PDA

View Full Version : Sandwich Maker

karia
03-Sep-07, 12:35
Morning Folks,

I have an inexplicable desire to go and buy a toasted sandwich maker today.....yes I know, it's not normal !:roll:

Anyhow before I hit the shops, do any of you have one and do you love it or hate it?

Is there a particular feature I should to look for?...or a particular brand?

Any favourite 'toastie' suggestions would also be helpful!:D

Karia

Niall Fernie
03-Sep-07, 12:43
I wouldn't bother with a toasted sandwich maker, you'll get sick of the toasties and the cleaning. Get a George Forman Grill instead, that way when you get sick of the toasties you can still use it for everything else and its so easy to clean.

Ash
03-Sep-07, 12:45
we have a george forman and its great for toasties and everything else, we have a baby one and can fit alot in it

BRIE
03-Sep-07, 12:45
I agree with Niall george foreman are much more practical & the toasties arent as fatty they do great paninis too.:D

karia
03-Sep-07, 12:53
Thanks guys,

I have a George Foreman grill which I adore but never thought of using it to make toasties....can some kind soul give me a quick run through on how to go about it?:)

Karia

angela5
03-Sep-07, 12:56
I don't use my George Foreman that much it's gathering dust:eek:
I do use my Sandwich Maker and the fillings can be endless, although cheese & onion is my Fav. experiment with fillings, you can always lob it in the bin if it doesn't work, but most things do!
Try to clean any residue left on the plates of the sandwich maker with a wet thick piece of kitchen roll shortly after use before it has time to entrench itself. But don't let the sandwich go cold. God no!

karia
03-Sep-07, 13:01
Thanks angela5,

What I don't get about using the G.F grill is how would you keep the filling from oozing all over the place?

Don't sandwich makers have a 'seal and cut' operation?:confused

Karia

Niall Fernie
03-Sep-07, 13:04
I simply make whatever sandwich I choose and bung it in the george forman, wait a few mins and its done, helps if you squeeze the top down when you first put it on to compress the sandwich a bit. I've also seen a few folk thinly spread a bit of margarine on the outside of the sandwich to help it go golden brown as it grills. As for the oozing contents, if you dont go overboard on the cheese etc you should have no problems.

angela5
03-Sep-07, 13:06
Thanks angela5,

What I don't get about using the G.F grill is how would you keep the filling from oozing all over the place?

Don't sandwich makers have a 'seal and cut' operation?

Karia

I have never tried using the George Foreman to make a toastie, Sounds too messy.
The sandwich maker does seal it, but mine doesn't cut it:lol:

Anne x
03-Sep-07, 13:10
I use my George Foreman a lot paninis or toasties easy cleaned etc but I do put a bit of butter on the outside to brown it .

I find the machine easy to clean even grilling steak or chicken etc

changilass
03-Sep-07, 13:19
I never use george for toasties, thats what the toastie machine is for, george would sulk for a week if he had to cook anything other than steak, chicken or chops, he's far to butch for toasties:lol:

Having said that, whilst we were away camping I used the toastie machine to cook boneless pork chops ... and very nice they were too :D

Andrew C
03-Sep-07, 13:19
yup....our toastie maker has pretty much been relegated to the back benches since the advent of the George Foreman. Its great not just for toasties, but for cooking every other sort of meat. The best purchase we made in a long time.

Andrew C

Thumper
03-Sep-07, 13:22
I use the GF for toasties sometimes too as long as it is a filling that is easy to keep in one place :) for the messier things you just can't beat the old toastie machine! I love honey roast ham and then crack an egg on top some salt & pepper pop the top on it and wait...great start to the day once in a while!Also corned beef,onion and tomato sauce yum yum x

Lavenderblue2
03-Sep-07, 13:44
I have a Hinari Pannini press - a one time free gift from Viking Direct would you believe - but I believe you can buy one quite cheap in Argos.

It's great and no trouble at all to clean as the plates are flat - I use it a lot.

I have the silicone toastie bags from Lakeland - they are good also - I've never used my GF for toasties.

LB

Ricco
03-Sep-07, 14:15
Cheapest solution of all.... get a couple of those silicone sandwich toaster bags (Lakeland Plastic do some) - easy as pie. Our machine hasn't seen any action since we got some. ;)

karia
03-Sep-07, 15:54
Okay guys, I went, I looked, I priced, I mused on everything that you had said.....and then like the girl I am...I bought a dress!:lol:

Who needs a hot sandwich anyway, it's still summer!;)

Karia..the rascal!

Ash
03-Sep-07, 16:03
Okay guys, I went, I looked, I priced, I mused on everything that you had said.....and then like the girl I am...I bought a dress!:lol:

Who needs a hot sandwich anyway, it's still summer!

Karia..the rascal!

a dress is far more important than a toastie maker! lol:D

Thumper
03-Sep-07, 16:19
Oh Karia a girl after my own heart :) thats exactly what I would have done, although it would probably have been shoes or boots with me x

changilass
03-Sep-07, 16:23
I'm not a very girly girl, but would probably have come back minus the toaster but plus some chisels or drill bits :lol:

karia
03-Sep-07, 16:25
Hi Thumper,

It is a lovely Psychedelic bell- sleeved short wee number.....so some kinky boots are next on the list!;)

A girl's got to complete the 'look':D

karia

karia
03-Sep-07, 16:27
I'm not a very girly girl, but would probably have come back minus the toaster but plus some chisels or drill bits :lol:

Gosh Changilass!...You don't half know how to accessorise!:lol:

karia

golach
03-Sep-07, 16:32
I never use George for toasties, thats what the toastie machine is for, George would sulk for a week if he had to cook anything other than steak, chicken or chops, he's far to butch for toasties:lol:

Oh no he is not Changi, George is a todays Liberated Grill, he can do all the jobs that an effeminate toaster can do and more [lol]

karia
03-Sep-07, 16:36
Oh no he is not Changi, George is a todays Liberated Grill, he can do all the jobs that an effeminate toaster can do and more [lol]

Hi golach,

Shouldn't the star to launch that type of grill be...

...Paul 'New Man'?[lol]

karia

Thumper
03-Sep-07, 17:08
Karia thats definately a great idea....kinky boots are a great buy :) I just can't help buying footwear and I have almost 70 pairs of shoes and boots so if you can't find a good pair give me a shout and I might be able to help out ;) x

johno
03-Sep-07, 18:23
[quote=Thumper;266977]Karia thats definately a great idea....kinky boots are a great buy I just can't help buying footwear and I have almost 70 pairs of shoes and boots so if you can't find a good pair give me a shout and I might be able to help out .quote]
70 pairs o shoes and you,ve only got 2 feet. keep going and you,ll catch up wi the centepede, lol , [lol] [lol]. ?? heh heh heh. Who was that shoe woman the ex dictator of the philopines wife.

karia
03-Sep-07, 18:53
Hi jonno,

That'd be Imelda Marcos..She did for shoes what Hitler did for Bunkers!;)

karia

EDDIE
03-Sep-07, 19:06
I have a george foreman grill its ok but when u cook things on it the food taste dry if u are going to buy one get a cheap one because the novelty soon wares off and u might not like the dry taste.
As for cheese toastie you can buy bags were you put your sandwich in a bag then into the toaster zero mess the likes of lakelands would sell that i use a hand grill gadget were it clamps the sandwich then u put it into the toaster and heat got it out of debenhams it is a bit messy but i like it.

Thumper
03-Sep-07, 19:38
Johnno, a girl can never have too many friends...OR pairs of shoes ;) If I could wear them all at one time believe me I would cos it would save me all the hassle of trying to choose which ones to wear!x

jsherris
03-Sep-07, 20:06
What a fantastic thread!
Karia, I loved the way you agonised over a toastie machine.... then bought a dress! Good girl!

My youngest would love you, I think - she works in a clothes shop.... has a day off & pops into town... comes back with clothes!
I started packing her bits up yesterday - she lives next door with her b/f but leaves her stuff here :roll:
SIXTY ONE pairs of jeans! I ask you - her & thumper would get on just great! [lol]

WeeBurd
03-Sep-07, 20:18
Hi Thumper,

It is a lovely Psychedelic bell- sleeved short wee number.....so some kinky boots are next on the list!

A girl's got to complete the 'look'

karia

Or some skinny's and pumps? ;)

karia
03-Sep-07, 20:36
What a fantastic thread!
Karia, I loved the way you agonised over a toastie machine.... then bought a dress! Good girl!

My youngest would love you, I think - she works in a clothes shop.... has a day off & pops into town... comes back with clothes!
I started packing her bits up yesterday - she lives next door with her b/f but leaves her stuff here
SIXTY ONE pairs of jeans! I ask you - her & thumper would get on just great!

Hi Julie,

Time to remind her that the brand of choice is 'Miss Sixtey' and she is now exceeding her denim limit....even if only by one!;)

karia

balto
03-Sep-07, 21:04
can i just say that my favourite filling for a toastie is chopped pork onion and tomato it is lovely. but thatts just my opinion mayby nobody else will agree but it is yummy

Lolabelle
03-Sep-07, 21:33
Okay guys, I went, I looked, I priced, I mused on everything that you had said.....and then like the girl I am...I bought a dress!

Who needs a hot sandwich anyway, it's still summer!;)

Karia..the rascal!

Well Miss Rascal,
Miss Lola would have come back with a dress too, but then I would also have found the shoes and a bag, love handbags. And still have gotten a sandwich maker.
But that's just me. :evil

Thumper
03-Sep-07, 21:40
oohh lola you are so extravangant ;) Have to admit tho that that would probably be what I would have done too....BUT the dress,shoes,boots and bag would have come first :) If I had any money left then I would buy the toastie machine lol x

Dadie
03-Sep-07, 21:45
mmm shoes, dresses, handbag and a new lippy to go with them all!
my kind of shopping!!

ps banana and brown sugar on brown bread makes a good toastie filling if after the shopping for proper stuff makes you hungry!!

karia
03-Sep-07, 21:48
Thanks dadie,

once you have the dress..the rest is easy ...but requires sustenance!

karia

Lolabelle
03-Sep-07, 22:11
oohh lola you are so extravangant ;) Have to admit tho that that would probably be what I would have done too....BUT the dress,shoes,boots and bag would have come first :) If I had any money left then I would buy the toastie machine lol x

And the toaster would have to be the most basic as I would definately be in hot water for going on a spending spree and not coming home with what I initially went out for. By the time I got the dress, shoes, handbag and lippy, I could only afford the cheapest. But then put on the dress, shoes and lippy to cook hubby a lovely dinner of toasted s/w and whack him up the side of the head with the handbag if there are any complaints.

'Course, with my Dave he would be happy to have me parade around in a new outfit, and even happier to be allowed bread to make the s/w with. We have a gluten free house, lol. And I can tell you that gluten free bread does not make good toasted sandwiches!

DeHaviLand
03-Sep-07, 22:13
I have a Hinari Pannini

Hmm, nice car

crayola
03-Sep-07, 23:48
oohh lola you are so extravangant. Have to admit tho that that would probably be what I would have done too....BUT the dress,shoes,boots and bag would have come first :) If I had any money left then I would buy the toastie machine lol xForget the toastie machine, buy more expensive shoes. We're worth it. ;)

Sporran
04-Sep-07, 07:38
Hi Thumper,

It is a lovely Psychedelic bell- sleeved short wee number.....so some kinky boots are next on the list!;)

A girl's got to complete the 'look':D

karia

Sounds like a dress I had when I was 13, Karia! It was purple, lime green, pink and turquoise, and I thought I was the bees knees when I wore it, lol!

The kinky boots came a few years later! :-))

Thumper
04-Sep-07, 09:24
Crayola,I couldn't agree with you more lol!I think we will have to start a new thread with something like "what's your most expensive fashion buy?" or something along that lines!Karia you will just have to pop up to caithness for an org night out and show off that new dress so we can all have a look see! And Lolabelle you are a girl after my own heart....plenty of times I have wanted to whack somebody with my handbag but it's usually when I have my chloe paddington with me and i am scared it might get damaged :) have to start taking cheaper bags around with me just incase I feel the need ;) x

crayola
04-Sep-07, 23:39
Crayola,I couldn't agree with you more lol!I think we will have to start a new thread with something like "what's your most expensive fashion buy?" I thought I would be the runaway winner until I read your posts. What men don't realise is that a girl needs shoes like they need coffee in the morning. They just don't get it and they never will.

I can recommend a few shops on Fifth Avenue. Hubby will never understand that a £20 pair from Tesco is no substitute for a pair of Viviers. ;)

Thumper
05-Sep-07, 11:14
Oh dear Crayola you are making me drool!!! My one dream in life is to shop for shoes in NY or anything else as well lol!I have got some cheap shoes but my favourite pair are the comfiest shoes ever and were a snip at £140...at the end of the day shoes are there for life-men come and go lol X