PDA

View Full Version : Hernia problems

teddybear1873
01-Sep-07, 16:06
Not sure if anyone knows the answer here. I'm currently living in Northampton working. Since the last 2-3 weeks i have had a hernia. I made an apppointment with the local doc here and he said the waiting list here is months for an operation. Now this last 3 days the pain has gotten worse and the hernia is prodtruding more but they still wont operate unless my hernia is severe and in strangulation. I have called the NHS and the damn doctors say the same. Does anyone know if its worth my while to come back to Caithness to see if i can get this op ASAP or is it the same scenario up there? Cheers. Hope someone can answer on this one

Cattach
01-Sep-07, 16:22
Not sure if anyone knows the answer here. I'm currently living in Northampton working. Since the last 2-3 weeks i have had a hernia. I made an apppointment with the local doc here and he said the waiting list here is months for an operation. Now this last 3 days the pain has gotten worse and the hernia is prodtruding more but they still wont operate unless my hernia is severe and in strangulation. I have called the NHS and the damn doctors say the same. Does anyone know if its worth my while to come back to Caithness to see if i can get this op ASAP or is it the same scenario up there? Cheers. Hope someone can answer on this one

Got a very successful op in Wick about 4 years ago. Lump appeared end of March, op 28th April! Was very sore and I had to push lump back in by rolling on the floor. Doc was very helpful. Worst bit was shaving, thought nice nurse would have done it for me but had to do it myself!!!

Billy Boy
01-Sep-07, 16:48
My wife had a hernia operation about 2 years ago in wick, she had to wait about 2 or 3 month to get it done, so i guess it really depends how long the waiting lists are at the time.

bekisman
01-Sep-07, 17:04
Three years ago whilst on holiday in England had a hernia, was able to push it back in, so not too much of a problem, actually tried 'gaffer tape' but not much good. However after the holiday came home to Sutherland, saw the Doc on a Monday and the next Monday was in Wick having the op, and, being a bit weird(?) asked for a local so could see what they did, interesting watching two surgeons fiddling about for a hour! not had any problem since - I think the surprising speed of getting the operation was not that it was serious (it wasn't) but maybe a cancellation from someone else?