PDA

View Full Version : Wick Youth

Andrew C
28-Aug-07, 00:04
Hi...just picking up on a few threads about problems with youth. I'm guessing here that we're mainly talking about secondary school kids?

As you may have read elsewhere, I'm the new Salvation Army bloke in the town and one of the things I'm looking at is provision for secondary school youth in the area. Our clubs at the moment go up to S1 up at the youth club on Lower Dunbar Street.

A few questions:

1) if you are a teenager reading this post, what kinda stuff would you like to have available to you in the town?
2) if you aren't a teenager, what do you think the teenagers need?

brokencross
28-Aug-07, 06:52
Excellent post, I am not in the area so won't contribute with ideas, but I really do hope you get lots of positive feedback.

Andrew C
28-Aug-07, 10:39
Thanks for chipping in...I hope too that we'll get some ideas. We've got a wee bit o money and an empty hall to use (not the main SA hall, but the one attached to our house at 5 Victoria Place) so the sooner we get an idea of what is needed, the sooner we can get cracking!

thanks
Andrew C

Ash
28-Aug-07, 11:31
Im not in Wick but i live in Thurso(not a teenager mind you) but if it was my town i think that an internet cafe would be quite cool, place for everyone to meet up, chat even study!

Andrew C
28-Aug-07, 12:35
Thanks Ash...its one of the things in our mind.

Cheers
Andrew

Andrew C
28-Aug-07, 16:14
Hi..desperately trying to keep this post near the top of the board... Would like to have your opinions on youth provision in the town! :o)

rob murray
28-Aug-07, 16:23
Andrew, judging by the amount of postings, the silver survers logged on just now are more interested in debating "moral decline" than helpling you progress the you of Wick....a wee bit ironic dont you think ? Maybe you should speak to Wick Youth Club who have some interesting music projects on the go just now, see if you can identify some inputs there. Also I dont know if you have consulted with the Pultney Town Peoples project to see how you could work with them. Only some thoughts, anyone helping to keep kids on the straight and narrow gets my vote....

bigjjuk
28-Aug-07, 16:45
It seems to me that there seems to be nothing for kids to do between the age of 11 and 15. Kids younger have parks etc and are easily pleased. The older ones want something to stimulate their minds, but also wont cost them to much as they obviously dont have a great deal to spend.

Internet cafe sounds good
Youth/games room
:-Ie psp, xbox games and pcs, for the girlies it could be something like make up sessions or hairdressing tips (sorry about the girl ideas im a guy and im not sure what would interest them).

Relaxation room
Somewhere they can go to chat hangout and not get cold or wet, they can listen to sounds and have a coke or a coffee.

Dont know if there any good but at least there ideas

Jay

Ash
28-Aug-07, 17:00
the post above is EXACTLY what i wanted when i was younger and im only 20

Andrew C
28-Aug-07, 18:00
Thanks for this so far.

Rob, I'm aware that the youth club do some sessions through the week, but I get the impression that it is still really 'children' they are attracting instead of youth, with the possible exception of their music activity. But then music stuff is only going to attract the musical I suppose. We already have busy kids clubs (P1 - S1) going on in that hall...we rent it from the youth club for the purpose and get about 180 kids.

The youth club seems well equipped with computers etc etc but I guess it is lack of volunteers that means that it is not open as much as it should or could be.

Internet cafe seems like a popular idea and certainly do-able from our point of view. The little building we have would make a good internet cafe.

Keep the opinions coming if you have them!

Fluff
28-Aug-07, 20:46
i don't know how much space etc you have, but what about somewhere just to hang out whitout getting in trouble.
non achoholic cocktails, hot chocolates etc.. comfy chairs/chill out zones, maybe a pool table, or table tennis?

Andrew C
28-Aug-07, 22:02
Thanks fluff...are you a teenager yourself?

Alice in Blunderland
28-Aug-07, 22:42
Well done Andrew you may be new to the area but I admire your willingness to dive in and try to help with the youths who do have nowhere to go and not a lot to do.

An open door and a welcome for the teenagers is going to be a great thing for them as lets face it they are not really welcome anywhere. :( Internet activity for them is a great plus. I also like Fluffs idea just a warm comfy place for them to hang out watch movies buy snacks and drinks and get the crack sounds a positive start. Once through the door Im sure the kids themselves will give you many suggestions some good and some maybe risky but they will no doubt be up for offering an opinion.

Keep us all posted as to how its going. :)

dunderheed
28-Aug-07, 22:49
right here's my tuppence worth.
why not just somewhere for them to hang out? no need for computers get them a pool table, heres another novel idea a grffiti wall ,obviously this would need to be policed for the right reasons i.e no sweary words no slagging other people off etc.
sometimes youth just need to be given a little space, somewhere for a hot drink and a bit of heat and a chat

Fluff
29-Aug-07, 08:20
No andrew, i am 23 so have been a teenager not that long ago lol. still retty fresh in the memory, ahh the hormones!

Douglas Cowie
29-Aug-07, 09:47
Andrew C, I work for the Wick Youth Club's Music Link Media project which is held every Thursday night from 6.00 to 10.00 on a drop in basis. It is open to High School 3rd years and beyond.
Whilst the main core of interest is music, kids drop in to have a game of pool, listen to the bands and generally hang out with their friends. We also encourage them to get involved in other forms of media such as stage lighting, recording, using still and video cameras, the list goes on.
This is all free and well supported.
Contact the Youth Club if you would like a tour.

Lolabelle
29-Aug-07, 10:58
I am not a teen or even in the UK, but I belong to a church that have a very active "Youngies" group. They do lots of good activities that keep the teens busy and out of strife. Admittedly we most likely have better weather than you do over there, but they do lots of out door stuff. Bush walking, foot rally, ( groups of kids, with one elder teen to each group follow sets of criptic clues around town) abseiling, caving, beach volley ball and team building activities. As well as fellowship nights and just hanging together. They also do fund raising things like car wash to save for activities that cost a bit more. I think the best way to keep kids out of trouble and from being bored is to exhaust them physically. The idea of a internet cafe is good, but I believe it would be better to have them learn to communicate in real life and to work together for a common goal, even just to work together to solve a foot rally clue. :D

Andrew C
29-Aug-07, 14:49
Andrew C, I work for the Wick Youth Club's Music Link Media project which is held every Thursday night from 6.00 to 10.00 on a drop in basis. It is open to High School 3rd years and beyond.
Whilst the main core of interest is music, kids drop in to have a game of pool, listen to the bands and generally hang out with their friends. We also encourage them to get involved in other forms of media such as stage lighting, recording, using still and video cameras, the list goes on.
This is all free and well supported.
Contact the Youth Club if you would like a tour.

Hi Douglas,

yeah, I was aware of the music project and the Thursday night drop in. As you know, the Army hire the youth club on Fridayand Saturday nights for younger kids (up to S1). Is the group well supported with volunteers? How many young people come?

We don't want to be duplicating what the youth club are doing at all, and I'm aware that there is computer access there, as well as pool etc. But there still seems to be a gap. The question I'm pondering is if there is enough 'non-structured' or non-activity based provision. I guess its providing something that is 'cool' for that S2 age and up.

The ideas provided already just suggesting a 'space', I suppose like a sort of common room idea, may just fill a gap. But then, if 'certain kids' come, then it might exclude others. Not an easy thing I suppose.

Thanks for the input...keep it coming! :o)

Alice in Blunderland
29-Aug-07, 15:22
I do agree with most others here .All the kids seem to need is an open door, for them to be made welcome and somewhere for them to hang out and chat. This would save them having to loiter on the street. :)

botheed
29-Aug-07, 18:22
hello Andrew,
i am a yourh worker and find that a lot of the youth folkes like drama and crafts. a gospel message would be great also:Razz

Andrew C
30-Aug-07, 20:47
another shameless post to get this topic back to the top of the list :o)

exwicker
30-Aug-07, 21:17
Hi andrew,im new here,but an ex-weeker none the less!.Ive nothing but praise for the salvation army,they helped me get back on my feet,when i was down and out 10 years ago!,and i currently live around the corner from where william booths grave lies,ill send photos if ye have an email address.Your best bet for the kids in wick,would be a mini-internet cafe,with say wi-fi access,just incase they have there own computers!.After school and weekend access would be a plus too,a lot of kids in wick are into social network sites like,bebo,facebook,and the like.But how many know how to set up a laptop,or computer from scratch?,how to reformat a hard drive,or do a system restore.?,install webcams and other periphials.If i was you,id try set up a basics course for beginners,and get volunteers to help run the cafe!.Dont worry andrew,go ahead and set it up,and the kids will soon come.You could also supply fax,and printing services,and a charger for all mobiles!.Im in england,but if i can be of any assistance,as im into IT bigstyle,please ask. god bless ex-wicker

Andrew C
30-Aug-07, 21:29
Thanks exwicker...yes, internet cafe does seem to be the best idea.

I used to live in London myself, Camberwell (near Elephant n Castle) - been to Booths grave a couple of times. There are tonnes of pioneer SA people buried in that little corner of the cemetary.

Anyway..thanks for the offer of support...may take you up on it.

Andrew C

Welcomefamily
31-Aug-07, 14:08
Any thing that gives teenagers something to do, its got to be good.

ginajade
31-Aug-07, 15:50
hi there you maybe want to get a LAN up and running, so the kids can play games together, ie in teams,, if your planning the internet stuff anyway,
:D

Andrew C
31-Aug-07, 16:17
hi there you maybe want to get a LAN up and running, so the kids can play games together, ie in teams,, if your planning the internet stuff anyway,
:D

Its certainly something to consider in the process if thats where we go with it.

saxovtr
31-Aug-07, 16:18
i say build a go kart track

NLP
31-Aug-07, 16:23
I think once you get them in they will soon let you know what it is that they want, I like the idea of the chill out area, winter isn't far off the kids would be better off in your hall than on the street.

Andrew C
31-Aug-07, 16:38
I think once you get them in they will soon let you know what it is that they want, I like the idea of the chill out area, winter isn't far off the kids would be better off in your hall than on the street.

The unfortunate thing is that it might not be possible or our little hall to be ready this side of Christmas...it needs a complete re-decorate. Its not the main Salvation Army hall, but the one a couple of doors down attached to the back of our house.

Having just moved here in the lovely weather we've been having (not), I can totally appreciate that these young people wouldn't want to be on the streets.

Here is what I'm thinking: I think it would be good to have a little group of 15/16 year olds come together and talk with us and get involved with an idea of what they would like. Do you know youth of that age who might be interested? If so, get them to email me at this address (wick.corps@salvationarmy.org.uk). (wick.corps@salvationarmy.org.uk)

Thanks for all your input...if you have anything else to add, please chip in!

rfr10
31-Aug-07, 16:44
I've also tried asking for young people's views on what they would like in the area. Last year, a survey was posted on Caithness.org (Youth Groups Section) asking young people what they would like in the area. A few of the same surveys were handed out in school. In total, I only received about 9 back which does not represent the view of all young people in Caithness. Any responses you obtain from this thread would also be greatly appreciated by me for helping with my work in Highland Youth Voice. Each area representatives depend on the views of ALL or MOST young people form each town/ county. Wick has 3 Highland Youth Voice Representatives and currently one member representing Caithness in the Highland Youth Voice executive committee (that being me) and although I do my best to try and take forward the views of most young people, it is very difficult unless I consult with many young people. In the following few months, I hope to consult more with young people than previously and try to obtain as many views as possible from young people in the whole of Caithness. It would be great if more young people were encouraged to use the forums of Caithness.org (not that much that the forums would be over run by them but enough so that they can give their views and oppinions on matters in Caithness at the moment)

I hope you manage to receive the information you were looking for and wish you luck. If you would like to see the responses from the survey I opened last year for young people then I'd be happy to provide you with the results. If you want to find out what sort of information I managed to receive, check out the Youth Groups section of this site at http://www.caithness.org/youth/ and click on the survey link at the top of the page. Also, I'm sure, if you wanted to find a group of young people to consult with, you could try getting in contact with the Caithness Youth Forum aswell who may be able to consult with you on this topic.

Thanks!

Andrew C
31-Aug-07, 16:49
Thank you very much for this post. That is very helpful.

Likewise, if there is ever anything I can do to help you, please get in touch with me.

yours
Andrew C

Cattach
31-Aug-07, 17:01
The unfortunate thing is that it might not be possible or our little hall to be ready this side of Christmas...it needs a complete re-decorate. Its not the main Salvation Army hall, but the one a couple of doors down attached to the back of our house.

Having just moved here in the lovely weather we've been having (not), I can totally appreciate that these young people wouldn't want to be on the streets.

Here is what I'm thinking: I think it would be good to have a little group of 15/16 year olds come together and talk with us and get involved with an idea of what they would like. Do you know youth of that age who might be interested? If so, get them to email me at this address (wick.corps@salvationarmy.org.uk). (wick.corps@salvationarmy.org.uk)

I agreed with what you are trying to do. However, I would like to take you up on one of the statements above regarding youngsters not wanting to be on the streets. Many do. Not for any unlawful purpose or to cause trouble but simply threy like hanging about with pals watching the world go by and engaging with one another and the passer by.
Do let us assume that what we want is what they want and I suppose that that is a good reason for ask their views. having worked with youngsters professionally and in youth organisations for close on 40 years this is a very complex issue.
kids and parents will claim there is nothng to do even when there is. In Thurso there was a great programme of events for the younger age group and yet I heard parents say that they were glad the schools were back as there was nothing to do. A week at the Light Factory and a week at the Sports activities atthe High School would have absorbed one third of the holidays. There were all sorts of other events going on, there are playparks, there is the beach, there are opportunities for creating their own fun. A Place like Caithness has so much freedom and free space and generally pretty afe.
I accept my examples are for young group but there are things for other youth to do as well.
But the street corner has attractions and should not be dismissed even in poor weather!

Andrew C
31-Aug-07, 17:18
I agreed with what you are trying to do. However, I would like to take you up on one of the statements above regarding youngsters not wanting to be on the streets. Many do. Not for any unlawful purpose or to cause trouble but simply threy like hanging about with pals watching the world go by and engaging with one another and the passer by.
Do let us assume that what we want is what they want and I suppose that that is a good reason for ask their views. having worked with youngsters professionally and in youth organisations for close on 40 years this is a very complex issue.
kids and parents will claim there is nothng to do even when there is. In Thurso there was a great programme of events for the younger age group and yet I heard parents say that they were glad the schools were back as there was nothing to do. A week at the Light Factory and a week at the Sports activities atthe High School would have absorbed one third of the holidays. There were all sorts of other events going on, there are playparks, there is the beach, there are opportunities for creating their own fun. A Place like Caithness has so much freedom and free space and generally pretty afe.
I accept my examples are for young group but there are things for other youth to do as well.
But the street corner has attractions and should not be dismissed even in poor weather!

I completely agree with all you say. When I was a kid I hung out on street corners because I wanted to. And, also, there were tonnes of things to do but very vew of the activities interested me. Also, as I said above, we're not looking to duplicate or compete with any other group.

This is exactly why I am trying to get opinions from a wide variety of places, and from young people themselves. Young people are diverese and even the percentage who hang on the streets are a small percentage of the youth in the town.

In our last appointment down south, the youth who came to our youth cafe were hardly ever the ones who wanted to be on the streets...this is where detached youth work comes in....meeting and talking with young people on the streets, listening to them etc

But the idea of a 'space to hang out' seems to be a common one for youth in the town. I understand there is a little campaign going on at the High School in Wick for the seniors to have a common room. I guess the ideas that are coming along here are along those lines.

thanks for the input
Andrew

pulteney person
31-Aug-07, 22:26
Andrew,

The Pulteneytown People's Project have a Youth Project called TALK (Teens, Activities and Leisure Club) It is open to young people from S1 - S6.
They use a flat in Murchison Street as a base. The flat is equiped with computers with wireless internet, widescren TV and DVD, comfortable furniture, washing machine, tumble drier, juicer, microwave, cooker, kettle, toaster, grilling machine, fridge, freezer, chocolate fountain and a karaoke machine.
They run a Girls Group on Monday evenings. The girls take part in computing, arts and crafts, hair and beauty evenings, cinema trips and cooking and baking.
A Duke of Edinburgh Awards Group meet on Tuesday evenings. Young people use the computers to do project work associated with various sections of the awards. Some also use the flat to learn cooking and baking skills and life skills as part of their award.
The flat is often used by teenagers during holidays. It gives young people somewhere to hang out with friends and take part in a range of activities.

A youth worker takes a group on Monday evenings for skate boarding sessions at the Pulteney skate park. This runs from April to late September.

TALK also use Wick High School daily. A lunch club takes place from Monday - Friday. Around 25 young people meet there every day to take part in computing, chess, board games and to have a chat with friends.

Guitar and drums tuition takes place on Tuesday and Friday after school for pupils from S1 and S2. This is a popular group which has seen many of the young people go on to form bands.

Arts and crafts sessions take place on Wednesday and Thursday after school. This group often take part in community art projects.

Pulteneytown People's Project also offer early morning and after school care for children from P1 - P7 through MAASK at Wick South School. This service is open to children from any primary school. A taxi picks up at all Wick primaries.
Holiday Clubs take place during Easter, Summer and October holidays and are open from 8.45am - 5.15pm for pupils from P1 - S2.

Andrew, I hope that gives you a bit of information about what young people do in Wick.
PPP have various other ideas in the pipeline for teenagers. :D

dunderheed
01-Sep-07, 12:57

andrew maybe as your first project you could maybe get your youth group to decorate the hall , this would make it feel more like "their place" , also maybe local businesses would suply you with the decotating materials , thus not cutting into your equipment fund.

Thumper
01-Sep-07, 13:32
Great idea Dunderheed I think that way the kids are more likely to look after what they have and take some pride in it!Kids at our local school got to help decorate parts of it and they were delighted to be given such a responsibility! x

nikki
01-Sep-07, 14:54
I'm not trying to change the subject of this post, or discourage what Andrew C is trying to do, but just a quick question.
Why is the general image of the youth of today one of teenagers sitting on the streets?
Just wondering what the orgers opinion on this was?

Ash
01-Sep-07, 15:34
I'm not trying to change the subject of this post, or discourage what Andrew C is trying to do, but just a quick question.
Why is the general image of the youth of today one of teenagers sitting on the streets?
Just wondering what the orgers opinion on this was?

i honestly dont know, in thurso there is a green bench by a bus stop and lots of kids are there, its quite intimadating when walking by, they shout abuse at people, i dont see why they would want to sit in the rain/cold it doesnt look like fun:confused

crayola
02-Sep-07, 01:17
I wouldn't have been seen dead in any event organised by the Sally Ann when I was a teenager. Thankfully, I'm grown up now and I've have many years to reconsider my opinions.

Andrew C
02-Sep-07, 14:06
I wouldn't have been seen dead in any event organised by the Sally Ann when I was a teenager. Thankfully, I'm grown up now and I've have many years to reconsider my opinions.

Thanks for the great many comments..they are all excellent and helpful to me in summing up how we can contribute.

On Crayola's point, I'm aware that the public image of the Army isn't always modern, and we are continuing to adapt to present ourselves differently to a new generation, and in Wick we do try to play a significant part in the lives of every child in this town through our schools involvment and the JAM Club. This is simply the 'challenge' that old organisations like ours have, but we're not going to let that get in the way of joining everyone else to do what they can.

I think my overall impression is that there is an abundance of things for teenagers to do. Thats very commandable for a community like Wick where there could very easily be very little to do. We'll take these things into consideration as we put together our contribution. The issue we are trying to address is simply that we have involvement with young people during primary school and after that the involvement decreases.

I'll certainly try to keep orgers up to date with any developlments. Meanwhile, I'd still like to hear from young people if you know any.

exwicker
02-Sep-07, 15:07
Spot on andrew!,as your about to find out,Wickers were never backwards..at coming forwards! regards ex wicker