PDA

View Full Version : Somerfields to Tesco's

zagor
02-Sep-07, 17:39
Whats with somerfields at the moment I was in there shopping just after lunchtime today and it was abysmal there was a que of around ten people for one till and and five maybe six at the kiosk all the other staff members seemed to be either chatting or mindlessly wandering the store. The sooner this store changes it has gone rapidly down hill after tesco's opened in wick the better hopefully Tesco's will sort it out.

NickInTheNorth
02-Sep-07, 17:50
Whats with somerfields at the moment I was in there shopping just after lunchtime today and it was abysmal there was a que of around ten people for one till and and five maybe six at the kiosk all the other staff members seemed to be either chatting or mindlessly wandering the store. The sooner this store changes it has gone rapidly down hill after tesco's opened in wick the better hopefully Tesco's will sort it out.

I could be wrong, but I suspect that just now the staff and management care about Somerfields about as much as turkeys care for Christmas.

But don't hold your breath waitng for a bright new future when Tesco open, they in common with all the British supermarkets are interested in just the one thing, profits for their shareholders. They are not coming to Thurso to be nice, but to turn a healthy profit. Cannot help but think that prices will nto be that good here, range limited etc

I'll stick to Lidl were the quality and value take a lot of beating.

Ash
02-Sep-07, 17:53
Nickinthenorth, i agree with what you are saying, i live in thurso and on the odd occasion when ive shopped in tesco i find it expensive, and ive heard that because its a smaller store they had a percentage to everything so it will be more expensive

i to shop in lidl and i save a fortune and i get really good quality food

angela5
02-Sep-07, 17:59
I was in Tesco the other night picking up a few things, i only took a basket so i'd only buy what i needed. Went to the checkout and was told 10 or less items till is at the bottom, i wasn't pleased, she wasn't serving anyone. Anyway went to the 'basket counter', 2 were open and they weren't serving anyone, but chatting away to a male member of staff. I had to endure a conversation about 'sex' until they finished their conversation before thinking about serving me.
Be careful what you wish for...[lol]

grumpyhippo
02-Sep-07, 18:25
chatting away to a male member of staff. I had to endure a conversation about 'sex' until they finished their conversation before thinking about serving me.

Was that a 'buy one, get one free' deal?

JimH
02-Sep-07, 22:10
I was in Tesco the other night picking up a few things, i only took a basket so i'd only buy what i needed. Went to the checkout and was told 10 or less items till is at the bottom, i wasn't pleased, she wasn't serving anyone. Anyway went to the 'basket counter', 2 were open and they weren't serving anyone, but chatting away to a male member of staff. I had to endure a conversation about 'sex' until they finished their conversation before thinking about serving me.
If you where treated like you say at Tesco - you should have made your feelings known to the people involved and asked to speak with the manager. That would have put the situation right immediately.
Regardless of what is said and what "people in the know" say Tesco would not be were it is today without giving customers what they want, and the service to go with it. Everything in this world has to be paid for.
The same applies to Asda, Morrisons etc etc.
Somerfield in Thurso has paid the price for not looking after it's customers, and poor management. Tesco will change it for the better - or suffer the same fate. The staff may well be the same people, but I think you will notice a very different attitude to their employer and their customers.
Remember - motivation comes from within the person - you can only create the environment for them to motivate themselves.
No I don't work for Tesco - they don't need me to stand up for them, but I am glad they came.

dunderheed
03-Sep-07, 08:27
zagor, i'm not derfending anyone here as my shift finished at 9am yesterday , but has it ever crossed your mind that if certain members of staff do not go to the tills when assistance is asked for over the tannoy , it might be because they are not trained in using them?
its not a case of just "jumping on" there has to be training given.
on the point of staff standing around yapping , well on this point i do agree with you it shouldn't happen.

dunderheed
03-Sep-07, 08:29
uh and as for loyalty to somerfield , i shall remain loyal until 2359 on the 3rd of october when we officially become part of the tesco group.

zagor
03-Sep-07, 12:02
I actually felt sorry for the two people who were manning the tills it wasnt fair on them with all the grumpy people. Ive done shop work and I know how impatiant people can be. Its not the staff thats at fault but management

rangers07
03-Sep-07, 16:19
Lidls is rotten.

tescoloyal

NickInTheNorth
03-Sep-07, 16:26
Lidls is rotten.

tescoloyal

Always good to see a thoughtful intelligent post :roll:

What is rotten about Lidl's?

They sell better Fruit and Veg than any other supermarket chain I have used in the past 6 years.

Although they sell many brands unfamiliar to the British consumer all that I have tried so far have been superior in most respects to most of the leading British brands.

I am afraid that when it comes to Lidl's most folk seem prejudiced against it because it is seen as a store for folks that cannot afford to shop anywhere else. I must admit that until fairly recently that was my impression. Since starting to shop there on a regular basis my attitude has changed dramatically. It be be a low cost supermarket, but if the big name supermarkets could get anywhere close on quality then we would all be better served.

bluewickers
03-Sep-07, 16:47
i used to shop in lidlls but stopped as I found shopping in somerfields slightly cheaper on quite a few of the products that i normally buy, also lidll dont stock a good variety of lower fat/calorie, healthier options products. As for the fruit and veg yes its cheaper but the quality is not there.

NickInTheNorth
03-Sep-07, 16:52
i used to shop in lidlls but stopped as I found shopping in somerfields slightly cheaper on quite a few of the products that i normally buy, also lidll dont stock a good variety of lower fat/calorie, healthier options products. As for the fruit and veg yes its cheaper but the quality is not there.

each to their own, but I have found the fruit and veg to be far better in quality than either tesco or somerfield.

It last ages - I've had carrots from there for over 2 weeks and they've still been fine. Most supermarket carrots I've bought have been covered in black mould within a week, and rotten a day or two later.

Ash
03-Sep-07, 17:08
each to their own, but I have found the fruit and veg to be far better in quality than either tesco or somerfield.

It last ages - I've had carrots from there for over 2 weeks and they've still been fine. Most supermarket carrots I've bought have been covered in black mould within a week, and rotten a day or two later.

i love lidls!

shop there the whole time, fruit is fab! good for kids stuff aswell, why spend a fortune on crisps or sweeties and juice. i love all the stuff from there:D

gollach
03-Sep-07, 18:38
i love lidls!

shop there the whole time, fruit is fab! good for kids stuff aswell, why spend a fortune on crisps or sweeties and juice. i love all the stuff from there:D

Agree with both of you there, Lidl has the best fruit and veg in Thurso by a long way :)

Ash
03-Sep-07, 18:46
Agree with both of you there, Lidl has the best fruit and veg in Thurso by a long way :)

i love their mangos and bananas, so much more choice and they are taking in brand names aswell, i used their own brand of past sauce and its lovely

connieb19
03-Sep-07, 18:58
i love lidls!

What good kids stuff do they have?

Ash
03-Sep-07, 19:02
there cartons of juice, apple,oj ect
they have a selection of sweets which are good for treats and crisps
there kids yoghurts
there cheese strings
my wee one loves there pitta breads and wraps

telfordstar
04-Sep-07, 10:27
I look forward to my weekly/fortnightly trip to lidls im with you nickofthenorth im all for thier fruit and veg i find it nice and cheap and very cheerful although i will hold my hands up and admit in a bit weary of thier own branded products but the few things ive had like thier own biscs and frozen meals have been excellent but fresh food im not that keen on buying but are finding more and more branded products instore every week .

nanoo
04-Sep-07, 12:34
i agree with you ash, there is nothing wrong will Lidls. I don't shop there every week but i do about twice a month, their own branded products are fine, have'nt bought anything yet that i did'nt like and yes their fruit and veg is great as well. Try their biscuits and cakes, they are also great. So what if they are cheaper, is'nt that a good thing? :roll:

Ash
04-Sep-07, 12:50
i agree with you ash, there is nothing wrong will Lidls. I don't shop there every week but i do about twice a month, their own branded products are fine, have'nt bought anything yet that i did'nt like and yes their fruit and veg is great as well. Try their biscuits and cakes, they are also great. So what if they are cheaper, is'nt that a good thing? :roll:

well you would think cheaper = good, but some people are only interested in brand name products, im happy with doing my shopping there and saving a fair bit in money

olivia
04-Sep-07, 13:15
I think Lidls is great for all the German foods you can get - the genuine article - try there tubs of ham salad, they are fab.
I find the majority of staff in Somerfields always standing around gossiping and where's the choice - huge shelves with just one brand soup etc.
I'm sure there will be a huge shake up when Tesco takes over, and not before time.

bekisman
04-Sep-07, 14:17
astounded -Just been chatting to our local Postman 'out west' and he says that "Somerfields is cheaper than Tesco's" - seeing that we've just come home from Thurso and a quick final look around their Somerfields store I can tell him he's talking twaddle!

Thumper
04-Sep-07, 14:26
I like Lidls but some of their staff can be really horrible too!Not naming anyone as that would be a bit unfair but one member of staff acts like you should go down onyour knees and kiss her feet just for her serving you.I do like their fruit and veg and also their pasta salads and baked ham, infact their ham is far better than any other I have tried.i guess no matter what the shop is you will always find that some staff are good and happy and helpful whereas others are there to do as little as possible to pick up a paypacket x

lady penelope
04-Sep-07, 18:20

Next time you're in Tesco mention this to a Team leader or to the Customer Service Desk or ask for a comment form. The staff are there to work not chat!