PDA

View Full Version : Jane Calder b 1805 or 1806 Olrig

Chrysta
02-Sep-07, 16:55
I have a Jane Calder in my family tree. I know Jane married William Bakie/Baikie on 18 August 1836 in Olrig but I don't know who Jane's parents were. There are two possibles for her parents:

James Calder and Isabella MacBeath - their daughter Jane was born 15 February 1805 in Olrig

Robert Calder and Janet Stephen - their daughter Jane was born 1 January 1806 in Olrig

I know one Jane married a Hugh McKay on 16 April 1833 and if I can find this one, I'll know the other parents belong to my family tree.

Any information would be greatly appreciated

fred
02-Sep-07, 18:49
I have a Jane Calder in my family tree. I know Jane married William Bakie/Baikie on 18 August 1836 in Olrig but I don't know who Jane's parents were. There are two possibles for her parents:

James Calder and Isabella MacBeath - their daughter Jane was born 15 February 1805 in Olrig

Robert Calder and Janet Stephen - their daughter Jane was born 1 January 1806 in Olrig

I know one Jane married a Hugh McKay on 16 April 1833 and if I can find this one, I'll know the other parents belong to my family tree.

Any information would be greatly appreciated

Jane's age is given as 25 on the 1841 census so I wouldn't think she was born before 1811.

Jane and William married in Thurso not Olrig so it's possible she was born there.

Chrysta
17-Sep-07, 22:36
Hi Fred

Thanks for your post. I'm sorry I haven't replied sooner but I didn't receive a notification (as I usually do).

I take your point completely about Jane's age being given as 25 on the 1841 census but the only Jane I can find b in Thurso was 1803 and I know her name was definitely Jane and not Jean or Janet. After searching on the GROS and by process of elimination - by marrying off every other Jane between 1805 and 1819 - I came to the two born in 1805 and 1806.

If you have any other suggestions as to how to go about this do please let me know.

Chrysta

fred
18-Sep-07, 02:08
Hi Fred

Thanks for your post. I'm sorry I haven't replied sooner but I didn't receive a notification (as I usually do).

I take your point completely about Jane's age being given as 25 on the 1841 census but the only Jane I can find b in Thurso was 1803 and I know her name was definitely Jane and not Jean or Janet. After searching on the GROS and by process of elimination - by marrying off every other Jane between 1805 and 1819 - I came to the two born in 1805 and 1806.

If you have any other suggestions as to how to go about this do please let me know.

Chrysta

Unless you get lucky I don't think there's a lot you can do but guess.

William and Jane called their first daughter Margaret, their son William married an Ann McKay who was from Lochend and called their fourth daughter Margaret, he was farm manager at Stirkoke. Their son Alexander married Elizabeth Doul and became a farm manager in Orkney, in the 1881 census he gives his birth place as Dunnet not Olrig, they called their second daughter Jane Calder BTW.

My guess would be that Jane was the daughter of David Calder and Margaret Groat born on the 13th May 1812 and christened on the 17th of May at Dunnet but it's far from certain.

Chrysta
11-Oct-07, 17:55
Hi Fred

Many thanks for the post, I think I am getting nearer to finding out who Jane's parents were by process of elimination.

What does BTW mean?

Chrysta

fred
11-Oct-07, 18:00
What does BTW mean?

It's short for "by the way".