PDA

View Full Version : School Subjects

Jenni
25-Aug-07, 13:32
My son has just gone into 5th year at Thurso High School and had originally chosen higher graphics as one of his subjects for the forthcoming year. He has now been told that not enough pupils are interested in this and it is therefore not worth holding a class. I think the graphic teacher may have left and a new one starts in September. My son was given a form for me to sign to say I was giving him permission to change from graphics to Religious Education (apparently that was the only other subject available). I have no objection to people studying R.E but it will be of absolutely no use to my son regarding the type of career/job he will be looking for. This means he will be wasting a couple of hours each week as well as not being able to achieve higher graphics.
Has anyone had a similar experience and is there anyway of resolving this? I am refusing to give my permission at this stage.

Jenni

mccaugm
25-Aug-07, 13:36
My son has just gone into 5th year at Thurso High School and had originally chosen higher graphics as one of his subjects for the forthcoming year. He has now been told that not enough pupils are interested in this and it is therefore not worth holding a class. I think the graphic teacher may have left and a new one starts in September. My son was given a form for me to sign to say I was giving him permission to change from graphics to Religious Education (apparently that was the only other subject available). I have no objection to people studying R.E but it will be of absolutely no use to my son regarding the type of career/job he will be looking for. This means he will be wasting a couple of hours each week as well as not being able to achieve higher graphics.
Has anyone had a similar experience and is there anyway of resolving this? I am refusing to give my permission at this stage.

Jenni

Could the college help out with this - it's worth asking???

young_fishin_neep
25-Aug-07, 13:38
when i was in 4th year at the high school (last year) i was told i would have to do r.e but i turned round and said it would be no use to me and would my mum be able to write a letter to say that she does not wish for me to do the subject, in which i was told that the school does not like pupils not doin r.e but i could try and the deputy head would consider it, therefore i got my mum to write the letter and all went well for me and i was given two free periods a week to study

kaz xxxxx

young_fishin_neep
25-Aug-07, 13:41

the only thing is with asking the college to help is it all depends on what periods this is over and what courses are available for him to join, also on some occaisions you would have to be taken out of another subject during that day to go to the college wich isnt that handy when your in 5th year looking at doin highers

i think i chose the easy option of just goin straight up to college, after all the hassle i have had at the school i didnt want to stay on any longer

kaz xxxxx

BRIE
25-Aug-07, 13:46
my son had same problem! hes just gone into 5th year at wick high & a couple of the subjects he chose had to be changed.hes now taking electronics which he has no interest in whatsoever!

Bobinovich
25-Aug-07, 17:47
Whatever you do stick to your guns! As YFN says a couple of extra study periods is more useful than studying a subject which is of no use (or no interest) to him.

If he's set on Higher Graphics then yes it may be worth approaching the college - maybe along with the others who wanted to do the same subject - and see if he/they can at least participate in the coursework, even if there's no actual qualification at the end of it. He may at least qualify for an independent module or two which always looks good on a CV.

Alternatively if he's interested enough then your son may be willing to do a nightclass at college towards something useful and, with the schools permission and depending on his other classes, can use the study periods towards that.

Jenni
25-Aug-07, 19:52
Thanks for the responses

I think I will write/telephone the school and as you say it would be better to have extra study periods where he could either study or perhaps do his homework or something in.
I may also try and see if I can find out who the other pupils were that also wanted to do graphics and maybe their parents would back me up.

cheers everyone
Jenni

Mr_Me19
26-Aug-07, 14:59

Yes they can. In fact Mr Bruce is in the process of getting the classes sorted out right now.

EDDIE
26-Aug-07, 22:56
R.E what waste of time.what is the point in off the lad doing Re if hes not interested in it What about if he can do graphics online learning or open learning.Or as pointed out by some one else the college.

sm@rtyp@nts
27-Aug-07, 17:38
Im in my fifth year at Wick High, and although my choice form went through without a hitch, one of my friends had a similar problem. She had chosen Higher Chemistry in a column which not very many people chose it in, there was only about 4 or 5 in her class and it shortly dropped to just 3 because most of the 6th years left for University. The only reason they are now keeping the class is because some pupils opted to change from my chemistry class to hers to keep the numbers up. They had to change one of their subjects, but they were quite happy to.