PDA

View Full Version : Suicide Awareness Week

moureen
06-Sep-07, 18:00
Suicide Awareness Week starts on Monday there will be the unveiling of a collage in George Square,Glasgow of 500 people who have lost some one to suicide,there will also be media coverage next week.If any one wants to know about suicide awareness please go to www.chooselife.net/spw.We all should be aware that mental illness does not discriminate it can happen to any one.Thank You.

orkneylass
06-Sep-07, 18:17
I train people in suicide first aid and it is amazing how many people have family or friends that have died by suicide or attempted suicide. Suicide is usually a permanent solution to a temporary problem, and it robs the young of their future and devastates families and communities. Anyone who gets a chance to go on a suicide first aid course ( called ASIST) should think about doing so because family and friends are often in a better position to spot that something is wrong than so-called professionals. Most GPs have had no training in suicide work at all........

Royster1911
06-Sep-07, 18:46
I train people in suicide first aid and it is amazing how many people have family or friends that have died by suicide or attempted suicide. Suicide is usually a permanent solution to a temporary problem, and it robs the young of their future and devastates families and communities. Anyone who gets a chance to go on a suicide first aid course ( called ASIST) should think about doing so because family and friends are often in a better position to spot that something is wrong than so-called professionals. Most GPs have had no training in suicide work at all........

What a great course for people to be on. How about the Prison and Police services applying fora place. God knows they need the training.[disgust]

moureen
06-Sep-07, 19:02
Thank you for your replies I have done the ASIST course and yes the police force are among services being trained along with GPs,council workers,nurses,now im not sure about prison services people but I am sure if they ask to be put on course they would be.Thanks again.

orkneylass
06-Sep-07, 19:15
In Orkney we have had police and criminal justice workers on the course - a huge variety of people in fact. Some of the people we think would make great suicide first aiders are hard to attract because it is a 2 day commitment - bar staff, hairdressers, taxi drivers, financial advisers...they see people at intervals, at times of crisis etc and people chat to them, so they would be in a great position to notice that something was wrong.

Thumper
06-Sep-07, 19:28
Do asist run courses locally?I would be interested in going to one if they did do the locally and I am sure there would be plenty other people that would be interested x

Moira
06-Sep-07, 19:55
Hi Thumper

ASIST courses were run across Caithness & Sutherland earlier this year. Have a look at the link which Moureen posted and get in touch with the folks there for an update on what may be available here in the future :-
www.chooselife.net (http://www.chooselife.net)

With the suicide rate being higher in rural areas like Highland than the national average, I'm sure your interest and the interest of anyone else here will be appreciated.

moureen
06-Sep-07, 20:13
Thank you for all the interest in my thread,one thing though GPs are offered training it might be a bit slow getting of the ground but they will get the chance to go on the course.There was people from all walks of life on the course when I did it in Inverness hopefully it will become easier to access soon.

Thumper
06-Sep-07, 21:04
Thanks for that moira x