PDA

View Full Version : ship wreck at dounreay

jockyplunck
30-Aug-07, 21:30
hi does any one rember the name of the ship that was wrecked of dounreay some time in the 70s. she shed her load of timber at the time and a lot of locals were salvaging it for their own use.

lynne duncan
30-Aug-07, 22:05
will ask my dad he has a scrapbook of local boats, will reply tomorrow

Thorfin
30-Aug-07, 22:15
There was no ship wreck that I remember then but I think a load of timber was washed of the deck of a ship up about Tounge and it was washed ashore at Dounreay and the American Base. I think it was approx 1979 - 1980

Moby
30-Aug-07, 23:52
I remember that. My friend's dad and my dad were in the coastguard and were involved in the incident. They took us down to the shore to see it a couple of days later. I was fairly young so can't remember the name of the ship - I do remember loads of tins without labels on floating around.

Betty
31-Aug-07, 01:13
Maybe this will help.

http://www.caithness.org/caithnessfieldclub/bulletins/1984/october/wrecks_of_pentland_firth.htm

jockyplunck
01-Sep-07, 17:27
hi you are probably right. you wouldn,t happen to now the name of the ship?

Sairheed
01-Sep-07, 17:37
I can recall two ship wrecks off Dounrey in the time I was there (1969 to 2004).

Both were fishing trawlers - one founded on the rocks and broke up in a geo, just off the eastern perimeter of the site and was probably in the mid seventies- the second was, as I recall, the case of a boat steaming straight up on the shelved shoreline just to the west of DFR, probably late eighties.

elamanya
01-Sep-07, 18:16
i can mind working on the new shooting range on the dounreay site when all the timber was being washed up on the beaches i would guess it was 1981, the new range was down near the beach so we could see loads of the timber , sure it was said at the time it was washed off some ship dont think it was a wreck