PDA

View Full Version : problem with homebase

elamanya
30-Aug-07, 12:21
has any one else encountered the problem we have with homebase at the moment, eight weeks ago we went in and ordered a new bathroom , spa bath, units , a complete bathroom in fact , filled in all the paper work took out a store card ,spent a hell of a lot of money and was told we would get a phone call in 4 to 6 weeks , no trouble with that .... first catch after a week some one phoned and told us we should insure our store card for fifteen quid a month .. WE WERE NOT INFORMED OF THIS IN STORE ... next catch after eight weeks no calls nothing so we went back to speak to them in store , they checked the order and said they were waiting on customer, when we asked why they said we must have been phoned and they couldnt get us,mmmmm we have caller display we told them and we checked the phone every night as we were now getting sorta impatient , so they rang the company from the shop after about half a hour we got a answer seems like because we ordered a lot of stuff and some thing might have been out of stock they were waiting to get it before delivering .. it would have been nice to get a call to tell us what was going on but no not a thing ..gave them to this friday to get a answer if not were cancelling the lot .. so beware when your buying from them

icekah
30-Aug-07, 14:01
i know my mum ordered a bathroom from them last year and had to wait about 2 months longer than she was first told, and when the shower came there was no instructions with it on how to fit it.
i have another friend who also waited months longer than was first told

jsherris
30-Aug-07, 14:04
Elamanya,

some one phoned and told us we should insure our store card for fifteen quid a month .. WE WERE NOT INFORMED OF THIS IN STORE ...

Have you checked your existing card protection schemes at all?

Sometimes, when you take on a new card, your details are given out to private insurers, who then chase you to get new business - If you have, say a Barclaycard & you have protection there, it might be worth reading the small print - quite often a card insurance will cover ALL cards in your possession.

It's just a thought - I took on a Mothercare card when Gail was expecting Leah - took on an insurance scheme & a few months later, realised that we were already insured on another card of Andy's - mad! But it all adds up & doing a little bit of reading now could actually save you money.

Good luck with the bathroom!

candyfloss
30-Aug-07, 15:01
We had a carry on with Homebase too, ordered a shower unit were told it would be about 6-8 weeks, heard nothing so we gave them a phone. Every time we got through to someone they gave us another number to phone.So we ended up with about 5 different numbers.They said one of the parts were out of stock, yes it would have been nice if they let us know. [disgust] Finally they gave us a date for deliverly, i stayed in all day and it never arrived [disgust] it finally got here 2 days after the date they had given. Don't think we'll be ordering anything from them ever again.

Tristan
30-Aug-07, 16:07
I am not sure why you would need credit card insurance. If things are that financially unstable that you might need the insurance, you probably shouldn't be putting things on credit.

jsherris
30-Aug-07, 16:27
I am not sure why you would need credit card insurance. If things are that financially unstable that you might need the insurance, you probably shouldn't be putting things on credit.

Tristan, I think (as I remember) that the standard insurance covers you for redundancy, losing your job, losing the cards & someone else using them... faulty goods or goods that are returned, that sort of thing.
Apparently, ours are now all part & parcel of our contents insurance & always have been, so no need for these 'stealth' insurances any more!

elamanya
30-Aug-07, 16:50
tristran ..... things are fine money wise just had a massive pay rise at work so no problem there just decided to take them up on there 9 months interest free deal , little did i think it meant it took 9 months to get the goods..
the insurance on the card covers all sorts , sickness , fraud etc etc , but yes were covered for that for with a seperate policy ,

Highland Laddie
30-Aug-07, 19:53
Just goes to show how different things happen to different people,

I've bought numerous items out of Homebase,
fitted kitchen, bathroom suite, Dinning room table and chairs, garden shed etc, all items that had to be ordered, and never had any problems at all.

I just wonder for every person who has had a problem, how many satisfied customers there have been.

Tristan
30-Aug-07, 20:51
tristran ..... things are fine money wise just had a massive pay rise at work so no problem there just decided to take them up on there 9 months interest free deal , little did i think it meant it took 9 months to get the goods..
the insurance on the card covers all sorts , sickness , fraud etc etc , but yes were covered for that for with a seperate policy ,

Things like the interest free deal are always good (provided you remember to pay it off on time). I might be wrong but other than sickness and redundancy I think you are already covered with a credit card for things like it being lost, stolen or fraud.

Tristan
30-Aug-07, 20:56
Just goes to show how different things happen to different people,

I've bought numerous items out of Homebase,
fitted kitchen, bathroom suite, Dinning room table and chairs, garden shed etc, all items that had to be ordered, and never had any problems at all.

I just wonder for every person who has had a problem, how many satisfied customers there have been.

I think you are right there. All stores have their ups and downs and delays do happen. The interesting thing about this thread is some of the biggest complaints seem to be down to communication. Communication is the key to good customer service and and should be kept in mind by all people dealing with customers.

elamanya
30-Aug-07, 20:57
yes tristan we pay a one of payment every year and that covers all our cards , and the interest free will be ok if we get the stuff by then lol

Bill Fernie
31-Aug-07, 09:37
I spotted the words "Store Card" in the first posting.

For anyone who does not have the knowledge they should read the item at http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/credit-and-loans/article.html?in_article_id=419755&in_page_id=9

Make up your own mind but really think about how much you might be paying off on a store card. Ask yourself a simple question like. Do I know the total cost compared to the total cost on say a bank loan or even a credit card? If you do not then don't take one out.

If you do not know about interest rates and how they add up you are almost signing a blank cheque to the lender.

Store Cards are very expensive ways to borrow money and cheaper alternatives are available. Store Cards may be easy to take out and may be presented on the spot. Take longer to compare rates and you will save a lot.

They used to talk about "tick" and the "never never". For the very young Never Never meant you would never be done paying as many folk found they borrowed again near the end of the payment period. Store Cards may be the next nearest modern equivalent.

The words of song come to mind Never on a Sunday a Monday a Tuesday etc etc.

If anyone is in doubt then why not ask the collective org brain to check the interest rates before signing up for any Store Cards, Credit Cards Bank loans. There are web sites that compare interest rates so check ing one of these is also very easy to do.

If you shop around for groceries then there is even more point in shopping around for credit no matter what name it has Bank loan, Credit Card and especially Store Card and no matter whose big brand name is on it.

My simple tips -
Never sign up for credit in a store without going home and checking it al over very quickly
Never sign up for crediot in your own home when asked by a sales person calling cold or otherwise until you have discussed with a relative and or friend and checked the interest charges very carefully.
Always say "NO" to any form of credit until you have taken time to work out and check to see if there is a cheaper alternative.
Ask yourself "Do I really need this item or can I wait and save up for it." Cash is usually cheaper for most larger items compared to paying it on credit and in some cases there may be discounts if you ask.
Interest free credit offers are worth considering if available for a few months But you must make sure they are paid on time as large charges are usually incurred for missing payment deadlines.

There are many more things to consider in different circumstances but the point is to take time and think about it and usally say NO to store cards no matter who is offering them. Remember that people pushing them are may be on commissions and bonuses to get folk signed up to them.

A few Store Card Rates can be seen at http://www.moneyfacts.co.uk/cards/bestbuys/cards_store.aspx

Credit Card Interest Rates can be seen at http://www.moneysupermarket.com/cards/credit_card.asp

Article about Store Card Rates at http://www.thriftyscot.co.uk/Finance-News/052007/store-cards-must-warn-of-high-rates.html

There are plenty more if you Google

egregory
31-Aug-07, 12:28
Yes we had exactly the same problem with delivery times, we cancelled in the end. Homebase are part of Argos, have you ever ordered from them, everything we have ordered takes forever to arrive.

elamanya
31-Aug-07, 13:34
surprise surprise ... two phone calls this morning one from homebase in wick the other from the carriers wanting to deliver on the 11th 12th or 14th of september , as this is two days after i go back to work , and the wife will be working for the two weeks im away i said i would ring them back and sort another date once i spoke to the wife .... when i rang back the girl i spoke to said it was being deliverd on the 7th of sept , promised faithfully... any gamblers out there wanna give me odds lol

Thumper
31-Aug-07, 13:45
I think most of the big retailers give us the runaround nowadays its almost as though they think we should be grateful they have allowed us to spend money in their store [disgust] I had a problem with MFI when I bought built in wardrobes from them and they sent the wrong size cornices even though they had the sizes of the wardrobe,then when they arrived they were cracked!took ages to sort out and not even a sorry for the trouble.Had a prob with tesco direct when they were delivering a dishwasher too it arrived 2 weeks after the confirmed delivery date! x

Margaret M.
31-Aug-07, 13:47
I have had more than one problem with Homebase and I'm only there for a few weeks every year.

Great advice on the credit cards, Bill. I use either a British Airways or Continental Airlines credit card for everything I buy, including groceries, so I can get the frequent flyer miles but I always pay the balance in full each month. The interest rates charged on credit cards are outrageous, particularly when the rates on savings accounts, etc., are so low.