PDA

View Full Version : Tesco coming to Thurso

bky
27-Aug-07, 21:10
just been hearing that sommerfields will be closing at the end of the month and re-opening 1 week later as a tesco -obviously it wont be as big as the one in wick

changilass
27-Aug-07, 21:13
I heard that one too, but will believe it when I see it

connieb19
27-Aug-07, 21:14
It's now the 27th so not long to wait to see if it's true.

bky
27-Aug-07, 21:22
i was told the story by 2 long serving members off staff

Highland Laddie
27-Aug-07, 21:34

LOL They haven't been open a year yet !!!!!

Geo
27-Aug-07, 21:35
I'm guessing it is 2 long serving members of Somerfield's staff...

Ash
27-Aug-07, 21:36
I'm guessing it is 2 long serving members of Somerfields staff!

u beat me to it i was just about to say that! lol:lol:

Cattach
27-Aug-07, 21:36
Tesco taking over Somerfield? And pigs might fly but then they probably wont!

SNOWDOG
27-Aug-07, 21:43
I wouldnt be suprised, especially with an Asda possibly coming!

karia
27-Aug-07, 21:56
Hi guys,

Be careful what you wish for..

....it's an unpleasant monopoly masquerading as convenience and it is your future...should you choose to accept it!

It is certainly ours here in central and is not all that was 'hoped for'...just a massive and impersonal retail outlet that has stripped the character out of a town with its own story to tell.

The Falkirk Wheel is just the most astonishing construction.....and does not require me to advertise it................No Retail..

...all wow!;)

Karia

kas
27-Aug-07, 22:16
Heard that from a friend around tea time. He assures it was from a reliable source and the deal was finalised this afternoon. We will soon know one way or another.

golach
27-Aug-07, 22:20
If it opens as a Tesco Express, we have a few of them here (a mini store), dont expect to pay the same as you do in Wick, they add roughly 2% on to all prices.

Jeid
27-Aug-07, 22:29
It's true, I've been told the same by a member of staff. Obviously they would've been memoed about it.

psyberyeti
27-Aug-07, 22:32
I moved from Oxfordshire to here 3 1/2 years ago.

I love this place, I never intend going back to England to live - I have the best of everything living and working here. I knew exactly what and where I was moving to,

Except:

I used to love to hear the churchbell ringers on a tuesday evening
Cheap heating oil and petrol
Not being sold rotten, damaged, fungus covered second rate food stocked by the local 'big' supermarkets in Thurso and have the cheek to put 'Grade 1' on the labels[disgust] (this is a minor rant, sorry)I really hope Tescos moves in pretty soon as they have a reputation to keep up (I hope). They may even bring cheap fuel. Any chance of any bell ringing??:lol:

rs 2k
28-Aug-07, 00:05
Somerfield was closed today from 1.30 til 2 for staff briefing, so mayb they were all told this today, that it was definately happening, who knows til it really happens :confused

Moira
28-Aug-07, 01:11
I moved from Oxfordshire to here 3 1/2 years ago.

I love this place, I never intend going back to England to live - I have the best of everything living and working here. I knew exactly what and where I was moving to,

Except:

I used to love to hear the churchbell ringers on a tuesday evening
Cheap heating oil and petrol
Not being sold rotten, damaged, fungus covered second rate food stocked by the local 'big' supermarkets in Thurso and have the cheek to put 'Grade 1' on the labels[disgust] (this is a minor rant, sorry)I really hope Tescos moves in pretty soon as they have a reputation to keep up (I hope). They may even bring cheap fuel. Any chance of any bell ringing??:lol:

Psyberyeti - I've no idea if Tesco etc intend to open a store in Thurso. I am glad you are enjoying staying here. Handbell ringing is alive & well in Caithness - check it out here :-
http://arts.caithness.org/group.php?id=55

Mr P Cannop
28-Aug-07, 06:04
any news about Asda comming to Thurso ??

candyfloss
28-Aug-07, 07:11
I heard this yesterday too from a member of staff in the Wick shop.

bky
28-Aug-07, 07:37
Quote:
Originally Posted by bky http://forum.caithness.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?p=263172#post263172)

These folks worked for morrisons/somerfields is what i meant

corgiman
28-Aug-07, 09:14
why should we accept a wee tesco with higher prices when before tesco was even built we were supposed to have asda it absolutely stinks.

chamb
28-Aug-07, 10:03
I am not against tesco coming to take over the somerfield store, but if this means we are not getting an asda, I dont want tesco. Asda is far better than tesco, it aint like theres no tesco for a 100 miles

Ash
28-Aug-07, 10:18
Id much rather have Asda, tesco is expensive, dont care what anyone says its not as cheap as it used to be, cheap for a week then prices went up [disgust]

Penelope Pitstop
28-Aug-07, 10:20
Hi

Is it both the Wick and Thurso Sommerfield stores that may be changing to Tesco?

Thanks

Spirit
28-Aug-07, 10:34
My mum works for somefield and got a phone call from the Manager late yesterday afternoon and told her that the shop had been sold to Tesco. They will be closing for 2 weeks towards end Sept, completely gutting the place out to bare walls and refitting. Re-opening in October.
Not sure if I'm thrilled. I liked some of the deal in Somefield and like to choice of having somefields. co-op and tesco's not to far away. (Although I'd like Asda to be here in Thurso.) Not sure how things will work if we have both Tesco and Asda in town.
Apparently Somerfield's in Thurso was the only Scottish store sold with a few in England also sold off.

Spirit
28-Aug-07, 10:39
Id much rather have Asda, tesco is expensive, dont care what anyone says its not as cheap as it used to be, cheap for a week then prices went up [disgust]

I still find you have to shop around a bit. Rather than one hugh shop I usually do a bit in each supermarket.
I notice Somerfields will do packs of dog food 2 for £4 but in Tesco's same things is 2 for £4.50.
I like going to Teco's for the clothing, household, cd/dvd and toys section mainly with the few essential grocery items.
Quite often I will check out the offers at Tesco on-line before I'm going so I know what's available and can compare with somefields and co-op.

Cattach
28-Aug-07, 10:44
My mum works for somefield and got a phone call from the Manager late yesterday afternoon and told her that the shop had been sold to Tesco. They will be closing for 2 weeks towards end Sept, completely gutting the place out to bare walls and refitting. Re-opening in October.
Not sure if I'm thrilled. I liked some of the deal in Somefield and like to choice of having somefields. co-op and tesco's not to far away. (Although I'd like Asda to be here in Thurso.) Not sure how things will work if we have both Tesco and Asda in town.
Apparently Somerfield's in Thurso was the only Scottish store sold with a few in England also sold off.

If Tesco take over the Thurso Somerfield then the staff kept on are in for a rude awakening. Their customer service is awful. They hang around chatting in the aisles blocked with trolleys for refilling the shelves. the shelves are actually poorly filled. They are dead slow at tills and few are open. If you get a smile you are very lucky. I could go on and on - bring on Tesco!

Spirit
28-Aug-07, 11:36
It's still going to be the same staff in Tesco's when it open as it is now in somerfields unless some decide to leave.
I do agree that in somerfileds at times the shelves and especially the freezers are poorly stock but you know when big bosses are coming cause everything is stocked to the full.
Think that most of the longer serving staff are friendly enough but there seems a lot of young people who seems to spend plenty time talking to their friends and unable to crack a smile or use any pleasantries.
Somerfields has cut back on staff so much that it puts others under pressure and so you don't get the same service. Notice this especially in the coffee shop. Everytime I go only one person serving and a queue of 5 or 6 people. everything to do and people to serve can't be easy to please everyone.
Hopefully Tesco will employ more staff and bring a cleaner, friendlier, easy to access environment with affordable products.

flash
28-Aug-07, 11:39
Tesco is no different than other shops, look and you will find the bargains. It only works out more expensive because of the hugh choice. (And cause the trolly is half full by the time you reach the food lol)
I would prefer ASDA to TESCO in Thurso, as it gives us a better choice of places to shop in the county.

The Angel Of Death
28-Aug-07, 11:40
If Tesco take over the Thurso Somerfield then the staff kept on are in for a rude awakening. Their customer service is awful.

Exactly when tesco opened last year i nearly died of shock at the excelent level of customer service no misarable face staring back at you while your shopping is doing the 100 m hurdles after being scanned and getting your money back in a pleasent mannor rather than having it thrown at you people offering to pack your shopping rather than staring into space while you struggle with loading it up packing and paying it all as well

The list is endless funny thing is i was in somerfield on sat and its still exactly the same no one seems to be interested in the customer

corgiman
28-Aug-07, 12:00
but will we all be so happy if the planning board say "you already have a Tesco, so an Asda is not necessary in such a small town"

Raven
28-Aug-07, 12:16
Oh fantastic! What use is that to folks now? A Tesco for Tesco`s sake?
What we need is not another tiny supermarket, but a big ASDA.
A tesco in Thurso surely won`t stop me going over to Wicks petrol pumps to fill my car up.

Highland Laddie
28-Aug-07, 12:21
But even if Thurso get an Asda,
it's not really a big store they are building is it ???

Bobinovich
28-Aug-07, 12:35
I don't think it'll affect the Asda enquiry/situation - we're loosing a Somerfield and gaining a wee Tesco, but there'll still be room for a good sized Asda at either of the two sites. I reckon that Tesco know there's good money this side of the county and want a share...

flash
28-Aug-07, 12:37
It would be good competition between the two biggies bob

Highland Laddie
28-Aug-07, 12:47
Is The Asda store 50,000 sq ft as is Tesco
Is it bigger similar or smaller ???

I should say, i would also be delighted if Thurso got an Asda.

sjj278
28-Aug-07, 13:08
Just to add more fuel to the rumours going round!!! i heard it was supposed to be opening as tesco on 04 October!!!

Cattach
28-Aug-07, 15:36
But even if Thurso get an Asda,
it's not really a big store they are building is it ???

Big enough and dont forget about the petrol with a national pricing policy as opposed to Tesco's related to the locall price and only a few pence per litre below that. It is ASDA the petrol stations are frightened of.

Cattach
28-Aug-07, 15:39
but will we all be so happy if the planning board say "you already have a Tesco, so an Asda is not necessary in such a small town"

Not relevant - enquiry finished and decision based on evidence presented. Also decision on its own merits. NIMBYs on the Atomis site who bought houses at a cheap rate from the authority are more likely to be a problem than a small Tesco. It is just a change of name in effect even though the Tesco shop will be much better for the customer than the Somerfield one.

Cattach
28-Aug-07, 15:42

If you are a careful shopper and buy the offers, such as two for one, in Tesco you can save a huge amount compared to the Thurso supermarkets. Our shopping basket has certauinly gone down a lot in price even allowing for the cost of petrol to get to Wick - and, of course, we buy our petrol at 5p per litre less at Tesco.

Ash
28-Aug-07, 16:08
i disagree i shop at lidl now and buy good quality food for half the price its alot better, tesco is good for clothes ect but thats about it!

davem
28-Aug-07, 17:00
I spend far more of my life than I would like in Somerfield, that being said the staff there have always been obliging and pleasant. I just ain't keen on shopping. It does not reflect well on this forum that people grumble so much. If you go in with a negative attitude you probably won't enjoy the experience, but every interaction is the result of both parties to it.
I just hope the workers at Somerfield are able to stay on.

hobbes1962
28-Aug-07, 17:26
I have just had my shopping delivered from Tescos and the delivery driver brought up the subject asking if I had heard the news and confirmed that this is definitely true.

All we need now is for a supermarket to open at 7am to catch the nightshift workers on their way home.

COACHMAN
28-Aug-07, 18:27
Tesco are also looking at a Petrol station in Thurso:roll:

gollach
28-Aug-07, 18:43
Tesco are also looking at a Petrol station in Thurso:roll:

Perhaps they will make an offer for Bridgend? It's just across the road from the Somerfield site.

Highland Laddie
28-Aug-07, 18:47
Hi Ash, bad enough Tesco goods coming from down the line
what is the carbon footprint of the goods coming to lidl from Germany.

lady penelope
28-Aug-07, 18:56
Tesco also use a local agency to deliver the goods to Caithness.
They normally keep the shop floor staff and retrain them. The managers are not usually so lucky:~(

mccaugm
28-Aug-07, 20:03
If it opens as a Tesco Express, we have a few of them here (a mini store), dont expect to pay the same as you do in Wick, they add roughly 2% on to all prices.

Is that like Tesco Metro...they are more expensive than bigger Tescos with not such a great choice. Bit like a largish corner shop. Ah the Caithness rumour mill winds on...

crashbandicoot1979
28-Aug-07, 20:04
If Tesco take over Somerfield then I would say that ASDA is scunnered.

Look at how difficult ASDA have found it to get a foothold in Inverness. I'm sure theres more to Tesco than meets they eye (backhanders, anyone.....?)

As I've said before, I'm not keen on either but I've accepted that is going to happen and personally I would prefer ASDA.

EDIT - to back up the others, I've just spoke to a reliable source who's confirmed its Oct 4 its happening

mccaugm
28-Aug-07, 20:11
If Tesco take over Somerfield then I would say that ASDA is scunnered.

Look at how difficult ASDA have found it to get a foothold in Inverness. I'm sure theres more to Tesco than meets they eye (backhanders, anyone.....?)

As I've said before, I'm not keen on either but I've accepted that is going to happen and personally I would prefer ASDA.

EDIT - to back up the others, I've just spoke to a reliable source who's confirmed its Oct 4 its happening

Tesco also have a habbit of buying land they do not plan to develop just to stop other competing supermarkets getting a foothold.

Tesco....Thurso...tomorrow the rest of the world.

Cattach
28-Aug-07, 21:30
Is that like Tesco Metro...they are more expensive than bigger Tescos with not such a great choice. Bit like a largish corner shop. Ah the Caithness rumour mill winds on...

No rumour -true!

karia
28-Aug-07, 22:06
Evening guys,

Here in central we have 2 fairly large Tesco stores, both of which offer full banking facilities...or so they claim!

For reasons that are too weariesome to extrapolate upon here...we have a fair sized account there.

Last week we required to remove about £200...Tesco's banking could not cope..and the money was provided by 'raiding' the tills.

It was pointed out to me that such a large organisation would be 'good for the cash'...Mmm!:eek:

1 cabbage and an overdraft please?

I'm not convinced!

Karia

souperman
28-Aug-07, 22:23
[QUOTE=crashbandicoot1979;263802]If Tesco take over Somerfield then I would say that ASDA is scunnered.

Don`t think so, this is a very clever move by Tesco, once the "big" Asda is built, and i believe it will be, people will soon realise that they cannot go to a superstore and come away with just the weekly shop, dvd`s, clothes, garden bits etc etc all overflowing your trolley. What to do ? of course, go to the local tesco, they will be selling mainly food hopefully and will get good regular, long term custom. I think there is plenty of money locally to keep both of these Mega companies going, unfortunately something will have to give else where in the town.

scorrie
28-Aug-07, 22:40
Hi Ash, bad enough Tesco goods coming from down the line
what is the carbon footprint of the goods coming to lidl from Germany.

Highland laddie. I think you will find that much of Lidl's produce is from the UK and Ireland. Just because they are a German company does not mean that ALL the goods are from Germany. Nearly every supermarket will have goods that come from Faaaar afield.

Anne x
28-Aug-07, 22:46
just bought some green beans from M & S from Keyna flown air freight !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dunderheed
28-Aug-07, 22:51
I spend far more of my life than I would like in Somerfield, that being said the staff there have always been obliging and pleasant. I just ain't keen on shopping. It does not reflect well on this forum that people grumble so much. If you go in with a negative attitude you probably won't enjoy the experience, but every interaction is the result of both parties to it.
I just hope the workers at Somerfield are able to stay on.

davem thanks for the concern but our jobs are being transferred over

Highland Laddie
28-Aug-07, 23:06
once the "big" Asda is built, and i believe it will be,

I wouldn't say it's a big Asda, it's just over half the size of the Wick Tesco store.

Tesco Wick = 50,000 sq ft
Asda Thurso = 31,172 sq ft

But the store size doesn't matter as long as it has fuel pumps.

gem1982
29-Aug-07, 00:30
[quote=crashbandicoot1979;263802]If Tesco take over Somerfield then I would say that ASDA is scunnered.

Don`t think so, this is a very clever move by Tesco, once the "big" Asda is built, and i believe it will be, people will soon realise that they cannot go to a superstore and come away with just the weekly shop, dvd`s, clothes, garden bits etc etc all overflowing your trolley. What to do ? of course, go to the local tesco, they will be selling mainly food hopefully and will get good regular, long term custom. I think there is plenty of money locally to keep both of these Mega companies going, unfortunately something will have to give else where in the town.

Yip there is plenty of money locally but at the expense of the smaller local shops! Dont get me wrong I do shop in Tesco's in Wick because it is cheaper than the other supermarkets (maybe with the exception of Lidls) but there are certain items I would not buy in any supermarket ie fish and meat - and we need corner shops too - you are not likely to pop to Tesco's first thing in the morning just for a pint of milk for your cornflakes really are you?

Although I must admit I have done a few shops in Somerfields recently due to not being able to get to Wick to shop in Tesco's and I was pretty appalled by what they were selling! Most of the stuff was due to go out of date either that day or the next. They were obvioulsy not getting the custom to enable them to order in fresher stuff but that in turn would put custmers off I would imagine!.

Yip Tesco's is great for tinned and frozen foods but for fresh stuff well i would rather shop local but with an influx of supermarkets who is to say the local shops will be around any longer! I personally would rather know literally what farm my meat comes from and most butchers in Wick and Thurso advertise this (my husband refuses to eat supermarket meat and if I try to trick him he knows the difference) and how fresh my fish was (did anyone see the TV programme recently about what Tesco's do to their fish!!!!!!should be made illegal!) and fresh fruit and veg you cant beat Lidls but if there was a local greengrocers I would use them too! And lets face it - a shell pie from Tesco's will never taste the same as a Johnstons pie but hey this is the future we face - eating old meat and fish and not so tasty baking and all because Tesco's moved into town!

embow
29-Aug-07, 07:01
Now official. Announced on Radio Highland this very minute. Closing for a week in October to get ready. Tesco stranglehold now in Caithness as well as Inverness.

pads1
29-Aug-07, 14:05
Well the sooner the better - the fruit and veg in Somerfield is terrible - I "was" going to complain on sunday as the prepacked salad was all brown it was not out of date until end of this week.. YUK..

OK I know - should tear up my own salad really:lol:

bekisman
29-Aug-07, 14:09
Don't know if this link(full details) has been posted yet

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/2931/Tesco_in_takeover_of_Thurso_Somerfield.html

johnny north
29-Aug-07, 15:16
Big enough and dont forget about the petrol with a national pricing policy as opposed to Tesco's related to the locall price and only a few pence per litre below that. It is ASDA the petrol stations are frightened of.

Here here, the sooner ASDA comes to Thurso the better. We filled up at their store in Elgin a fortnight ago and their fuel costs 5 pence per litre less than I paid on Friday at Tesco in Wick (and a whole 10 pence per litre less than the cartel are currently charging in Thurso).

2little2late
29-Aug-07, 15:56
Tesco taking over Somerfield? And pigs might fly but then they probably wont!

Oh look! a flying pig.

2little2late
29-Aug-07, 15:58
I have just had my shopping delivered from Tescos and the delivery driver brought up the subject asking if I had heard the news and confirmed that this is definitely true.

All we need now is for a supermarket to open at 7am to catch the nightshift workers on their way home.

Try Tesco, they open at 6am

Mr_Me19
29-Aug-07, 20:38
I'm delighted about this. I go to the co-op for my lunch (I'm at school for those who don't already know) and the prices for healthy food are ridiculous. I can pay £1.70 for a plain cheese and ham sandwich or I can pay half this and get a big bag of chocolate filled donuts. The price for healthy eating is atrocious. Tescos pushes healthy eating more though and so their healthy food is cheaper.

If it means that I can afford to have a drink with my lunch then its definately a good thing.

JimH
29-Aug-07, 23:15
The Tesco deal on Somerfield in THurso is true - it is also true that I have just spent 5 minutes trying to kill the bug on Jied's avatar.

rhino
30-Aug-07, 09:30
haha,i was trying to do that too!!!

pentlander
30-Aug-07, 12:59
I'm delighted about this. I go to the co-op for my lunch (I'm at school for those who don't already know) and the prices for healthy food are ridiculous. I can pay £1.70 for a plain cheese and ham sandwich or I can pay half this and get a big bag of chocolate filled donuts. The price for healthy eating is atrocious. Tescos pushes healthy eating more though and so their healthy food is cheaper.

If it means that I can afford to have a drink with my lunch then its definately a good thing.
Would it not be easier to buy some bread cheese and ham and make your own sarnies. You could feed yourself all week for a fraction of the cost. I doubt whether the so called healthy sandwiches are really as healthy as the packaging states anyway.

Lolabelle
30-Aug-07, 13:11
it is also true that I have just spent 5 minutes trying to kill the bug on Jied's avatar.

haha,i was trying to do that too!!!

Hah! I did too, but I wasn't going to admit it, but now that you two have... :o

Cattach
30-Aug-07, 17:11
davem thanks for the concern but our jobs are being transferred over

Yes your jobs are being transfred over but not your customer service. Don't think Tesco will accept the work practices he have been used to in the past. Unless you, meaning the staff in general rather than you personally, live up to Tesco standards you will not be in the transferred position long.

Mr_Me19
30-Aug-07, 17:16
Would it not be easier to buy some bread cheese and ham and make your own sarnies. You could feed yourself all week for a fraction of the cost. I doubt whether the so called healthy sandwiches are really as healthy as the packaging states anyway.

It would yes but it means that my sandwiches will be warming up over the course of the day. If I buy it, it is straight from the fridge.

Jalon
30-Aug-07, 20:38
How about this for a scenario?
Since Tesco has a large store in Wick and now a smaller store in Thurso, would it be a good move for Asda to take over Somerfields in Wick whilst waiting to build in Thurso.
Then both stores would have a presence in each town!

maidencaithness
30-Aug-07, 21:39
It would yes but it means that my sandwiches will be warming up over the course of the day. If I buy it, it is straight from the fridge.
why don't you buy a loose brown roll, some cold meat and coleslaw from the deli, the nice ladies there will give you just enough for your roll, much cheaper and probably healthier as well.

corgiman
30-Aug-07, 21:42
thats what I always did when I was in school:lol:

Spirit
31-Aug-07, 12:44
Well the sooner the better - the fruit and veg in Somerfield is terrible - I "was" going to complain on sunday as the prepacked salad was all brown it was not out of date until end of this week.. YUK..

OK I know - should tear up my own salad really:lol:

Try the co-op for your pre-packed salad leaves and other veg. Recently I've found them to be far better than Somerfields. They do pre-packed salad leaves with different dressings and seed sprinkles included. There's a few different varieties.

Co-op also sells local potatoes and cauliflowers.

Cattach
31-Aug-07, 13:15
How about this for a scenario?
Since Tesco has a large store in Wick and now a smaller store in Thurso, would it be a good move for Asda to take over Somerfields in Wick whilst waiting to build in Thurso.
Then both stores would have a presence in each town!

I am sure ASDA will be more determined than ever to get a presence in the county. They are trying to fight Tesco in the retail market and will not want to back down even in the far north. If anything a Tesco store in Thurso will add to their wish for a store in the town.

riggerboy
31-Aug-07, 15:38
I am sure ASDA will be more determined than ever to get a presence in the county. They are trying to fight Tesco in the retail market and will not want to back down even in the far north. If anything a Tesco store in Thurso will add to their wish for a store in the town.

i dont think asda will ever come to thurso,
1, they dont want a slice of the cake they want the whole lot (same as tesco)
2, even if they do get the go ahead i think they will go to wick and take tesco head on, try to get all the money in the county not be satisfied with the thurso end only

Cattach
01-Sep-07, 13:52
i dont think asda will ever come to thurso,
1, they dont want a slice of the cake they want the whole lot (same as tesco)
2, even if they do get the go ahead i think they will go to wick and take tesco head on, try to get all the money in the county not be satisfied with the thurso end only

Do you really think that if ASDA come to Thurso they will only get the Thurso end? They will get from all around the county and lots of custom from Wick. They will also get all the North Coast Sutherland traffic that goes to Wick at present. Also the distance from Helmsdale to Thurso is so little more than if they went to Wick it is clear where they will go. The difference in Petrol price alone between Tesco and ASDA will pay the difference and leave something to spare. When I go to Tesco once a week or so I meet huge numbers from all around the Thurso side - imagine the loss to Tesco. Most will be like me and to to ASDA.
When in Wick I dine at one of the hotels or cafes - others do the same - think of the loss to those places.
ASDA will certainly not go to Wick.
ASDA will come to THurso if they are allowed to by the planning process but that is another argument.

riggerboy
01-Sep-07, 15:20
Do you really think that if ASDA come to Thurso they will only get the Thurso end? They will get from all around the county and lots of custom from Wick. They will also get all the North Coast Sutherland traffic that goes to Wick at present. Also the distance from Helmsdale to Thurso is so little more than if they went to Wick it is clear where they will go. The difference in Petrol price alone between Tesco and ASDA will pay the difference and leave something to spare. When I go to Tesco once a week or so I meet huge numbers from all around the Thurso side - imagine the loss to Tesco. Most will be like me and to to ASDA.
When in Wick I dine at one of the hotels or cafes - others do the same - think of the loss to those places.
ASDA will certainly not go to Wick.
ASDA will come to THurso if they are allowed to by the planning process but that is another argument.
tesco went to wick because it made sense and i believe asda will do the same, they work out a radius and wick falls smack bang in the middle,
asda have looked at sites in wick in the past few weeks, i have heard to the left of tesco where the road goes to the empty park on the roundabout, i know they have carried out water seepage tests
as for the petrol what ever price asda charge tesco will follow,

Ash
01-Sep-07, 15:29
i hope we get ASDA we dont have anything decent in thurso, :D

Billy Boy
01-Sep-07, 16:03
i hope we get ASDA we dont have anything decent in thurso, :D

now lol thats not true! you have the A9 out of it :)

Cattach
01-Sep-07, 16:24
tesco went to wick because it made sense and i believe asda will do the same, they work out a radius and wick falls smack bang in the middle,
asda have looked at sites in wick in the past few weeks, i have heard to the left of tesco where the road goes to the empty park on the roundabout, i know they have carried out water seepage tests
as for the petrol what ever price asda charge tesco will follow,

Poppycock on all counts!! We all know what Wick is the dead centre of - the dead road between latheron and John O' Groats.

Sairheed
01-Sep-07, 17:42
Cattach makes a point in favour of the ASDA store at the mart site - it would suit the customers from Helmsdale who could come by train.

lexie
01-Sep-07, 21:38
hurray!...tesco coming to Thurso..hip hip hurray!... here's hoping they are a bit more up on customer service than the staff that are there in sommerfield !..never go in unless its for something i cant get any place else!

JAWS
02-Sep-07, 06:39
Cattach makes a point in favour of the ASDA store at the mart site - it would suit the customers from Helmsdale who could come by train.No, Asda will go to Wick because it will suit people from the Shetlands and Inverness who could come by plane. :roll:

riggerboy
02-Sep-07, 09:11
Poppycock on all counts!! We all know what Wick is the dead centre of - the dead road between latheron and John O' Groats.

i think you will find the table has turned and thurso is now the dead center of nowhere, once dounreay goes we will have nothing left up there,

(ASDA mangement thinks to themselves lets build in thurso coz we will get all the people from helmsdale??? by train lol, why take a train that takes well over an hour when we can drive to WICK in 40mins)
i think not,
as for the A9, i think you will find that 90% of all people coming from the south still head to JOG via wick