PDA

View Full Version : Good Tesco Food ??

Camel Spider
01-Sep-07, 20:19
A new Tesco has just opened in my town and I was just wondering if anyone has any recommendations as to the best food and meals they sell ??, as a single man who thinks putting cheese on beans on toast is exotic I now have a world of choice to what was already there. I plan to bee line in, get some good scoff and get straight out again .. I regard shopping as a form of torture !!

Moby
01-Sep-07, 21:06
I head straight for their mangoes, aspragus and Deli wraps - not to be eaten together though :)

Fluff
01-Sep-07, 21:06
Its not a food, but i love their own brand lemonade. really cheap, has a nice taste to it.
other than that, i don't but any of their own brand stuff

karia
01-Sep-07, 21:15
Hi Moby,

Forget the asparagus! The season is long gone and T's are importing from Peru!

Tenderstem brocolli is good..... and their lamb is well priced, really lean and cooks well.

Irish wheaten bread is yum, but avoid their 'soft rolls'..they're not!:(

They are currently upgrading their wine selection to aim at the £8/£10 daily spend per bottle, as a result there are a lot of medium priced wines clearing at 'giveaway prices'.;)

Karia

orkneylass
01-Sep-07, 22:42
Had a mean stir fry with tesco black bean sauce from my grand day out to Wick!

telfordstar
01-Sep-07, 22:48
hi fluff

im with you i to buy thier own lemonade it its so good and the gas in it lasts for ages and is really cheap. i like thier own garlic bread from the fridge full of garlic butter totally delicious. my husband swears that thier tesco value jafa cakes are way better than the other jaffa cakes and very well priced

helenwyler
01-Sep-07, 23:28
the gas in it lasts for ages and is really cheap.

Heehee telfordstar!

It really is true then...'every little helps'[lol]!

angela5
01-Sep-07, 23:55
hi fluff

my husband swears that thier tesco value jafa cakes are way better than the other jaffa cakes and very well priced

My kids say the exact same thing.

Venture
01-Sep-07, 23:58
Have to say that I purchased for the first time one of their ready meals from the FINEST range. It was absolutely superb. Chicken breast in an orange, honey and garlic sauce with parsnips. More than enough for two at 3.99. I also bought diced roasted potatoes with bacon and onion for 1.99 from same range. Took about half an hour to prepare a great meal. Also their ready made carrot and suede mash is very tasty.

DeHaviLand
02-Sep-07, 00:41
from one single man to another, heres my very best tip. Fill your freezer with tesco own brand chicken and beef currys. £4.00 for 5, and you'll never starve. Should be enough in one for a meal, but if you feel like having another one, well its only 80p. I virtually lived on them for 6 months, of course I've got a grip now and eat far more healthily, but why shouldn't you suffer like I did? :D

Camel Spider
02-Sep-07, 01:58
from one single man to another, heres my very best tip. Fill your freezer with tesco own brand chicken and beef currys. £4.00 for 5, and you'll never starve. Should be enough in one for a meal, but if you feel like having another one, well its only 80p. I virtually lived on them for 6 months, of course I've got a grip now and eat far more healthily, but why shouldn't you suffer like I did? :D

Sounds like an excellent plan for the when the munchies strike post pub .. ;) .. the girlfriend is trying to make me eat a bit healthier now, they have loads of choice so I am just looking to narrow things down a bit. Their fish looks excellent so might have to give some of that a bash. I Know what you mean about living on the ready meals though as when I am home I just eat the stuff that goes *ping* when its ready !!

orkneylass
02-Sep-07, 10:09
Nothing wrong with enjoying your currys as long as you eat your fruit and veg too - how do people find Tesco for that?

golach
02-Sep-07, 10:17
C.S.
Did you not see this programme, I will not eat Tesco's or Asda's curries anymore, the conditions they are made in was diabolical.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6676345.stm

Julia
02-Sep-07, 11:13
I can definitely recommend Tesco's own Mild Chilli Sauce for making chilli con carni, it's much tastier than Uncle Ben's.

botheed
02-Sep-07, 11:15
A new Tesco has just opened in my town and I was just wondering if anyone has any recommendations as to the best food and meals they sell ??, as a single man who thinks putting cheese on beans on toast is exotic I now have a world of choice to what was already there. I plan to bee line in, get some good scoff and get straight out again .. I regard shopping as a form of torture !!the best thing to come out of tesco is the road back to the co/op

bluelady
02-Sep-07, 14:12
It's not what they got, its how you use it. They have some nice frozen chicken tikka or plain pieces of Chicken.
For a quick meal, stir fry the pieces in some stir in sauce with some onion, peppers, sliced thin strips of carrot and some tomato's, put in deli wraps and you have a nice quick meal. Otherwise stir the tikkka slices in a jar of tikka slice, add onions, carrots and mushrooms (or whatever else you like) boil your rice at the same time, or buy the ready made frozen stuff, that you pop in the microwave, and you have a nice quick curry for yourself and your girlfriend. Go and have a good look around first,there's lots more ideas if you think about it. then when you get used to what you require, you can still get in and out quick :D

Ricco
02-Sep-07, 15:34
They do a real mean 'Best' Aberdeen meat balls and vegetable meal. We love it!