PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh Councillors want to wear robes!

Yok Finney
31-Aug-07, 08:09
I "slightly s'periour" Edinburgh they drive to keep up wi the Frasers o Bollomeal-CarMiles v. the Teffeta Joneses o Hoi Pollock. So it's Rags to Robes bocht fae the Sexfam Shoap?; we dinna think so. Wha sal be Judge? Wha sal be Chancellor? Lyk haund-loom weivers afore the might o th'Industrial Revolution they'll soon be luckie to hae a sark on their backs far less robes. For thae upstart SNiPpers hae usurped the White Sheep o Technology. Judge Judy is their New Dolly. Habilled in threads donated fae th'Estate o Muriel Spark - (cloned an fabricaited i mainland China) - these Superbots ettle to rattle thro the 5 year backalog in Scottish Courts and try aathing fae no pying a parking ticket to running Perthshire Cocaine and a puckle "gangland" shootans -- by Christmas!

Ver'ly it will be Christmas, Noo Year and Wednesday aa i the same day as spuik doon i the Crit. bar them Auld Aib'deen dockats.

All it tuik was the soond o wan platinum haund clappand.

© Yok Finney & Harry Harrison & Cathal I Tec Convertos

WeeBurd
31-Aug-07, 20:44
Now, in an attempt to be a good and dedicated Orger, I popped the above post into an on-line translater.... it spat it back out and told me to stop taking the mick...:roll:.

jsherris
31-Aug-07, 20:47
Now, in an attempt to be a good and dedicated Orger, I popped the above post into an on-line translater.... it spat it back out and told me to stop taking the mick....

Oh, Weeburd.... I didn't get it.... But I thought it was just me being a cockney!! [lol][lol]

WeeBurd
31-Aug-07, 20:49
Oh, Weeburd.... I didn't get it.... But I thought it was just me being a cockney!!

Bloomin' cockerneee's![lol];)

Nah, I think it's supposed to be Doric is it?

footie chick
31-Aug-07, 20:53
Bloomin' cockerneee's!

Thank goodness its not just me that couldn't understand the above :lol:

Angela
31-Aug-07, 20:53
Bloomin' cockerneee's!

I think so, I've always found the Doric pretty impenetrable though, WeeBurd, it makes no sense whatsoever to this EdinbOrger! :eek: [lol]

jsherris
31-Aug-07, 20:56
You have all made me really laugh now!
I honestly thought you'd all understand the post & I decided to just close the window... creep away quietly, don't comment on a scottish topic that I don't even understand.......

And NOW I find that neither do you lot understand it! [lol]

I feel SO much better now!
Thanks peeps xx

WeeBurd
31-Aug-07, 21:04
I think so, I've always found the Doric pretty impenetrable though, WeeBurd, it makes no sense whatsoever to this EdinbOrger!

Always makes me think of Colin Campbell's Local Radio "A stoat hes guin' maud in Maud mart...":lol:.

Which leads to: where is Colin Campbell these days? Does he still do the Local Radio sketches? I used to love them as a youngster, and they still make me laugh out loud 20-odd years later...

golach
31-Aug-07, 21:08
Living in Nairn, I am led to believe, and I loved his Local Radio tapes too

theone
01-Sep-07, 02:35
I know this is meant to be taken in good spirit, but.........this post reminded me of the scottish paliament website.

The website has a language selector(Arabic, Chinese, BSL etc).

Great idea, accessibility for all.

It's the "Scots language" bit that annoyed me. Here goes......

Walcome til the Scottish Pairlament wabsite
We want tae mak siccar that as mony folk as can is able tae find oot aboot whit the Scottish Pairlament dis and whit wey it warks. We hae producit information anent the Pairlament in a reenge o different leids tae help ye tae find oot mair.

This section o wir wabsite introduces ye til the information that is tae haun on wir wabsite in Scots.

Thoughts?

WeeBurd
01-Sep-07, 10:25
We want tae mak siccar that as mony folk as can is able tae find oot aboot whit the Scottish Pairlament dis and whit wey it warks. We hae producit information anent the Pairlament in a reenge o different leids tae help ye tae find oot mair.

This section o wir wabsite introduces ye til the information that is tae haun on wir wabsite in Scots.

Thoughts?

One word: painful.;)

WeeBurd
01-Sep-07, 11:03
It came across as very Shetlandic to me. I'm a Fifer, hame to Adam Smith and the Loup Garou. Scots is a language that builds ships. In my case Brazil, though Vietnam was considered too. Traditional craft skills are exactly what's required to build in modern "structured foam" composites. e.g. Burt Rutan's SpaceShip One.

English as spoken in England is hardly even a dialect being mostly slang which is the language of criminals. American Scientific English is a good international means of communication as Latin was in a previous age.

Ho, hum.... I find written English is the best method of communication via the web - of course, this being CCWS, the odd bit of Caithness dialect is occasionally thrown into the pot, however it's usually within context. :roll:

Bobinovich
01-Sep-07, 16:52
I know this is meant to be taken in good spirit, but.........this post reminded me of the scottish paliament website.

The website has a language selector(Arabic, Chinese, BSL etc).

Great idea, accessibility for all.

It's the "Scots language" bit that annoyed me. Here goes......

Thoughts?

Ye gods I thought you were taking the mick but, sure enough, it's there. As an incomer I'm appalled 'cos it tries to portray the varied and lilting Scots accents with one which looks like it came from a Broons annual [disgust]

northener
01-Sep-07, 17:18
"It came across as very Shetlandic to me."

Nope, cant see that at all, it sounds nothing like anyone I know up there.

"I'm a Fifer, hame to Adam Smith and the Loup Garou. Scots is a language that builds ships. In my case Brazil, though Vietnam was considered too. Traditional craft skills are exactly what's required to build in modern "structured foam" composites. e.g. Burt Rutan's SpaceShip One"

What? I'm sorry but you're not making sense:eek:

"English as spoken in England is hardly even a dialect being mostly slang which is the language of criminals. American Scientific English is a good international means of communication as Latin was in a previous age."

Hmmmmm... There are more dialects in England than you can shake a stick at. The 'English' that you refer to was standardised at the advent of print in Britain by the printers. So it spread from thereon - that's the media for you:D. This does not mean that there are no longer any dialects in England. Go and speak to a Cumbrian and you'll find a dialect that is very distinct from, say, Somerset. And I'm not talking about accent here.

Slang is a generic term - you mean 'Cant' to be precise if referring to the language of the underworld.

Could you explain what 'American Scientific English' is, please? it's not a term I've come across before.

crayola
02-Sep-07, 00:42
You'll find Yok Finney on the Scotsman and Herald websites. He submits comments on many articles and has strong opinions on catamarans and marine energy. There's not a lot more to say about him really. He's as boring as the rest of us. No, he's boring and pretentious at the same time. What a combination. Zzzzzzzzzzz

JAWS
02-Sep-07, 07:11
I suspect the problem with trying to change most accents and dialects into the written word will always create problems. The main reason is that they are, of necessity, reliant of variations of sounds and the way certain letters are pronounced.
It's very much the story of the posh Southerner visiting a hotel in the North of England. On asking if he could have a double room he ended up with a double rum. (I think that would be called a large rum here but I could be wrong) I'm not having a dig at anybody's accent with that story it's just to indicate the same word being pronounced differently with different accents.

I've worked my way though Yok Finney's post, translated it as best I could into language I can understand, and I'm still confused what it's about, or should that be aboot? :D

percy toboggan
02-Sep-07, 08:24
....English as spoken in England is hardly even a dialect being mostly slang which is the language of criminals. American Scientific English is a good international means of communication as Latin was in a previous age.

Pretentious codswallop. In any dialect you choose.

WeeBurd
02-Sep-07, 10:52
Living in Nairn, I am led to believe, and I loved his Local Radio tapes too

Thanks for that Golach, I seem to remember him doing a "gig" at Lieurary Hall, but I'm sure I was still a touch on the young side so never went... I wish I had gone!:D

golach
02-Sep-07, 11:57
English as spoken in England is hardly even a dialect being mostly slang which is the language of criminals. American Scientific English is a good international means of communication as Latin was in a previous age.
Yok, can I just ask what are you on about? What has the Scots Language got to do with the Hung Cooncil in Auld Reekie wanting to introduce robes costing over £3K each to make them stand out from the Hoy Poloy ( a female Liberal cooncilors own words ) got to do with the way we speak.

wifie
04-Sep-07, 00:55
Bang on the nose Percy!

Lolabelle
04-Sep-07, 03:34
I "slightly s'periour" Edinburgh they drive to keep up wi the Frasers o Bollomeal-CarMiles v. the Teffeta Joneses o Hoi Pollock. So it's Rags to Robes bocht fae the Sexfam Shoap?; we dinna think so. Wha sal be Judge? Wha sal be Chancellor? Lyk haund-loom weivers afore the might o th'Industrial Revolution they'll soon be luckie to hae a sark on their backs far less robes. For thae upstart SNiPpers hae usurped the White Sheep o Technology. Judge Judy is their New Dolly. Habilled in threads donated fae th'Estate o Muriel Spark - (cloned an fabricaited i mainland China) - these Superbots ettle to rattle thro the 5 year backalog in Scottish Courts and try aathing fae no pying a parking ticket to running Perthshire Cocaine and a puckle "gangland" shootans -- by Christmas!

Ver'ly it will be Christmas, Noo Year and Wednesday aa i the same day as spuik doon i the Crit. bar them Auld Aib'deen dockats.

All it tuik was the soond o wan platinum haund clappand.

© Yok Finney & Harry Harrison & Cathal I Tec Convertos

Now, in an attempt to be a good and dedicated Orger, I popped the above post into an on-line translater.... it spat it back out and told me to stop taking the mick...:roll:.

You have all made me really laugh now!
I honestly thought you'd all understand the post & I decided to just close the window... creep away quietly, don't comment on a scottish topic that I don't even understand.......

And NOW I find that neither do you lot understand it! [lol]

I feel SO much better now!
Thanks peeps xx

I am so glad that it's not just me, I was a bit worried for a minute there, but if you scots don't get it, phew,what a relief.
Oh and I wasn't game to ask and confirm my ignorance.