PDA

View Full Version : If you could change one thing....

jsherris
24-Aug-07, 21:56
So, if you could go back in time - to any time, what ONE thing would YOU change about our world?
The only rule is that you are NOT to have any direct personal gain! (So, NO, you can't go back 1 week with the latest lottery numbers!)

You know what I'd change? I'd go way way back & make everyone in the world the same colour! A universal person - oh, in an ideal world, just think, the possibilities are endless!
Julie

johno
24-Aug-07, 22:03
splitting the atom...really the consequenses that it gave

mccaugm
24-Aug-07, 22:19
I would have put a stop to putting the Bush(es) in power in America...reckon the world would be a much sweeter place without that American cock-up. The Iraq war would not have happened, Blair would not have been entwined in the mess and our boys out there would still be alive....[evil]

Anne x
24-Aug-07, 22:21
I would have put a stop to putting the Bush(es) in power in America...reckon the world would be a much sweeter place without that American cock-up. The Iraq war would not have happened, Blair would not have been entwined in the mess and our boys out there would still be alive....[evil]

and Blair and his shower

jsherris
24-Aug-07, 22:23
Hang on... I'm now wondering whether Johno would have split the atom into equal pieces so there was enough for everyone.... and Ax doesn't like clean politicians....... Hmmm....:lol:

Anne x
24-Aug-07, 22:23
answer to both probably Yes

Tubthumper
24-Aug-07, 22:26
I'd refuse that fourth drink, on the 17th september 1988, in Cadillacs Bar, Bielefeld, Germany. I'm sure the world would be a much better place.

Kenn
24-Aug-07, 22:30
I would abolish religion, been the biggest curse of human kind, if we could just remember to respect our fellow man and our invironment then the the world would turn a little smoother.

scorrie
24-Aug-07, 22:54
You know what I'd change? I'd go way way back & make everyone in the world the same colour!
Julie

I would have everyone in the world talking the same language. If you think about people from different parts of the world meeting up for the first time, the inability to speak the other's language is an immediate barrier to understanding and respect.

I remember the arcade machine Galaxians in the early 80's and the instructions had been translated from Japanese to English. The new language (Jinglish?) was trying to convey the fact that you could guide the missile after release by moving your spaceship left and right. The result of the translation came out as:-

"Be shoot at the alien to control the space rocket"

northener
24-Aug-07, 22:56
I really, really, should have got rid of that lampshade.

scorrie
24-Aug-07, 22:58
I would abolish religion, been the biggest curse of human kind, if we could just remember to respect our fellow man and our invironment then the the world would turn a little smoother.

Quite agree about religion being a barrier to people getting along with each other. Do you think that it would help to be able to go back in time and amend the early copies of the Bible, so that the front cover also contained the words "Author - Jeffrey Archer"?

riggerboy
24-Aug-07, 23:04
last fridays lottery numbers

Anne x
24-Aug-07, 23:19
Quite agree about religion being a barrier to people getting along with each other. Do you think that it would help to be able to go back in time and amend the early copies of the Bible, so that the front cover also contained the words "Author - Jeffrey Archer"?

that is just awful !!!

could be worse in this day and age!!!

Lolabelle
24-Aug-07, 23:31

I'd go back and rip a branch off the tree of knowledge of good and evil and whack Eve over the head with it.
Then these two posts would not be necessary. :D

Anne x
24-Aug-07, 23:32
Good Answer
:)

jsherris
24-Aug-07, 23:34
So, if we were all one colour, and had a universal language with no religion...... what on earth would we find to quibble about?? :eek:

thefugitive1993
24-Aug-07, 23:51
So, if you could go back in time - to any time, what ONE thing would YOU change about our world?
The only rule is that you are NOT to have any direct personal gain! (So, NO, you can't go back 1 week with the latest lottery numbers!)

You know what I'd change? I'd go way way back & make everyone in the world the same colour! A universal person - oh, in an ideal world, just think, the possibilities are endless!
Julie

OK, So by the rules of the game, we can go back in time and change any one thing.

Even accepting that we could move to a different time; how on earth could we choose a "universal colour". Well choosing might be straightforward, but making the change seems beyond human application.

Keen to know what the colour would be, an inoffensive, blend of the existing colours, an arian supremist white, magnanimous brown?

Perhaps evolution got it wrong here, there can't be a practical use for the current melanin distribution after all.

crayola
25-Aug-07, 00:14
I quite like being pale blue. It would be nice if everyone else was pale blue too. Look at my pic and disagree. If you dare. ;)

crayola
25-Aug-07, 00:16
I'd refuse that fourth drink, on the 17th september 1988, in Cadillacs Bar, Bielefeld, Germany. I'm sure the world would be a much better place.But then you'd have never have met me and your life would have been so much the poorer.

Anne x
25-Aug-07, 00:17
wouldn't dare :)

Lolabelle
25-Aug-07, 00:22
I quite like being pale blue. It would be nice if everyone else was pale blue too. Look at my pic and disagree. If you dare. ;)

I'm with you, if we had a universal colour, I would like pale blue too. [lol] And as it is a non person colour currently, it couldn't offend anyone.
Except really cold people, and ones with bad circulation.

Tubthumper
25-Aug-07, 00:23
But then you'd have never have met me and your life would have been so much the poorer.
Oh No! It Was You!
I know it was great but can I have my brain back please...?

crayola
25-Aug-07, 00:24
Yay Lolabelle, I sense the nucleation of a global movement.

crayola
25-Aug-07, 00:26
Oh No! It Was You!
I know it was great but can I have my brain back please...?With great pleasure. I need the room in the stair cupboard but do you know how to get those darned pickles out without destroying its contents? :confused

Tubthumper
25-Aug-07, 00:36
The pickles were the best bits!

crayola
25-Aug-07, 00:55
I know. I lied to you. I fed them to the dog 10 years ago. I'm sorry.

If I could have changed one thing I'd have fed the dog differently.

Oddquine
25-Aug-07, 01:12
So, if we were all one colour, and had a universal language with no religion...... what on earth would we find to quibble about?? :eek:

Well, Scotland would still be wanting independence! :lol:

Anne x
25-Aug-07, 01:33
I think not!!![lol]

jsherris
25-Aug-07, 01:53
You lot are funny... I'd go with the blue... maybe a purply kind of blue actually, that would be fine.

I guess sometimes, I just get a bit fed up with people around me (not on here) making assumptions based on the colour of someone's skin, size, sex - well, anything really - I sometimes feel surrounded by bigots and hypocrites & it makes me feel really sad.

I had a rather heated debate with a guy who wholeheartedly believes in UFO's & aliens... fair enough, what makes us think we're so special that we're the only ones around in our universe anyway?
The problem I had though, was that he was anti-asian, anti-gay, anti-anything that wasn't white supremacist UK born & bred. :roll:
My argument was that if he couldn't accept his fellow man, how could he accept alien life forms then?
He didn't appreciate the debate mind, & I don't think I'm on his chrimbo card list!

And as for pickles...... yes, pickled everything... but NOT beetroot, please ban that - beetroot is MUCH better au naturelle!
Julie
x

jsherris
25-Aug-07, 02:00

Scorrie..... if it was written by Jeffrey Archer, would it get read out on Jackanory??

Haha, Julie
x

Ricco
25-Aug-07, 07:44

Hee, hee. You would have to abolish man-kind then. Even the cave-men had their own form of religion. It was possibly one of the first intellectual jumps that we made. ;)

Ricco
25-Aug-07, 07:49
Personally, I would abolish the infernal combustion engine. It has led to many of today's problems - global warming, war, pollution, traffic accidents. Now, you don't get wee kiddies being run down by a horse, do you. And it makes war much less likely - its too easy to push a button and blow up a town than it is going one-on-one with swords.;)

paris
25-Aug-07, 08:10
If i could change one thing in the world it would be that no one thought of caging animals or making them domesticated, everything would be free to roam as it should be, no zoo`s no birds in cages for our pleasure, no cows held in fields to be eaten at some stage, you know what i mean everything being free. Jan x

cuddlepop
25-Aug-07, 13:14
I left college in 85 with a catering management HND I was so loved up and desperate to get married I stayed up in Skye and was married that year.
I dont regret getting married I have three fantastic kids but I wished I done that extra year at Strathclyde uni and got my degree.
I find it so difficult to get back into studying and now its going to take me years to get that degree.
Marry in haste and repent at leisure springs to mind.:eek:

BRIE
25-Aug-07, 13:52
i would do away with dole benefit! too many lazy yobs about these days scrounging of the state.

rockchick
25-Aug-07, 15:58
It sounds like you are describing the Smurfs! Everyone with blue skin, everyone getting along...no problems at all (at least until Gargamel shows up)

As for me? If I could change one thing about the world, I'd make it so that everyone could sing in tune and loved music.

jsherris
25-Aug-07, 16:04
It sounds like you are describing the Smurfs! Everyone with blue skin, everyone getting along...no problems at all (at least until Gargamel shows up)

As for me? If I could change one thing about the world, I'd make it so that everyone could sing in tune and loved music.
Rockchick.... could you start with me... please? :o

'This' side of my ears, I have a truly wonderful voice - much better than the finest singers of our little universe... Andy & the girls however, who live on the other side of my ears tell me it is a MUCH different story...... [lol]

Guess you won't be seeing me on X Factor anytime soon then!

scorrie
25-Aug-07, 18:38
that is just awful !!!

could be worse in this day and age!!!

There is no evidence that we would be any worse off without the bible. In any case we have no idea who actually wrote what is contained within the bible or whether it truly represents what it is claimed to.

My point was, that if Jeffrey Archer was accredited with having written the bible, then perhaps we might be able to take it a little less seriously. On the bonus side, it would probably sell more copies as well.

scorrie
25-Aug-07, 18:46
OK, So by the rules of the game, we can go back in time and change any one thing.

Even accepting that we could move to a different time; how on earth could we choose a "universal colour". Well choosing might be straightforward, but making the change seems beyond human application.

Keen to know what the colour would be, an inoffensive, blend of the existing colours, an arian supremist white, magnanimous brown?

Perhaps evolution got it wrong here, there can't be a practical use for the current melanin distribution after all.

Surely it doesn't matter what the colour is, just as long as everyone is the same?

According to Blue Mink the "Melting Pot" would be turning out Coffee Coloured people by the score. I reckon some of their lyrics would need amending for today's PC world though!!

jsherris
25-Aug-07, 19:03
There is no evidence that we would be any worse off without the bible. In any case we have no idea who actually wrote what is contained within the bible or whether it truly represents what it is claimed to.

My point was, that if Jeffrey Archer was accredited with having written the bible, then perhaps we might be able to take it a little less seriously. On the bonus side, it would probably sell more copies as well.

Oh, I know I really truly shouldn't be laughing....

But I just can't help it! [lol]

karia
25-Aug-07, 19:07
Hi Folks,

I would find a certain Mr & Mrs Roberts, Grantham greengrocers and I would do whatever it took to render them infertile..thus sparing the world from..

...The THATCHER YEARS!:mad:

Karia

jsherris
25-Aug-07, 19:13
I'm so glad I started this thread,,, some of the things you would do... well, they've made me laugh!

My hubby does this sort of thing at work... he calls it 'throwing in a hand grenade'.
He asks the lads a question, they all start to discuss, debate, argue, etc....
He slides off to work on his robots for an hour or so in peace & quiet & when he returns, they're still going at it!

Yesterday's question was.. "If you could have absolutely NO interference in any way & could never actually USE any inside knowledge, would you want to travel in time for a day, just for a nosey, like. And what date would you pick.... in the past or future?"
He started that at morning break & they were still hassling with it after lunch!
[lol]

Victoria
25-Aug-07, 19:20
Personally, I would abolish the infernal combustion engine. It has led to many of today's problems - global warming, war, pollution, traffic accidents. Now, you don't get wee kiddies being run down by a horse, do you. And it makes war much less likely - its too easy to push a button and blow up a town than it is going one-on-one with swords.;)

I got run over by a bmx once :~(

karia
25-Aug-07, 19:30
Isn't all discussion good Julie?

Saves entrenched opinions.

Does hubby ever state his case or just give the 'workers' something to stretch their minds while he slopes off to deal with robots, happy in the knowledge that, like the Times Crossword he has got everyones brain cells a movin' ?

Todays conundrum is?:roll:

Karia

jsherris
25-Aug-07, 19:39
Hi Folks,

I would find a certain Mr & Mrs Roberts, Grantham greengrocers and I would do whatever it took to render them infertile..thus sparing the world from..

...The THATCHER YEARS!

Karia
Karia...

Andy's just told me that if he could, he would have gone back & married our Maggie himself! :eek:
He's just told me how many children he would have given her, how he would have fallen at her feet..... oh dear, there's just NO hope for him whatsoever.... but it is funny watching him declare his love for the Iron Lady! [lol]

And no, he doesn't often state his case... they're all too opinionated to listen to anyone else in the first place!

karia
25-Aug-07, 19:48
Honey,...what can I say!

Deepest sympathies....Divorce is easier here in Scotland..especially where 'unreasonable behaviour' is concerned!;)

Don't know about Ireland![lol]

Karia

Julia
25-Aug-07, 22:42
I would hide the original bible [lol]

footie chick
25-Aug-07, 22:50
I would make Rhys Jones take a different route home .

anneoctober
25-Aug-07, 23:33
Erase the fat/cellulite gene......[disgust]

Aaldtimer
26-Aug-07, 01:03
Karia, I'm with you 100% on that one!
jsherris, do you realise that you're married to a masochist?

crayola
26-Aug-07, 01:27
I would make Rhys Jones take a different route home .I am with you here footie chick. It was horrifying to see the sheer agony on Rhys' mother's face at Goodison Park this afternoon. I cannot even begin to imagine how his parents feel. :~(

jsherris
26-Aug-07, 03:17
Honey,...what can I say!

Deepest sympathies....Divorce is easier here in Scotland..especially where 'unreasonable behaviour' is concerned!

Don't know about Ireland!

Karia

Karia, I'm with you 100% on that one!
jsherris, do you realise that you're married to a masochist?
Yes, Aaldtimer, I know full well how much of a masochist he is..... after all, he's married to me & still here after 9 years! [lol]

Bless him - Karia, divorce is a lot harder in Ireland you know, but then it works both ways I guess, I can put up with him being a thatcherite, if he can put up with me spending all his money ;)

And anyway, if he does end up choosing this job at Cadbury's, you know what I'll be fetching to Caithness on our hols next year, don't you!

Boozeburglar
26-Aug-07, 03:18
Jesus

What are you all doing up at this time of night?

;)

jsherris
26-Aug-07, 03:28
Jesus

What are you all doing up at this time of night?

Haha.... Pot... kettle......

Seriously though, I've just done battle with a woman who lives down the road...... her Mum lives opposite me & there's a long bad history - daughter has attacked & scarred her mum with a knife before & has a long drug history....
Both women were on their way home tonight & daughter spotted mum & all hell broke loose... so good old Jules to the rescue had to keep the idiot woman contained & away from mum for nearly 2 hours whilst waiting for police!
At the same time dodging blows from her fist & handbag.... then a bottle which she grabbed from the back alley & trying to keep the neighbours (and my hubby) at bay too.

There.... now I'm not in the slightest bit tired & waiting to give a statement when the cops have finished booking her into the nearest cells!

And your excuse is...... ??? [lol]

:D Julie

botheed
26-Aug-07, 10:03
bring back hanging