PDA

View Full Version : Ragra? Village/Property

Rhandy
03-Sep-07, 09:48
Trying to read a Birth and Marriage Certificate and 3 times what looks like Ragra is mentioned, would this be a village or property? or have I misread .It relates to the Sinclairs, Elizabeth marrying in Wick in 1797 . Is there anything in this thats rings a bell for anyone? Any input gratefully received.

Cheers
Rhandy

fred
03-Sep-07, 15:20
Trying to read a Birth and Marriage Certificate and 3 times what looks like Ragra is mentioned, would this be a village or property? or have I misread .It relates to the Sinclairs, Elizabeth marrying in Wick in 1797 . Is there anything in this thats rings a bell for anyone? Any input gratefully received.

Cheers
Rhandy

Raggra is just east of Loch Yarrows about 5 miles south of Wick.

domino
24-Oct-07, 19:53
Ragra is a small farm near Thrumster and Loch Yarrows My great aunt farmed there in the 40's and early 50's when I think their son took it over.
Their name was Bremner

Tighsonas4
25-Oct-07, 20:08
hi.
for many years raggra was farmed by at least two generations of
bremners.as been said its on the way up to yarrows on the right
hand side of road
regards tony

Rhandy
25-Oct-07, 22:00
Hi Tony and Domino,
I have since found out that my Sinclairs are the main line from Ragra, as after they married Elizabeth and John MacBeath moved to what looks like Surehams, Wick. (Some of these old documents are very difficult to read.) Johns mother was also a Sinclair, and I have another 2 in my Innes line. So far I have not found any Bremners,though I expect to. Its sounds as if Ragra is a village as well as a farm. A common practice here in Australia, when a town grows around a property , and some of them are 10,000 acre farms. Lots of ag labs and the first thing usually built is a pub. lol
Thank you for your input.Every little bit helps.
Cheers
Rhandy

spurtle
01-Jan-08, 12:11
Dear Rhandy,
Just flipping thro' this section and found your query on Sinclairs at Raggra. Your Innes connection is also interesting, as Inneses had thef arm of Oliclate (next door to Raggra. They eventually became lairds of Thrumster, and a younger son, Archibald, emigrated to Australia. There is a Thrumster in NSW, and he founded Glen Innes and Lake Innes. He was a fairly powerful figure in the colony, but fell on hard times. There is certainly a Sinclair connection with them, and I think it was a local one. I must look it up for you.
Burkes peerage shws the Inneses at that time - look for William Innes in Oliclate, and I think he married a Sinclair girl (mid 18thC??)
Happy NY

Rhandy
01-Jan-08, 22:15
Hi Spurtle,
Yes, I know alot about Archibald, oddly, I live in a small town not far from Glenn Innes. William Innes married Jean/Joan Sinclair about the mid 1750's. Their son Peter (Archibalds uncle) is my 3 x greatgrandfather. Archibalds brother Geoge also came here and died in 1837.Sister Barbara also came here. Georges daughters Annabella (married Patrick Boswell) and Margaret (both born "Yarrows" NSW) eventually returned to Scotland. Both died in Ayrshire. I have another Sinclair line on my great grandmothers side. Elizabeth Sinclair married John McBeath in 1797. She was also from Ragra. Her parents were James Sinclair and Christian Bain married 1771.John McBeaths mother was also a Sinclair, but I haven't progressed far with her. So far my Manson/Calder line has no Sinclairs...but I haven't finished yet.
I would love to have any information you could find on any of my Sinclairs. I would be eternally grateful. Elizabeth and Johns granddaughter Jemima ,married a 1st generation Australian of French descent. I am definately a mixture.

Thank you in advance
cheers
Rhandy

spurtle
03-Jan-08, 12:14
Dear Rhandy,
Here is your ancestor Peter Innes' entry in Burkes
"Peter in Tannach (also next door to Raggra) Capt 79th Regiment b. 17th Dec 27th 1756 m. 17th Apr 1822 Magdalen Manson, having legitimised his son

Robert of Hayfield of Olrig b. 1st Mar 1804

I am sure you have all these details already

Cannot see any leads from your Sinclair lady but she will appear in other sources I am sure

spurtle
03-Jan-08, 12:17
Oh here is another bit for you -
The 79th was also known as the Scotch Brigade, and was seconded to the States General (roughly the Netherlands) at the end of the 18thC. Both Peter and his elder brother, James, who bought Thrumster state from Sir John Sinclair, were listed as young Lts serving there.

Rhandy
03-Jan-08, 22:49
Hi Spurtle ,
thank you so much for taking the time to look this up for me, but......How reliable is Burkes? I have Peters OPR marriage 18/3/1822 and his OPR Baptism 20/12/1755.Though it could look like a 1756. The next year looks like 1754 , but after some magnifying it looks to be 1756, so that tells you how bad the penmanship is. Fred put a reply up for me under my query Captain Peter Innes and it says he died 29/4/1822. Its very hit and miss this research and I really do appreciate all the help from the orgres. I always get a good starting point.Now...if I can just find Magdalenes mother.......

Thanks again to all the lovely orgres
Cheers
Rhandy:o)

spurtle
05-Jan-08, 11:14
The Innes family entry was added by Sir Thomas Innes of Learney, when he held the post of Lord Lyon - I have always found it very reliable - I can check hatch/match etc for you - not at home at the minute, but will look him up for you in the local record , or Scots magazine is another good one for birth announcements.

Rhandy
05-Jan-08, 21:16
Hi Spurtle,
not heard of Scots magazine I will give it a google. Thanks again.
Cheers
Rhandy