PDA

View Full Version : What do you call them?

Moira
26-Aug-07, 21:54
I thought this deserved a whole new thread. Well, actually, my reply was taking the op totally off-topic.

Jsherris wrote :-
"I always have problems with bread rolls.
In the south, they are rolls, slightly flattened, then they are baps...
Here they are barms, whatever size or shape - in Middlesbrough, they are bread buns, although a bun is something you put icing & cherry on top of!
In Leeds you would probably ask for a bread cake. At a baker’s in Derby you might be offered acob and on a visit to Coventry you might ask for a batch.
Tea Cakes are the norm in certain parts of Lancashire - no currants though! And around Tameside, they are known as muffins....

I'm sticking to sandwiches!"

northener
26-Aug-07, 22:01
Flat, round, no additives - teacake! ( W Yorks)

Moira
26-Aug-07, 22:08
I can now reply to Julie.

Jsherris - you'd be even more confused up here in Caithness. "Morning rolls" are usually of a denser texture, more well fired & the ones you'd probably like to fill with bacon etc, "Softies" are great for lunch/sandwiches anytime but if you wanted to be really posh you'd go for "bridge rolls" - they are oblong, slightly sweeter and have a shiny top. My hubby comes from a small village in Caithness - they called them all "baps" - I guess it depended on which type of "roll" was left when the Bakery van arrived.

Sausage rolls are pastry filled with sausage meat but..... in Glasgow sausage rolls are hotdogs. I discovered this a few years ago when my Mum asked for 6 sausage rolls in a Glasgow bakery and was asked "Do you want onions or sauce" :eek: (they may have wised up by now). Apparently, they call them "meat rolls" down there.

Scones are different too - varied - but usually requiring a sweet filling rather than a savoury one......

Julie - you need to google the Irish equivalents before you move.

karia
26-Aug-07, 22:11

The good ones have a look of a lampshade about them...don't you think?;)

Karia

Moira
26-Aug-07, 22:13

"Teacake" to me has to be a chocolate one - biscuit base, marshmallow top, covered in chocolate. I buy them in Tesco's. :Razz

JAWS
26-Aug-07, 22:20
Now you've started something! I've known disputes about such serious matters end up with people having to be restrained from committing acts of violence.

For some reason the names can vary between places less than 10 miles apart and in different directions. You can have four areas within that sort of area and have four completely different names for each.

During the time I was dragged up in Preston I never heard anybody mention "Baps" yet the name is quite common here in Caithness and also in certain parts of Southern England.
There seems to be no rhyme or reason which links the places using the same names or indeed different names in places close by.

JAWS
26-Aug-07, 22:27
Moira, Glasgow has it right! "Hotdog" is an imported American name for a Sausage roll. They were always called Sausage Rolls in Lancashire as well.

Angela
26-Aug-07, 22:41
We used to get these delicious things called "butteries" in Aberdeen, very flaky, just yummy when toasted. Probably very bad for you! :( I've seen them labelled as "Aberdeen rolls" in Tesco.

Then there's the different kinds of pancakes, crumpets and muffins...mmmm....and something called a pikelet that I haven't quite got to grips with! :confused

jsherris
26-Aug-07, 22:45
Ok, I never can resist a good google... although I use Ixquick myself....

So, in Ireland you don't get loaves... you get Batch bread or pan bread... Pan bread is more like a usual loaf.. Batch bread looks like a darker top crust....

And then we're back to good old Rolls! Now I've spent 9 years asking for a barm cake, I go back to rolls when we move!

But from various websites i also found....
Baps traditionally made in Scotland are not sweet, unlike the Irish version which may contain currants.
Ireland is famed for its soda bread more commonly known as 'cake' or 'fahl'.

One soda bread we will definitely be trying is: Guinness Wholegrain Bread - looks delicious!

And then I found.....
Ulster Fry. Popular as its name suggests in the North of Ireland no visitor to Ireland should miss this traditional meal usually served as a breakfast but often eaten at any time of the day. The meal consists of the following Bacon, Sausages, Black Pudding, White Pudding, Mushrooms, Tomato and Eggs served with Soda Bread and Potato Farl
WHAT is WHITE pudding?????

And why is it when I go looking for answers, I find even more questions?? :eek:

karia
26-Aug-07, 22:50
Oh Angela!

Aberdeen butteries!:eek:

The best and most cholesterol compromising pastry on the planet..Mmm!

The flaky buttery crumbly .....ness!;)

karia

grumpyhippo
26-Aug-07, 22:54
I've seen a supermarket offer 'well fired rolls' for sale.
They just looked burnt tae me!!!

Angela
26-Aug-07, 22:55
Oh Angela!

Aberdeen butteries!

The best and most cholesterol compromising pastry on the planet..Mmm!

The flaky buttery crumbly .....ness!

karia

I know, karia, they're so utterly mouth-watering and moreish they just have to be bad for you! :eek: A worthy self-denying slice of wholemeal toast is just not the same! :(

grumpyhippo
26-Aug-07, 23:03
WHAT is WHITE pudding?????

:eek:

I think its the same thing as a meally pudding. (high in fibre low in almost every thing else) best eaten with lots of pepper.

In Plymouth they do a similar delicacy called a Groats (or Groat ) pudding....... opposite end of the country I wonder if there is any connection.

Rheghead
26-Aug-07, 23:27
In south Cumbria (where I hail from)

Bun=any round bread-like structure no more than 5" diam

Teacake=any round bread like structure no more than 5" diam but with currants in it.

Bap=a neo-posh/nancy term (from the south of England) for a bun-like thing that is bigger than 5".

Muffin=a sweet oversized scone with currants in it.

Crumpet=a round doughy flat thing with swiss-cheese holes in it that tastes good toasted.

Roll=an intimate act performed in towers of hay...

Moira
26-Aug-07, 23:30
We used to get these delicious things called "butteries" in Aberdeen, very flaky, just yummy when toasted. Probably very bad for you! I've seen them labelled as "Aberdeen rolls" in Tesco.

Then there's the different kinds of pancakes, crumpets and muffins...mmmm....and something called a pikelet that I haven't quite got to grips with! :confused

Were they from the bakery in Cullen? It's a wee bit further north - just round the coast from Aberdeen - ask Percy Toboggan.

I've not heard of a pikelet either, unless it's a baby pike :confused

Moira
26-Aug-07, 23:37
In south Cumbria (where I hail from)

Bun=any round bread-like structure no more than 5" diam

Teacake=any round bread like structure no more than 5" diam but with currants in it.

Bap=a neo-posh/nancy term (from the south of England) for a bun-like thing that is bigger than 5".

Muffin=a sweet oversized scone with currants in it.

Crumpet=a round doughy flat thing with swiss-cheese holes in it that tastes good toasted.

Roll=an intimate act performed in towers of hay...

Thanks Rheghead. Your contribution is appreciated but the lady in me prevents me from responding.

Torvaig
27-Aug-07, 09:41
We used to get these delicious things called "butteries" in Aberdeen, very flaky, just yummy when toasted. Probably very bad for you! :( I've seen them labelled as "Aberdeen rolls" in Tesco.

Another name for butteries is rowie, but no matter what they are called, they are delicious warmed ever so slightly and loadsa butter.....

Angela
27-Aug-07, 09:44
Were they from the bakery in Cullen? It's a wee bit further north - just round the coast from Aberdeen - ask Percy Toboggan.

I've not heard of a pikelet either, unless it's a baby pike :confused

Moira, I know (and love) Cullen, but the butteries came from a bakery in the city. I think the "pikelet" may come from south of the border...it's not a small fish btw!....something vaguely in the Scottish crumpet/pancake line...? :confused

Bobinovich
27-Aug-07, 09:44

Oh happy day when I re-discovered these marvels in Safeway many years ago. We'd eaten them during our time in Englandshire but no sign of them when we moved up here.

There must have been 15 packets on the shelf - my pal (also an ex-Englishman) & I started stuffing them into our baskets as fast as we could and this poor wifie close by thrust her hand in and got one - almost loosing said hand in the fray!!!

Then she turns and asks "What are they?" - she'd only seen the frenzy going on and figured she'd better nab one first and ask the question after.

We recommended toasting over an open fire (or a grill if no fire available) and then employing a large slab of butter and devouring whilst still hot.

I dunno if she enjoyed them but I had a packet (8) for my tea that night LOL!

Fluff
27-Aug-07, 09:57
pancakes down here are like crumpets, but abit more soggy.
oh how i miss proper pancakes!!

Lavenderblue2
27-Aug-07, 10:29

I thought they called them 'rowies' (spelling may well be wrong) in Aberdeenshire Angela but whatever, my mouth is watering - the Cliff Bakery in Wick make two kinds of butteries, a flakey and an old fashioned - the old fashioned are to die for. My husband is in Wick just now - I'd better get him on the mobile quick!

LB

BRIE
27-Aug-07, 10:33
where i was brought up it was "barm cakes".

Lavenderblue2
27-Aug-07, 10:33
Sorry, I've just noticed that rowie has been mentioned before - silly me, I was too busy drooling.

LB:)

Anne x
27-Aug-07, 11:07
A Roll was something eaten at breakfast or a bacon butty preferably fresh from the baker in the morning

Bap to me slightly sweeter tomato -cheese bap

Cookie,Pancake or Scone put jam on etc

Butteries warmed loaded we fat and dripping with butter mmmm

but my favourite for now Muffins filled with bluberries mmm

squidge
27-Aug-07, 12:24
Rochdale

Tea Cakes - plain round soft white bread roll

Currant Teacake - sweet round roll with currants in it

Muffin - flat dense white bread with a dimple in it

Oven Bottom - Similar to a muffin but cooked on the bottom of the oven.

oven bottoms are my favourites

paris
27-Aug-07, 12:40
Here in lincs we have a bread loaf not a loaf of bread ! Pikelets are small pancakes.....toast then add something sweet on top..yummmmmmmmm yum ! jan x

lady penelope
27-Aug-07, 17:45
You are making me drool. I don't eat a lot of bread products - they make me bloated!
I love pancakes with butter and jam, white morning rolls , softies
I'd better stop I'm getting hungry.:)

dunderheed
27-Aug-07, 17:49
moira a sausage roll is not like a hotdog, you'll find that its slice in the roll as opposed to "links".

a roll is a roll however in ayrshire where iwas born and brought up they came in many guises, well fired, morning, bread, finger, bridge anfd dessert.

nanoo
27-Aug-07, 18:04
Ahhh Dunderheed, you take me back years. Many a roll my other half brought in straight from the bakehouse when he came off his nightshift, well fired for me was delicious. Also miss mince and onion pies. Bakers up here only do plain mince pies. Other than that, i love the place.:lol:[lol]

dunderheed
27-Aug-07, 18:34
nanoo , imo it had to be a shorts onion pie only surpassed now by brownings famous prize winning killie pie.

karia
27-Aug-07, 19:53
Hi dunderheed,

Now pies are another kettle of fish!

...what wonderful pies you can get now...

... utterly disgusting but somehow fantastic ones..

The Macaroni cheese 'scotch pie' ....:D

...evil and wonderful at the same time!

A bit like Dermot O'Leary!;)

Karia

Ricco
27-Aug-07, 20:27
Big, flattened ones around Warrington area are called Stotties - brilliant if you are hungry. :D

Thumper
27-Aug-07, 21:04
In Peterhead they are called flouries.I remember going into a shop and asking for 6 rolls and they looked at me as if I had just spoken in some alien language :) gave up and went back to my brothers house where he told me to go back and ask for flouries and sure enough they gave me the 6 rolls I wanted ;) x

Moira
27-Aug-07, 22:59
moira a sausage roll is not like a hotdog <snip>

I know that dunderheed. My point was that when ordering sausage rolls in Glasgow, we were going to be sold what we, as Caithnessians, know as hotdogs. Come to think about it, I've not tasted a decent sausage roll since John & Rhona Houston retired. Their mince & onion pies were something else entirely.

Anyhow I digress.

Fluff - as you are living in Englandshire (I believe) try asking for "Scottish dropped scones" or, better still, get your Mum to send you the recipe for real Caithness pancakes and make your own. I have a "healthy" version of the age-old recipe - pm me if you want it. Crumpets are sad, flat things, full of holes - not much taste either.

Buttercup
28-Aug-07, 17:23
Wickers I know call rolls - scones.http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_6_2v.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYAXGB) But I keep forgetting to ask them what they call scones! http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_12_10.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYAXGB)

nanoo
28-Aug-07, 17:38
Ahh the killie pie. You do realise dunderheed that i'll not get them out of my head for weeks now. [lol]:lol:

helenwyler
28-Aug-07, 18:10
Ah! So many carbs, so little time...

Julie - we buy Irish Potato Farls down here, yummy with fry ups:).

Also, down here, my girls used to love 'Scotch Pancakes' - a sort of sweet dropscone type thingy..

dunderheed
28-Aug-07, 23:01
ah nanoo roll on the october school holidays, thats my next run down to top up my pies . :Razz