PDA

View Full Version : Legislation to registry authorities

angela5
04-Sep-07, 20:01
Briefly heard on the Radio today there is going to be a legislation to registry authorities not to accept names that would expose children to ridicule.
The new plan would involve knocking up a list of "reference" traditional names to guide parents back onto the straight and narrow. It would start with "no fewer than 100 names" and expand over time.
Doubt that 4real, princess tiaamii and superman will be on that list..:lol:

j4bberw0ck
04-Sep-07, 21:32
It's an interesting one, isn't it? A number of countries have operated system like this for many years - your child's name must be approved by, effectively, the State.

And yet in the UK you're legally entitled to call yourself whatever you wish without resorting to law (yes, OK, getting a passport might be awkward, but not impossible). So you don't even have to use the name you're given.

So why should the State step in and have a say over whether you call your child any particular name? And although I cheerfully admit that many people here think I'm a nutter, how can you be assured that in handing that power to the State they don't decide in the future, under a less liberal government, that naming your child "Margaret" isn't commemorating Margaret Thatcher, and ban it?

I'd much rather the State kept itself to the defence of the realm, enforcing the laws (mainly of property and contract), and got the hell out of deciding what we can call our children.

jsherris
04-Sep-07, 21:35
Oh... does that I mean I really can't call Nikki a..... oh, I can't type that word here, I'll get told off..... Haha! [lol]

No, I know what the threads about, I'm just kidding.

Evening everyone!