PDA

View Full Version : An open letter to caithness.org

exwicker
01-Sep-07, 19:11
The reason ive made this open is 2 fold:1,we live in a democracy2,the right of reply should always be transparent.Ive noticed over the last 2 years that caithness.org has become more political,i dont believe that a good thing!.Why..i hear you ask?,well im sure the people who own caithness.org never intended for it to become,dare i say,a politically biased website?Or was that the plan from the start?Every other day,council meetings this,council meetings that,cant we have a seperate website for people who want to further there political aspirations?Or am i being too hasty.Though its good to keep up with local council news,im sure the vast majority of orgers would rather read it elsewhere.The problem i see with wick councillors,they seem to be incapable of attracting inward investment to wick,ie:sustainiable jobs.What about the tesco and the retail park i hear you cry,what about them i say,you need to make money to spend in them in the first place.No jobs.No jobs.No jobs!Point over,over to you guys cheers exwicker

karia
01-Sep-07, 19:19
Hi exwicker,

You are against 'politics' being discussed on the .Org..and then go on to give your political views on Wick councillors!?!:confused

Karia

crayola
01-Sep-07, 19:27
Well, I'm an ex-Thurso lass and it seems to me that Wick has attracted more investment in the last two or three years than in the previous two or three decades. As you say there's the retail park and Tesco but there's also the Pulteneytown heating system and the developments at the harbour which will become a marina, or so I'm told. Don't forget the hundreds of windmills. I know some people would rather forget them but that won't make them go away and I suppose they must bring in some money.

On the other hand, the Glass factory is no more and I'm sure I've forgotten some other businesses that have closed recently, but the balance sounds good to me.

Nicely put, karia.

exwicker
01-Sep-07, 19:28
Im not against politics on the org per say,im just against a conflict of interests!.I doubt theres few councillors in wick who have brought any sustainable jobs to wick,apart from service industries like tesco,argos,etc.Point is,we need manufacturing jobs locally to be able to make money,to spend in supermarkets and the like.Look at orkney islands council,they have there finger in a lot of pies as regards external jobs,why not the same in caithness?

karia
01-Sep-07, 19:28
I was about to add that no-one needs to post an 'open letter' here as the whole Forum is one big 'open letter' but I see you have moved on and started another thread...should we expect a night of this? :roll:

karia

changilass
01-Sep-07, 19:30
Lol Karia, my thoughts exactly

crayola
01-Sep-07, 19:31
Im not against politics on the org per say,im just against a conflict of interests!.I doubt theres few councillors in wick who have brought any sustainable jobs to wick,apart from service industries like tesco,argos,etc.Point is,we need manufacturing jobs locally to be able to make money,to spend in supermarkets and the like.Look at orkney islands council,they have there finger in a lot of pies as regards external jobs,why not the same in caithness?Manufacturing jobs? Are you a time traveller from the 70s?

exwicker
01-Sep-07, 19:35
Manufacturing jobs? Are you a time traveller from the 70s?

So where does the money come from to sustain these large conglomerates?

orkneylass
01-Sep-07, 19:38
perhaps a wild guess might be business profits from running efficient businesses that give people what they want?????

exwicker
01-Sep-07, 19:43
perhaps a wild guess might be business profits from running efficient businesses that give people what they want?????

Very true....as in the case of council funded orkney meats!

orkneylass
01-Sep-07, 19:47
eh????elaborate please

exwicker
01-Sep-07, 19:52
eh????elaborate please

Orkney islands council owns orkney meats,what im saying is,we have no sustainable long term manufacturing jobs in wick,why dosent the local council do some job creation.Coming from wick yourself orkney lass,you know the job situation is dire,thousands of weekers have left wick in search of work,not because they wanted to,they had to,including myself.Take a look round wick,not a lot of buisnesses re-investing id say.

orkneylass
01-Sep-07, 19:57
...and this is not a political point?????

karia
01-Sep-07, 20:02
Surely not orkneylass...he/she despises politics dontya know!;)

Karia

Jeemag_USA
01-Sep-07, 20:06
I am a little confused here, is this thread about the Org, or about politics, if its a complaint about too much politics on the org why are we discussing politics instead of the suggested political bias of the org. I'll be perfectly honest, I haven't noticed any threads relating to local council politics, I must be slipping or not reading enough, by time I haven't noticed then I don't think there can be too many?? Very strange?

orkneylass
01-Sep-07, 20:10
Jeemag - it's not you that sounds confused to me.....

karia
01-Sep-07, 20:17
Jeemag - it's not you that sounds confused to me.....

or me!

Karia

moving along!..........

brokencross
01-Sep-07, 20:25
I think exwicker is not against politics being discussed in the forum per ce, but more complaining about the council news and work being highlighted on the home page which may be construed as being maybe an unfair, biased and unchallenged platform for political views.

Jeemag_USA
01-Sep-07, 20:29
I think exwicker is not against politics being discussed in the forum per ce, but more complaining about the council news and work being highlighted on the home page which may be construed as being maybe an unfair, biased and unchallenged platform for political views.

Thats a sensible explanation. But the way I see it is if this is a public forum for the whole county where anyone can have their say on local issues, then it can't be a biased representation, its a balanced and realistic representation. If the majority of visitors who are from all over the county do not challenge enough, then maybe they see nowt worth challenging or just agree the other way. As it is, its the users here who post the opinion most of the time, not the owners of the website. So shouldn't it be an open letter to the forum members?

Ricco
01-Sep-07, 20:33
I must confess that in most of the social gatherings I take part in the conversation generally hinges around three main topics - the weather, football, Big Brother and politics. (yea, I know.... that's four topics but I don't count BB as a REAL topic). I agree with a number of other orgers - I haven't noticed a disproportion of politics going on.:confused

karia
01-Sep-07, 20:42
Frankly, if someone has a big point to make and is 'genuinely' interested in the answer, they will choose their time..post ONE Thread and ..hang around for the responses....and then..answer them!

Karia

crayola
01-Sep-07, 22:45
Don't scare her away karia. The county needs enthusiastic exiles to come home to create new businesses. You don't need to be able to argue coherently to run a business.

Wait a minute, she is demanding that ASDA should locate in a muddy field near Milton rather than in Thurso where the biggest unexploited market is and she wants the council to facilitate this somehow. I knew it, she's DI Tyler's friend and she lives in the 70s.

karia
01-Sep-07, 23:05
Don't scare her away karia. The county needs enthusiastic exiles to come home to create new businesses. You don't need to be able to argue coherently to run a business.

Wait a minute, she is demanding that ASDA should locate in a muddy field near Milton rather than in Thurso where the biggest unexploited market is and she wants the council to facilitate this somehow. I knew it, she's DI Tyler's friend and she lives in the 70s.

Heeeheee! Nice One Crayola!

Cruel!..but nice![lol]

Karia

Moira
02-Sep-07, 01:18
I must confess that in most of the social gatherings I take part in the conversation generally hinges around three main topics - the weather, football, Big Brother and politics. (yea, I know.... that's four topics but I don't count BB as a REAL topic). I agree with a number of other orgers - I haven't noticed a disproportion of politics going on.:confused

Ricco - Big Brother is a REAL topic - even I know Brian won! ;)

Ex-wicker - are we talking about (1) Caithness, (2) the Caithness.org website/message boards, (3) politics or (4) Orkney Islands Council?

JAWS
02-Sep-07, 06:32
Didn't even know Big Bro had finished let alone who won it. :eek: And no, I'm not joking.

Moira, I'm glad you asked the set of questions, like you I am a little confused about exactly which of those four items the thread is meant to be about.
Perhaps exwicker could clarify the matter mainly so everybody knows what is meant to be being discussed.

The only reason for that suggestion is so we don't have everybody shooting off in different directions and ending up with a complete mish-mash which goes nowhere.
If that happened it would be a shame because there seems to be the making of at least a couple of good threads here, if not more.

golach
02-Sep-07, 09:44
Ricco, like you I discuss a miriade of subjects when in a social gathering, but mainly weather,sport, politics, and familys, if the subject of any of the so called reality TV programmes come up, I tend to switch off, as I do not watch them and I have no interest in any of them. But thats me.:mad: I do not think the CCWS has gone political.

Thumper
02-Sep-07, 10:21
In my opinion I think that the CCWS are doing all they can to allow people to read the info IF they want and not read it if they don't,Nobody is forcing anyone to read anything on this site or any other, they just print the info and if you want to read it thats fine and if you don't want to read it thats fine too.If people are going to get annoyed every time something is printed on the org that they don't like well maybe its time they stopped reading it because at the end of the day the org has always printed things that are of interest to locals whether it is councillor related stuff or other things.People would be just as annoyed if something wasn't printed and they found out through the "grapevine" then the said certain people would probably be up in arms about the site not informing them [disgust] But again thats just my opinion x

dunderheed
02-Sep-07, 12:17
as i see it ,the org is a community website, as political descisions are part of everyday life its obvious that politics will come onto it. during the recent elections i personally didnt see any councillors on here using the site for their own agendas.

exwicker
02-Sep-07, 14:43
Hi guys,sorry i couldnt reply last nite,got called out to work.But im glad i let the debate run,its funny how we can start out with good intentions,remain on topic,and then it transpires into something else!.Thats what i feel like caithness.org has become as regards politics.Lets be honest here,and ill choose my words vey carefully,would any of you guys have voted for someone you dont know as a councillor?...i wouldnt.And how would you get to know about that person?....as a potential councillor.a few of you here see my point,my original point,and i dont believe im far of the mark either.Over to the sensible ones....No malice is intended here either,im just asking that the political slant that caithness org has taken...be removed for the good of all.ps ill reply when i can,im at work at moment.pps i aint female!,and i aint in scotland!

Margaret M.
02-Sep-07, 15:07
I'm not too sure what you are getting at but I do not think Caithness.org is too political or too anything. As others have said, politics are a big part of life so to not discuss them would be silly. People have come to know Bill Fernie through this website -- he provides a wonderful service for Caithness and its people and if, as a result of this site, Bill has become more visible then more power to him! When you and I have our own community website, we can run it as we choose.

exwicker
02-Sep-07, 15:15
I'm not too sure what you are getting at but I do not think Caithness.org is too political or too anything. As others have said, politics are a big part of life so to not discuss them would be silly. People have come to know Bill Fernie through this website -- he provides a wonderful service for Caithness and its people and if, as a result of this site, Bill has become more visible then more power to him! When you and I have our own community website, we can run it as we choose.

My point precisley!,i dont believe that the person you mentioned would ever have got to where he is today,if it wasnt for caithness.org.Was that the intention from the start,to use caithness.org as an insight into the aforementioned person?,in his political quest?.I see a conflict of interests here,with an unfair advantage for the afore mentioned councillor.Havent you notice how political the org has become over the last 2 years?,look at the front pages!No malice is intended here,none,but i definatley think theres a conflict of intrests going on.And the issue needs to be resolved sooner rather than later. regards exwicker

JAWS
02-Sep-07, 15:31
Whatparticular political slant have you got in mind?

Angela
02-Sep-07, 15:39
!No malice is intended here,none,but i definatley think theres a conflict of intrests going on.And the issue needs to be resolved sooner rather than later. regards exwicker

exweeker, can you provide one specific example of the sort of conflict of interest you refer to, not to mention the "unfair advantage" you've spoken of?

It would be a lot easier to debate the point if you could!

I don't now live in Caithness, I have never met any of the Caithness councillors, or have any sort of vested interest in what they do as councillors, but I honestly haven't seen any even potential conflict such as you seem to be talking about.

Of course there will be debate of political matters at local, national and international level on this forum. We'd be a pretty feeble lot if we didn't take some interest in politics!

The front page highlights a wide range of events and occurrences of local interest and I have never noticed any "bias" shown at all. :confused

Please could you tell us exactly what you are referring to that you find biased or unfair?

golach
02-Sep-07, 15:45
My point precisley!,
What is your point precisley, all I have seen so far is that you have some kind of gripe with the owner on this web site, and that he is also a successful councillor.
I and many other who come on to this site, come on because we are ex-pat Kaitnessians or have Kaitness connections and have no vote in Kaitness politics, one reason I rarely post on local issues, but I do have an over all interest in Scottish and UK politics.

singysmum
02-Sep-07, 15:49
As a newcomer (12 months) to the area I wonder if I may comment. I agree with most other comments that others have made in that there doesn't seem to be a disproportionate political bias on the org.
As far as Bill Fernie goes, I can honestly say that I did not see anything to promote himself on the org at the last election but he was the only councillor that made the effort to visit us in person out here in the sticks.
Perhaps that may partly explain his current rating.
Surely politics sdhould have an airing just as much as amy other topic.
Helen

Jeemag_USA
02-Sep-07, 16:12
Ricco - Big Brother is a REAL topic - even I know Brian won! ;)

Ex-wicker - are we talking about (1) Caithness, (2) the Caithness.org website/message boards, (3) politics or (4) Orkney Islands Council?

Moira you forgot (5) Big Brother :lol:

Mr_Me19
02-Sep-07, 21:34
My point precisley!,i dont believe that the person you mentioned would ever have got to where he is today,if it wasnt for caithness.org.

So basically your saying that he doesn't deserve to be in the position he is in now because he made an effort to get there?

Also if you hate the website that much why do you insist on using it? Of course we would be missing a few 'friendly' threads but I dont think people would get too upset if you left us because you dont like the site? Its your own choice?

Thumper
02-Sep-07, 21:45
I think you are being totally unfair to Bill fernie Exwicker, the man has gone out of his way to set up a great community website and has gone on to serve the community as a councillor so I can't see what your problem is?Yes we would vote for somebody we know rather than a stranger but doesn't that help us as in when we do have a porblem Bill is easily identifiable and always around and about so we could easily approach him on the street etc to have our say about whatever it is that is bothering us.I personally wouldn't know most of the other councillors if they came up and bit me on the bum [disgust] I really don't like to judge people without having met them but it seems to me that you have some kind of bugbear about Bill when most of us think he should be commended for his work both on the org and as a councillor.Everyone is entitiled to his or her opinion but I think decorum should come into it at some point :rolleyes:

jsherris
02-Sep-07, 22:17
Exwicker, I am a total outsider... have never been to Caithness, I know only of it through this site.
Originally, we were hoping to move to Caithness, but job offers now mean we're off to Ireland.
However, because of the people on this board, because of this website & it's information - political & non-political, we are planning to visit as soon as we can & then to return again, and again, and again.

As an outsider, there are some parts of the site I don't look at - then again, because I understand how certain parts of our council work, it's also nice to have some sort of comparison.
No, I would never vote for someone in a local election that I didn't know, or at least have some knowledge of... which is why I am on first name terms with my local councillor - it was easy too, I just picked up the phone, met the lady & occasionally now, we even have bingo nights out together!
Yes, I voted for her at the last election - but she doesn't belong to the party I would vote for in a general election - and she knows that too!

Why should Caithness be any different? Why shouldn't someone get involved with their community and go to the lengths of providing one of the best area websites I've ever seen, and then go on to become a councillor?
Councillors are actually on the side of the community - it's their community too, don't forget - if they stuff it up for the people, they're stuffing it up for themselves too.

You carry on, Bill - you're doing a grand job!

Moira
02-Sep-07, 22:51
Didn't even know Big Bro had finished let alone who won it. And no, I'm not joking. <snip>

JAWS - I saw the photo of Brian, the winner of Big Brother in the Press & Journal yesterday. I'm not admitting I watched any of the programmes ;)

My point precisley!,<snip>

Point is - your first post was not precise at all. It's becoming clearer as we go along though. Others here have jumped to Bill Fernie's defence in his role as a Councillor - so I don't need to. The front pages of Caithness.org speak for themselves. I can only guess at the amount of time Bill spends travelling around the County, in his own time, taking photos of every conceivable local event you could care to mention and uploading them for locals/ex-pats alike to browse & enjoy. Oh - and then there are various news items which need to added....and then links added to various other parts of the site... and.... Need I go on? And - yes - I am only guessing at the amount of hard work which goes on behind the scenes here.

You must be viewing a different front page to me exwicker.

Moira you forgot (5) Big Brother

You're right Jeemag - I did. Maybe Bill ....sorry..... Big Brother - will note exweeker's request :lol: BTW - is the British version of BB transmitted in your part of the world?

WeeBurd
02-Sep-07, 23:23
My point precisley!,i dont believe that the person you mentioned would ever have got to where he is today,if it wasnt for caithness.org.Was that the intention from the start,to use caithness.org as an insight into the aforementioned person?,in his political quest?.I see a conflict of interests here,with an unfair advantage for the afore mentioned councillor.Havent you notice how political the org has become over the last 2 years?,look at the front pages!No malice is intended here,none,but i definatley think theres a conflict of intrests going on.And the issue needs to be resolved sooner rather than later. regards exwicker

I'm sorry, did I blink and miss the point at which this site became Wick.org? As a Tenabowlie, my cancellation must have gotten lost in cyberspace. :roll:I suppose if you're implying that Bill Fernie's work on this site directly affected him being elected as a Wick councillor, then I think you're paying a huge dis-service to the voting public (they base their political views purely on what is provided on the .Org, they have no gumption to make up their own minds by reviewing all the other information points out there?), and a huge compliment to the Boy's at the .Org (apparently it's gospel for all Wickers, everyone in the town logs on!).

So, what is the issue here, exWicker? Is it the .Org as a whole? Or is it the forums? Or is it the percieved gullibility of the folk of .Orgers?

The .Org, like the myriad of websites out there, is just that - a website, a tool to provide information to the masses. You can choose to read it, or not. You can choose to believe it, or not. You can choose to agree with it, or not. The choice is 100% yours. If you don't like it, don't go there.

The forums are just that, a sounding ground for peoples thoughts, opinions and questions. Many people enjoying discussing political issues in here, after all politics affects every single one of us. You'll see, from reviewing a selection of threads, that there are a wealth of differing opinions on politics too. Which leads nicely on to...

Do you honestly believe that the people who use this website are so narrow minded, that they only believe what is put in front of them on Caithness.org? Please, give us a bit of credit.:confused