PDA

View Full Version : Is Caithness part of the Highlands?

Rheghead
08-Sep-07, 10:28
I know that Caithness is part of the modern administrative area which is called Highland but is it part of what would be historically described as the Highlands?

saxovtr
08-Sep-07, 10:36
as voted,who cares

NickInTheNorth
08-Sep-07, 10:49
I know that Caithness is part of the modern administrative area which is called Highland but is it part of what would be historically described as the Highlands?
Is the question intended to be looked at in a socio political fashion, or a geological fashion?

If the former then I have no opinion worthy of mention, but would be very interested in the overall opinion of the .org; if the latter I would strongly suggest that yes it is truly a part of the highlands. An opinion which the scottishgeology.com (http://www.scottishgeology.com/geology/regional_geology/geo_maps/highland_map.html) website would endorse.

balto
08-Sep-07, 12:13
just Voted In Your Poll And No I Dont Think We Are Part Of The Highlands Seems To Me Once You Passed The Ord Then Only Sheep Live Up Here

nanoo
08-Sep-07, 12:21
Totally agree with you Balto. Scotland stops at Inverness, do you watch the weather reports as well on tv? Sometimes we have no weather at all. Also, have you noticed that if you order something on line with some companies, they charge you extra delivery because we are not on the scottish mainland. This really is infuriating. Are we to be punished for living in Gods country. Te He.:lol:

badger
08-Sep-07, 12:30
I'm in the middle of a fight with ebay/Paypal because Caithness isn't listed in the dropdown of counties when entering your address - we're all lumped together in Highland. I object - strongly [disgust] . I love living in the Highlands but Highland is not a county.

johno
08-Sep-07, 12:47
we must be living in the highlands cause if you buy something on line you get screwed for the postage as we are classed highland. if you are in orkney or any of the islands then you get screwed a little more.

Rheghead
08-Sep-07, 12:48
I'm in the middle of a fight with ebay/Paypal because Caithness isn't listed in the dropdown of counties when entering your address - we're all lumped together in Highland. I object - strongly [disgust] . I love living in the Highlands but Highland is not a county.

I feel the same way about my home which is strictly in Lancashire which is now part of the administrative area called Cumbria, which in turn, is peddled as a bonafide county, which it isn't. However, I must admit that I would have followed Paypal's automated ordering system so long as there is no confusion as ensuring that my goods end up at my door.:eek:

Grudging respect to you...

Lolabelle
08-Sep-07, 13:28
I hope you don't mind that I voted in this poll, but I don't consider Caithness part of the highlands when I think of it, but as it's very own, special self, Caithness North Scotland.

Sandra_B
08-Sep-07, 13:44
I agree with Lolabelle, I think of Caithness as being north of the Highlands.

nanoo
08-Sep-07, 15:17
Yes i'll second that Sandra b. We are north of the highlands.:lol:

Thumper
08-Sep-07, 15:32
It drives me mad that we are classed as highlands and islands UNTIL you try to get something delivered here and then it all goes pear shaped, I have lost count of the times I have been told that I live on an island and thats why it costs me more to have something delivered to me!I point out that don't we all live in an island then as technically the uk is an island.I now refuse to pay extra for delivery and if they can't send it to me at the same price as the rest of the uk I just go elsewhere to buy it :rolleyes: x

Solus
08-Sep-07, 17:11
It really sticks in my throat when company's try to squeeze more for postage due to "the remoteness" . Although i did have words to say to one company I used once and they tried to tell me Aberdeen was the highlands and wanted an extra £12.50 but had i lived in Dundee that would have been ok! aye right, and another company once told me Aberdeen was also located on an Island.:roll:

Aviemore and north to me is the highlands.

Jeemag_USA
08-Sep-07, 17:39
To me Caithness has always been part of the Highlands, I was born there and lived almost my whole life there and consider myself to be a Highlander. I have always thought of the line between Inverness and Fort William marks the Highlands, everything north of that. To me the idea of a Highlander is a Scot who has lived in the most remote norther parts of the country, and desended from those who scraped a meagre living from the surroundings they had, its kind of a mental atittude more than any mark of physical appearance or loyalty to location. Despite not having too much in the way of high land, Caithness has always been a remote existence and for many hundreds of years the living was made from crofting, hunting and the sea before any kind of arable farming was brought in.

scotsboy
08-Sep-07, 18:16
Caithness is the land beyond the Highlands. It is not part of the Highlands.

concerned resident
08-Sep-07, 18:31
If you listen to the TV, the north of Scotland is Aberdeen, the Highlands is Inverness / Fort William, The Islands is the Islands, so i always say Caithness is the NORTHLANDS, it does not make any difference, as nobody down south is interested in Caithness, unless they are trying to site a new nuclear reactor, or dump some waste, or clean up Hot spots. Its very sad, as it is such a beautiful County, with a rich History, which is still a secret.

Jeemag_USA
08-Sep-07, 20:13
I'd expect the University of the Highlands (and Islands) to have significant buildings and campus on higher ground, say ~ 1000' where Highlanders live, and run graduate courses both relevant to a professional career in the Highlands, and study Highland culture and way of life. But what's in a name? Swiss don't feel in any economic backwater, and joking aside most of their schools teach more nautical skills (like actually build a boat in house and sail her across the Atlantic) than hereabouts in the Highlands and Islands

Caithness is the Morningside of the North. They consider themseves superior in some way. They are not Highland or Scottish Nationalists and neither is Morningside Niddrie or Costorphine.

Tories, Pirates, Vikings, Orgers, Golachs, Hoors (Wick Councillors). Whatever. The fishermen and sheepmen of Shetland cut a better deal with the UK London Establishment. Probably because they're more realistic.

HA HA HA nice attempt at fishing for a rise, can't really credit this with a sensible answer, I am still rolling about laughing. Can't recall ever feeling superior in any way to anyone else in Scotland, never mind the rest of the world. I wonder what is your basis for that statement??

Cedric Farthsbottom III
08-Sep-07, 20:20
Caithness folk are the Highlanders o' the Highlanders.I'm no a Highlander,I'm a Lowlander.But Lithuania can eat our shorts tonight.:lol::lol:

Rheghead
08-Sep-07, 20:24
Can't recall ever feeling superior in any way to anyone else in Scotland, never mind the rest of the world. I wonder what is your basis for that statement??

He wasn't referring to how you feel personally in the 21st century, I took it that he was more referring to the socio-economic climate of Caithness in the past when the herring and agriculture industries were drawing in highlanders from the south.

Also, Caithnessians were broadly for the Government forces so after the defeat of Charlie then that would have have added economic assistance as well, I'd imagine. I would like to see if anyone feels the same though or if I've got it wrong.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
08-Sep-07, 20:36
Scotland disnae stop at Inverness.Thurso,Wick etc are very well known throughout Scotland.The fishing industry was throughout the port toons,I remember the Wick boats up on Nobles.Folk used to joke about the horses sending the mail fae Aberdeen to the toons further north.But that wis just a joke.Thats why ma home town is just like Caithness.That infamous Scottish sayin."Disnae matter where ye come from,yer just a hame frae hame"

JAWS
08-Sep-07, 20:46
Caithness in the Highlands? Never, Caithness is unique, it's the Lowlands beyond the Highlands and far superior in every way!

gleeber
08-Sep-07, 21:06
I agree with jeemag. I live in the north Highlands. The fact that they are lowlands is a geological event not a geographical certainty.:confused

Cedric Farthsbottom III
08-Sep-07, 21:28
I agree with jeemag. I live in the north Highlands. The fact that they are lowlands is a geological event not a geographical certainty.:confused

Gleeber,there are three parts to Scotland.The Lowlands,the Central and the Highlands.The Lowlands are Dumfries and Galloway,Ayrshire and Lower Strathclyde and Lower Lothian,Hawick,Kelso,etc.The Central is Glasgow across to Edinburgh.The Highlands is the rest wi a straightline across.:lol:

Tony
08-Sep-07, 21:58
We are in the Highlands until you order goods and then we are Islanders.:confused

Julia
08-Sep-07, 22:19
Is Caithness part of the Highlands? - We ARE the Highlands!

I've always been of the opinion that the Highlands went too far south, when I think of the Highlands I think of everything north of the capital, good old Inversnekie!

I'd prefer if we had our own postcode too instead of being lumped in with Kirkwall (nothing wrong with Kirkwall, I'd just like our own one), considering the size of Orkney their postcode reaches well into Sutherland.

Rheghead
08-Sep-07, 23:13
The wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Highlands) entry for the Scottish highlands is interesting reading because it puts cultural difference as one of the defining parameters when compared to the Scottish lowlands. But as I was reading through it, I felt that their description precluded Caithness from being part of the Highlands, eg non Gaelic, protestant, pro Government and low topography.

JAWS
08-Sep-07, 23:37
Thanks for the link, Rheghead. I had a quick look through it and the only conclusion I arrived at is that it was the first draft of a report by a squabbling committee of egotists all with their own descriptions.

I would hesitate to try to define the exact location of the Highland Line but I do know that anywhere north of it is in the Highlands and even I would have difficulty getting anybody to believe Caithness is south of it, even on a good day.

Oh, and I voted "No" just to be awkward! :Razz

caroline
08-Sep-07, 23:47
Caithness is the land beyond the Highlands. It is not part of the Highlands.

I thought it was Caithness land beyond the mountains. Does many Caithness folk consider themselves Highlanders?.

golach
08-Sep-07, 23:51
I thought it was Caithness land beyond the mountains. Does many Caithness folk consider themselves Highlanders?.
I do Caroline, and so did my parents

ywindythesecond
08-Sep-07, 23:59
If you listen to the TV, the north of Scotland is Aberdeen, the Highlands is Inverness / Fort William, The Islands is the Islands, so i always say Caithness is the NORTHLANDS, it does not make any difference, as nobody down south is interested in Caithness, unless they are trying to site a new nuclear reactor, or dump some waste, or clean up Hot spots. Its very sad, as it is such a beautiful County, with a rich History, which is still a secret.

Dear Concerned Resident,
Unfortunately no-one is trying to site a new nuclear reactor in Caithness. Much more unfortunately, lots of people are very interested in Caithness and are trying to site hundreds of wind turbines here. Check out www.caithnesswindfarms.co.uk (http://www.caithnesswindfarms.co.uk) or pm me for more information.
ywindythesecond

golach
09-Sep-07, 00:01
Dear Concerned Resident,
Unfortunately no-one is trying to site a new nuclear reactor in Caithness. Much more unfortunately, lots of people are very interested in Caithness and are trying to site hundreds of wind turbines here. Check out www.caithnesswindfarms.co.uk (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.caithnesswindfarms.co.uk) or pm me for more information.
ywindythesecond
And Wee Fat Eck, your first minister is all for them, hell mend ye for voting for him and his party[lol]

bluelady
09-Sep-07, 00:30
We are in the Highlands until you order goods and then we are Islanders.:confused

Yep, Ive had that, mines sometimes comes addressed, Caithness, Kirkwall, Highlands, then the postcode. It's a wonder things get here at all [lol]

Rheghead
09-Sep-07, 09:33
Unfortunately no-one is trying to site a new nuclear reactor in Caithness

That is not entirely accurate, but you are right in the way that you think you mean.;) Though I am confident that it would produce energy for the grid if given the go ahead.

Angela
09-Sep-07, 13:42
The "Highland" region doesn't mean the Highlands in the way I was brought up to think of the term...ie. the mountainous area north of Perth, including the Cairngorms and Grampians.

I still think of Caithness as a county in its own right, but sadly all the counties are no more. :(

I'm amazed that so often an extra line appears in my address. You would think "Edinburgh" and the postcode would be sufficient, but no! I get a range of addresses -"Edinbugh, CITY OF EDINBURGH", "Edinburgh, MIDLOTHIAN", "Edinburgh, LOTHIAN" etc...plus the postcode...and sometimes "Scotland" at the end....:roll:

"Lothian", like "Highland", is just a name for a region that doesn't mean a lot to most folk.

northener
12-Sep-07, 17:10
Caithness is really the Far North, not the Highlands.

We are, geologically speaking, rather un high-landish.

Socially speaking, as pointed out by someone else, the Highlands tend to be the areas populated by Gaelic speaking clans and their septs. Politically and religiously speaking, the highlands are (were) pro Jacobite and with a leaning toward Catholicism.

None of which matches up with a definition of Caithness. There are Highlanders living in Caithness, but Caithness is not a Highland area. If you don't believe me, draw a line between Latheronwheel and Thurso on a map and look East. All the place names are Norse influenced - not Gaelic.

Don't get me started on the administrative side eg postcodes:roll:

Dusty
12-Sep-07, 17:18
I still think of Caithness as a county in its own right, but sadly all the counties are no more. :(

I'm amazed that so often an extra line appears in my address. You would think "Edinburgh" and the postcode would be sufficient, but no! I get a range of addresses -"Edinbugh, CITY OF EDINBURGH", "Edinburgh, MIDLOTHIAN", "Edinburgh, LOTHIAN" etc...plus the postcode...and sometimes "Scotland" at the end....:roll:

"Lothian", like "Highland", is just a name for a region that doesn't mean a lot to most folk.

Angela, I must admit that whenever I submit my address, I always include Stirlingshire, probably out of habit most times, but out of bloody mindedness or pride at others.
I too regard Caithness as a County as I do Stirlingshire.....those are the names on my ancestor's B.M.D. Certificates and changes for the sake of bureacratic convenience won't change that for me.

Dusty.

Whitewater
13-Sep-07, 00:05
Caithness is not part of the Highlands, it is now linked into the Highland Region, but the old dividing line is the Ord. In the past we have had more links with Northern Isles and Norway, at one time we belonged to Norway and returned to Scottish rule in the time of Alexander III ( I think, just writing this from memory)

We never talked Gaelic, look at all our placenames and many of our family names, they all have Norwegian links but of course over the centuries more Scots, or should I say Highlanders moved into the area and closer links with the Highlands developed.

I am proud of the Highlands, but historically we are not part of them. I wear Highland dress when the occation demands, as do many other Caithnessians and we are all very proud to do so. We look upon it as our National Dress and no other nation has anything like it. It is outstanding, whether you are dressed formally or not.

I'm just proud to be a Scot no matter which region I live in.

JAWS
14-Sep-07, 01:03
I thought it was William the Lion who annexed Caithness but I too could be wrong. Come on somebody, help us out.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that centuries ago Caithnessians were dismissed by some Scots as "the trouser wearers". I can't remember the exact term that was used but it was obviously, to put it politely, intended to indicate a slight inferiority. I suppose it was a kind of snobbishness, "They might live in Scotland but they are not quite as Scottish as us!" (Not my view)
My guess is that the wearing of trousers was as a result of the Norse connection.

I'm heading for the nearest Broch and pulling the ladder up behind me after that! :eek:

Jeemag_USA
14-Sep-07, 02:15
I thought it was William the Lion who annexed Caithness but I too could be wrong. Come on somebody, help us out.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that centuries ago Caithnessians were dismissed by some Scots as "the trouser wearers". I can't remember the exact term that was used but it was obviously, to put it politely, intended to indicate a slight inferiority. I suppose it was a kind of snobbishness, "They might live in Scotland but they are not quite as Scottish as us!" (Not my view)
My guess is that the wearing of trousers was as a result of the Norse connection.

I'm heading for the nearest Broch and pulling the ladder up behind me after that! :eek:

I definately remember reading somewhere in a book that it was people from the lowlands, which was classed as the central belt and the borders as being trouser wearers. I think that is where the Gaelic word Sassanach came from which as a literal translation meant "Well dressed lowlander" not necessarily just a reference to the english? Not sure though.

Jeemag_USA
14-Sep-07, 02:22
We never talked Gaelic, look at all our placenames and many of our family names, they all have Norwegian links

Not strictly true, but almost. There is no proof positive the in Caithness we never spoke Gaelic at anytime so its impossible to say. Also not all the names i Caithness are Norse, there is a dividing line which is within the boundaries of the county where there is a separation of Celtic and Norse names and roughly it runs diagonally from somewhere slightly west of Shebster down through the county (you have to remember the Norse invaded, this doesn't mean that that half of the map never had Celtic or Pictish names before that, your talking about a blip in the eons of history). The fact that we know so much about our Norwegian past is because they wrote some of it down, which doesn't mean because other societys in the northern land did not write things down does not mean they did not exist.

Like I said before, the Highlander is typified by having to live a Highland way of life, which is set out by their remoteness and what they had to live on, and Caithness is a part of that, wether in this century or 10 centuries ago. There are many drawbacks to living in remote sparse communities, living around and dealing with that life style is part of being a HIghlander, and Caithnesians are a part of that breed like it or not, wether you are a McLeod, Mackay, Gunn or Henderson!

icekah
14-Sep-07, 11:08
As far as English Couriers are concerned Caithness is in Orkney, they enter a KW postcode into their machine and you get charged extra because they think you live on the islands.
I had this problem back in may when ordering something from Ebay which was courier delivery from England, i had a lengthy discussion with the man re geography and he agreed with me that Caithness was on the mainland, however his courier had put our postcode into his little machine and it told him that we did not live on the Scottish mainland. How ridiculous is this. The same situation also occurred with my neighbour whilst ordering furniture from Argos, they would not admit Caithness was on the mainland even after it was pointed out to them that they had a shop in wick and it was on the mainland.
Something needs to be done about our postcode and the way that people in Caithness get blatantly ripped off by couriers.

canuck
14-Sep-07, 11:58
I voted "no" because I have never thought of Caithness as "Highland".

Rheghead
14-Sep-07, 12:13
As far as English Couriers are concerned Caithness is in Orkney, they enter a KW postcode into their machine and you get charged extra because they think you live on the islands.
I had this problem back in may when ordering something from Ebay which was courier delivery from England, i had a lengthy discussion with the man re geography and he agreed with me that Caithness was on the mainland, however his courier had put our postcode into his little machine and it told him that we did not live on the Scottish mainland. How ridiculous is this. The same situation also occurred with my neighbour whilst ordering furniture from Argos, they would not admit Caithness was on the mainland even after it was pointed out to them that they had a shop in wick and it was on the mainland.
Something needs to be done about our postcode and the way that people in Caithness get blatantly ripped off by couriers.

I have written to John Thurso about that, it is time we had our own postcode prefix for internet shopping.

http://www.writetothem.com/

northener
14-Sep-07, 16:58
Jeemag, good point about the Norse invading and influencing names in this area.

Worth bearing in mind that the Scots were invaders from Ireland, so therefore, it could be argued that the only true Highlanders don't speak Gaelic - but Pictish! Unfortunately, they're all dead....

I suppose it depends how far back you want to take these issues.

Still don't think Caithness is 'Highland' territory regardless of how you look at it.

BTW I always thought 'Sausenach' just meant a non-Gael/Highlander.

Interesting subject.

icekah
14-Sep-07, 16:58
maybe a petition would be a good start!!!!!

Tony
14-Sep-07, 23:32

Have a look at this link from a company called Mesh Computers who offer free U.K mainland delivery except (see link and select terms and conditions of delivery at the bottom of the page). In other words Mainland U.K is only in England.

http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default.aspx?PAGE=PRODCATEGORYVIEWPAGE&USG=APPLICATION&ENT=APPLICATION&KEY=227079 (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default.aspx?PAGE=PRODCATEGORYVIEWPAGE&USG=APPLICATION&ENT=APPLICATION&KEY=227079)

Rheghead
15-Sep-07, 00:00
Have a look at this link from a company called Mesh Computers who offer free U.K mainland delivery except (see link and select terms and conditions of delivery at the bottom of the page). In other words Mainland U.K is only in England.

http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default.aspx?PAGE=PRODCATEGORYVIEWPAGE&USG=APPLICATION&ENT=APPLICATION&KEY=227079 (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default.aspx?PAGE=PRODCATEGORYVIEWPAGE&USG=APPLICATION&ENT=APPLICATION&KEY=227079)

I can't find the bit that substantiates your claim. I can't find any free delivery deal, they do charge a fee for addresses on mainland UK though. Nothing to suggest that free deals only apply to mainland UK (aka England).

Jeemag_USA
15-Sep-07, 00:16
I think what needs to be sorted out is whether being a highlander is about being part a of a geographical area, or whether it is a cultural state of mind. In my mind the Highlands has no border, rather it is a collection of people who have been brought up through generations living the Highland way. Do we have Highland Games in Caithness, did we not have Highland Buses, do we have Highlander regiments, do we feel like Highlanders, if you do then you probably are. I am proud of telling people I meet in the USA that I am a Highlander. And I am, if I think I am and I believe I am then I am, and so far 60% of the voters believe they are. If you don't think you are then maybe you are not ;)

If you think Caithnesians can't be highlanders because we owe too much of our past to the Norse, then why is it that the Hendersons, Andersons, Gunns, Swansons etc all have a tartan?? Hmmm :Razz

northener
15-Sep-07, 09:28
Hi Jeemag,

"I think what needs to be sorted out is whether being a Highlander is about being part a of a geographical area, or whether it is a cultural state of mind."

I think it's definitely a combination of both, you're right in saying "you are what you think you are", but according to the poll, just over half think they are and almost half think they are not.;) Ah, interpretation, dont yer just love it....

Most of the Tartans today are a Victorian invention anyway, certainly post 1745, so I wouldn't put too much emphasis on those. (lights blue touchpaper and steps back:eek:)

My family is Morton, a sept of Clan Douglas, so I could wear the Douglas Tartan. Personally I would feel a fraud if I did. To me, the Tartan is worn by Highlander Scots (which is where we came in!), yet Douglas and Morton are Lowlanders.

Following this through, Henderson could be Norse origin, Anderson (Norse), Gunn -if I remember correctly- are believed to be one of the oldest names in the Far North and possibly Pictish, Sinclair (Norman) and Swanson is Norse too. So the waters regarding Tartan get muddied very quickly.
BTW I stand to be corrected on my assessment of origins and do not wish to cause offence, if I have, then I apologise unreservedly.

Regarding the use of the word 'Highland' in Caithness for businesses etc, I stand by my original comment that we have Highlanders in Caithness - but that doesn't make Caithness the Highlands.

If Caithness -or Caithnessians- feel the need to be classed as Highlanders so strongly, why was there so much objection to the Highland Council attempting to place English/Gaelic road signs in the county? 'Not part of our culture' was one of the main reasons quoted.

But Jeemag, all said and done, you are absolutely right. If you feel it's part of your identity and heritage - then it is.

Me, I'm English and Scot. Possibly Saxon, or Dane, or Briton, or Norman, or Roman, or Viking. More than likely a bit of everything.

But definitely, most definitely a Yorkshireman.

Rheghead
15-Sep-07, 10:23
I think what needs to be sorted out is whether being a highlander is about being part a of a geographical area, or whether it is a cultural state of mind.

Is that like saying David Beckham is black?:confused[lol]

domino
22-Dec-07, 22:45
The highlands ofd scotland end at the Strath which runs west from Helmsdale. Therefore Caaithness is unique,as it should be

Boozeburglar
23-Dec-07, 04:11

Do you think David Beckam thinks he is black?

What makes you say that?

Cattach
23-Dec-07, 11:07
Totally agree with you Balto. Scotland stops at Inverness, do you watch the weather reports as well on tv? Sometimes we have no weather at all. Also, have you noticed that if you order something on line with some companies, they charge you extra delivery because we are not on the scottish mainland. This really is infuriating. Are we to be punished for living in Gods country. Te He.:lol:

And Britain stops much further south. Often furthest north waether bubble on the map is in the South of Scotland - one for the whole country. Of course we all know that Britain actually stops at Watford.

Tilter
23-Dec-07, 18:25
I have written to John Thurso about that, it is time we had our own postcode prefix for internet shopping.

I had always heard we have a KW postcode because car/house/etc. insurance was cheaper (at the time we got postcodes) than if we had taken an IV postcode. Anyone else hear that? Wouldn't like my insurance to go up.

Mail order people do your head in with their extra charges - I just don't buy from them if they want to charge extra or refuse to send via the Post Office.

Tilter
23-Dec-07, 18:28
sorry - went off topic. I meant to say I'm definitely no Highlander - I've only lived in Caithness for 20 years.

embow
23-Dec-07, 19:56

My laptop came from Mesh ( with no delivery problems as far as carriage was concerened) and I was charged about £22 for the delivery back in the summer. I see the charges are now £39.95! but it does say UK mainland only. Not England.

oldmarine
23-Dec-07, 23:29
When I was working there during the 1980's I was led to believe that Caithness was part of the Highlands. No one ever convinced me otherwise so I guess I still believe it is.

quirbal
24-Dec-07, 11:14
Well I've always thought of Caithness being part of the Highlands.

Rheghead
24-Dec-07, 11:42
It seems to me that Caithness is historically and geographically a non-highland area, even the Caithness dialect is not described as a form of Scots or Gaelic related. The whole Highland image has been stamped onto Caithness in fairly recent years with disregard for history and geography. But if folks are happy with that then that is fine, but it is a tad contrived.

Boozeburglar
24-Dec-07, 11:54
It seems to me that Caithness is historically and geographically a non-highland area, even the Caithness dialect is not described as a form of Scots or Gaelic related. The whole Highland image has been stamped onto Caithness in fairly recent years with disregard for history and geography. But if folks are happy with that then that is fine, but it is a tad contrived.

Could be more specific?

What are you talking about as the "Highland image"?

In what way has this been 'stamped' onto Caithness?

Green_not_greed
24-Dec-07, 12:21

Wow! Are racist comments tolerated on the .org?????

percy toboggan
24-Dec-07, 15:13
Not in anybody's book can Caithness be considered a 'highland' region.
It's an interesting county , unique in charatcer but...'highland' it ain't!

Merry Christmas

pie man
24-Dec-07, 15:16
yes i wud concider caithness as part of the highlands , as most parts of caithness are on high land. and everyone calls it the highland.

Rheghead
24-Dec-07, 20:48
Could be more specific?

What are you talking about as the "Highland image"?

In what way has this been 'stamped' onto Caithness?

Take for instance the Caithness community council to refuse gaelic translations.

Take the Highland games for instance, Halkirk is a great venue. A lot of the events have stemmed from a time when highlanders were disarmed following the insurrection of the Highlanders in the mid 18th century.

From what I understand, Caithness rose an army in support of the Government side rather than the 'Highlander' side. And from what I understand, highlander was a generic term during those troubled times as someone who was Jacobite and who belonged and lived in the highland areas, ie those areas traditionally Jacobite or who belonged to the people which the disarming legislation would apply.

And Caithness has been described the lowlands of the North.

If I called an eighteenth century Caithnessian a highlander then I'd probably get a sword where it would hurt the most.

Rheghead
24-Dec-07, 20:51
Wow! Are racist comments tolerated on the .org?????

Gawd, wind yer neck in.:roll:

golach
24-Dec-07, 21:13
Rheg, the reason Caithness differers from the western side of Scotland (traditionally the home of the Highlander). Is that Caithness and Sutherland were ruled by the Vikings from the 8th century, the vikings drove out the Picts who until then were the original dwellers.
The Earls of Orkney ruled Shetland, Orkney, and then "Katanes" the "Headland of the cats" that was the extreme northern region of the Scottish mainland, called that by the Norsemen after the local Pictish tribe called the "Cats".
Caithness was always a bone of contention between the Scottish crown and that of Norway, or as was usually the case the particular Norse Earl of Orkney in power at that time.
If you delve further back into Scotland's history you will find that as far back as the 1660's the time of the persecution of the Covenanters that a battalion of Caithness troops were used to put down the Covenanters, and they did so ruthlessly, no quarter given.
I cannot find a reason why Caithness sided with the government of the time
but they did, and as you pointed out they did so in the '45 rebellion
Just accept that Kaitness fowk are unique, and always will differ from the norm.

emb123
25-Dec-07, 05:29

me too. Have repeatedly complained to them, and eBay, although it is not specific to Caithness, a good third of Scottish counties are missing from their drop-down list. Unfortunately PayPal are in my repeated experience far too arrogant to actually pay any attention to their customers or treat them with any respect whatsoever.

I had always heard we have a KW postcode because car/house/etc. insurance was cheaper (at the time we got postcodes) than if we had taken an IV postcode. Anyone else hear that? Wouldn't like my insurance to go up.

Mail order people do your head in with their extra charges - I just don't buy from them if they want to charge extra or refuse to send via the Post Office.

Absolutely! Vote with your feet! If one seller refuses to be flexible when it comes to posting and dogmatically insists on only using their favourite courier despite the fact that it would cost you loads more, then I would always advise them that I am not prepared to pay a surcharge because they are too inflexible about posting options and I will buy from a more reasonable vendor. They hate that!!

I use senditnow.com quite often and recommend them highly. It's actually part of Parcel Force, but for instance I had parcel delivery (combi-microwave) for £10.99 instead of £48.50 by Parcel Force, but it was Parcel Force who did the delivery! The delivery business is finally starting to get cheaper to the Highlands (including Caithness) if one shops around.