PDA

View Full Version : Songs we remember

trinkie
03-Sep-07, 13:14
Some weeks ago we had a thread about old songs but I cant find it, so excuse me for starting another.

Helenwyler mentioned The Piper of Dundee, a great old song from school days. I have it in my old song book of 1875 too, where the author George F Graham says that some persons believe the air ( Aiken Drum ) to be one of the most ancient airs in Scotland, he does not entirely agree with this - but it certainly is a very old tune.

Those of us who are old enough to remember the Modulator and Tonic Solfa may recognise the tune if I give a few notes.....

doh me me me doh lah, doh
Lah, soh, lay, doh me ray ray.........Did ye get it ??

Trinkie

sassylass
03-Sep-07, 22:51
snip...Those of us who are old enough to remember the Modulator and Tonic Solfa may recognise the tune if I give a few notes.....

Trinkie[/quote]

hmm Trinkie I am working on deciphering your tune, but is the note "lay" the same as "lah flat"?

trinkie
04-Sep-07, 07:43
I should have written lah ...... ( I was reclining at the time ! )

It's not lah flat.
I think it's a kind of quick march timing.

good luck,
trinkie

cuddlepop
04-Sep-07, 16:30
Some weeks ago we had a thread about old songs but I cant find it, so excuse me for starting another.

Helenwyler mentioned The Piper of Dundee, a great old song from school days. I have it in my old song book of 1875 too, where the author George F Graham says that some persons believe the air ( Aiken Drum ) to be one of the most ancient airs in Scotland, he does not entirely agree with this - but it certainly is a very old tune.

Those of us who are old enough to remember the Modulator and Tonic Solfa may recognise the tune if I give a few notes.....

Trinkie
Trinkie have a look in the music thread it may be there.:D

helenwyler
04-Sep-07, 16:46
Hi Trinkie

I think it might be that thread you started about a young singer, and the commentator spoke over her...Eileen somebody, wasn't it?

Anyway, I remember singing The Piper of Dundee at about age 12. We all put on our best Scottish accents, and belted out the chorus with abandon!!

Of course, the line we all liked best was...

And then he gae his bags a wheeze[lol]!

Adolescent girls, eh!;)

karia
04-Sep-07, 17:13
Helen Wyler!!:eek:

Back to the naughty step![lol]

Karia

helenwyler
04-Sep-07, 18:25
oh karia!!

Now you're hardly in a strong position to talk about 'naughty steps' after your slinky dress purchase yesterday;)!!

We were but but 12 years old, and relishing the theatricality of Scottish accents.... AND the enticements of a Scot wheezing his bags..........

I rest my case!

karia
04-Sep-07, 18:39
[quote=helenwyler;267499

I rest my case![/quote]

Hey Helen, ..the naughty step is a great place to rest your case!;)

Karia (the swankily dressed!)[lol]

X

percy toboggan
04-Sep-07, 18:41
'Whale meat again'....
old Norwegian mariners song to the tune of
Vera Lynn's auld fave.
Can't get it oot of me head like.
Oh! and
The Levellers: Liberty Song

helenwyler
04-Sep-07, 20:22
Hey Helen, ..the naughty step is a great place to rest your case!

Karia (the swankily dressed!)

X

karia!

If my ''case'' needed a rest, I would find somewhere with a high profile, more deserving of its merits than a 'naughty step' at the bottom of the stairs! ;)

Helen (responding rascal!)

trinkie
09-Sep-07, 13:57
Helenwyler - now I have found my National Song book dated 1955 price 16/6d ! Likely I bought it secondhand for 20p

What songs !!

All through the night.
Early one Morning.
Bluebells of Scotland.
Caller Herrin
Charlie is my Darling.
Come lassies and lads.
Girl I left behind me
Kelvin Grove

and many many more....... I'm off the tickle the ivories !!

Angela
09-Sep-07, 14:03
The two songs I remember best are "Westering Home" and "The Road and the Miles to Dundee".......my uncle used to sing them to me when I was little.

Awww......sniff! :~(:~(

scorrie
09-Sep-07, 14:27
'Whale meat again'....
old Norwegian mariners song to the tune of
Vera Lynn's auld fave.

Whale Meat again. Sounds like one of those classic misheard lyrics. There was an article in the paper very recently with examples from a book about the subject. Have to say that most were pretty disappointing. The pick of the bunch was probably the one from Elvis' Suspicious Minds, where, instead of "We're caught in a trap, I can't walk out", someone thought it was actually "We're Courting a Trout, I can't walk out"

helenwyler
09-Sep-07, 15:42
[quote=trinkie;269724]Helenwyler - now I have found my National Song book dated 1955 price 16/6d ! Likely I bought it secondhand for 20p
quote]

You did better than me then Trinkie - mine's dated 1905, price one shilling and sixpence and we bought it fro £2.50 a couple of years ago!!

Helen

trinkie
11-Sep-07, 09:26
HIGHLAND CATHEDRAL.
A hymn for Scots serving on Active Duty.

Music by Elrich Roever and Michael Korb 1982

Lyrics by c. Terry Mechan 1998.

There is a land from this distant shore
Where heather grows and Highland eagles soar
There is a land that will live ever more
Deep in my Heart, my Bonnie Scotland.

Though I serve so far away,
I still see her Dreams, cities and streams,
I can’t wait until the day
When I’ll come home once more

And so Lord keep me from the harm of war
Through all it’s dangers and the battles roar,
Keep me safe until I’m home once more
Home to my ain in Bonnie Scotland.

helenwyler
11-Sep-07, 09:47
Hi Trinkie

I've just been looking through my book, and apart from the ones mentioned on the previous thread I' reminded of

The Harp that Once thro' Tara's Halls

The Minstrel Boy

Robin Adair

A Man's A Man For A' That (I know the poem but not the melody)

Wish I could hear you tinkling the ivories for these:)!

Helen