PDA

View Full Version : Government anti smoking campaign

sam
30-Aug-07, 20:21
http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/pictures/galleries/newsid_3945000/3945437.stm

Does anyone think that the government are going to far showing such hard hitting pictures as these on cigarette packets?

As a ex - smoker i dont think so, but i'm curious as to what others think :confused

changilass
30-Aug-07, 20:25
I think its a total waste of time and money. They showed on the news that most folks don't know what is written in the warnings now, and, after the initial shock of the pics it will be the same with them, folks just won't notice them.

connieb19
30-Aug-07, 20:31
Some folk enjoy smoking, so for these people I don't think it will make a difference but I suppose it might make some people who want to stop feel more guilty and so then more determined.
I wonder how much the price of a packet of fags would have to go up to to before people would have to stop?

johno
30-Aug-07, 20:31
im not sure about this, im an ex smoker and if i did still smoke i think that i would really think twice about continuing, these pics are bound to hit home to some people. i think the gov,mnt are really aiming at the young, think thats the target. well anyway i hope it hits home.

Andrew C
30-Aug-07, 20:40
I think anything at all that will help people think twice about smoking is a good thing.

Ricco
30-Aug-07, 20:44
I agree with Changilass - absolute waste of time and money. With all the information, education and health warnings that they are bombarded with if they still want to smoke good luck to them. As long as they do it out of my space and don't expect free medical treatment. I firmly believe in natural selection and if someone is so blooming daft that they continue to smoke then perhaps it is time that their clock stopped ticking. Harsh I know but these people just don't listen to sound advice and reason, do they?

BTW - I am an ex smoker of 25+ years and glad of it.:cool:

Lolabelle
30-Aug-07, 20:46
Over here there is an ad campaign that has a shop assistand holding out 2 packs of smokes and saying "would you like cancer of gangrene?" And on the packs similar photo's to the one on the packs over there. When I smoked it wouldn't have stopped me, nothing did. I loved it. But there is a big anti drug campaign going on at the moment, about talking to your kids about drugs. The gov have sent a booklet out to every home in Aus. I was talking to my nephew 8 about this and I asked him what he thought about drugs, and he said he would never do drugs he had seen the ads about what it does to your body and life. There are also tv ads about kids having punch ups with parents, being dead in a morgue and lying in thier own spew etc etc... the voice over to these graphic images is that of a child talking about growing up to be a teacher or a footy player....
So it does have some kind of impact, if not on the current users and abusers, but maybe stearing future dabblers away from it, as we know, it doesn't take much to go from trying something to being addicted.

Highland Laddie
30-Aug-07, 21:09
I agree with Changilass - absolute waste of time and money. With all the information, education and health warnings that they are bombarded with if they still want to smoke good luck to them. As long as they do it out of my space and don't expect free medical treatment. I firmly believe in natural selection and if someone is so blooming daft that they continue to smoke then perhaps it is time that their clock stopped ticking. Harsh I know but these people just don't listen to sound advice and reason, do they?

I believe more people in Britain die from alcohol abuse then from smoking, do we deny them medical treatment also ????

Tristan
30-Aug-07, 21:23
We live in a visual society so the visual impact may help. It may also be an added incentive for parents to quit. It is bad enough the harm smoking around children can cause but now parents would have to make sure the packs were well hidden so that their children don't see the pictures.

botheed
30-Aug-07, 21:33
i stopped smoking 15 years ago, but man did i love my fags
no amount of goverment propaganda would make me stop unless i wanted to.

Tristan
30-Aug-07, 21:47
You have a good point. You have to want to quit. That reminds me of an old Steven King short story. A man signed up with a company to quit and once he joined they guaranteed results in a typical Steven King way. What got him through it, and made him able to quit was his love for his family and the fact he didn't want to see them harmed.

changilass
30-Aug-07, 21:49
Sounds like a book I should be reading Tristan, can you remember the name of it

corgiman
30-Aug-07, 21:52
I watched it on tv recently and it said it was part of nightmares and dreamscapes i think.

Tristan
30-Aug-07, 21:59
Sounds like a book I should be reading Tristan, can you remember the name of it

Just did a quick search. The story is called Quitters inc and I read it in a collection called Night Shift
It was made into a short movie in a collection called Cat's Eyes, I think, but it was not as good. The movie focused on the horror side but the book focused on how happy everyone one was after quiting even with all the horror that went along to get there.
Quit if you can, it is well worth it.

Moira
30-Aug-07, 22:02
I don't believe that shock tactics, alone, work well. With education in health topics & support being widely available across the country I'd like to think that this latest Government campaign is re-enforcing, visually, the message given out with the smoking ban in Scotland (and indeed before that).

I don't see this as a stand-alone, useless effort so I am, surprisingly, at odds with both Changilass & Ricco here.

jsherris
30-Aug-07, 22:16
If these ads are aimed at the serious smoker, who has been partaking of the habit for a great many years, I don't think they will work at all.
We see a great deal of horrific images about a wide range of topics - personally I think we become quite immune to such things.
How many people can watch TV all night & then remember what adverts they saw on the TV? Sometimes, when you see something all the time, you stop seeing it... that make sense?
This is just going to help take the shock tactic away, I'm afraid.
Each campaign gets more graphic as time goes on & they still aren't working properly - so what will they try next?
I'm a smoker & at the moment, I'm also overweight - however, I CAN give up smoking - I have before, and I CAN lose weight - but I also recognise that my head has to be 'in the right place' for me to succeed.
When that time comes again, I shall embrace it - but as a smoker or a non-smoker, I have never and will never tell anyone else that they should / shouldn't do it.
That is entirely up to them.

One thing though..... where are the government taxing us now that the incoming amount of fag tax has reduced??

Billy Boy
30-Aug-07, 22:28
I think the pictures are a waste of time & money.
My solution would be to put the price of a packet of cigarette's up to at least £10 per packet that way the bigger percentage could go towards a government fund for smoking related ilnesses, so effectively the smoker would be paying for future related illnesses due to smoking or research into smoking related ilnesses
Just the same as those who work pay tax to help keep those who dont work.
Thats my opinion anyway.

Lolabelle
30-Aug-07, 22:32
If they really wanted to stop or slow down smoking, they could just take them off the market.

karia
30-Aug-07, 23:17
Hi Folks,

I quit ten years ago as a 'wedding present' to my non smoking husband.

No amount of scary stuff did anything but make me reach for a fag...and I was at least a 30/40 a day girl while at Uni'...as were my mates!

A decade on, and looking at my contemporaries who still smoke..:eek:!

......you cant buy it back girls!

Karia

JAWS
31-Aug-07, 00:04
The only thing that stopped me smoking was when damage had already been done. My last cigarette was put out as I was being wheeled through the front doors of Raigmore several years ago.

Had that not happened I would still have been smoking? Without a doubt. Would the Government's "Terrify Them into Stopping" campaign have made any difference? Not in the least. Do I regret ever having started smoking? Not in the least.
Having said that, if somebody asked me if smoking was a good idea I would have to reply, "Not in the least!"

And for all those who thing that recent Government actions have been a wonderful idea I would ask them to consider what comes next.
Alcohol is already well on the way down the same route, starting with the whispering campaign about the health damage it does. Pointing out the adverse effects it has on others. Talking about restrictions on advertising. Suggesting punative taxes to make people stop.

Now the same methods are being hinted at about foods containing fats, salt, sugar and various other "harmful" things in foods.

Nonsense, it will never happen? Well, it's not that long ago they said the same about Smoking. "Don't be silly, it could never happen!" Well it could and it has.
I'm off to make a coffee with lots of sugar in it. I'm in desperate need of a strong sweet caffeine fix before they ban that too!

golach
31-Aug-07, 00:47
Stopping smoking is the easiest thing in the world...coz I have done it...I smoked 100grms of Old Holburn a week, and because of pains in my ankle went to my Doc, he said..."Stop Smoking..Keep Walking".....I said "Whit" he said I would lose a leg if I did not...hardening of my atreries.....I got help with the patches....I have never smoked for 6 years now...best thing I ever did...I do not smell of smoke...the house does not smell of smoke.
I found it easy...I am not saying all will.

Moira
31-Aug-07, 01:03
Im not sure that you're all addressing Sam's original post here. Your personal experiences with stopping smoking are great - but, with respect,these are mainly historical.

In view of the recent smoking ban in Scotland, is the most recent campaign, with truthful, yet disturbing images of the consequences of smoking not relevant, in view of improved awareness/support services available.

Sam's op was :-

Does anyone think that the government are going to far showing such hard hitting pictures as these on cigarette packets?

As a ex - smoker i dont think so, but i'm curious as to what others think ?

theone
31-Aug-07, 04:56

What is "free" medical treatment? I pay £284 national insurance insurance a month. Can I get some free?

How about not allowing treatment to overweight people?

JAWS
31-Aug-07, 06:43
Sorry Moira, I should have made myself clearer. The point I was making was that, even knowing what I know now and having stopped, had I still been smoking then the warnings on the packets, the "frightening" pictures, the anti-smoking TV adverts and all the other gimmicks the Government have come up with would not now, and never did whilst I was smoking, make the slightest difference.

There are many programmes on TV giving detailed pictures and descriptions of car accidents and horrific plane crashes. Would that make me think twice about getting in a car or on a plane? I would never give it a moments thought so why should the anti-smoking information be any different?

Certainly for me, all the horror stories in the world made no difference. It was only when things changed from the fact that damage might happen to the fact that it was actially happening that any thought of stopping even crossed my mind. And in that, I don't think I am all that different to many smokers and am certainly not unique.

Julia
31-Aug-07, 09:13
Well having looked at the pictures myself I'm quite sure any smoker would be less inclined to leave their fags lying around, children may not appreciate the pictures and adults certainly will not appreciate the children's questions re the pictures, 'why's that man got a big lump on his neck'?, 'will you look like that too'?, 'are you going to die too because you smoke'?

Part of it may be out-of-sight-out-of-mind? Not trying to be smart but maybe they should also depict the effects to an unborn child on a pack!

The pictures are bound to have an affect, doubling the price of cigarettes would also help!

The 'how to live longer' TV program states that quitting smoking will add 7 years to your life, that should be incentive enough for anyone, hmm let me see - 7 more years with my kids, grandkids etc.. you can't put a price on that.

golach
31-Aug-07, 09:27
Moira, like Jaws, maybe I did not make myself clear. What I was inferring, was that the shock tactics my Doctor used on me worked for me and I successfully stopped smoking. I agree it will not work for everyone, I suppose secretly I really knew I wanted to stop, just needed a reason.
If these latest Government pictorial warnings, manage to stop even a small percentage of the nation then in my opinion they are a good thing.

corgiman
31-Aug-07, 09:35
The pictures are bound to have an affect, doubling the price of cigarettes would also help!

They have already doubled the price and more when I started a pack was £1.50 and has it made me stop? no. That said I do often wonder what would happen if all smokers gave up overnight, where would all the extra money come from that we pay in tax on our cigarettes come from then. I smoke because I enjoy it, I don't go out, I dont drink, the pictures will not make a single bit of difference to me. If and when I stop smoking it will be because I have decided to not because I am bullied into it. Smokers get more flak than druggies these days it's unbelievable.

Angela
31-Aug-07, 09:58
Moira, like Jaws, maybe I did not make myself clear. What I was inferring, was that the shock tactics my Doctor used on me worked for me and I successfully stopped smoking. reason.

Golach, do you think perhaps that was because the stark choice you faced was put to you as an individual by your doctor?

My feeling is that that would be much more likely to shock you into action than anything you could read on a fag packet, or anywhere else for that matter, because we always have a tendency to think "that doesn't really apply to me".

I'm very glad you took your doctor's advice, btw! :D

sam
31-Aug-07, 10:02
I think that if the picture's can even work as a deterrent to stop kids from starting smoking in the first place then surely that would be a good thing.
I also believe it might make a small majority of people stop and think about what they would do if they ended up with lung cancer, tumers etc and what it would do to their families especially the thought of their kids haveing to see them suffer like that.
I used to smoke but when i decided to start a family I decided it was only right that i should stop.
It amaze's me all these folk who say "oh it wont make a difference to me, it wont make me think of stopping", The government are thinking of your health aswell after all they stand to lose in tax's if folk stop.

I also believe that folk think " that wont happen to me" why not think "why wouldnt that happen to me".

meandhim
31-Aug-07, 10:17
Hey orgers,

Just to let you know of a great way to stop smoking.

Read Allen Carr's Easyway to Stop Smoking (there are also others, but this is the one ive read).

I've smoked for 25 years (about 2/3rds of my life), and have been going to the docs for the last year with the most terrible sinusitus. Last visit doc advised to give up smoking as cig smoke affecting sinuses. Was really annoyed at him, as we smokers get, but decided to google sinusitus and all the information just confirmed what he had said.

Downloaded Allen Carr's e-book and read it from end to end, stopped smoking there and then!! Amazing, painless, no withdrawals.

TRY IT!!!!!

You can pick it up on ebay - and am sure local bookstores would maybe stock it or definately get it in for you.

Honestly, this is the best book ive ever read and i wish i had done years ago.

TELL YOUR SMOKING FRIENDS AS WELL!!!!!

connieb19
31-Aug-07, 10:33
Didn't Allan Carr die from lung cancer?

sam
31-Aug-07, 10:35
They have already doubled the price and more when I started a pack was £1.50 and has it made me stop? no. That said I do often wonder what would happen if all smokers gave up overnight, where would all the extra money come from that we pay in tax on our cigarettes come from then. I smoke because I enjoy it, I don't go out, I dont drink, the pictures will not make a single bit of difference to me. If and when I stop smoking it will be because I have decided to not because I am bullied into it. Smokers get more flak than druggies these days it's unbelievable.

I'm surprised you smoke when you are a childminder lol:confused

Ash
31-Aug-07, 10:40
the pictures are horrible!

i dont know if they will stop people from smoking tho

seems like a long shot:confused

squidge
31-Aug-07, 10:40
I dont think the horror pictures make any difference - i think that kids are too far removed from what they see as ailments of old age.

I DO think that showing the comparison in faces of thirty year olds and forty year olds who smoke and those who dont might make a difference to girls. IM not a gorgeous creature lol but see my skin compared to the skin of friends of mine who smoke or have smoked heavily and my skin at 43 is almost wrinkle free. Although im a plump girl and i always say a well stuffed cushion doesnt crumple i actually beleive this is to do with never smoking and not living in a smoke filled house. In fact it is said that smokers in their 40s have as many wrinkles as non smokers in their 60s. comparison photos my put lassies off smoking for vanity reasons lol

corgiman
31-Aug-07, 11:14
I'm surprised you smoke when you are a childminder lol:confused
my wife is a childminder, and when nobody smokes in the house as it is against the law to do so when providing a service, why would it be such a surprise.

Tristan
31-Aug-07, 11:20
I dont think the horror pictures make any difference - i think that kids are too far removed from what they see as ailments of old age.

I DO think that showing the comparison in faces of thirty year olds and forty year olds who smoke and those who dont might make a difference to girls. IM not a gorgeous creature lol but see my skin compared to the skin of friends of mine who smoke or have smoked heavily and my skin at 43 is almost wrinkle free. Although im a plump girl and i always say a well stuffed cushion doesnt crumple i actually beleive this is to do with never smoking and not living in a smoke filled house. In fact it is said that smokers in their 40s have as many wrinkles as non smokers in their 60s. comparison photos my put lassies off smoking for vanity reasons lol

There was a good ad that showed the effect of smoking on men (hint the effect is further south)

connieb19
31-Aug-07, 11:21
There was a good ad that showed the effect of smoking on men (hint the effect is further south)
OMG!!! not wrinkles surely? :eek::lol:

sam
31-Aug-07, 11:37
my wife is a childminder, and when nobody smokes in the house as it is against the law to do so when providing a service, why would it be such a surprise.

I just dont think i would want someone watching my kids who smells of cigarette smoke, but that is my preference.

corgiman
31-Aug-07, 11:46
and you are absolutely entitled to that preference.

squidge
31-Aug-07, 11:47
OMG!!! not wrinkles surely? :eek::lol:

I know its not as shocking as some of the things but its more likely to hit home to a teeenage girl who is a bit focused on her appearance.... maybe anyway lol.....

Iknwo that my eldest son who smokes - neither his dad nor i smoked ever - hates being told he smells but thinks he is immortal lol and as his nanna is still smoking at 71 and as fit as a flea he thinks he will have her constitution lol.

sam
31-Aug-07, 11:47
I know i am lol

connieb19
31-Aug-07, 11:57
I know its not as shocking as some of the things but its more likely to hit home to a teeenage girl who is a bit focused on her appearance.... maybe anyway lol.....

Iknwo that my eldest son who smokes - neither his dad nor i smoked ever - hates being told he smells but thinks he is immortal lol and as his nanna is still smoking at 71 and as fit as a flea he thinks he will have her constitution lol.I know what you mean and I totally agree, I think if teenage girls were more aware of what it does to your skin they might think twice. I believe if smokers had any idea how bad they smell they would probably be disgusted.
BUT...I was replying to Tristans post lol.

Angela
31-Aug-07, 12:04
I think that if the picture's can even work as a deterrent to stop kids from starting smoking in the first place then surely that would be a good thing.

I also believe that folk think " that wont happen to me" why not think "why wouldnt that happen to me".

I totally agree with you there, sam.

However, I do think that younger people have very little concept of their own mortality - I know when I was 20, I couldn't really imagine being even 40! :roll:

I may have been very immature, but I was far more concerned with the present than the future at that age. By 20, I had already stopped smoking, but that was because it played merry hell with my sinuses, it wasn't thinking about what would happen when I was older that made me stop.

squidge
31-Aug-07, 12:51
BUT...I was replying to Tristans post lol.

Lol

Its last dayitis connie - just ignore me

Tugmistress
31-Aug-07, 17:01
No, the pictures wont make a difference to me personally.
IF i want to stop smoking, I will stop in my own time when i am in the right frame of mind.
As corgiman stated earlier in the thread, being a smoker seems to be worse than a drug addict these days [evil]

sam
31-Aug-07, 17:42
IF i want to stop smoking, I will stop in my own time when i am in the right frame of mind.
As corgiman stated earlier in the thread, being a smoker seems to be worse than a drug addict these days [evil]

Maybe smokers are seen as worse that drug users ( except for pot smokers ) or drinkers because of passive smoking.......... Just a thought, i may be wrong.

Camel Spider
02-Sep-07, 02:32

What she said.

I get seriously fed up with people telling me that I should stop smoking, I know its bad for me but its MY body and I will smoke if I want to. Are they going to put photo's of diseased livers on bottles of alcohol to deter drinkers ??, smokers are treated as lepers nowadays but does anyone stop to think just how much hard cash we are putting in the Treasury coffers through our so called "disgusting habit" ??, and yes I expect to get treated if I suffer illness. I have worked and paid taxes since I was 16 so why shouldnt I ??

I dont see half the fuss about Heroin addicts getting free methadone on the taxpayers .. Isnt that worse ??

Whew .. I feel much better now .. Im off for a smoke .. ;)

JAWS
02-Sep-07, 05:48
Just looked at the pics. If they are supposed to be a shock tactic then whoever came up with them obviously doesn't watch Sci Fi on TV.
There's worse on Star Trek most nights and on numerous other TV programmes during the day.

I don't know where they got the lungs on the left hand picture but they must be from a very young person who has never lived in even a medium sized town. The ones on the right certainly are not an unusual colour.
The syringe? What's that supposed to do, convince youngsters not to inject nicotine?
The teeth? All the kids will do is look round, check most people's teeth, including smokers and ex-smokers, and conclude somebody should have bought a toothbrush.
The throat? I doubt many kids will conclude that they will end up like that, I know I certainly wouldn't have when I was that age.

The whole thing strikes me as being as sensible as the idea of frog-marching drunken yobs to the nearest cash-machine to pay on the spot fines. Just how out of touch with reality are these jokers?

Tony
02-Sep-07, 21:41
What she said.

I get seriously fed up with people telling me that I should stop smoking, I know its bad for me but its MY body and I will smoke if I want to. Are they going to put photo's of diseased livers on bottles of alcohol to deter drinkers ??, smokers are treated as lepers nowadays but does anyone stop to think just how much hard cash we are putting in the Treasury coffers through our so called "disgusting habit" ??, and yes I expect to get treated if I suffer illness. I have worked and paid taxes since I was 16 so why shouldnt I ??

I dont see half the fuss about Heroin addicts getting free methadone on the taxpayers .. Isnt that worse ??

Whew .. I feel much better now .. Im off for a smoke .. ;)

Quite right.
I think that this government may actually be in breach of the human rights of smokers by making them stand on the street outside pubs. Certain establishments should have a duty to provide areas for smokers. I also believe the taxing of tobacco products and fuel in this country are way too high compared with other European countries.
If I can afford to go on holiday to another European member state country I can bring back as much tobacco products as I like as long as for my own use. If I can't afford to go on holiday I don't have the opportunity to purchase these products at reasonable price if desired and can't even order online again in breach as creating a two tier system. I can hear you say if I can't afford it I shouldn't smoke but that is not the point.
Smokers pay more into the NHS than others and are entitled to health care the same as anybody else. If while on holiday I become ill and go to Hospital I may obtain a substantial bill although you should have insurance cover. Tourists who come over here don't bother as a free for all attitude exists and may only come over for treatment on the NHS as a result. We should be charging them also.

Camel Spider
02-Sep-07, 22:25
Quite right.
I think that this government may actually be in breach of the human rights of smokers by making them stand on the street outside pubs. Certain establishments should have a duty to provide areas for smokers. I also believe the taxing of tobacco products and fuel in this country are way too high compared with other European countries.
If I can afford to go on holiday to another European member state country I can bring back as much tobacco products as I like as long as for my own use. If I can't afford to go on holiday I don't have the opportunity to purchase these products at reasonable price if desired and can't even order online again in breach as creating a two tier system. I can hear you say if I can't afford it I shouldn't smoke but that is not the point.
Smokers pay more into the NHS than others and are entitled to health care the same as anybody else. If while on holiday I become ill and go to Hospital I may obtain a substantial bill although you should have insurance cover. Tourists who come over here don't bother as a free for all attitude exists and may only come over for treatment on the NHS as a result. We should be charging them also.

I dont know if its in breach of our Human Rights to make us stand outside, I dont mind too much as I can *ahem* admire the passing females .. ;), and indeed let them admire my manly physique .. :roll: I do know though there is a hotel not that far from Aberdeen where the owner spent 12 grand (apparently) on a custom made smoking shelter with Plasma Tv's and warm air heaters .. it looks great !!

I have just been berated by a non smoker who agrees with the opinion that Smokers should pay for any treatment of a smoking related illness .. he is a keen Hill Climber so I suggested that as he has no NEED to go up in the hills if he incurs an injury he should pay for any treatment needed .. couldnt that be classed as self inflicted ??

Tristan
03-Sep-07, 12:11
I dont know if its in breach of our Human Rights to make us stand outside, I dont mind too much as I can *ahem* admire the passing females .. ;), and indeed let them admire my manly physique .. :roll: I do know though there is a hotel not that far from Aberdeen where the owner spent 12 grand (apparently) on a custom made smoking shelter with Plasma Tv's and warm air heaters .. it looks great !!

I have just been berated by a non smoker who agrees with the opinion that Smokers should pay for any treatment of a smoking related illness .. he is a keen Hill Climber so I suggested that as he has no NEED to go up in the hills if he incurs an injury he should pay for any treatment needed .. couldn't that be classed as self inflicted ??

How can it be in breach of so called "Human Rights"? No one is forcing you to smoke or to go outside to do so.

As for medical treatment it seems wrong to me that indulging in a legal form of slow suicide habit should be penalised directly for smoking related illnesses. I don't think there is an easy way to adjust health payments depending on activity people do, but having said that I see nothing wrong with taxing cigarettes, alcohol, high fat ready meals etc to help pay a small portion of the extra cost to the health care system. That indirect system does have a level of fairness to it.
The example you gave of a hill-walker/mountain climber is an interesting one because they will pay a higher premium (as a smoker would) for life insurance.

Tristan
09-Sep-07, 19:32
Found this series of anti-smoking ads http://www.planetvids.com/html/Quit-Smoking-Ads.html harder hitting than the current batch and may do some good.

Rheghead
09-Sep-07, 21:28
Smokers pay more into the NHS than others and are entitled to health care the same as anybody else.

I don't know about that one. Smoking is more prevalent amongst the C2 -E socio-economic groups, therefore it may be that smokers contribute less tax via income tax. As for smokers that are on benefits, huh![evil]

j4bberw0ck
09-Sep-07, 22:24
I don't know about that one. Smoking is more prevalent amongst the C2 -E socio-economic groups, therefore it may be that smokers contribute less tax via income tax.

Rheggers, it's not income tax. It's tobacco duty; tobacco duty raises £8.3 billion a year, smoking related diseases cost the NHS £1.7 billion a year. So where's the excess going? A bit like road tax and petrol tax.........

As for smokers on benefits, where's the difference between paying tobacco duty out of benefits, and paying tax on benefits?

Rheghead
09-Sep-07, 23:38
Rheggers, it's not income tax. It's tobacco duty; tobacco duty raises £8.3 billion a year, smoking related diseases cost the NHS £1.7 billion a year. So where's the excess going? A bit like road tax and petrol tax.........

As for smokers on benefits, where's the difference between paying tobacco duty out of benefits, and paying tax on benefits?

Tobacco duty doesn't pay for the NHS, all taxes, go into the treasury (a financial melting pot) and it pays for things.

JAWS
10-Sep-07, 00:00
Found this series of anti-smoking ads http://www.planetvids.com/html/Quit-Smoking-Ads.html harder hitting than the current batch and may do some good.Well, it provided a few seconds entertainment. I rather enjoyed the artificial fat sequence.

cuddlepop
11-Sep-07, 09:49
It wont make any difference to my other half,ciggies keep him sane,or so he say's.
You could price them out his reach
You could put more horrific pictures on the packets
You could ban him in all public places and even his own car.
..and he'd still smoke:eek:

People have to stop when they want to.I've managed to help him with encouragement to cut down to 10 but we're stuck now.

nanoo
11-Sep-07, 11:25
I don't think pictures on the packets will make any difference, when they started to put the basic, Warning, smoking can seriously damage you health, notice on the packets, it did'nt stop me. I think you have to want to stop smoking before it can really happen for you. In January 1995 i decided i wanted to stop and it was,nt easy and i did.nt use patches or anything but i stuck with it and i smoked 20/30 a day. Here we are 12years and 8months later and i wonder what i ever started for in the first place. If you really make up your mind to do it, nothing can stop you.;)

Whitewater
12-Sep-07, 00:49
Some entertaining posts here. Thanks Jaws.

I used to smoke, had my first fag at 13 or 14 years old. When I was that age smoking was fashionable and I enjoyed it. I smoked 20/30 a day until my daughter was born ( I was 35 years old then). I stopped the day she was born, she is now 30. It was difficult, I had cigarettes in my jacket pocket for 3 or 4 weeks before I finally had the courage to throw them I away. I'm lucky it doesn't bother me now.

I had an uncle whom had never seen smoking and one day when I was visiting him he pulled out a pipe and began to smoke. When I asked him why, he told me he had been stopped for 32 years and he had been "gasping" every day for a smoke, and he couldn't stand it any longer. I hope that doesn't happen to me. I have great sympathy for people who struggle to stop smoking, I know how difficult it is and like "Jaws" the warnings or photos would have made no difference to me in my smoking days.

To all you smokers out there STOP for your own good, the government puts the pictures on the packets and increases the price regularly, but they do not want you to stop, they earn for too much revenue for them ever to consider it seriously.

To the person who said that forcing smokers out doors was an infringement of their human rights, I don't think so, do you ever consider the human rights of the non smokers in your company when you are puffing away.

Camel Spider
12-Sep-07, 02:16
I was outisde a pub the other day and was berated by a woman for smoking near her children. We were standing outside and she just felt that we were endangering her health as well as her children, the children in question were teenagers. Considering we were in the open air and there was a strong wind blowing as she WALKED PAST us I thought she was out of line.

It just goes to show that Smokers seem to be fair game to anyone these days.

Both her and her children were no strangers to a fish supper so she was in no position to be giving out health advice, I would have pointed this out to her but it would have spoiled her little moment.