PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Browser?

Mr_Me19
03-Sep-07, 19:38
I was going to put this in the technical forums but decided her would be much better. My questions are simple. What internet browser do you use and why?

I use firefox. Would be lost without it. Love to have my extensions and themes. Plus I get to customize it in anyway I can think of really. I have only two gripes. The first of which being that it is a real memory hog. Secondly, for some strange reason it doesn't let me post on the org with it. I have to use IE Tab for that....

Anyway now its everyone elses turn...

Thumper
03-Sep-07, 19:44
I use btyahoo even though my son keeps telling me not to use it and to use mozilla for safer surfing :) x

jsherris
03-Sep-07, 19:49
I use Firefox - although I sometimes use IE for shopping - my firefox doesn't like tesco online - or vice-versa! but because I've shopped with tesco for about 4 years now, it doesn't take long to do the shop - a whole lot less than if I did trolley battles with the grannies in the aisles!

But yep, Firefox is best I think - I like the way it restores all my tabs if I have a PC crash! :eek:

karia
03-Sep-07, 19:50
Hi Folks,

Mozilla for me too...it works and it's not yahoo!;)

karia

Mr_Me19
03-Sep-07, 19:53
But yep, Firefox is best I think - I like the way it restores all my tabs if I have a PC crash! :eek:

That has saved me countless hours of time. It used to me me so angry whenever IE did that to me.

Edit: Oh and Thumper... Your son is quite right. Plus I have happened to use BT Yahoo browser and it is dreadful. The tabs are a pain and it is so unresponsive. You should listen to him.

Jeemag_USA
03-Sep-07, 20:06
I used to use Mozilla Firefox until Explorer 7 came out, I think its much better and gives me the tab browsing which I like from Mozilla so I don't use Firefox anymore. There are things both can't do, but there are things on wabe pages I like that Mozilla can't do like fixed backgrounds and so on, a very simple thing they could have fixed by now. Some people using Firefox have said to me IE7 has had a lot of complaints, I have never once had a problem with it, works great! At the end of the day its down to personal choice.

TRUCKER
03-Sep-07, 21:14
Hi i use morzilla firefox find it is a lot better than internet explorer not had any problems with it.

NickInTheNorth
03-Sep-07, 21:21
that Mozilla can't do like fixed backgrounds and so on, a very simple thing they could have fixed by now.
but why should firefox "fix" something that isn't even part of the standard for HTML etc that even Microsoft are signed up to, and helped to develop?

If it ain't broke don't fix it!

I use firefox exclusively and have done for just over 2 years. Cannot think of anything I cannot do in it.

johno
03-Sep-07, 22:33
i used to use fire fox and it was ok but as jeemag says explorer 7 suits me better to. i did have one prob with firefox cant recall exactly what it was ,something to do with java.

Julia
03-Sep-07, 22:51
I used to use Opera but have switched to Firefox, I don't trust IE. I also used Thunderbird as my email client

Jeemag_USA
03-Sep-07, 23:08
but why should firefox "fix" something that isn't even part of the standard for HTML etc that even Microsoft are signed up to, and helped to develop?

If it ain't broke don't fix it!

I use firefox exclusively and have done for just over 2 years. Cannot think of anything I cannot do in it.

Why not? Its not about fixing something really, its about allowing the ability to. I work in the Networks industry and everything today is about cross platform, if there is a simple ability to allow something to do something, then allow it to do it, it may not make a difference to you at all, but may make a difference to some others. I have to do a lot of designing and I could say well I am going to ignore users who use a screen resolution of 800x600 cause there is only a few of them? Its just my reason, Explorer does everything I want, so thats why i let people know I use it ;)

I also used Firefox for over two years, and I use IE7 now because I think it is better, not everybody does though.

Mr_Me19
04-Sep-07, 07:56
You definately have valid points there. I just cant help but find that internet explorer doesn't have the flexibility I want. Its so much harder to do things sometimes that in firefox.

There is also no way I would be able to survive without my plugins either.... :lol:

NickInTheNorth
04-Sep-07, 08:30
Why not? Its not about fixing something really, its about allowing the ability to. I work in the Networks industry and everything today is about cross platform, if there is a simple ability to allow something to do something, then allow it to do it, it may not make a difference to you at all, but may make a difference to some others. I have to do a lot of designing and I could say well I am going to ignore users who use a screen resolution of 800x600 cause there is only a few of them? Its just my reason, Explorer does everything I want, so thats why i let people know I use it ;)

I also used Firefox for over two years, and I use IE7 now because I think it is better, not everybody does though.

Hi Jeemag

Totally agree with cross platform etc, that is why internationally agreed standards are developed. Nowhere in any of the relevant standards will you find a fixed background. Therefore until such time as all the parties that set the standards agree the need for a fixed background and implement it as part of the next approved spec, why should anyone adopt it. (Incidently no-one has even suggested adopting fixed backgrounds as part of the standard.)

Lolabelle
04-Sep-07, 08:55
I didn't know there were any other kinds to use :eek:, I couldn't even work out what you were asking at first, cause I am IT illiterate. [lol]

Mr_Me19
04-Sep-07, 18:33
Don't worry about that Lolabelle. We were all computer illiterate at some point.

johndy
05-Sep-07, 15:37
I Use Bt Yahoo

Niall Fernie
05-Sep-07, 18:33
I use Mozilla and IE7, I have an IE skin for mozilla so unless I delve into the menus I find very little difference. I prefer mozilla's privacy options, but I mostly block any unwanted traffic from my PCs anyway so not too much of a problem on IE.

The only option I think is missing from both browsers is to be able to convert a tab into a new browser window. I hate having to cut n paste the url into a new window but I am bad for having 4 or 5 windows open with several tabs in each when doing a bit of surfing. Getting to grips with Ubuntu has made this worse as I've got loads of browsers running on my PC whilst I'm also browsing on my other Ubuntu PC via VNC, gets very confusing sometimes :)

Mozilla can't do like fixed backgrounds
Erm, yes it can.

NickInTheNorth
05-Sep-07, 19:47
The only option I think is missing from both browsers is to be able to convert a tab into a new browser window.

Can't remember the plugin off hand, but yes it can - firefox that is :D

tab mix plus is one that gives the option

Mr_Me19
05-Sep-07, 20:18
I use the Duplicate Tab plugin for this.