PDA

View Full Version : Complications

squidge
29-Aug-07, 12:06
I am getting absolutely scunnered when doing my shopping. With a baby coming I have had a few things to buy and i find that everything is so COMPLICATED.

Trying to buy a pushchair was a nightmare - the combinations, the folding down, the suspension, crikey you need an engineering degree!!!!

Then i thought about using real nappies and honestly - the choice, the styles, the options, the environmental information - i was completely bamboozled

Today i am looking for a heater - the room which is going to be the baby's room doesnt have a radiator so i want to put an electric heater in it, there are so many different types and some have Electronic climate control, some have thermostats ( quite what the difference is Im not sure) - IM just drowning in a sea of information.

is all this choice a good thing or a bad thing? Am i ever going to find a heater that suits? How do i make my way through the reams of information and more importantly - am i alone in finding this frustrating?

Angela
29-Aug-07, 12:18
I don't think you're alone in this squidge, my daughter had her first baby last year and we were both staggered at just how much choice there is now -and how many decisions you can feel you have to make.

Worse, of course, when you have a bump to carry around the shop with you ...;)

It used to be so simple (well, relatively)....

I find there's too much choice almost everywhere I shop, and would prefer less....I think I know exactly what I want until I'm faced with so many different options and I quite often end up leaving with nothing, because I'm overwhelmed with information and choices.

I buy a lot more online now, it's much less stressful! :D

karia
29-Aug-07, 12:23
Hi squidge,

Much as I understand your frustration, I am just delighted that your 'complications' are in respect of paraphernalia and not in respect of you and baby!

You had me going when I saw the title!:eek:

Karia

justine
29-Aug-07, 12:25
hi there. Yes i know what it is like...But i would be aare that sometimes it is not worth going for the full expense of some of the items as babies grow so fast.I have been lucky as one pram goes a long way, and did not really have to change anything until the twins arrived...Be careful with the heater that you choose as some eat electric....As for prams i say go for one that lasts you 0-3yrs..

Good luck with the last of your pregnancy and let us know all info when it is born.....

Angela
29-Aug-07, 12:31
Hi squidge,

Much as I understand your frustration, I am just delighted that your 'complications' are in respect of paraphernalia and not in respect of you and baby!

You had me going when I saw the title!

Karia

Same here, karia, I had a really bad moment there! :eek:

squidge, I'm so glad that you and your baby are fine, and the "complications" are nothing to do with your pregnancy. :)

jsherris
29-Aug-07, 12:36
Squidge... nappies....

I was asked a while ago to have a look at the Eco-nappy websites - someone in our are was setting up business & needed a hand PC wise.
Anyhow, I had a sample of the bamboo nappy & it was so soft!
They're like terry nappies, only shaped like a disposable with velcro tabs.
You get a weeks supply & just pop the dirty ones into the bin they provide you with - each week, the bin is taken away, replaced & you get a fresh set of nappies freshly laundered.
It costs about the same as disposables, without the landfill!

There is a scottish nappy service - if they don't cover your area, they will tell you who does & will discuss with you what type of nappy you want to use - fantastic service!
http://www.scottishnappy.co.uk/about

squidge
29-Aug-07, 12:42
thanks

the laundry service doesnt operate here in snecky but the HIghland Real Nappy Network invited me along to a demonstration last week which was good but mindblowing! the variety is incredible - the do a trial pack which seems like it might be worth a try.

changilass
29-Aug-07, 12:49
For goondess sake woman, don't frighten us all like that again.

Another one here who is glad to hear its just about buying 'stuff' for the baby.

Just enjoy, and buy what takes your fancy, so long as everything has the safety marks on them don't worry to much and go with your initial feelings.

I have visions of a tartan pram with shield at the front, great to join in the re-enactments:lol: Tartan nappies anyone???

helenwyler
29-Aug-07, 12:53
Hi squidge!

Glad you (and bump) are fine if exasperated:eek:!

It's 20 years since I bought a baby carriage but, to save you traipsing around too much you could try

www.shopzilla.co.uk (http://www.shopzilla.co.uk) and look under baby carriages.

And then put your feet up:)!

Good luck

helen

squidge
29-Aug-07, 12:54
Lol Changi and everyone - IM so sorry - i didnt give it a thought when i posted i was simply thinking how COMPLICATED everything is!!!!

Tartan pram lol nope - coulndt find one but have settled on a black and white check which is very nice. Tartan nappies arent to far fetched either - you should have seen the selection!!!!!

orkneylass
29-Aug-07, 17:03
about 20 years ago my dear old Granny said to me "You have so many choices these days and i don't envy you. Life was much simpler when I was your age"...and the choices have grown ever since! Things that get me are 36 programmes on a washing machine and hundreds of functions on my mobile phone I neither understand nor need. I am wondering if there is an amazing business opportunity for simple but reliable things .....washing machines with 4 programmes....etc?????

karia
29-Aug-07, 17:45
Hi Orkneylass,

You would love my new Washing Machine..it is so 'energy efficient' that if I request that it does anything other than saving the planet...like, god forbid, washing anything less than a full load with anything more than tepid water..it locks the door and refuses to have anything to do with me.:roll:

No choices for me..it's the machine's way or nothing at all!;)

karia

orkneylass
29-Aug-07, 17:58
Karia, I was hoping the sports wash programme on my machine would change my life and turn me into a health nut....but it didn't!!!!!!!

karia
29-Aug-07, 18:03
I know what you mean Orkneylass.....I had high hopes for 'Easy Iron':lol:

karia

Sporran
29-Aug-07, 18:06
Hi squidge,

You had me going when I saw the title!:eek:

Karia

Phew!! You had me going too, when I saw the title of this thread, Squidge! :eek: Thank goodness it's only complications of a much lesser kind!

golach
29-Aug-07, 19:28
For goondess sake woman, don't frighten us all like that again.
Another one here who is glad to hear its just about buying 'stuff' for the baby.

Squidge, dont do that to an owld man, Changi your right she frightened the life out of me :eek:

Dadie
29-Aug-07, 19:29
i know its complicated.. i bought stuff i didnt use much (baby monitor with movement sensor it gave me heart failure as Lauren didnt move enough for it or wriggled off it) stuff i wish i got (a pram that has decent steering and fits in my small car)stuff im happy with (big pram that fits in hubbys car if need be) .. dont buy too much stuff now as you never know what you will get as pressies..but try to work out what you want on your wish list and if people ask what you want/need you can give them some hints! a moses basket or cot and bedding, pram, carseat baby bath and a few small babygros and vests, nappies and wipes (steriliser and bottles if not breastfeeding)are the only essentials you will need straight away the rest of the stuff you can figure out later!

good luck
xxx

Fluff
29-Aug-07, 20:08
In the Boots where i work, the baby section is beside the opticians. so everyday i have to go past the clothes about 4-5 times. Our storeroom is at the bottom end of the baby stuff, beside the prams and carry things.
Evertime i walk past it on my way to the store room i think, cheez! what a choice!

JAWS
30-Aug-07, 02:01
There's nothing complicated about the choices at all! Blue baby socks for a boy, pink for a girl and yellow if you haven't been told yet! ;)

Lolabelle
30-Aug-07, 02:28
Things that get me are 36 programmes on a washing machine and hundreds of functions on my mobile phone I neither understand nor need.

Absolutely!
We have ended up with a washing machine that I need the book for so I can try to work out how to get the door open after the load is finished. :eek:
And as for the phone????? We just wanted one to make phone calles, we told there is no such thing these days!!!![smirk]

Sporran
30-Aug-07, 07:05
Poor Squidge is finding complications
Too much baby stuff and combinations
Nothing's straightforwad like it used to be
When buying for a baby he or she!

paris
30-Aug-07, 08:22
There's nothing complicated about the choices at all! Blue baby socks for a boy, pink for a girl and yellow if you haven't been told yet! ;)
LOL Jaws if only it WAS that simple ! Good luck squidge with what ever you decide to buy . jan x