PDA

View Full Version : To sleep...perchance to dream!

karia
29-Aug-07, 19:38
Evening Folks,

Some people have big epic colourful dreams which they remember all too easily next day and can have difficulty 'shaking off'.

Others have little memory of their dreams or claim not to have them at all.

Which category do you fall into?

If you do dream, would you choose not to? Or do you think it is an important part of the brain's way of processing events?

Karia

NickInTheNorth
29-Aug-07, 19:41
I very rarely dream - or at least very rarely am I aware of having dreamt. I would love to dream more, as when I do I find it is a very interesting experience.

Thumper
29-Aug-07, 19:47
Hi Karia, I dream lots and remember a lot of them the next day.Sometimes they seem so real that I have difficulty "shaking them off" which can be hard if it was a bad dream.I do think that dreaming is important for our brains to "process" information.

Anne x
29-Aug-07, 19:48
Evening Folks,

Some people have big epic colourful dreams which they remember all too easily next day and can have difficulty 'shaking off'.

Others have little memory of their dreams or claim not to have them at all.

Which category do you fall into?

If you do dream, would you choose not to? Or do you think it is an important part of the brain's way of processing events?

Karia

Karia latter part !!! processing events no matter how old if its in your sub conscience it inevitably comes to the fore sooner or later ie dreams stress etc
I have some good dreams but characters are a little mixed up that is from different parts of my life be it good or bad :confused

Angela
29-Aug-07, 19:50
Hi Karia, I dream lots and remember a lot of them the next day.Sometimes they seem so real that I have difficulty "shaking them off" which can be hard if it was a bad dream.I do think that dreaming is important for our brains to "process" information.

I'm just the same, thumper. Occasionally I have a lovely dream that I just don't want to wake up from at all :D but more often than not I have bad dreams that I find hard to shake off - I try to tell myself they must be doing me some good, at some level...., but I would like to understand them better:confused

Dadie
29-Aug-07, 19:52
i just wish i get to sleep at the moment we are all suffering with TEETHING ..Lauren with the pain and us with the noise but when i do get a good sleep i can have some pretty weird dreams.. i also have been known to talk and walk in my sleep too but i cant remember anything about them when i do!

percy toboggan
29-Aug-07, 19:53
Strangely I often dream of stressful situations within my work. However, my work is almost stress free. I tend to let traffic concerns and tight spots wash over me. I have an excellent record safety wise and rarely get myself into a hole with the truck. When I do my first instruction to myself is 'don't get theeself into a lather about it'
Odd ?

Ash
29-Aug-07, 19:57
my dreams are sometimes crazy! it depends on how tired i am, if im exhausted i tend to sleep walk, dream ive seen a spider and start screaming then other half asks me next day and i cant remember! crazy i know :lol:[lol]

Anne x
29-Aug-07, 20:00
Angela they are doing good :) be it happy or sad

Dadie
29-Aug-07, 20:02
yup ash the spiders and falling dreams are not good..
i have also woken up my hubby screaming..
waking up in the dogs bed is not good either you feel yuck all day even after a shower..

brokencross
29-Aug-07, 20:02
I was going to make this post about dreams but you have beaten me to it.

I had a very vivid dream the other night........
I was in hospital and the fire alarm went off at midnight (don't ask me how or why I remember the exact time), we were all evacuated into the car park while the "fire" was investigated.
We were out in the cold car park for hours and we were all moaning as to why it was taking so long to check things out. At 0600 (time again??) we were allowed back in to our beds.

When I woke up in real life at 0630, the dream was so vivid, I was in a foul temper for having been "kept up all night".
I was really grumpy all day and extremely tired as if I hadn't slept the night before.

It was so spooky.

Fluff
29-Aug-07, 20:11
My dreams tend to be quite vivid when i first wake, but they soon fade.

I had a weird one the other week. It felt like it went on all night too, and was one of those ones that was so real, when i woke up i wasnt sure if i was awake!
In my dream my boyfriend cheated on me etc..
when i woke up i gave him a smack, he was quite confused! lol

dunderheed
29-Aug-07, 20:12
i dream on a regular basis and remeber them, the other night i dremt that i was snoring really loudly and hersel battered me with a hairbrush.
turns out it wasnt a dream but there was no hairbrush involved

anneoctober
29-Aug-07, 20:15
yes, I dream and in colour ! I remember almost all my dreams, I have woken up sobbing and my hubby wondering what's going on, nine times out of ten, it's due to bereavement ( in the dreams I hasten to add).
My hubby talks in his sleep and it's usually about a problem at work, he talks his way through from start to finish and lo and behold in the morning he's got it sussed :eek:

corgiman
29-Aug-07, 21:00
I dont really dream but my wife is awful, she often wakes crying and upset the worst was a dream about the house being on fire and she kept wakening upset and every time she went back to sleep it continued through the night until she finally got up at a godawful hour as she couldn't bear the dream anymore :eek: she says most dreams are a curse and they often unsettle her all day.

karia
29-Aug-07, 21:10
Hi Folks,

As Angela has said ...sometimes you have a lovely dream that you don't want to let go of..and it allows you to revisit special moments and that is priceless.

Sometimes dreams are so detailed, so scary, and not so warm.:eek:

No escaping them though!

They are a gift, or a punishment...from yourself!

Be kind to your dreams....they keep you afloat!

Karia

karia
29-Aug-07, 21:15
I dont really dream but my wife is awful, she often wakes crying and upset the worst was a dream about the house being on fire and she kept wakening upset and every time she went back to sleep it continued through the night until she finally got up at a godawful hour as she couldn't bear the dream anymore :eek: she says most dreams are a curse and they often unsettle her all day.

Oh Corgiman,

I've pm'd you

Karia

corgiman
29-Aug-07, 21:20
didn't get it :confused

Bobinovich
29-Aug-07, 21:37
My hubby talks in his sleep and it's usually about a problem at work, he talks his way through from start to finish and lo and behold in the morning he's got it sussed :eek:

I hope he gets paid overtime rates then [lol]!

I dream but rarely remember them, whereas Mrs Bob frequently recalls hers. Trust me I've had a few kicks and slaps too so I must have been bad boy on occasions!

karia
29-Aug-07, 21:44
didn't get it :confused

should be with you by now...!

If not, please let me know as this is far from a 'trivial' lifestyle issue and I am in a position to do something about it!

Karia

corgiman
29-Aug-07, 21:47
got it, pm'd you back did you get it?

helenwyler
29-Aug-07, 21:47
The dreams I remember are vividly colourful, often very disturbing, but not scary.

As soon as I wake up they begin to lose sense and coherence, so that sometimes cannot really even say what happened in them.

I have two classic anxiety dreams which recur once every few years.

One is at my primary school - I discover I have no clothes on:eek:!!

The other is at university - I discover I have exams in a few days and haven't read about 20 German texts:(!!

karia
29-Aug-07, 22:06
Hi Helen,

Oh yes!...I do the 'haven't been to class and the exams are next week' one!:eek:

It is all the more strange as my last 'proper job' was as an 'Examinations Invigilator'[lol]!

karia

karia
29-Aug-07, 22:08
Yes Corgiman!

Got it!

Hope this helps.

Karia

highlander
29-Aug-07, 22:31
I have two kinds of dreams, the nice ones are when i waken early hours of morning to nip to the loo, and always say to myself "that was a great dream, now lets get back to sleep and see what else happens" lol
Now the bad ones are i dream of a person i know, who have maybe never talked to for donkeys years, then within a few weeks i have heard they have died, very very scary!!

golach
29-Aug-07, 22:37
I have two kinds of dreams, the nice ones are when i waken early hours of morning to nip to the loo, and always say to myself "that was a great dream, now lets get back to sleep and see what else happens" lol
Now the bad ones are i dream of a person i know, who have maybe never talked to for donkeys years, then within a few weeks i have heard they have died, very very scary!!
Highlander, please dinna dream about me, or any o my pals on the .Org, well no for a while[lol]

Lolabelle
29-Aug-07, 23:14
When Dave and I were first married I used to have dreams that he was having affairs with girls I worked with, (he had never met them). I would wake him up sobbing and never like the girls again! [lol]
More recently when Dave goes to work in the very early hours, 1am or 2am, I tend to have very fitful sleep if I go back to bed, and have often dreamt that I could hear someone coming in the back door and walking toward the bedroom, I would try to call out or get up but nothing would happen, I couldn't move or speak. It was quite frightening at the time. Haven't had one for quite some time though.

scorrie
29-Aug-07, 23:21
I dream every night, in colour, to varying degrees. Sometimes I have small snippets and other times it seems to run for hours on the same "stream", almost like a movie. There are good and bad dreams, I am rarely upset by the bad ones and can usually rationalise all dreams in the morning, linking them to things I have had on my mind fairly recently. I often dream about being back at school but am always aware that I shouldn't be there. Sometimes I am aware that I am dreaming and can force myself awake. I did that on one occasion where I was dreaming about a telephone ringing and I could not get it to stop. When I woke, my wife was snoring like a bull rhinoceros and I was finally able to "answer the phone" with a gentle shake of her arm.

Overall I have to say that I love dreams, sometimes they are simply spectacular and who wouldn't enjoy the only chance you would ever get to kick George Bush in the goolies?

As the lyrics of REM's song Get Up say:-

"Dreams, they complicate my life (Dreams they complement my life)"

Anne x
30-Aug-07, 00:25
good post Karia really interesting for a change !! keep it up

Ken401
30-Aug-07, 03:47
When Dave and I were first married I used to have dreams that he was having affairs with girls I worked with, (he had never met them). I would wake him up sobbing and never like the girls again! [lol]

My lovely wife Lolabelle is a nutter! :Razz

Thumper
30-Aug-07, 09:00
I have one dream that always comes back and I think it must be when I think that life has in some way gone bad for me cos in the dream I am always back living in my first house with my first hubby and believe me that was not a good time in my life :roll: cant decided if it means that life could be worse and I could still be in that bad place so be happy with what I have now or if it means if you dont change things your life will end up like this again :( x

jsherris
30-Aug-07, 09:09
I've not had a dream that I can remember properly for a while now - which maybe is a good thing, I'm not sure.
But in the past, I've dreamt about being in bed naked with hubby (innocently tho!)... then realising that our bedroom is actually in a shop window in a busy shopping centre & I need a wee!
Then I went through a phase of having one recurring nightmare where I feel my teeth starting to crunch, & all of a sudden I have a mouthful of broken glass... the glass is like safety glass, the small square chunks & no matter how long I cough it out, I can never seem to get it all out, it just keeps coming.

The worse dream I've ever had experience of, was Andy running down the stairs in blind panic, stark naked and trying to pull all the plugs out of the sockets & take all the lamps out!
I was actually awake, it was HIM dreaming - he was moving furniture to get to sockets & I finally got him back up to bed as gently as I could.... Good job the girls had all gone to bed - the sight of him running around naked trying to take lamps out was just TOO much information!! [lol]
Next morning, he didn't remember a thing.....

wifie
30-Aug-07, 09:14
Dreams can be great and I can sometimes wake up feeling I really have had whatever experience it was and it is great but bad dreams are awful. Someone told me that if you dream something bad you should relate it to someone and then it won't come true. Being slightly superstitious I have to tell about bad dreams and more often than not it is my husband I tell and as he thinks things of this nature are hocum he usually laughs them off. When I was pregnant I had really vivid dreams, more often than not I was doing something repetitive and got to a stage where I was half awake and knew I was dreaming but could not make it stop - weird! On the whole though I find dreams very interesting.

helenwyler
30-Aug-07, 09:38
Just remembered another recurring NICE dream:)...

I'm at home (and I love my home) but discover lots of other rooms which I half knew existed but had forgotten about, and I'm so happy in the dream...

Your 'home' represents your 'self' in dreams, apparently...

...so maybe my dream is telling me to rediscover or extend myself!

Now where can I get Irish dancing lessons down here? (Would love to to that, not sure the legs are up to it though[lol]!!)

Angela
30-Aug-07, 09:45
Well -last night's selection of dreams certainly wasn't what I'd have chosen ....they're having a definite "hangover" effect, so I'll be an exceptionally Grumpy Old Orger today. :eek:

This thread's reminded me of the occasion -long forgotten until now - when my hubby, flailing about in a nightmare, socked me right in the eye ...the only time in my life I've actually seen stars...poor guy, there I was weeping and wailing in shock and pain -he woke up with not the faintest idea what was going on! [lol]

Mister Squiggle
30-Aug-07, 09:45
It's a very timely thread, this one, as last night I had another one of my recurrent dreams which always freak me out.
The details usually differ, but the gist is always that me, the husband and one of our children are on holiday somewhere and I suddenly realise that I've left our youngest boy on his own. I know, it smacks of 'Home Alone', but it's really frightening, that moment of panic when I suddenly realise he's not with us and for some completely illogical reason we've left a 5 year old hundreds of miles away to fend for himself. In one dream, I can clearly recall my husband saying "Don't worry, he can get up and make his own breakfast ..." and then us both panicking.
The dream usually ends with me frantically calling home, or trying to drive as fast as possible ... last night's was worse, as I had to catch a plane to get home. I woke up this morning really unsettled and I tend to carry this feeling with me through the day afterwards.
I probably have this dream, in its many variations, at least once a month. It's very cyclical. It's the only type of dream I have though which is crystal clear the next morning.

squidge
30-Aug-07, 10:51
I always dream long rambling tales of all sorts of weird things with all sortso f weird people. They dont upset me or make me grumpy usually. he worst dream i ever had was a dream where my son was a heroin addict. HIs dad and I were trying to get to the bottom of what was the matter with him and int he end he admitted it - at the moment he said "its true" i woke up sobbing and it took me about half an hour to calm down - i had to get up and make a cup of tea. The Bruce found me sobnbing in the living room. Worse was that he was away and i couldnt even peek into his room and tell myself he was fine.... makes me shiver to think about it

nanoo
30-Aug-07, 12:37
I dream quite a lot but only remember flashes of it in the morning and by mid morning i remember nothing at all. However have you ever had a dream (correction, nightmare) that wakes you up at a really scary bit and you lie there in bed forcing yourself to stay awake in case you go back into it again? I occasionally do and i'm sure its only seconds that pass but it seems like an hour later you sleep again. The only strange thing about the whole thing is, i tell my hubby in the morning about it but can't recall the whole thing, just bits and bobs. :roll:

Lolabelle
02-Sep-07, 10:02
I had the most horrible dream last night. I dreamt that Dave had died but was out with me for lunch, I was gettting really stressed because I wanted him to back into the fridge because he was starting to rot. :eek:
Do you think this means anything???
And I woke Dave again with my sobbing :~(

northener
02-Sep-07, 12:24
Had a really unsettling and scary dream a few years ago which made me awake with a start.

I opened my eyes (in the dark) and could make out the outline of a huge black rat with glowing eyes on the pillow next to me. It was crouched ready to spring at me.

I reacted like lightning - yelled as loud as I could, grabbed the rat with both hands and delivered a vicious head-butt.

The next thing I know is that there is a lot of screaming and my wife has jumped out of bed and is accusing me of trying to kill her!

I must have opened my eyes whilst still dreaming and seen the outline of her head in the dark. Luckily, she was facing the other way as she said all she remembers is being grabbed and then a massive whack to the back of her head!

Oh, how she laughed.......

That's not to say my wife resembles a rat in anyway - I think I'll stop now.

Thumper
02-Sep-07, 12:42
LMAO northener I bet you were in the doghouse for a wee while after that one :D It reminded me of the time I woke up whilst having a dream about slugs and when I woke up they were everywhere.......I was in a total stake of shock that not only had i dreamt it but it was actualy true and i was freaking out at all the slugs slithering around me!Turned the light on only to find out the "slugs" were actually knots in the wood of the door,bed etc :) Can't begin to tell you how relieved I was about that one x

jsherris
02-Sep-07, 13:14
What are you lot like, dreaming all these weird & wonderful dreams!

When me & andy first got together, we drove to london to pick my little cat up that was being fostered by a friend... a few days after fetching her home, I dreamt that andy had fed her.. and it had poisoned her & she died! When I woke up in the morning, I set off around the flat to find her... I was crying.... but she was fine.
I didn't talk to andy all morning though! Mean Brute!
[lol]

porshiepoo
02-Sep-07, 13:21
I dream every night and can remember most!
One of the things with narcolepsy is that I have very vivid dreams within minutes of falling asleep and this can be throughout the day too. Because I wake up constantly too it means I have many dreams in the space of one night.
Throughout my childhood and adult life the one thing that is consistant throughout is the knowledge during 80% of my dreams that it is in fact a dream and that I can manipulate the dream, plus I can fly in most dreams :eek:

Ricco
02-Sep-07, 15:30
I usually dream - always in colour. Many of them are ordinary and based upon recent events. However, I sometimes have very strange dreams - no clothes in public places, big complex houses with loads of rooms, flying. Last nights was a corker.

I dreamt that I was in a big building and trying to find my way round lots of rooms and corridors; then the power failed and I was trying to fix the switchboard when the scene suddenly changed to a large fishing vessel coming in to dock. When I got off I turned to see all the boats sailing away apart from one. This drifted closer and I saw that it was a whale with a lot of people kicking it, so I went over to guide it back to the sea but discovered that it had been shot many times. That was when I awoke. Wierd or what! :eek:

brandy
02-Sep-07, 16:04
ohh i have whoppers!!!
one night i dreamed hubby was cheating on me with a woman from his work..
even met her in my dream.
can still see that witches face in my mind! (even though i have never met anyone that looks like her in real life)
i woke up.. gave him heck..
and was mad at him all day for cheating on me in my dream!!

Julia
02-Sep-07, 22:37
I get loads of recurring dreams, the most annoying is trying to use the phone, it's an emergency of some kind and no matter how hard I try to dial the number I keep getting it wrong and if I do manage to dial it correctly the line goes dead or is engaged, it's the most infuriating dream ever and I've been having it for years.

Apart from that I dream every night, they are mostly very weird and strange, I'm quite sure if I ever had them analysed I'd be promptly sectioned [lol]

I also talk, laugh and hold my breath while asleep, as well as being a serial teeth grinder, aye it's a barrel of laughs sleeping in my bed!

karia
02-Sep-07, 23:14
Oh Julia..thank you!

I have the 'disaster' dream that ends in the mobile phone being..missing/battery dead/someone elses without the relevant numbers/switched off/ any other combination that leaves me unable to seek help.:eek:

I would say I am glad I am not alone but for the fact that I sympathise with anyone having that dream and would not wish it on my worst enemy!

karia

brandy
02-Sep-07, 23:20
omg the all time big one!!
the toilet dream!
you know where you are dreaming that your on the toilet doing a wee.. and you wake up milleseconds before you pee the best and make a mad dash to the toliet!

karia
02-Sep-07, 23:35
the toilet dream!
you know where you are dreaming that your on the toilet doing a wee.. and you wake up milleseconds before you pee the best and make a mad dash to the toliet!

No...Thank God!:eek:

I have enough trouble in my dreams without having to stop for a pee!

...now there's another thing to worry about![lol]

Kariax

jsherris
03-Sep-07, 00:41
the toilet dream!

Oh dear..... Karia, just you wait, you might have one of these yet!
I had one... as I remember, it was right after eldest daughter had her baby... I was absolutely out on my feet... but I woke up milliseconds after, NOT before.... Now, you know when you're a bit older & you've had a few kids, & you just haven't got the bladder muscles of yesteryear........! :o

brandy
03-Sep-07, 00:43
ohh i remember one!! once a long time ago.. just after we met.. hubby dreamed he was in labour!
can you imagine!

percy toboggan
03-Sep-07, 16:40
Friday night I visit a friend - younger guy than I having problems with 'stress' and depression - out of the blue always been an upbeat guy.Not seen him for 18 months but we used to be quite close, and his wife was/is a very good friend of mine....
Sunday I happen to mention this to my Son, who lives 150 miles away and has met the chap just twice - five years ago, and not given him much of a second thought since . Son dreams (on Friday night) of said friend and sees him in some kind of 'inner turmoil'

Odd, I thought.