PDA

View Full Version : Horse Excrement

mary & finlay
05-Sep-07, 21:24
I was appalled to see the amount of horse excrement on the public foot path which is adjacent to the caravan park in wick. I under stand that dog owners have to pick up dog excrement , I’m not saying that horses owners have to pick up any of it but, I’m lead to believe that you get special bags for horses to wear when there out in public places.

johno
05-Sep-07, 21:28
thats a fair point. we have two dogs & we feel it,s only right that we pick up after them. dont see why horses should be exempt from this ,after all just look at the mess that they leave.

SandTiger
05-Sep-07, 21:33
Hay, it's good for the roses ;)

Dadie
05-Sep-07, 22:24
horses are exempt their waste to put it politely is seen as fertiliser not as a nusaince and it doesnt contain the nasties that dog waste can contain

horseman
05-Sep-07, 22:37
Neddies have always been exempt from infringing the public highway
I mean how the heck can you get down from the saddle an scoop up a whoopsie?
This has been dealt with years ago:)

charley9
05-Sep-07, 22:46
Horse waste may be considered safe, but it still makes a mess if my pram wheels go through it, as sometimes it cannot be avoided, or my daughter gets it on her shoes, or even worse, the dog decides to roll in it. Hope ours isn't the only dog to do this.

Jeemag_USA
05-Sep-07, 22:49
their waste to put it politely is seen as fertiliser

So the footpath will probably have grown a foot wider by next week then.. sorry couldn't resist :Razz

grumpyhippo
05-Sep-07, 22:51
Hay, it's good for the roses

Thats strange, I thought it was hay that was good for horses:lol::lol:

SandTiger
05-Sep-07, 22:57
Horse waste may be considered safe, but it still makes a mess if my pram wheels go through it, as sometimes it cannot be avoided, or my daughter gets it on her shoes, or even worse, the dog decides to roll in it. Hope ours isn't the only dog to do this.

So does mud but it doesn't have the potential to send your kids blind like dog waste can :(

SandTiger
05-Sep-07, 23:00
Thats strange, I thought it was hay that was good for horses:lol:

Neigh... ;)

Scunner
06-Sep-07, 00:07
horses are exempt their waste to put it politely is seen as fertiliser not as a nusaince and it doesnt contain the nasties that dog waste can contain

But it doesn't half stink, when newly dropped, from a height.

Lolabelle
06-Sep-07, 06:59
But it doesn't half stink, when newly dropped, from a height.

Smells lovely, it must be the farm girl coming out in me. :Razz

Mister Squiggle
06-Sep-07, 08:36
An elderly relative of mine used to say that when the milk cart horse went past, shed doors would be opened up and down the street and fanatic gardeners carrying shovels would all appear, gathering the horse poo for their roses. In the town we lived in, competition was fierce for the "best blooms" at the local show, so it was thought that the poo gave some kind of performance-enhancing boost to the rose beds, in much the same way as steroids give a kick to an olympic athlete.
The story I was told was that one morning, the horse hadn't been quite as, em, generous as usual and two of the old fellas up the street had a stand-up argument about who got to the one miserly pile first. Now that's quite a thought, two respectable middle-aged men, with shovels, arguing loudly over a pile of fresh manure as to who had dibs on it. :)

henry20
06-Sep-07, 08:53
I think that the 'bags' for catching horse waste can only be used when the horse is pulling a cart/wagon as it is suspended between the horses rear and the cart.

binbob
06-Sep-07, 10:42
So does mud but it doesn't have the potential to send your kids blind like dog waste can :(

i am incensed by this remark...how many children or indeed human beings do u know that have actually gone blind due to the NASTIES [WORMS ] IN DOG POOP???I bet the answer is NIL.
having been around dogs my entire life[54 years] i have NEVER caught anything from a dog.......i have picked up dog poop now for many years.
yes i know we do read of some child who has had eye issues with worms from dog poop.i remember the last i read was more than 10 years ago.
it is awful it happened .......and i feel very sad for the child.
however,i have taken my dogs out and paws have been slashed due to CHILDREN doing this vandalism,daily.
i dop not have children but worked with all of my working life.
it is awful to step in dog poop ,but it can be cleaned.
not i job i like.but given the choice of [if i had any] my child falling in to dog poop or falling into broken glass/shredded cans..i chose the dog poop.no scars ..generally.
children must be taught to wash hands throughout the day.we all know that.and who in their right mind would allow a child to play with dog poop???

dogs are wormed frequently if owners take responsibility.
i have to add that i did catch flu...16 years ago from human beings...and i now am disabled by many things that were a consequence of that.well life is a lottery...i have dogs and have many friends [with children] and do not view dog poop as a HUGE RISK.

it also would appera as i have read in the past the low no. of children affected by worms in dog poop,was from their own dog!!parents not taking responsibility for their children or their dog/dogs!!

i would like to say i have written this and do not wish to enter a slanging match[which will happen].
this is it ,but i feel very strongly about this subject.
i am now off to do a poop scoop in my own garden.
then wash my hands very well with antibacterial hand wash..
please take responsibility for ur childrens hygiene......and may i say i would rather have read about a child falling into dog poop than seeing the anguish of rhys jones parents.
again act of terrible dimensions,by a so called human being.

i will not be posting anymore on the subject.

THE MORE I SEE OF PEOPLE THE MORE I LIKE MY DOG/DOGS

jsherris
06-Sep-07, 10:55
I think that the 'bags' for catching horse waste can only be used when the horse is pulling a cart/wagon as it is suspended between the horses rear and the cart.
Couple of years ago, the local council here decided that a poop scoop relay system would work well on the prom in light of the amount of manure on the prom road.....
How they envisaged it working was this...... a horse working the landaus would poop..... the NEXT landau along, would scoop the poop & deposit in one of the bins specifically designed & erected for the purpose.... in effect, each landau owner would be responsible for the one in front... and so Voila, a clean prom....
It never got past the planning stages! [lol]

So now our horses on the landaus are going to all be wearing horse nappies... yep, the buckets suspended between the horse & landau. So if you are on the landau, just hope it's not YOUR horse that poops, else your ride will be a very fragrant one & it's not going to be the seaweed you're going to be smelling!

On another note... Charley - it's not just your dog who rolls in horse muck - my little darling basset EATS donkey poo!! :eek: But rolls in seagull poo on the sands!

SandTiger
06-Sep-07, 11:43
Binbob, I'm sorry my comment on the matter have incensed you as that was never my intention.

Records show that there are approximately 120 reported cases of Toxocara canis per year and whilst that is not a great number it is obviously distressing for those involved and I'm sure as a responsible dog owner you would be the first to agree that one case is one case to many? Blindness or serious visual impairment are worst case scenarios but they do remain a potential option.

You like many other responsible owners clear up after your dogs and and frequently treat them for worms but research also shows that many are not so responsible with soil sampling showing widespread contamination of the environment, particularly parks and playgrounds with the eggs of Toxocara canis.
Snow KR, Ball SJ. Berwick JA. Prevalence of Toxocara species eggs in soil of five east London parks. Vet Rec 1987:121:66-7.
Glickman LT, Schantz PM. Epidemiology and pathogenesis of zoonotic toxocariasis. Epidemiol Rev 1981;3:230-50The point I was trying to make was that there is no evidence to support the suggestion that horse manure poses the same or significant health risk to humans, as far as I'm aware. Therefor it is wrong to draw a comparison between areas.

j4bberw0ck
06-Sep-07, 13:31
how many children or indeed human beings do u know that have actually gone blind due to the NASTIES [WORMS ] IN DOG POOP???I bet the answer is NIL

True. But I also know no one who suffers from anthrax, tetanus, polio, leprosy and a host of other conditions but I'd think it stupid and irresponsible if people left little packets of bacteria, viruses and parasite eggs lying around :lol: .

As for horses, riders should be fined for littering if they fail to clean their animals' great steaming piles of excrement from residential areas. Kirkwall's streets look like a midden after the Riding of The Marches each year. I'm sorry if it's inconvenient for riders having to climb down, anchor the horse (or whatever the technical term is), clean up the mess and put it in a rucksac or something. But looking on the bright side, it'd keep 'em warm on a cold day.

jimbews
06-Sep-07, 13:37
The point I was trying to make was that there is no evidence to support the suggestion that horse manure poses the same or significant health risk to humans, as far as I'm aware. Therefor it is wrong to draw a comparison between areas.

I have no genuine evidence to contradict you, but many years ago I had to deal with a student who was almost blind. She certainly claimed that her eye infection came from horses.

I gather toxocara is an Ascarid. Take a look at the following link.
YUK. But I haven't tried following up the life cycle, so judge for yourselves....

http://cal.vet.upenn.edu/paralab/labs/lab4.htm (http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://forum.caithness.org/go.php?url=http://cal.vet.upenn.edu/paralab/labs/lab4.htm)

JimBews

corgiman
06-Sep-07, 13:43
when abroad I see camels with bum bags so I assume they would work on horses :eek:

j4bberw0ck
06-Sep-07, 13:46
I thought holding it in was why they have a hump on their back........ would it work for horses, do you think? And is there a market for laxatives for camels? :lol::lol:

cat
06-Sep-07, 14:11
my basset and lab eat it too!!my horses dont eat theirs though!
it's just made of grass mainly and its quick to go,unlike dog poo. it should be easy to avoid walking into it or pushing pram wheels through given the size of it,it should be easy enough to see!unless of course you was unlucky enough to of trod in lots of dog poo and this affected your eyesight!!!JOKE
owning both i know what i'd rather stand in!!

brandy
06-Sep-07, 16:09
*grins*
my boys know to stay away from poo.. mostly..
we have a great time in the garden cleaning up after bubbles.
i go out with the doggy bags.. and they run around like mad to see who can find the most poos that need cleaned up!
and on the street.. ugghhh.. we try to advoid them at all costs!
with the YUCK!! nasty poop !
and my 4 year old.. asking why its not been cleaned up..
i have noticed though.. that the ones left on the street are more from little dogs.. anyone else notice that!
ohhh and for the horses.. *yipes* nothing like a toddler landing in a fresh pile of steaming fresh pile of horse..... manure.. yuck..
imagine walking home covered in it.. trying NOT to track it thru your house.. trying NOT to get it everywhere while you run a bath.. wondering what do you do with the clothes.. as you DONT want to toss them in the washer..
and then having to face cleaning out the bath.. after the several baths said child had to get clean and smelling of clean child again.

binbob
06-Sep-07, 17:54
Binbob, I'm sorry my comment on the matter have incensed you as that was never my intention.

Records show that there are approximately 120 reported cases of Toxocara canis per year and whilst that is not a great number it is obviously distressing for those involved and I'm sure as a responsible dog owner you would be the first to agree that one case is one case to many? Blindness or serious visual impairment are worst case scenarios but they do remain a potential option.

You like many other responsible owners clear up after your dogs and and frequently treat them for worms but research also shows that many are not so responsible with soil sampling showing widespread contamination of the environment, particularly parks and playgrounds with the eggs of Toxocara canis.

Snow KR, Ball SJ. Berwick JA. Prevalence of Toxocara species eggs in soil of five east London parks. Vet Rec 1987:121:66-7.
Glickman LT, Schantz PM. Epidemiology and pathogenesis of zoonotic toxocariasis. Epidemiol Rev 1981;3:230-50The point I was trying to make was that there is no evidence to support the suggestion that horse manure poses the same or significant health risk to humans, as far as I'm aware. Therefor it is wrong to draw a comparison between areas.

hello..i was not actually comparing dog/horse poop.

i know nothing about horses.

ii do thank u for ur comments...and yes one case is one too many.i would feel very sad for any child/adult affected by dog poop worms.
did all 120 cases actually go blind??

did they trace the source of infection???

i do think educating parents should be a priority.they in turn can educate their children.
once again i thank u for ur comments and will read the sources u have stated.
kind regards
binbob

binbob
06-Sep-07, 17:58
True. But I also know no one who suffers from anthrax, tetanus, polio, leprosy and a host of other conditions but I'd think it stupid and irresponsible if people left little packets of bacteria, viruses and parasite eggs lying around :lol: .

As for horses, riders should be fined for littering if they fail to clean their animals' great steaming piles of excrement from residential areas. Kirkwall's streets look like a midden after the Riding of The Marches each year. I'm sorry if it's inconvenient for riders having to climb down, anchor the horse (or whatever the technical term is), clean up the mess and put it in a rucksac or something. But looking on the bright side, it'd keep 'em warm on a cold day.

i do think ur comments are rather childish and silly.

as a child i did know of people with polio ..in my school.i also knew of leprosy[in africa].......
these things happen .interesting how u have jumped to the defence of horse riders...are u one??
as i said ..never known anyone affected by dog poop.
i weill say no more ,thank u for comments[silly as they are].

binbob
06-Sep-07, 18:01

i aead ur comments about horse excrement..not defending it..my apologies.pologise..i misread ur lines..u are not defending horse excrement.quite rightly..i do agree with u on that.

johno
07-Sep-07, 12:20
well why are the laws not moved to enforce horse rider,s to lift their dropping,s. if i were to open my car door & dump my rubbish anywhere in the street would,nt i be penalised, i mean once it,s discarded do,es it not become litter. just a thought. :eek:

Lolabelle
07-Sep-07, 13:09
If any of you are gardeners you'd be running out with a shovel, it is such good fertiliser. Someone mentioned earlier of mexican standoff's over piles of horse poo. Go on, get out there and grab it, you can even use your hands, it doesn't hurt, and if left, dries up and blows away in the wind [lol]