PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Food in Wick

Andrew C
30-Aug-07, 20:59
Hi folks, as I've said a hundred times, I'm new to Wick.

Now, I'm partial to some chinese food now and again and I am wondering what is the best. We've tried Lucky 888 next to the post office....was ok, wondering if there are better ones.

Here is the challenge....name the best takeaway and the best thing on the menu!

MagicalTrevor
30-Aug-07, 21:24
I think all the chineses round here taste pretty similar. Saying that though I have a hunch that the one on Dempster street is the best.

Favourite meal: Mongolia Beef and Fried Rice.

Spicy !

johno
30-Aug-07, 21:35
know for a fact that the castletown one is def the best. :cool:

Andrew C
30-Aug-07, 21:36

will it not be cold by the time I get it to Wick though? :D

karia
30-Aug-07, 21:41

swift blast in the microwave?:confused

Karia

Tristan
30-Aug-07, 21:43

I think they are the same owners as Dempster street. If not Dempster street one of the others in Wick

johno
30-Aug-07, 21:46
possibly but as karia says the a quick blast in the micro wave.
i mean if you were travelling through anyway it would be well worth it to call into their shop its just of the main st behind the playpark. :cool:

Andrew C
30-Aug-07, 21:48
will give it a go (and a blast if necessary!) What's good from there?

AC

johno
30-Aug-07, 21:48
I think they are the same owners as Dempster street. If not Dempster street one of the others in Wick
naw the castletown folk own the dempster st shop & lease it to the chinese there.:roll:

Venture
30-Aug-07, 21:49
Have to say the Dragon House is my favourite. Things always made fresh and really quick service for carry outs. Freebies if you spend over 20 quid.

Andrew C
30-Aug-07, 21:51
Have to say the Dragon House is my favourite. Things always made fresh and really quick service for carry outs. Freebies if you spend over 20 quid.

We got some free curried spring rolls from the Lucky 888 when we spent over a tenner...they were nice.

Thumper
30-Aug-07, 21:51
I have tried the Castletown one a few times and no complaints!Had free chicken wings twice and i didn't spend anywhere near £20 to get a freebie :) x

madmax
30-Aug-07, 22:04
The best chinese in wick is the one at the far end of the precinct, at the same end as the barbers. Sisi the girl in there is really friendly and food so so good.

hotrod4
31-Aug-07, 10:35
I've tried all the Wick ones and have to admit that the one in Castletown is the best.
The reason I say that is that they are "consistent" with their food.
Have found that if you go to the dragon House in Wick it is maybe 70% of the time good the other 30% not so good!!

The true test of a good takeaway is consistently serving great food which I find Castletown to be the best.
You never know you might get a good one but id rather hedge my bets and go for Castletown!!.(stays hot till you get back to wick, just stick it at your feet in the car and put the heating on full!!! he he)

Ash
31-Aug-07, 10:37
Eighty Eighty in Thurso, i know its far to go for a takeaway but oh my god its gorgeous food! yummy :D

connieb19
31-Aug-07, 10:48
Does the Chinese in Wick or Thurso still do a buffet meal?

Ash
31-Aug-07, 10:50
hey the one charlie chan(beside the old post office) in thurso does, they are really good!
hope this helps

good prices aswell:D

bigjjuk
31-Aug-07, 10:52
mine is the dragon house, you get free curry rolls and prawn crakers every time and if you spend more, the more freebies you get.

Chicken curry and chips mmmmmmm

connieb19
31-Aug-07, 10:55
hey the one charlie chan(beside the old post office) in thurso does, they are really good!
hope this helps

good prices aswell:DThanks Ash, do you know if it's only certain days or nights.

Ash
31-Aug-07, 10:56
Thanks Ash, do you know if it's only certain days or nights.

i think its sundays, but i could check as walk that way most days

connieb19
31-Aug-07, 10:58
i think its sundays, but i could check as walk that way most days
Thanks, that would be great. :)

Cattach
31-Aug-07, 11:29
Do not know about Chinese food in Wick but 88 in Thurso is superb. Great food, big helpings at a very good price and the rice is included. Their Peking Spare Ribs are the best I have tasted anywhere andall the special dishes are really special.

cemmts
31-Aug-07, 13:14
We live in wick and always go to Castletown "they moved there from dempster street" also its never cold by the time we get home. very friendly family always stop in the street to speak or say hello.

telfordstar
31-Aug-07, 13:22
i like the chinese beside the wick p.o and really like the free curried rolls you get with your meal mmmmm fav meal has to be a prawn cocktail and either deep fried shredded chicken/beef with fried rice but am also partial to a good old chips and gravy:lol:

mccaugm
31-Aug-07, 15:12

If thats the one next to the Camps Bar...its brilliant. Thurso Chinese are not great....

ashaw1
31-Aug-07, 16:05
The Dempster Street one does freebies too, curry rolls, bottles of juice etc. To be honest i think if they recognise you as being a regular you will get the spring rolls free. Never had a bad meal from them yet!

Cattach
31-Aug-07, 16:08
If thats the one next to the Camps Bar...its brilliant. Thurso Chinese are not great....

Surely you never been to 88 in Thurso!!! or maybe you were very unlucky.

Ash
31-Aug-07, 17:48

im the same! 88 are fab!

love there food!

footie chick
31-Aug-07, 19:14
Don't really like chinese food but LUV deep fried seaweed. For me chinese up here always leaves a horrible taste in the roof of your mouth or maybe its just me :eek:

chocolatechip
31-Aug-07, 19:36
Hey the best chinese food is the New Oriental in the presinct in wick is lovely and the girl in there stops and says hello if she sees you in the street. And when we have been in there we have got free juice and curry rolls and samosa's:D

scotsboy
31-Aug-07, 19:41
The very mention of Chinese food and Wick makes me laugh! I once had the pleasure of the company of a couple of Wickers on a work trip to the Aberdeen area - they spoke the whole trip about stopping in Inverness on the way back as "there was a fantastic Chinkies" there..............and we stopped in Inverness and the Chinkies to be fair was good.............but the Wickers ordered...........Chicken Maryland and Streak!!!........but the Chips and gravy was great......so they said:)

footie chick
31-Aug-07, 19:58
Streak!!!........

What like is a Streak? :lol:
I have to laugh at a friend who went to an indian and orderd scampi and chips [lol]

blondscot
31-Aug-07, 22:43
The best chinese is Raymond in Castletown and the second best is Nicky in Thurso( up from the butchers in princes street) they are both well worth going to!! To many good things on menu to pick just one!!

Fran
01-Sep-07, 02:48
Hi folks, as I've said a hundred times, I'm new to Wick.

Now, I'm partial to some chinese food now and again and I am wondering what is the best. We've tried Lucky 888 next to the post office....was ok, wondering if there are better ones.

Here is the challenge....name the best takeaway and the best thing on the menu!

Welcome to Wick Andrew and family.

Camel Spider
01-Sep-07, 05:33
I do miss the Sweet and Sour Chicken from the Chinese Takeaway next to the Camps.

*Hunger Pangs Strike* .. *sigh*

zappster
01-Sep-07, 06:53
My favourite chinese is definately the dragon house
i usually have their hot & sour soup as a hangover cure on a sunday night its ace..or salt & chilli squid is quite nice as well.

Cattach
01-Sep-07, 13:13
The very mention of Chinese food and Wick makes me laugh! I once had the pleasure of the company of a couple of Wickers on a work trip to the Aberdeen area - they spoke the whole trip about stopping in Inverness on the way back as "there was a fantastic Chinkies" there..............and we stopped in Inverness and the Chinkies to be fair was good.............but the Wickers ordered...........Chicken Maryland and Streak!!!........but the Chips and gravy was great......so they said:)

Your story reminds me of a true story regarding Chinese food.
A cousin of mine's husband was working in China and she went for a fairly long visit. On her return to 'well not too far from here' she said upon being asked how she got on, ' The trip was great but the chinese food is not nearly as good as it is in the XXXX (local) chinese restaurant'.
Just goes to show that these chinese meals we get in UK do not resemble the real thing. I am told that Chop Suey was actualy invented in San Fransisco.

mccaugm
28-Sep-07, 19:21
Yeah I have but it still doesnt do the stuff I like...I love deep fried tofu or deep fried seaweed. A rarity around here!

Tom Cornwall
01-Oct-07, 09:22
If thats the one next to the Camps Bar...its brilliant. ....
we went to that one in September, and agree wholeheartedly..we got masses to eat...

Dadie
01-Oct-07, 16:02
when i was pregnant with Lauren i had to have charlie chans prawn toasts and crispy fried cabbage at least once a week!

Dadie
01-Oct-07, 16:11
i have made spag bols for dinner tonight but I NOW NEED CHINESE TAKEAWAY*sigh* hate it when you read food orientated threads and then want some !

floyed
01-Oct-07, 16:18
I like the dempster street takeaway its very nice. I also like the chinese beside where the old cobbles where they are lovely and the girl that serves is very nice:D