PDA

View Full Version : edinburgh accommodation

rainbow
25-Aug-07, 09:26
I have a room in a flat in Edinburgh to rent out, ideal for students and also Caithnessians. If you want more info please pm me.

The Pepsi Challenge
25-Aug-07, 15:21
How much is the rent on this place? Or are you another rich, absentee landlord ripping off poor students who come to Edinburgh unable to find affordable accommodation? Curious.

rainbow
26-Aug-07, 12:57
My son is in the flat with two friends - they are students and are looking for a room mate to make up the rent. I am certainly no rich landlord, just a broke students mother!!

Lolabelle
26-Aug-07, 13:27
How much is the rent on this place? Or are you another rich, absentee landlord ripping off poor students who come to Edinburgh unable to find affordable accommodation? Curious.

Don't hold back there Pepsi challenge, tell us what you really think!

The Pepsi Challenge
26-Aug-07, 14:45
My son is in the flat with two friends - they are students and are looking for a room mate to make up the rent. I am certainly no rich landlord, just a broke students mother!!

Sorry, was just asking. I see too many people getting ripped off in this city. Am sure you'll find someone pretty swiftly.

orkneylass
26-Aug-07, 16:00
Hey Pepsi, that was a pretty aggressive and presumptuous post - had I got a child about to go to Uni I would have seen the offer as really positive!

Tristan
26-Aug-07, 16:06
If you pull in a few other threads that had themes of rising house prices, rising interest rates and the cost of running a business then you would know why rent is so high in Edinburgh compared to Caithness.

The Pepsi Challenge
26-Aug-07, 16:39
Do you live, or have lived, in Edinburgh during the past 10 years, Tristan? If so, you'll know that it's not just uprising interest rates that price people out of not only buying, but renting anywhere that doesn't resemble a rabbit hutch. I've lived here for 13 years and could tell you story upon story of landlords ripping off desperate people. Here's one such radge landlord: http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=624252007

Tristan
26-Aug-07, 16:51
Yes I have, why?

Torvaig
26-Aug-07, 16:54
Not wishing to offend anyone whose offspring were well brought up and are reasonably tidy and clean but maybe rents are expensive to offset the cost of cleaning up, redecorating and replacing broken furnishings after SOME tenants!

The Pepsi Challenge
26-Aug-07, 16:54
............Above ^

The Pepsi Challenge
26-Aug-07, 17:00
Not wishing to offend anyone whose offspring were well brought up and are reasonably tidy and clean but maybe rents are expensive to offset the cost of cleaning up, redecorating and replacing broken furnishings after SOME tenants!

Granted, but it's a lot more cynical than that I'm afraid.

connieb19
26-Aug-07, 17:04
............Above ^He's earning £1000 a month for 5 flats, dosn't really sound like he's ripping anyone off. :confused

Fluff
26-Aug-07, 17:05
i think its more that he is living in a flat which are meant to be for people who can't afford much.

Tristan
26-Aug-07, 17:15
Do you live, or have lived, in Edinburgh during the past 10 years, Tristan? If so, you'll know that it's not just uprising interest rates that price people out of not only buying, but renting anywhere that doesn't resemble a rabbit hutch. I've lived here for 13 years and could tell you story upon story of landlords ripping off desperate people. Here's one such radge landlord: http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=624252007

If your point he he should not have his subsidised flat I would agree. The landlord in question seems to be a good candidate for Anne Widdecombe and her benefit cheats thread that was posted earlier.

Rents do vary depending on the area as do housing costs. I think a three bedroom flat on or near the meadows sells for around £250,000 today. Assuming you were renting to students at £300 a room (which was the start of this thread) even on an interest only bases the maximum mortgage you would be allowed would be around £150,000 which means you would have to come up with a £100,000 deposit. At that you would only make around £200 a month, not a great return but I would guess the real money would be in rising property prices.