PDA

View Full Version : Whose opinions?

karia
26-Aug-07, 20:25
My roast chicken dinner when I haven't got enough plate to get it all on.....

Which is what we had today... yes, I'm after something! ;)

Hi Julie'

Does 'Andy' have an opinion on that as well?

I notice that he has all the 'big' opinions and you test the water with milder views..so that you can dodge the 'flak' if folks don't agree!

Too many holes in your 'my space' honey...if 'Andy' says it then you can't be accused of it...nice!...;)

.......Not brave!

If you were sorting out your 'parentally lacking' neighbours in the middle of last night..how come you were also on the org at 3.00am?

we like sincere on here!

Karia

jsherris
26-Aug-07, 20:47
Hi Julie'

I notice that he has all the 'big' opinions and you test the water with milder views..so that you can dodge the 'flak' if folks don't agree!

Too many holes in your 'my space' honey...if 'Andy' says it then you can't be accused of it...nice!...;)

.......Not brave!

If you were sorting out your 'parentally lacking' neighbours in the middle of last night..how come you were also on the org at 3.00am?

we like sincere on here!

Karia
Oh Karia, what can I say here.
OK, one at a time then.
Yes, Andy can be really opinionated - it's a trait I find quite funny when he starts ranting (think victor meldrew at age 48) - we've had rows where I've played devil's advocate, but on the whole I agree with him - to a point. I understand what he's saying, but I don't necessarily agree - but I am interested in then gaining the opinion of other folks.
And as for being on here 3 am... I did explain actually - cops had taken young lady off & I was waiting for them to return to give a statement - which I did just before 4am & went to bed.
Sincere? Yes, Karia, I am - my life here in blackpool is just like my front door - always open to others. What you see is what you get. It's how I am. Anyone can come see for themselves - in the past I've had several 'open weekends' for friends I've made online & still keep in touch with. If you are ever in Blackpool you would be more than welcome too - for a little street, we get a lot of 'goings on' because of the general area & several B & B's.

However, I'm not sure this is the right thread for such comments, but I will not apologise for referring to hubby or his opinions. After all, he is probably the best thing to have happened in my life. Ever.
Julie

karia
26-Aug-07, 21:31
OK, one at a time then.
Yes, Andy can be really opinionated - it's a trait I find quite funny when he starts ranting (think victor meldrew at age 48) - we've had rows where I've played devil's advocate, but on the whole I agree with him - to a point. I understand what he's saying, but I don't necessarily agree - but I am interested in then gaining the opinion of other folks.
And as for being on here 3 am... I did explain actually - cops had taken young lady off & I was waiting for them to return to give a statement - which I did just before 4am & went to bed.
Sincere? Yes, Karia, I am - my life here in blackpool is just like my front door - always open to others. What you see is what you get. It's how I am. Anyone can come see for themselves - in the past I've had several 'open weekends' for friends I've made online & still keep in touch with. If you are ever in Blackpool you would be more than welcome too - for a little street, we get a lot of 'goings on' because of the general area & several B & B's.

However, I'm not sure this is the right thread for such comments, but I will not apologise for referring to hubby or his opinions. After all, he is probably the best thing to have happened in my life. Ever.
Julie

Julie,

Thank you for the invite to your 'open house' in Blackpool.... Blimey..what a 'cosmopolitan' bunch of neighbours, what with Lesbians and families suffering neglect, not to mention roaring drunken pregnant women and their mothers requiring your help and keeping you off your org..sorry sleep!;)

I'm sure that you will enjoy the peaceful rolling hills of Ireland!

Karia

Lolabelle
27-Aug-07, 04:22
Hi Julie'

.......Not brave!

we like sincere on here!

Karia

And who made Karia the org police, checking on other's sincerity??? [disgust]

OK, one at a time then.

Julie

None of us should have to apologise for our right to have an opinion or support or disagree with anothers. I think your response is very polite Julie. But in my opinion, you shouldn't have had to give it!

Again, not into bad reps or hidden pm's, public forum, public critisism.

helenwyler
27-Aug-07, 11:43
And who made Karia the org police, checking on other's sincerity???

Nobody.

None of us should have to apologise for our right to have an opinion or support or disagree with anothers.

Exactly. Karia was expressing an opinion, her right to which you defend.

Julie was not asked to apologise, nor did she.

Again, not into bad reps or hidden pm's, public forum, public critisism.

Yes. Both Julie and karia have expressed their opinions and criticism in public. So what exactly is your point, Lolabelle?

helenwyler
27-Aug-07, 11:56
Just to avoid confusion...

on my previous post Lolabelle's comments are in bold comic sans MS
and mine are in verdana.

Tried to edit it but failed!

Lolabelle
27-Aug-07, 12:30
Yes. Both Julie and karia have expressed their opinions and criticism in public. So what exactly is your point, Lolabelle?

I thought my point was quite clear helenwyler. What's yours?

Lolabelle
27-Aug-07, 12:40
And this means?

karia
27-Aug-07, 12:47
It would appear that those in charge have seen fit to 'divide the thread' and so now everything is deliciously without context.

I am as bewildered as you!

but assume someone is amused by this...ho hum!:roll:

karia

helenwyler
27-Aug-07, 12:47
My point is that they have both done exactly what you say they have a right to do!

Lolabelle
27-Aug-07, 12:48
Well, I'll just leave it there then.
Over it anyway.

Bobinovich
27-Aug-07, 12:53
The reason these posts were pulled out of the original thread and into their own was because they were way off the original topic and had developed into a separate one.

helenwyler
27-Aug-07, 12:53
Excellent![lol]

Lolabelle
27-Aug-07, 12:57
It would appear that those in charge have seen fit to 'divide the thread' and so now everything is deliciously without context.

I am as bewildered as you!

but assume someone is amused by this...ho hum!:roll:

karia

Just one more, cause I love to have the last word,

It is amusing, so I can understand others amusement. But I think it has kinda mangled the orginal thread! :evil

Angela
27-Aug-07, 13:01
I think there's obviously a place for anecdotes and chatting about our families and friends on lighter, chattier threads....most of us do it, don't we?

But when it comes to more important and potentially very contoversial matters, I think it's best to stick to posting our own opinions....to be prepared for criticism and disagreement, to stand up for our own beliefs if challenged, or indeed to reconsider and sometimes amend our original views on a topic. Surely that's what debate on a forum is all about?

There are a number of Org couples, with different usernames, where each individual can be held accountable for the opinions expressed.

It's entirely valid for Julie to post her opinions, just as it is for anybody else. However I for one do feel that if her OH would like to contribute his views on important and sensitive topics, he should open his own Org account.

Otherwise, what's next...."well, my auntie Flo thinks this, she has quite strong views and I don't think I really entirely agree with her, but well maybe she has a point, and she's a lovely old dear anyway, if a wee bit opinionated, so here's what she thinks...." :confused :roll:

Oddquine
27-Aug-07, 13:16
Otherwise, what's next...."well, my auntie Flo thinks this, she has quite strong views and I don't think I really entirely agree with her, but well maybe she has a point, and she's a lovely old dear anyway, if a wee bit opinionated, so here's what she thinks...."

Why not? :confused

karia
27-Aug-07, 13:20
Because Aunt Flo can't be held accountable and you could use a real or invented aunt Flo to espouse all sorts of really nasty views which you can then neatly sidestep responsibility for if the going gets tough.

karia

Angela
27-Aug-07, 13:34
Why not? :confused

Oddquine, I know we almost all mention what our family/friends/neighbours do or say at times...and indeed, why not? I entirely agree.

I just think it would be better to allow "auntie Flo" to present her own opinion on contentious topics, if she's willing and able to, then she is accountable for what she says.

It's good to know exactly who it is that's lobbing in the "hand grenade"...:confused

Oddquine
27-Aug-07, 14:22
Oddquine, I know we almost all mention what our family/friends/neighbours do or say at times...and indeed, why not? I entirely agree.

I just think it would be better to allow "auntie Flo" to present her own opinion on contentious topics, if she's willing and able to, then she is accountable for what she says.

It's good to know exactly who it is that's lobbing in the "hand grenade"...:confused

Well, my Auntie Flo says she has no problems with me using her as a vehicle to offer two different opinions on one post in order to engender debate.

I can't see any difference between attributing different opinions and going the generalised " some people"/"most people"/"my neighbours" say route.

Methinks some sad people have little to do with their time that they are checking when other people are posting and insinuating they are telling porkies!

Oddquine
27-Aug-07, 14:24
Because Aunt Flo can't be held accountable and you could use a real or invented aunt Flo to espouse all sorts of really nasty views which you can then neatly sidestep responsibility for if the going gets tough.

karia

And your problem with that is?

Angela
27-Aug-07, 14:33
Well, my Auntie Flo says she has no problems with me using her as a vehicle to offer two different opinions on one post in order to engender debate.

I can't see any difference between attributing different opinions and going the generalised " some people"/"most people"/"my neighbours" say route.

Methinks some sad people have little to do with their time that they are checking when other people are posting and insinuating they are telling porkies!

Oh oddquine, I never knew you had an auntie Flo! ;)

Hope you're not referring to me as a "sad" person, as I do indeed have a life beyond the Org and better things to do with my time than "check" when folk are posting, or to "insinuate" anything about anyone.

What I've done here is express my opinion, which you of course are perfectly entitled to disagree with. :)

karia
27-Aug-07, 14:37
Oddquine'

I'm sorry but if you cannot see the need for accountability then I am at a loss as to how you expect any democratic organisation to function in a civilised and just fashion.....

...The Org is a democracy...is it not?

Karia

changilass
27-Aug-07, 14:38
Just to clarify, if someone posts what are someone elses words, they are accountable within the org rules.

ie someone swearing on behalf of Auntie Flo would be liable for warnings/infraction points.

Changi

karia
27-Aug-07, 14:40
Hi Changilass,

That is most gratifying to hear.:D

Karia

BRIE
27-Aug-07, 15:26
is julie under surveillance??? are you the private investigator karia???
are we all checked to see if we pass the sincerity test, seems odd that poor Julie has even had her 'myspace' checked out!![disgust]

Ash
27-Aug-07, 15:38
BRIE i agree with you, very strange

Oddquine
27-Aug-07, 15:39
Oddquine'

I'm sorry but if you cannot see the need for accountability then I am at a loss as to how you expect any democratic organisation to function in a civilised and just fashion.....

...The Org is a democracy...is it not?

Karia

Well, no............... it's an online forum governed by rules laid down by the owners. :roll:

And I really can't see your problem with accountability..........nobody is forcing you to accept that my Auntie Flo said any such thing..........so you are quite at liberty to hold me accountable for promulgating her opinions!

Methinks you are into making mountains out of molehills. :confused

Angela
27-Aug-07, 15:43
seems odd that poor Julie has even had her 'myspace' checked out!![disgust]

Not really, brie.

Julie posted a link to her myspace blog and invited us Orgers to look at it.

No need to employ any Private Eyes at all! :roll:

BRIE
27-Aug-07, 16:03
Not really, brie.

Julie posted a link to her myspace blog and invited us Orgers to look at it.

No need to employ any Private Eyes at all! :roll:

sorry I missed that! must of been a different thread.:confused
Dont think Julie really needs to explain her actions though.but well done Julie for being so polite!

connieb19
27-Aug-07, 16:11
Handbags at dawn here. :eek:

helenwyler
27-Aug-07, 16:52
Handbags at dawn here. :eek:

Dawn seems a bit early (or late) to me:)!

jsherris
27-Aug-07, 17:50
Gawd blimey...

A girl does some housework & has a quiet day, a lie-in, chats to the opinionated one, & potters round chatting to the neighbours... usual daily things.... then logs on here to have a nosey... and finds this!
Now, stoppitt, all of you!

Yes, I have often/do often post Andy's opinions on controversial topics - you wanna know why? Simple. It's because to be quite honest, I don't really have many strong views about too many things in life anymore. I used to be very idealistic, but all through my life there have been so many knocks, that I understood a long time ago that we all have to take a deep breath and try to get through our little lives as best as we can and hope to God that the knocks and mental scars do not cut too deep or have an everlasting effect on us.
In fact at this point in my life I am usually so middle of the road about many many things, that I am stood firmly on the white line.
Saying that, when I DO have a strong view about something, I can be very stubborn and not be budged whatsoever.

So... Andy has strong views about.... well, just about everything - and can be quite vocal too. So he tells me how the world should be, and I'm left feeling confused. So I go find some other opinions & eagerly listen or read - after all, there's a lot of folk out there with a lot more knowledge than me.... sometimes I've even been known to overhaul my opinion because someone has provided the evidence that proves me wrong.

Now, because there seems to be quite an issue over this, I'll stop - although it's going to be a hard habit to break! I forget that people on this forum don't know him & have never met us. As I said before, we've had several open weekends & met a lot of folk from the net. It's how we met back in 98. He doesn't join forums or chat sites now, because mainly he doesn't get time!

Right... the MySpace site.... yes I put a link on here - I thought it would be nice if any of you would want to see who you were chatting with - It has been the norm on other boards to pop your pics up & I had no reason to think otherwise.
If you want to go have a look at the blog too, well that's ok - it's only the ramblings from my head & it's a lot easier for me to jot them in a blog than to remember all the new things I've found out about - like tax breaks & the way things are done over in Ireland. I would use a pad, and often do, but notepads in this house tend to grow legs and spread themselves all over the house... meaning that I can never find the one I want when I want - I just thought a MySpace would be fun & it will also let the family & friends keep up once we've moved, without endless phone calls! That said, I've not written anything there for the last 9 days... but I'll catch it up later! (well, I will now!) http://www.myspace.com/juliesherris

Another point... Karia mentioned that we must live in a cosmopolitan area... yes we do - but the few people I've mentioned on here are really just the tip of the iceberg!
Oh, our houses have small back yards - but most of us use the fronts.. a lot of us have our plant pots and such & benches & garden ornaments - and in this day and age, we happily report that apart from an orange tree being stolen 3 years ago, nothing else gets touched! We all tend to converge out the front, and everyone knows everyone else - we're not just neighbours, we're friends. We get involved with each others lives & take pride in those friendships. A friend of mine has lived in his house nearly 2 miles away for the last 20 years, and can name his immediate neighbours, but not beyond. I'm not saying that it's wrong, but personally I find it quite sad - where have all our communities gone?

Anyway, I have asked Andy to log on & post - he uses the laptop (because he finds it easier than prising me off here!) & he made an account a while back - I hope he does - but I can already see the flames he'll provoke!

Now, you lot stop bickering amongst yourselves - life's too short for all this.
Yes, I felt a little slighted when Karia inferred that my tales, thoughts & life experiences were not sincere, but I assure you all they are real! And should anyone feel the need to doubt, I will be happy to provide my home number pop it on speaker phone with Andy, Kerri & Nikki & we'll tell you some tales that would positively make your hair curl!
Alternatively, the open house is extended to all - wherever in the world we may be - if any of you find yourselves in our corner of the world, please, feel free to come visit - it's certainly never boring!!

That's it, I'm done - phew! All that for that.
Julie
x

karia
27-Aug-07, 18:07
Hi Julie,

Welcome back...it has been odd having this discussion without you!:confused

I am glad that Changilass has cleared up the accountability issues and I am sure that you do have many opinions of your own which are well worthy of discussion...despite what you think!

I look forward to many an interesting exchange!:D

And I'll be able to give Andy a bollocking in his own right without you taking the flak for it.

All the best

Karia

jsherris
27-Aug-07, 18:15
And I'll be able to give Andy a bollocking in his own right without you taking the flak for it......

karia.... one of my most-spoken sayings is that he might be an idiot*, but he's MY idiot!
So feel free to yank him apart, but try not to be too hard on him, after all, he's only a man & a pretend geordie 'Boro lad at that! ;)

Julie

* - Substitue any rude word here...... Obviously, I can't post what word I normally use - it'll get the mods telling me off! [lol]

bluelady
27-Aug-07, 18:29
[quote=jsherris;263052]Gawd blimey..
Now, you lot stop bickering amongst yourselves - life's too short for all this.

Julie as i say, Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly!
Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably
And never regret anything that made you smile, (or anything you put on e org.)

you go for it girl ! :D

Dadie
27-Aug-07, 20:15
oh no am i going to get in trouble??:confused

i kinda hijacked my hubbys account ..

he didnt seem to use it much anyway,,,

easier than setting up my own one ..

XXX

Moira
27-Aug-07, 22:23
Gee Whiz Girls. I'm glad you sorted all that out before I came online tonight.

I'm off now to catch up on the "great scone debate" :D

Torvaig
27-Aug-07, 22:38
"Now, because there seems to be quite an issue over this, I'll stop - although it's going to be a hard habit to break! I forget that people on this forum don't know him & have never met us. As I said before, we've had several open weekends & met a lot of folk from the net. It's how we met back in 98. He doesn't join forums or chat sites now, because mainly he doesn't get time!"

But Julie, you can't stop now; I feel I've gotten to know Andy very well and I like his forthright views!;)

jsherris
27-Aug-07, 22:45
But Julie, you can't stop now; I feel I've gotten to know Andy very well and I like his forthright views!

Oh my gawd... he has sat reading through various threads this evening & generally laughing - Torvaig I daren't even begin to tell you what he's said about some of the comments - especially those about child abusers! Even I was cringing at the some of the comments!
Anyway, he said he was going to post - then said he was going to write....
"I have very definite views.. And I think.... (insert relevant view) because that's what my wife tells me to think!"
I've told him he wouldn't DARE... because he has to live with me & at some point.. he has to sleep...
[lol]

Moira
27-Aug-07, 23:04
Julie - let Andy post. I'm sure he will read the forum rules before he does :)

Big Jean
28-Aug-07, 00:17
Like Torvaig, I too like to hear Andy's views, yours also by the way . Keeps me smiling at times, both the posts and the responses ! Look forward to hearing from Andy himself ..... I think !

Lolabelle
28-Aug-07, 00:32
Well, I must say that at least this slight disagreement between some of us, had got everyone firing, and gives me something interesting to read. :evil It's good that this happened. Bit of fun for all of us.