PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh Military Tattoo

laguna2
25-Aug-07, 19:17
It was on BBC1 tonight and I wasn't going to watch it - but I am so glad I did.

1,000 performers from United States to Trinidad and Tobago. The girls from Tai Pei, the pipes and drums. The there was the pipes and electric guitar with a fantastic rendition of Everything I do. And they all joined in with Auld Lang Syne - absolutely fanstastic show!

The finale of the lone piper with the tribute to Tumbledown was tear jerking.

Next year? Well, I hope to see it live.

Excellent production - well done to all involved!

Anne x
25-Aug-07, 19:30
great as ever but this years show was just fabulous

brings a tear to the eye and pulls the heart strings :)

squeezy
26-Aug-07, 11:11
laguna - just a word of warning if you want to see it live next year - tickets normally go on sale around October time and sell out very very quickly - so I would recommend keeping an eye out!

laguna2
26-Aug-07, 11:13
Thanks for the warning squeezy.

Will keep an eye out for tickets going on sale

Lolabelle
26-Aug-07, 11:14
We should get it on telly over here one day, will have to keep an eye out for it. :D

telfordstar
26-Aug-07, 13:43
my mum went to the tattoo a few years ago and totally loved it she said it was well worth going to. a good tip is to book accomodation as soon as you book your tickets they went self catering as the hotels and b&bs were quite expensive during the tattoo.

nanoo
26-Aug-07, 16:27
Hi Laguna2, like you i watched the tattoo last night (as i do every year) and it was absolutely great. I originaly come from down the line so my other half and I and a few friends used to go regularly to the tattoo and if you are serious about going laguna2, i highly recomend it. It's good on the telly but NOTHING beats being there soaking in the atmosphere of it all. Well worth every penny.;)

laguna2
26-Aug-07, 17:42
Thanks for all the advice folks - it is greatly appreciated!

I have a very vague memory of going to the Tatto with my mother and grandmother - don't know what age I was, but I think still in Primary School. I remember thinking I was sitting very high up - and I can remember the sound of the bagpipes!

golach
26-Aug-07, 17:47
Laguna
add this to your favourites and register for next years tickets, when they become available
http://www.edinburgh-tattoo.co.uk/index.html

laguna2
26-Aug-07, 19:29
Thanks golach - much appreciated :D

Fraser Macleod
26-Aug-07, 21:34
The Tattoos excellent, i hope you get tickets. I was in it this year during the finale to celebrate the centenary of scouting and I'd now recomend seeing it to anyone who ever gets the chance

dunderheed
27-Aug-07, 16:21
personally i enjoy the tattoo however , you knew there was a however coming didnt you!!

surely although they were very good the girls of tai pei and the commonwealth dancers make a mockery of the title?
you know MILITARY TATTOO?

Andrew C
27-Aug-07, 23:47
Yeah, I caught it too...thoroughly enjoyed it...ages since I've seen it. I think the variety of the 'guest' acts add a bit extra...it would get very 'same-ish' without it. It still has all the good ingredients for a good Tattoo. The highland dancers aren't exactly military either, but they've always been part o the Tattoo.

Some of the background lighting was great, the way they projected different light patterns on to the castle. Like others were saying, I'd love to see it live.

Andrew C

golach
28-Aug-07, 09:17
What the BBC show are edited highlights, not the whole show. There is a heavy military presence in the whole performance, and as most of our troops are based abroad on active service, that is why there seems to be a lack of Military at the Tattoo, and personally I liked the lassies from Tai Pei.
The earlier Tattoos had soldiers from our Scottish Regiments doing the dancing, my own brother appeared when he served in the Black Watch in the 60's, alas we do not have the Servicemen in sufficient numbers to do these type of tasks now a days.

KILTIECAULDBUM
28-Aug-07, 09:41
I don't suppose anyone recorded it & could put it onto a dvd? (I'll supply the blank dvd!!)

Missed the whole thing due to our own "Tattoo" up here, well the massed Pipe Bands in Thurso actually, lol.
It was well received too by all accounts..?

Anne x
28-Aug-07, 10:54
I don't suppose anyone recorded it & could put it onto a dvd? (I'll supply the blank dvd!!)

Missed the whole thing due to our own "Tattoo" up here, well the massed Pipe Bands in Thurso actually, lol.
It was well received too by all accounts..?

you can buy the dvd from www.edinburgh-tattoo.co.uk (http://www.edinburgh-tattoo.co.uk) sorry I have erased mine

brandy
28-Aug-07, 12:10
we went to the tatto one year .. it was before the kids were born so several years ago now. but it was one of the greatest things ive seen!
i loved the whole thing!!
it was so well done and to be a military procession was hauntingly beautiful