventualities, what more could you ask for?:)

One thing I did find shocking was that someone worked out the cost of replacing an average womans handbag plus contents ..it was into the thousands once phones and cards, scent etc. were taken into the equation...........and if it was a designer bag......Ye gads!:eek:

Now... where's me balaclava, I'm off to rob a bank,...in case I need to replace my handbag!

karia

Dadie
08-Sep-07, 20:36
mine contained (at the last look) baby wipes, a spare nappy, chocolate buttons, bib, cuddly toy, make up(mascara, eyeshadows-4 of, foundation, 3 lipsticks )1 bottle of perfume i dont really like, plasters,clear nail varnish (i have no nails worth putting it on), asprin, paracetamol, calpol sachets, tomato sauce sachets(why??), teething powders, hankies, mobile phone, car keys, purse, 1/2 a pack of extra strong mints, a safety pin and hairgrips and 1 fluff covered sweetie and 3 tampax one of which had managed to unwrap itself..why do i cart so much stuff around just incase its handy!!

anneoctober
08-Sep-07, 20:44
Ive got excess baggage on my hips LOL !:lol: Ive brought myself a new bag today as my old one is rather big now and as i don't have all the kids things to carry about Ive downsized ! Jan x
That had been my intention too, Jan, but then I got grandchildren......., the overspill of baby wipes etc is currently happening in my car as well!
Does that constitute getting a new MPV?? [lol]

karia
08-Sep-07, 20:48
mine contained (at the last look) baby wipes, a spare nappy, chocolate buttons, bib, cuddly toy, make up(mascara, eyeshadows-4 of, foundation, 3 lipsticks )1 bottle of perfume i dont really like, plasters,clear nail varnish (i have no nails worth putting it on), asprin, paracetamol, calpol sachets, tomato sauce sachets(why??), teething powders, hankies, mobile phone, car keys, purse, 1/2 a pack of extra strong mints, a safety pin and hairgrips and 1 fluff covered sweetie and 3 tampax one of which had managed to unwrap itself..why do i cart so much stuff around just incase its handy!!

So Dadie,

What do you think is unnecessary!;)

I can see uses for them all...pass me the fluffy sweetie!

Karia

Dadie
08-Sep-07, 20:51
em going out without Lauren makes at least 1/2 the contents redundant...

horseman
08-Sep-07, 23:43
Afternoon folks

Karia

My wife reckons I carry more than that in my overalls.-'would have included a smiley here' but got zapped for it .

Riffman
09-Sep-07, 01:39
I don't travel light. My everyday rig consists of:

Mobile
Wallet
Stupid amounts of loose 5ps
Leatherman Wave
2 x Cameras
3 x Lens
2 x Flash
CF cards
6 x camera batts
12 x AA recharge batts
Wireless flash kit
25peice pack of gum.
Bounce cards, gobos, a snoot
3 rolls of film for emergencies

And that's about it. I carry more when out on a job.

crayola
09-Sep-07, 01:50
Afternoon folks

KariaI have been known to carry 'spare' shoes, bra and pants in case of emergency.

Lolabelle
09-Sep-07, 04:52
I have a bit of a problem with handbags. I have (at the moment) a lovely red one that I purpose purchased. It has only room for my keys, wallet, diary, note book, mobile phone and a handy little spot for 2 lippies, (one pink, 1 neutral) a compact and some tampax.
The reason I have this bag is because a couple of weeks ago, I was walking to my car from the shops and after tying a rope to my waist and diving into my handbag, a week later I emerged, without the keys. I marched back into the shops and asked for a bag that could fit only what I have listed above. Bought my new bag, tipped everything out of my LARGE bag onto the floor, found the keys, put the absolute necessary items into the new bag, the junk back into my old one and went home. I have put the old very big bag onto the bag pile and will wait for the next time I decide that this bag is just way to small and race to the bag shop and buy a nice big one that I can fit everything into.
Can anyone spot the problem???

bluelady
09-Sep-07, 13:12
That had been my intention too, Jan, but then I got grandchildren......., the overspill of baby wipes etc is currently happening in my car as well!
Does that constitute getting a new MPV?? [lol]s

Ive not got young kids now, but my bag gets full, so it enevitably ends up in my car

karia
09-Sep-07, 13:19
s

Ive not got young kids now, but my bag gets full, so it enevitably ends up in my car

Ah bluelady,

Ain't that the truth! A car is really just handbag with wheels!;)

Karia

Angela
09-Sep-07, 13:23
I have a very small bag, for the basics -keys, wallet, phone, etc...if I'm going to be out a bit longer, I'll add glasses, diary, pen, make-up, comb, painkillers...which will all just fit in.

I don't have a big handbag -for a longer trip out, I take a rucksack....and that could well include a paperback, a small bottle of water, maybe an umbrella...

I'm paranoid about losing my keys -so in addition to the set in my bag, I always have a spare set in my pocket....[para][para]

Julia
09-Sep-07, 19:16
Every once in a while I try using one of those handbag things. I then spend the next week forgetting it, leaving it in the car, feeling stupid carrying it and continually rumaging in it for my purse etc..

I then dump the bad handbag and go back to shoving my purse, mobile and keys in my jeans.

Thumper
10-Sep-07, 09:54
Oh Julia thats a shame cos a girl can never have too many handbags!I have to admit I haven't as many handbags as I have shoes (and almost everyone on the org knows about my shoe buying fetish lol) But I have around 20 bags.The worst thing about them tho is when you swap from one to another but forget to swap everything over and then need whatever it is that you haven't swapped :( x

Lolabelle
10-Sep-07, 09:59
Oh Julia thats a shame cos a girl can never have too many handbags!I have to admit I haven't as many handbags as I have shoes (and almost everyone on the org knows about my shoe buying fetish lol) But I have around 20 bags.The worst thing about them tho is when you swap from one to another but forget to swap everything over and then need whatever it is that you haven't swapped :( x

I've just had a thought Thumper, we could fully equip each bag with all life's little necessities and then only need to move keys, wallet and phone as we swap bags. What do ya reckon???[lol]

Angela
10-Sep-07, 10:39
Even in my small bag, biros breed at any amazing rate! :roll:

I could swear I only have one, rummage in the bag, and pull out half a dozen.....is it just me, or does anybody else have a magic bag where stuff multiplies? :confused

Thumper
10-Sep-07, 11:23
Oh lolabelle me and you HAVE to get together you just read me like a book lol! I did try that but it worked out very expensive duplicating everything so now I have about 3 bags that are "fully loaded" And try to swap the other stuff over as and when I need to x

catnip
11-Sep-07, 13:05
Most of the time i carry everything in my jacket pockets, but take a bag if going out a wonder round the shoppies.