PDA

View Full Version : proper chips

percy toboggan
02-Sep-07, 16:32
after years enduring oven chips of various kinds we have now purchased a deep fat fryer and are enjoying real chips once more. Cut thick, and cooked in cholesterol free oil they are a revelation. It doesn't take much to make me happy and a dollop of these twice, or even three times per week with a variety of accompaniments (chicken,egg,fish etc) will keep me smiling long into the evening.

I like a generous portion of tomato ketchup , and some malt vinegar.
A person of simple tastes I'll have my share of health foods and such but put simply....you can't beat a proper chip - although I draw the line at lard !

Ash
02-Sep-07, 16:35
i love homemade chips, i dont own a deep fat fryer as i know it would be used alot, my dad always used to make homemade chips when i lived at home so now when i got for dinner, i drop the hint on what i want lol!

you cant beat them :D

anneoctober
02-Sep-07, 17:04
HHmmmmm. golden to dark coloured big cut chips, sprinkle of salt and loads of vinegar, which wafts up your nose causing your eyes to stream ! Bring it on Percy....... [lol]

karia
02-Sep-07, 17:11
Evening Guys,

Have you ever met anyone who DOESN'T like chips?... I haven't!:)

I only allow myself chips when on holiday!:(

Karia

angela5
02-Sep-07, 17:14

Karia

My Son doesn't like chips :confused

karia
02-Sep-07, 17:20
My Son doesn't like chips

WOW!!:eek:

Have you contacted the Guinness Book of Records?;)

karia

badger
02-Sep-07, 17:27
Many years ago I worked for a millionaire property tycoon who told me how to make chips - and he was dead right, best ever. Just an ordinary saucepan with one of those wire drainer things. You can't beat home made with salt (don't like vinegar).

hotrod4
02-Sep-07, 17:42
The way i do mine is as follows:
Peel and chip.Bigger is better(less fat)
Place in HOT water and wash the chips through(removes the starch)for a few mins.
Drain in a collander.
When drained drop in oil(personally i prefer dripping, but wife insists on Corn oil now!!!) at 170 degrees and "blanch" (cook without colour)for a few mins, soft to touch.
Lift out of pan.
When you want them fry them at 190 degrees to colour.
The result a lovely fluffy crisp chip that is hard to beat.
try it this way you wont be disappointed.

Used to do it this way for 350 hungry guys a day in the Army and they always loved them!!!!

Thumper
02-Sep-07, 17:45
Angela5 you are not alone my son doesn't like them either :( x

angela5
02-Sep-07, 17:49
Angela5 you are not alone my son doesn't like them either x

So glad i never contacted the Guinness book of records.;)[lol]

helenwyler
02-Sep-07, 17:54
The way i do mine is as follows:
Peel and chip.Bigger is better(less fat)
Place in HOT water and wash the chips through(removes the starch)for a few mins.
Drain in a collander.
When drained drop in oil(personally i prefer dripping, but wife insists on Corn oil now!!!) at 170 degrees and "blanch" (cook without colour)for a few mins, soft to touch.
Lift out of pan.
When you want them fry them at 190 degrees to colour.
The result a lovely fluffy crisp chip that is hard to beat.
try it this way you wont be disappointed.

Used to do it this way for 350 hungry guys a day in the Army and they always loved them!!!!

I agree hotrod4 - definitely better cooked twice...that's how my dad did them too! ;)

NickInTheNorth
02-Sep-07, 17:58
But please folks don't use an ordinary pan, there's no need. Get a proper deep fat fryer with a thermostat. The number of house fires started by chip pans in recent years has taken a decent fall, simply because not so many folks use an old fashioned chip pan.

It is so easy to get distracted and leave them on the heat, and before you know it a very dangerous blaze is ready to destroy your house, and kill your family!

Ash
02-Sep-07, 18:16
But please folks don't use an ordinary pan, there's no need. Get a proper deep fat fryer with a thermostat. The number of house fires started by chip pans in recent years has taken a decent fall, simply because not so many folks use an old fashioned chip pan.

It is so easy to get distracted and leave them on the heat, and before you know it a very dangerous blaze is ready to destroy your house, and kill your family!

my dad used to be a fireman and alot of his call outs were chip pan related
he is always telling me never to get a chip pan

NLP
02-Sep-07, 18:19
[quote=karia;266364]Evening Guys,

My daughter hates chips and tatties does take after her mum there I love real chips

karia
02-Sep-07, 19:30
Hello Chip lovers all,

I have to agree with both camps!

Yes, the old method was the best ...and most dangerous, both in terms of your heart disease, cholesterol levels and fire safety!

Oven chips were never a contender!:roll:

Lakeland is currently taking 'orders only' due to demand for their very expensive ' chips without fear' fryer!..@ £150...The oil is sprayed on during cooking and so nothing is 'sat' in oil.

I wonder what the chips taste like?:eek:

Any takers for writing a review for the Org?

Karia

Mr_Me19
02-Sep-07, 21:05
You know what the worst thing ever is? Chips that taste like..... Potatoes!!!!

I think its when they are over cooked that they go like that. I can't stand potatoes (unless they are roasted) so I absolutely hate my chips like that!

JimH
02-Sep-07, 21:46
Being a Scouse, I love chips with everything.
My Boss - Bless her - Uses the good old fashioned chip pan, filled with beef dripping, cuts them thick and cooks them soft inside. They make fabulous CHIP BUTTIES.
HOWEVER! The next best thing to home made are served in The FARR BAY INN at Bettyhill. They are DELICIOUS and served HOT with a variety of other goodies.
Please do not preach fire safety to me - I was once a wholetime Fireman - and we NEVER leave it unattended.

Julia
02-Sep-07, 22:25
I don't think I've owned a chip pan for at least 15+ years, they scare me and I hated cleaning the damn thing out.

I had oven chips last night and they were awful, all soft and soggy! That will teach me for turning the oven down so I can cook something else along with the chips :roll:.

The Smiddy Inn at Thrumster makes brilliant homemade chips, they are the only ones I ever get

Lolabelle
02-Sep-07, 22:27
HHmmmmm. golden to dark coloured big cut chips, sprinkle of salt and loads of vinegar, which wafts up your nose causing your eyes to stream ! Bring it on Percy....... [lol]

You're making my mouth water at the thought Anneoctober!

NickInTheNorth
03-Sep-07, 08:23
Being a Scouse, I love chips with everything.
My Boss - Bless her - Uses the good old fashioned chip pan, filled with beef dripping, cuts them thick and cooks them soft inside. They make fabulous CHIP BUTTIES.
HOWEVER! The next best thing to home made are served in The FARR BAY INN at Bettyhill. They are DELICIOUS and served HOT with a variety of other goodies.
Please do not preach fire safety to me - I was once a wholetime Fireman - and we NEVER leave it unattended.

That being the case JimH I would have expected you to be reinforcing the message to others rather than saying not to preach fire safety!

dunderheed
03-Sep-07, 08:51
Evening Guys,

I only allow myself chips when on holiday!:(

Karia

karia funny as it may seem my 9year old daughter if you were to ask her claims not to like chips (but will eat them occaisionally)

Ricco
03-Sep-07, 14:35
Drool! Gosh its years since I had homemade chips. I always reckon homemade are the very best. Crisp on the outside and soft in the middle. Stick a couple of poached / fried eggs on top and stab the yolks. Loverly!

Jeemag_USA
03-Sep-07, 15:23
after years enduring oven chips of various kinds we have now purchased a deep fat fryer and are enjoying real chips once more. Cut thick, and cooked in cholesterol free oil they are a revelation. It doesn't take much to make me happy and a dollop of these twice, or even three times per week with a variety of accompaniments (chicken,egg,fish etc) will keep me smiling long into the evening.

I like a generous portion of tomato ketchup , and some malt vinegar.
A person of simple tastes I'll have my share of health foods and such but put simply....you can't beat a proper chip - although I draw the line at lard !

Home made chips, cut from the tattie cannot be beat. I am with you o that one, and its been a while since I had them, I am sure my mam will fix me up when I come home [lol]

Now you have the frier you need to try the tattie skins too :Razz

JimH
03-Sep-07, 16:31
That being the case JimH I would have expected you to be reinforcing the message to others rather than saying not to preach fire safety!
I do not preach to anybody - And the old fashion chip pan is as safe as any other when used with care. No machine - pan or computer is safe in the hands of an idiot. Every chip pan fire I attended was caused by someone leaving it unattended. I have heard all the excuses for leaving it - it takes a split second to remove it from the heat.
You cannot blame the chip pans for that. Like smoke alarms - if not fitted properly with good batteries or power supply - they are no good.

psyberyeti
03-Sep-07, 21:03
Yes, I spent many years not allowed chips. Then a mad moment and I put my foot down and demanded a deep fat fryer. I cooked the chips in lard and I thought that I had died and gone to the better part of heaven. Now I'm only allowed oven chips at home, but they do need to be with a couple of fried eggs, sausages and a can of baked beans.

The best chips out have to be from Elizabeths cafe in Bettyhill. Beautiful, light and crisp, with a real crunch, not like those nasty woody oven chips. Their fish is probably the best I've tasted anywhere as well. It's a treat I'm allowed all too infrequently, but rationing has helped to get my waist size down a few inches. :cool: