PDA

View Full Version : Why do all new bands sound the same?

mostlyharmless
03-Sep-07, 16:21
Why do all new bands sound the same?
Its always one guy/girl lazily moaning into the mike with a couple of guitars making alot of noise and somewhere in the lingering mist behind them lurks a drummer trying to smack the living daylights out of his hidden demons..or his drums of course.

rob murray
03-Sep-07, 16:52
On the whole most new bands recieving radio play and heavy promotion do, but this is as a result of the approach the majors take ( and always take ) in terms of signing and promoting "identi kit" bands / music. However, as a general statement, they dont all sound the same, there is a lot of exciting music out there which is being ignored by the major biz players. In point of fact there is a very energetic and active "underground scene" around, try and tap in there and you will very pleasantly surprised.

moncur
03-Sep-07, 16:53
Its always one guy/girl lazily moaning into the mike with a couple of guitars making alot of noise and somewhere in the lingering mist behind them lurks a drummer trying to smack the living daylights out of his hidden demons..or his drums of course.

Believe it or not, most bands tend to consist of:
a) A guy or girl singer. having animals, plants, inanimate objects tend not to be as effective as singers
b) one or even two guitarists and a bassist
c) somebody on the pots and pans.

new bands usually sound the same as each other if you are thinking along the mainstream rock genre. this is because the powers above try tapping into what 'kids are listening to nowadays' and they want their money.

moncur
03-Sep-07, 16:59
On the whole most new bands recieving radio play and heavy promotion do, but this is as a result of the approach the majors take ( and always take ) in terms of signing and promoting "identi kit" bands / music. However, as a general statement, they dont all sound the same, there is a lot of exciting music out there which is being ignored by the major biz players. In point of fact there is a very energetic and active "underground scene" around, try and tap in there and you will very pleasantly surprised.

I totally agree. I personally dont like the majority of the new indie type bands floating about although there can be a few good ones with catchy tunes that soon get on my nerves. Well, basically i dont like anyone who wears skinny tight jeans, a leather jacket and curly hair topped off with a trilby hat! Either that I'm sceptical about any bands starting with 'The' which im sure the_big_Mac agrees on.

zebedy
03-Sep-07, 17:00
its like why do we wear converse shoes moncur?

its a trend

Kev_Plastic_Food
03-Sep-07, 17:20
a) A guy or girl singer. having animals, plants, inanimate objects tend not to be as effective as singers

I think Plastic Food break this rule, our singer has been described as an animal, plant, and inanimate object. All during the same gig. Sometimes during the same song :)

mostlyharmless
03-Sep-07, 17:21
Hmm your right although I'm sure 'the art of noise' had some inanimate objects
leading the way and some were vastly superior to the sounds coming from some singer's tonsils.

Anyway do bands start up to make money or create whatever sound there mind and experience have given them?

What comes first there own originality, there desire to sound like someone else or the thought of money?

The Pepsi Challenge
03-Sep-07, 19:12
The music industry is run by the breweries. The reason everything sounds so formulaic is not a coincidence.

Jeid
03-Sep-07, 19:46
I totally agree. I personally dont like the majority of the new indie type bands floating about although there can be a few good ones with catchy tunes that soon get on my nerves. Well, basically i dont like anyone who wears skinny tight jeans, a leather jacket and curly hair topped off with a trilby hat! Either that I'm sceptical about any bands starting with 'The' which im sure the_big_Mac agrees on.

Ah... You're describing "Indie Wimp" kids... damn those indie wimp kids. I'm not keen on the whole skinny jeans, leather jacket etc carry on. Nor am I keen on the skinny kids, in skinny jeans, playing thin sounding guitars and singing crap "wo-oh" pop. I now like to refer to this genre(and the people who follow the trend) as Indie Wimp(s).

Yep... I sure hate Indie Wimp...

Indie Rock however... it's different...

moncur
03-Sep-07, 20:01
its like why do we wear converse shoes moncur?

I find the main reason that I buy them is because they are the cheapest size 15 trainers in the High & Mighty shop in edinburgh. £35 for a pair of cons or £110 for a pair of Nike air max hmmmm tough choice

Jeemag_USA
03-Sep-07, 20:13
If you want to hear a really refreshing new band that are trying to be different and are actually really really good, go buy the album by "Spoon" called "Ga ga ga ga" Its great!!

There are a lot of really good bands out there who are trying to be different, most are on smaller labels and you have to dig for them but they are there.

I agree kinda with the intial post, and with the replies. Its unfortunate. I can remember when Nirvana first came out, all the record companies were running around looking for the next Nirvana which in the end made all the stuff people were selling sound the same, it happens all the time, happened when Oasis came out, all R&B Rap artists songs sound the same, it just goes on and on, controlled by muppets.

Jeid
03-Sep-07, 20:16
Look at all the bands around now... just now Indie Wimp is cool. Next... I dunno what it'll be, but you get the point.

Phoebus_Apollo
03-Sep-07, 22:14
I liked Liam Gallaghers quote regarding Bloc Party that they were "a band off University Challenge".

Saying that they have a unique sound but it don`t float my boat.

BigKev
04-Sep-07, 12:57

All new bands do not sound the same, its just silly to say so.

However if all you listen to is popular, mainstream radio and tv, then you will hear two or three songs that sound very similar in each popular genre.

What the other posts say is true in that mainstream is just a fad, every so often it moves on another direction and hence the unknowns of that particular genre will spring up and the others fade.

stratman
04-Sep-07, 20:31

Is it 'cos we are getting old mostly'?

The Pepsi Challenge
05-Sep-07, 02:22
All new bands do not sound the same, its just silly to say so.

However if all you listen to is popular, mainstream radio and tv, then you will hear two or three songs that sound very similar in each popular genre.

What the other posts say is true in that mainstream is just a fad, every so often it moves on another direction and hence the unknowns of that particular genre will spring up and the others fade.

Trust me, everyone gets their music mastered at the same place The Neptunes do.

Metalattakk
05-Sep-07, 10:13
...all poodle perms, stacked heals and sub van halen riffing and twidling and this dominated for at least 10 years.

Nonsense. The Glam Metal era lasted for about 4 years. It didn't really take off until Bon Jovi went massive, and that was 1986 if I remember correctly. Poodle Rock (as you call it) was pretty much dead by 1990.

And another thing - Glam Metal never 'dominated' anything, except the front pages of Kerrang.

but I seem to see the mainstream as it is consisting of loads of skinny white kids, with skinny tight jeans and trilbys playing skinny sounding guitars

Aye, shoe-gazing students with their scratched-up telecasters, singing about how the whole world sucks.

But, as long as people are spoon-fed this rubbish, it'll continue to dominate modern music, because the average music-listener isn't interested in new, innovative, exciting stuff coming out, they're only interested in what NME or Radio 1 tell them is good.

Sheep led by sheep, controlled by unscrupulous record company bosses who don't put the effort in to generate their massive profits.

rob murray
05-Sep-07, 10:44
Yes well said, absolute nonsense. We agree that basically the music business is a business and first priority is money, hence always the need to resist any change and maintain the status quo through encouraging clones, the public want the public get, not what they want, more easy to run businesses in this way dont break a winning formula. Nirvana's break through ended another period of time ( and there are many other instances of this happening ) where the biz milked the public through clones. Thats factual, my opinions on the dominant genre ( however you may split hairs in what can be factually identified as poodle rock ) are not factual, I am merely expressing my opinion, so would obviously disagree with you.

Metalattakk
05-Sep-07, 11:00
It's the music industry's control of BBC Radio playlists that annoys me the most. Who are they to dictate what should and should not be played on a national, non-commercial radio station?

With the advent of home recording (on the common PC) and the huge rise in social networking sites like MySpace, combined with the easy setting-up of independent (in the true form) record labels, the big business conglomerate music labels are quaking in their boots just now. It's just so easy to write, record, publish and market your own music these days, without even going near a major label. - although that still would seem to be the main goal, if you look at major label's previous antics. (Anyone know if the got any return out of the 80 million pound deal with Robbie Williams? Now that was a good idea wasn't it - give him £80 million to halt his career immediately!)

No wonder file-sharers are facing the backlash!

guitarzan
05-Sep-07, 11:24
going back to the original post, if you think all new bands sound the same mostlyharmless you either looking in the wrong places or listenin to too much radio 1... as rob murray says the music world is a big place, have a look around.

in response to the posts thereafter, in my opinion music is about the individual listener as well as the era. you can have a song that to your ears is a timeless classic, whether that's because you relate it to a time in your life, a person or just plain and simply because you appreciate the song, but this might be pure audio diarrhoea to the person to your left. each to their own an' all that...

and if the "skinny jean, tribly wearing, tele toting, topman" bands of the world are popular at the moment, its for a reason - whatever that may be. if that ain't your bag, i'm afraid you'll just have to weather the storm...

Jeid
05-Sep-07, 11:44
and if the "skinny jean, tribly wearing, tele toting, topman" bands of the world are popular at the moment, its for a reason - whatever that may be. if that ain't your bag, i'm afraid you'll just have to weather the storm...

I get the impression you're in such a band. Nobody has to weather the storm. I don't buy into this whole Radio 1 carry on. Radio 1 is rubbish... full of rubbish. Rubbish bands, playing rubish music with rubbish production.

Popular for a reason? You're 100% correct... people are spoon fed it by the music industry... just like punk in the 70's, hair metal in the 80, grunge in the 90's and nu-metal in the early 00's.

This fad needs to die...

Seriously, how many people here can name a song that Pete Docherty has written?

guitarzan
05-Sep-07, 14:10
is this where i apologise for making music which some people dont enjoy? any music i have made or will be making is music that i like to play and listen to, as you and your band do i assume? the only of those four points which applies to me is that i play a tele... can't stand skinny jeans to be honest...

with regards to "pop" music in various decades, you can take a duck to water but you can't make them swim. i am a firm believer in that people like what they like because of who and what they are, not because of what people tell them to like. after all, you blantantly don't appreciate the "indie wimp" genre whereas myself and others do - nothing to do with being a sheep for the record company/radio propaganda or having no brain, simply because i enjoy the music.

i can guarantee whilst i like a lot of that style of music, at the same time though i can guarantee i like many bands you do... the wonder of the freedom of choice - no one has to be penned into one style or genre of music, it's only a poor show that some genres get more exposure than others...

as for pete doherty penned songs, i can name several - but then hey, by the same token i can name several dave grohl, sheryl crow, james hetfield or johnny cash have written - big deal...

rob murray
05-Sep-07, 14:24
Well said my man, ignore the comment on the "tele", the greatest guitarists there ever were played tele's ( but of course that is my opinion )

The Pepsi Challenge
05-Sep-07, 17:03
Music is all about hair and clothes. Always has been, always will be. Do yourselves a favour and read the section on "Debbie" from the Real Frank Zappa book. That'll about cover it all for you.

mostlyharmless
06-Sep-07, 11:19
Radio 1! No don't listen to it...but thanks for the comments I appreciate your
consideration to the question.
I have never been attached to any particular genre of music or any particular band but like a wide variety of songs,sounds and instruments from the whole spectrum and I wish that variety was more popular.
Perhaps this will grow as the internet makes more 'variety' available to the rising generation. There is so much out there!
How about the Big Gig...did this reflect that variety ? or reflect the diversity available in Caithness? or the culture or ... two guitars a drummer and an animate singer? Or was it a radio 1 type gig caithness style?

the_big_mac
06-Sep-07, 15:33
Radio 1! No don't listen to it...but thanks for the comments I appreciate your
consideration to the question.
I have never been attached to any particular genre of music or any particular band but like a wide variety of songs,sounds and instruments from the whole spectrum and I wish that variety was more popular.
Perhaps this will grow as the internet makes more 'variety' available to the rising generation. There is so much out there!
How about the Big Gig...did this reflect that variety ? or reflect the diversity available in Caithness? or the culture or ... two guitars a drummer and an animate singer? Or was it a radio 1 type gig caithness style?

Not at all, it was more like Monsters Of Rock with a wee bit of other stuff mixed in.

Not that I was complaining or nowt :D

moncur
07-Sep-07, 09:25
Here! Big mac! whats yon foto on your avatar? email it til me bhey!

theboysintheband
07-Sep-07, 14:08

Dont be silly!

How often does MIKA lazily moan?

YOUR point is ruined right from the start!

the_big_mac
07-Sep-07, 15:48
Here! Big mac! whats yon foto on your avatar? email it til me bhey!

Its one of the dudes from Chimera, and us of course! Didnt even realize it was him at the time, too drunk :lol:!

moncur
07-Sep-07, 16:41
Its one of the dudes from Chimera, and us of course! Didnt even realize it was him at the time, too drunk :lol:!

Och i mind now! he was lyk 'hey ur they two good lookin guys from Empty Fortune! Can I get my photo taken with u guys?'