PDA

View Full Version : dogs and postmen

cuddlepop
28-Aug-07, 15:23
Anyone any idea why dogs hate them so much?
Our "adopted "addition hates them with avengence.If she got anywhere near the poor man she'd have him.The van pulls up and before she sees him she's growling at the engine noise.
This starts the older one off. .( we managed to train her so that she ignores the postman.)

The din that comes from our house is terrible.Is it the uniform as she can meet ours in ordinary clothes and she ignores him.One even comes to the house as a friend.

If tried the heavy hand approach.:confused nothing works.

rs 2k
28-Aug-07, 15:54
:lol: we had a dog that did this and i thought it was the uniform but no, she could meet him in the street without uniform on and still bark and growl at him

The reason they do this is, which might help u is here in this link

http://www.canineconcepts.co.uk/ccp51/cc/dog-behaviour/hate-the-postman.shtml

sadly our dog passed away 2 years ago :(

Hope it helps

cuddlepop
28-Aug-07, 16:09
:lol: we had a dog that did this and i thought it was the uniform but no, she could meet him in the street without uniform on and still bark and growl at him

The reason they do this is, which might help u is here in this link

http://www.canineconcepts.co.uk/ccp51/cc/dog-behaviour/hate-the-postman.shtml

sadly our dog passed away 2 years ago :(

Hope it helps
Thanks for the link rs2k,so sorry to hear about your dog passing away.

There's one postman that just ignores the barking and comes in anyway, the others make sure the dogs are in the back garden or in the house.

rs 2k
28-Aug-07, 16:14
Our postman never came if the dog was out, we got the letters the next day with DOG OUT written on them

she was alovely collie and 14 when she died, she had a good life tho, still miss her, she would sit at the telly and watch a full game of football and she loved the cat adverts :lol: as soon as the advert started she would run to the telly barking, great fun to watch

hope the link helps u

Best of luck

Lindsay

WeeBurd
28-Aug-07, 20:57
We're very lucky as our posties (and most of the delivery drivers too!) all know that when our mutt comes charging at them, it's because he wants to play - I'm happy to say, they usually oblige and have a quick kick-about in the garden with him :D.

divanp75
28-Aug-07, 21:25
Sorry guys but our Jack Russel LOVES the postman/woman

He would LOVE to get in the van (which he does so times) and go for a ride round.

Luckly our postie has a little biscuit for him and pops it in the front door with the him so she can get away.

Diane

golach
28-Aug-07, 22:32
Anyone any idea why dogs hate them so much?

As an ex Postman, who was brought up with dogs on farms and do not fear them, I too encountered this in Leith when I was a postman.
My theory is that the postman is never let into the house and usually is made to stand at the door, the dog sees this as a threat and duly reacts to this threat. Now on the other hand Meter Readers come into the house as do Insurance men ( when they did collect the Insurance money) and the dogs do not react.
I delivered to a house in Granton that had warning signs on the gate Beware of the Dog do not enter, and the previous postman had notes left for this address "DO NOT Enter ", on arriving at this address I was met by this 6 foot Alsatian hurling its self at the gate, the householder came running out and shouted to me to not come near the house as the dog hated postmen. I duly backed off. and left her mail next door.
I would not admit defeat and each day I would stop and have a conversation with the householder, the dog for a few days threw itself at the gate barking and snarling, eventually it gave up, and used to then just bark at me, at no time did I attempt to enter the garden, eventually the dog came over sniffed my clenched fist and had a tentative lick, from then on we were pals, he used to throw his toy over the fence to me to throw back ( A Motor Cycle Tyre) he weighed 10 stones or a 140lbs , but he would never let me in the garden, that was his property...and who was I to argue with a dog that was taller and heavier than me. [lol]

changilass
29-Aug-07, 13:11
When postie first saw our dogs, he would pass the post over the fence to us and stroke the dogs, but he soon found they were very friendly.

Murphy loves the postman (as did Sebs), but then bro in law is a postie so they just class the posties as part of the family.