PDA

View Full Version : Closure Of Helmsdale Petrol Station

angela5
28-Aug-07, 14:11
Almost 50 miles of the Highlands' major trunk route will be a fuel desert from next week as a "lifeline" village filling station closes.

The closure on Sunday of A.R. McLeod and Sons garage at Helmsdale in Sutherland means motorists will be unable to fill their cars between Brora and Spittal, south of Thurso on the A9.

Motorists heading towards Wick on the A99 will have to wait until Thrumster, just outside Wick, to refuel.

Village residents face a lengthy round-trip to keep their vehicles topped up.

Its owner claims the business is no longer viable after BP withdrew support several years ago and with the increasing number of supermarket forecourts.:confused

Tugmistress
28-Aug-07, 16:01
To be honest every time i have gone past it has looked like it was closed anyway :confused and no it wasn't always in the stupid o'clock time of day ;)

weeksider
28-Aug-07, 16:20
Very Sad to see this place shut, used it a few times after hours when off south @ Football matches/meetings.

Tristan
28-Aug-07, 17:26
If I am not mistaken, we have fewer petrol stations now than in 1912.

Stargazer
28-Aug-07, 18:17
It was not so long ago when driving north from Helmsale there were numerous petrol stations. One about 3 miles south of Dunbeath, Dunbeath Hotel, by the campsite north of Dunbeath, Latheron, Lybster, Thrumster(still there). Wick had numerous stations. Then there was a bit of a fuel desert untill Aukengill.

COACHMAN
28-Aug-07, 18:29
There will be a few more closing on the road north from inverness within the next year[evil]

Tony
31-Aug-07, 20:56
The unfortunate closure of the Helmsdale pumps but the owner partly blamed the closure on supermarket fuel pumps.:confused I hadn't realized Helmsdale had a supermarket with pumps near bye.

Dadie
31-Aug-07, 21:20
People are finding it cheaper to fill up at tescos in wick or at morrisons at alness when they do their shopping than using the pumps in helmsdale

karia
31-Aug-07, 22:03
Thanks dadie & Tony,

It helps to know when 'services ' are discontinued..especially for those of us traveling long distances and relying on memory.

Karia

Rheghead
01-Sep-07, 01:19
The problem with Helmsdale petrol station was that it was more or less an old style (fuel/oil, car accessories etc) retail outlet, it hadn't diversified into selling other items so it died a death.

JAWS
01-Sep-07, 01:29
It's always a good "get out" to blame others.

theone
01-Sep-07, 02:22
The "NO SELF SERVICE" sign in the window always made me smile.

I regularly travel to Aberdeen and Glasgow and that is the only "petrol station" where I've ever seen it.

Fran
01-Sep-07, 02:44
The petrol station at Helmsdale is not closing now as it has been taken opver by the comunity.

percy toboggan
01-Sep-07, 14:26
The petrol station at Helmsdale is not closing now as it has been taken opver by the comunity.

Good luck to them!

Jeemag_USA
01-Sep-07, 15:15

Good thing too, never mind the travellers, what about the people in helmsdale, if your running low on fuel and you have to go to Brora to fill up, cost a few pennies just to get there and back. Hope its a success for them.

elamanya
01-Sep-07, 16:05
see when you think back a few years there were three places to get petrol in dunbeath, one in latheron , one in lybster , now its wick to helmsdale , and it was very near to being brora, yup good luck to them hope it works