PDA

View Full Version : Over sensitive or Politically Incorrect

thefugitive1993
03-Sep-07, 13:55
I wonder what makes a subject too sensitive to mention, and why we take offence at comments not directly aimed at us.
Here are examples that I have seen cause outrage:
A university professor was kicked out after a student protest he carried out a study that concluded in general black people had a lower IQ than white. This didn’t relate to any particular individual. If it was true was it an insult?
I remember hearing a black footballer (?John Fashinau sp) Saying that blacks were better footballers than whites because of genetic advantage. OK, but next he was outraged when the interviewer suggested whites were better swimmers for the same reason. No, No, that was down to lack of opportunity!
Race aside, people can be disadvantaged socially, have poor educational opportunities leading to academic underachieving, but try saying someone is just not intelligent enough and wow!
Religion, that’s another thorny one. Of course there is no Santa Claus, No tooth fairy, but no God!!
So what makes some topics taboo?

Bobinovich
03-Sep-07, 14:01
I don't think that these subjects are taboo, just that you have to be very careful about wording, generalisations, etc. to the point where you may consider it less heated not to take part in the first place [lol]

NickInTheNorth
03-Sep-07, 14:02
In general it is peoples inability to be dispassionate about a subject close to their heart.

Any debate needs to be carried out objectively. If you cannot listen to the argument without personalising all points made then you fall into the common trap of believing that you personally are being attacked rather than an idea with which you currently agree being challenged. If you can stand back and listen to the logic of an argument then it is possible to debate any idea calmly and without rancour.

thefugitive1993
03-Sep-07, 14:09
In general it is peoples inability to be dispassionate about a subject close to their heart.

Any debate needs to be carried out objectively. If you cannot listen to the argument without personalising all points made then you fall into the common trap of believing that you personally are being attacked rather than an idea with which you currently agree being challenged. If you can stand back and listen to the logic of an argument then it is possible to debate any idea calmly and without rancour.

I agree wholeheartedly, but what if the issue realtes to an individual or a group/race. I don't think comments of this sort are commonly viewed dispassionately (other than by people as broadmined as us, and then only if we are not the topic).

Jeemag_USA
03-Sep-07, 15:18
I don't think any subject is really tabboo to talk about anywhere, its just that not everyone will be willing to talk about it with an open minded, tolerant, mature attitude. As soon as one person makes a blinkered or narrow minded retort to it, several others will see it as an opportunity to descend into the same mode and then chaos ensues ;)

Camel Spider
03-Sep-07, 22:42
I remember the tables being turned in spectacular form on the PC Brigade, I once attended a "Ethnic Education Lecture" while in the Forces. All the usual being poured forth and we just wanted to get out and to the Pub, only two non white colleagues present who were notably squirming at some points, the lad I was sat next to was and is a good mate who just happened to be Black. At the end we were asked for questions and my mate raises his hand. The Officer looked delighted that his target audience was taking part at last.

XXXX next to me says he is bit confused about something, He then goes on to state that his skin his brown all year. He then points out that white people are actually pink in colour, go blue in the cold, red and brown in the sun and green when they are ill.

Officer looks confused and asks what the question is, XXXX simply states it is a bit unfair that he is the one referred to as coloured.

Cue shuffling of feet, muted laughs and an early finish .. ;)

Jeemag_USA
03-Sep-07, 22:43
I remember the tables being turned in spectacular form on the PC Brigade, I once attended a "Ethnic Education Lecture" while in the Forces. All the usual being poured forth and we just wanted to get out and to the Pub, only two non white colleagues present who were notably squirming at some points, the lad I was sat next to was and is a good mate who just happened to be Black. At the end we were asked for questions and my mate raises his hand. The Officer looked delighted that his target audience was taking part at last.

XXXX next to me says he is bit confused about something, He then goes on to state that his skin his brown all year. He then points out that white people are actually pink in colour, go blue in the cold, red and brown in the sun and green when they are ill.

Officer looks confused and asks what the question is, XXXX simply states it is a bit unfair that he is the one referred to as coloured.

Cue shuffling of feet, muted laughs and an early finish .. ;)

HA HA HA HA now thats funny :Razz