PDA

View Full Version : Dead Whale

Tugmistress
28-Jul-05, 11:39
For anyone interested the dead whale on Thurso Beach is an Adult Male Pilot whale.

If you are really gruesome will add some pics into my gallery later this afternoon
:evil

SandTiger
28-Jul-05, 14:36
The pix are up now and can be found here - http://www.tugmistress.co.uk/index.php?option=com_ponygallery&Itemid=&func=viewcategory&catid=41

William
28-Jul-05, 16:40
I am guessing that it was dead and floating in the sea before it was washed up

SandTiger
28-Jul-05, 17:03
We're guessing a couple of weeks - Not a fresh kill

Seabird
28-Jul-05, 17:06
Seeing that dead whale reminded me that a lot of dead fish had been washed up on Dunnet beach earlier this week.
Does anyone have any information on that incident or have they seen any other incident on any other beaches in the area this week.
I know there have been incidents in (i think) Spain.

Many thanks for any info.

SandTiger
28-Jul-05, 17:23
We may have an idea - Are you aware of what colour the fish were?

katarina
28-Jul-05, 17:35
did they glow in the dark?

Gus
28-Jul-05, 19:05
Can anyone tell me what happens to whale carcasses when they're washed up?

SandTiger
28-Jul-05, 19:14
The last 3 whales were dumped at Seattter Landfile - I think it's prettier to bury them on the beach as the skeleton can work its way up to the surface over time when they are clean of flesh, but that can be a bit of a broken ankle trap

http://www.saburchill.com/album/antarctica/023.html

Tugmistress
28-Jul-05, 21:18
well i must say i was impressed, went into town earlier tonight and the carcass has already been removed :D
was expecting it to be there for about 2 or 3 days from what people had told us about carcasses on the beach before.
Well done to however removed it :D

SandTiger
28-Jul-05, 21:20
Another potential tourist attraction lost then :roll: :p

Gus
29-Jul-05, 01:52
Thanks SandTiger.

You're right, it IS prettier, and I don't even want to think about how much it must stink around Seater!