PDA

View Full Version : Beetles

rs 2k
26-Aug-07, 15:21
Hi

Is it just me or is there alot of beetles going about this year??

See them everywhere

Last night i was lying on bed watching a dvd and all of a sudden i felt like someone had put a fag out on my stomach and when i looked there was a beetle sitting there, i have never moved faster.....The little bleeder must of bit me, or whatever it is beetles do, it really hurt :( i had 2 small holes on my stomach

Couldn't sleep after that, i hate creepy crawlies all kinds, finally got to sleep about 5am

Mrs rs 2k

johno
26-Aug-07, 16:17
Hi

Is it just me or is there alot of beetles going about this year??

See them everywhere

Last night i was lying on bed watching a dvd and all of a sudden i felt like someone had put a fag out on my stomach and when i looked there was a beetle sitting there, i have never moved faster.....The little bleeder must of bit me, or whatever it is beetles do, it really hurt :( i had 2 small holes on my stomach

Couldn't sleep after that, i hate creepy crawlies all kinds, finally got to sleep about 5am

Mrs rs 2k
Hi, we have a plug in thing that fixes these insects. Since the wife first got it ive never seen a spider or an insect in the house. Think it works by some kind of ultra sound. Whatever makes it i dunno but it does work.

rs 2k
26-Aug-07, 16:40
Oh yes i have seen them on price drop channels etc and woolies

I must invest in 1

Wasn't sure if they would work or not, but u have convinced me :)

Cheers for that

Ash
26-Aug-07, 17:30
oh god mega itchy now!!!!

hate insects :eek:

WildChild
26-Aug-07, 19:39
Noticed a lot of them around our house too :eek: thanks for the info about the zapper thingy johno :D

lady penelope
26-Aug-07, 19:48
Eew! I'm gonna check my bed for weeks now. Your beetle could have been a bed bug. They can grow really big and give a burning bite.:eek:

percy toboggan
26-Aug-07, 19:51
As I watched the flickering embers of the peat fire in our holiday cottage last week I spied two of these jet black beetles scurrying about the solid wood floorboards. As one of the blighters approached my foot I lifted it and it crawled underneath. For a second I pondered my position of power. I could have snuffed out that beetles limited light right there and then. It occured to me I was only wearing socks.* Also, any firm downward pressure might have resulted in beetlejuice staining the wood, also a sticky mess to scrape up.It was quite large and glistened gloss against the overhead light.As it entered the shadow of my right foot it hesitated slightly, as though sensing imminent danger.

I never intended to kill the creature, but glowed with smug self-righteousness as I allowed the thing to continue its journey. It followed an ever more erratic path, the other one had disappeared from view but this one seemed to be on a mission. Up and down and from side to side in six legged overdrive. I pondered it's simple life, to feed, replicate and avoid being fed upon, or squashed. How long do they live I wonder.

Thank you for reminding me of another of my holiday memories.

* forgot to tek me slippers.

WeeBurd
26-Aug-07, 20:24
Eew! I'm gonna check my bed for weeks now. Your beetle could have been a bed bug. They can grow really big and give a burning bite.

I check my bed & ceiling every night for spiders. I don't check under it, because I KNOW there are spiders there and I'd never be able to sleep if I saw one but was unable to reach in to squash it <eeks>. My very lovely niece bought me a wonderful gift of a bug vacum, which basically sooks them up so you can let them go outside - I still get the goosebumps/cold sweats/ panic attack being so close to the blighters when they're still alive though, but it does effectively remove the problem [lol].

I still mind the night the daddy of all spiders was up in the corner of the ceiling, me climbing up onto the windowsill/bedside cabinet to poke it with the end of a broom to try and get it to move so I could vacum him, all the time trying not to wake up BabyBurdie who was sound asleep in her cot (well, she was when I started the performance!). He was so big, my bug vacum didn't have enough sook, and I had to balance precariously for about two minutes, holding this thing tight to the ceiling - I was terrified he'd fall and then I'd never be able to catch him. Ahhh, phobias, who'd have one :roll:...

lady penelope
26-Aug-07, 20:44
Weeburd, been there. I used to freeze to the spot or scream if I saw a spider.
I'm more scared of earwigs now. They really hurt!
Maybe thats what bit you rs 2K:eek:

Julia
26-Aug-07, 21:35
As I watched the flickering embers of the peat fire in our holiday cottage last week I spied two of these jet black beetles scurrying about the solid wood floorboards. As one of the blighters approached my foot I lifted it and it crawled underneath. For a second I pondered my position of power. I could have snuffed out that beetles limited light right there and then. It occured to me I was only wearing socks.* Also, any firm downward pressure might have resulted in beetlejuice staining the wood, also a sticky mess to scrape up.It was quite large and glistened gloss against the overhead light.As it entered the shadow of my right foot it hesitated slightly, as though sensing imminent danger.

I never intended to kill the creature, but glowed with smug self-righteousness as I allowed the thing to continue its journey. It followed an ever more erratic path, the other one had disappeared from view but this one seemed to be on a mission. Up and down and from side to side in six legged overdrive. I pondered it's simple life, to feed, replicate and avoid being fed upon, or squashed. How long do they live I wonder.

Have you ever thought of taking up writing? You have a natural talent it seems

My house has had too many stripey visitors lately, I think there must be a wasp's nest nearby, I'm not bothered about many things but I don't like wasps since being stung 3 years ago. I've one of those battery charged bats (woohoo for ebay) and take great pleasure in 'frying' intruders. Depending on the angle of attack they sometimes spark a bit, some even go in a puff of smoke! Don't get me wrong I am a dedicated animal lover, I will rescue spiders, moths etc.. but as for wasps and disease ridden bluebottles - let them feel the wrath of my bat!

corgiman
26-Aug-07, 21:56
you can also get those bats from the (whatsits)?? shop in the arcade in Thurso, bit scary until you get used to the bang though:lol:

percy toboggan
26-Aug-07, 22:12
[quote=Julia;262634]Have you ever thought of taking up writing? You have a natural talent it seems

quote]
Thank you so much. If many more people tell me that I'll begin to believe it. I do enjoy lexical embroidery more and more as I approach late middle age.

I applaud your selectivity by the way, wasps and bluebottles are quite horrible things. Do wasps serve any purpose?

Dadie
26-Aug-07, 22:12
i dont do spiders i have to get my hubby to remove them but there seems to be lots of the REALLY BIG ONES at the moment...eeek...every box we are unpacking seems to have at least 1 in ..i hope we havent moved them out with us....

rs 2k
26-Aug-07, 23:22
Maybe thats what bit you rs 2K:eek:

No it was definately a beetle, a big black 1, it was starying me in the face :eek:

I am going to buy 1 of those pest repellants now

Here's some if anyone wants them aswell

http://www.bid.tv/ProductDescriptionPage.aspx?Id=1843199&Cat=6&Sub=15&Type=Categories

WeeBurd
26-Aug-07, 23:43
Oooh, we bought the ones in Woolies for keeping the mice away - I didn't realise it stopped all the other beasties too...

Liz
26-Aug-07, 23:50
Oooh, we bought the ones in Woolies for keeping the mice away - I didn't realise it stopped all the other beasties too...

You have to get a different one for the wee creepy crawlies I think.

I have one for the mice and, as far as I'm aware, they only work for rodents.

Had a good laugh at your stories. I can deal with spiders but most others give me the creeps but I hate killing them. Might have to invest in another plug in.

Is there any available to keep some two legged pests away?!!!:lol:

johno
26-Aug-07, 23:53

Had a good laugh at your stories. I can deal with spiders but most others give me the creeps but I hate killing them. Might have to invest in another plug in.

Is there any available to keep some two legged pests away?!!!:lol:
yep. ive a a good over & under 12 bore that,ll do the trick. [lol]

Rheghead
26-Aug-07, 23:54
I saw what looked like a Colorado beetle in the garden today, are we still supposed to report this to the police these days??

WeeBurd
26-Aug-07, 23:58

Is there any available to keep some two legged pests away?!!!

I don't like killing them either, but I canna sleep safe if I know there's one in the room, weird I know. Funnily enough the beetles/forkies/slaters/moths, I can relocate no bother at all. Considering I live in a very old house, you'd think I'd have become used to dealing with anything that crawled whatsoever[lol].

As for the two legged pests, simply carry the same plug in devices as you'd use for rats etc, you just have to get abit more creative as to where you plug them in to give the blighters the short sharp shift;), lol!

WeeBurd
27-Aug-07, 00:00
I saw what looked like a Colorado beetle in the garden today, are we still supposed to report this to the police these days??

Are they the neds of the beetle world? That's all we need, I'll never get to sleep now, Rheg!!! [lol]

Liz
27-Aug-07, 00:05
yep. ive a a good over & under 12 bore that,ll do the trick. [lol]

Bit drastic Johno!!! lol

Liz
27-Aug-07, 00:09
I don't like killing them either, but I canna sleep safe if I know there's one in the room, weird I know. Funnily enough the beetles/forkies/slaters/moths, I can relocate no bother at all. Considering I live in a very old house, you'd think I'd have become used to dealing with anything that crawled whatsoever[lol].

As for the two legged pests, simply carry the same plug in devices as you'd use for rats etc, you just have to get abit more creative as to where you plug them in to give the blighters the short sharp shift;), lol!

I know what you mean! No afraid I can only deal with spiders or slaters. The rest give me the shivers. Haven't seen many beasties for a while though so not sure whether it is to do with the new air conditioning system I installed?

I like your creative use for the plug in's for the two legged beasties!!!lol

Metalattakk
27-Aug-07, 00:37
[quote=Julia;262634]I applaud your selectivity by the way, wasps and bluebottles are quite horrible things. Do wasps serve any purpose?

Wasps serve exactly the same purpose as us humans - both are here merely to propagate the species.

I had two wasps in the house today - smacked the first one as it was on the wife's leg and she was almost apoplectic (and the chance to slap the wife's leg with a rolled up copy of 'Classic Rock' was too good an opportunity to refuse!) and let the second one out the window to terrorise someone else.

percy toboggan
27-Aug-07, 07:19
I remember my mother finding one in the late fifties - she worked at a greengrocery shop. The Police were notified - even the Min of Ag., I think. These critters can still blight potato crops but I'd imagine any Police reponse might be slightly jaundiced today given everything else going on.

duncan1969
27-Aug-07, 09:22
My Wife Phones Me Wherever I Am I Got To Come Home And Remove The Spider She Will Stay In Another Room Until I Remove It

percy toboggan
27-Aug-07, 10:25
[quote=percy toboggan;262671]

Wasps serve exactly the same purpose as us humans - both are here merely to propagate the species.

'exactly' the same purpose?
If we are here for any purpose at all beyond reproduction -
and I feel we most certainly are, otherwise homosexuals would not be born that way would they? I'm sure many are as I consider it often to be a natural phenomenon rather than nurture or a lifestyle choice.
How would you explain their 'purpose' in life if the sexual act with an opposite sex person holds no appeal? Surely their lives can still have a purpose in the wider scheme of things.

Perhaps there are homosexual wasps too? Which still leaves the 'sole purpose' theory a little out of kilter with common sense in this enlightened age.

I don't want to divert this a homo-bashing/applauding thread as it's all been done before. I mean to illustrate my counter argument, that's all.

Ricco
27-Aug-07, 20:33

Hi, Rheghead. I think you are still supposed to report it but I think it might be Defra now. I think that it is another thing the police have opted out of.

Oh, and we have had a big increase in the number of cob-web spiders and woodlice. They're everywhere.

Metalattakk
27-Aug-07, 21:20
I'm sure many are as I consider it often to be a natural phenomenon rather than nurture or a lifestyle choice.

"Often", and not "always", percy? Some seeds of doubt there in your mind? :D

SNOWDOG
27-Aug-07, 21:52
Havent seen many beetles this year, but our back lobby is fair heavin with slaters, the cat dispatches most of them tho!

Andrew C
27-Aug-07, 23:56
its the flies I can't seem to get rid of!

Aaldtimer
28-Aug-07, 02:15
We had a fly the last couple of days that was driving the dog barmy. A quick burst of Cillit Bang sorted that problem!

paris
28-Aug-07, 08:39
Have you ever thought of taking up writing? You have a natural talent it seems

My house has had too many stripey visitors lately, I think there must be a wasp's nest nearby, I'm not bothered about many things but I don't like wasps since being stung 3 years ago. I've one of those battery charged bats (woohoo for ebay) and take great pleasure in 'frying' intruders. Depending on the angle of attack they sometimes spark a bit, some even go in a puff of smoke! Don't get me wrong I am a dedicated animal lover, I will rescue spiders, moths etc.. but as for wasps and disease ridden bluebottles - let them feel the wrath of my bat!
Totally agree there Julia, he has a brilliant way of telling a story , good on you Percy ! Jan x

Metalattakk
28-Aug-07, 09:55
We had a fly the last couple of days that was driving the dog barmy. A quick burst of Cillit Bang sorted that problem!

Sorted the fly, or the dog? :eek:

Anne x
28-Aug-07, 21:43
I have just been in the bath 2 beetles crawling along the floor tiles !!!!
I have a newish house must be the weather etc exterminate !!!!

JammyDodger69
29-Aug-07, 11:37
I was standing talking to a mate at my car when I heard what sounded like a stone being dropped onto my car turned out to be a beetle, was a strange one tho, funny shaped and almost pearlescent in colour. Didnt like being touched, bloomin thing hissed at us.

lady penelope
29-Aug-07, 22:44
Maybe a cockroach?
Some people like to keep them as pets.They give me the heebyjeebys!
In Aberdeen there is an exotic pet shop and sell weird insects:eek: